Overstay blacklisting starts in March

And you think this will suddenly stop over staying and all those currently over staying are suddenly going to get a twinge of guilt and run to immigration to hand themselves in I think not. Those overstaying will be deeply embedded in there chosen location and will stay that way. Again there is no firm this will happen just yet another interpretation of a story.

If it is true and comes into effect as predicted, what it will do is take away the option of paying the 20,000 baht fine and come straight back again. Unless they sort themselves out before March next year. IMO, this announcement is the last chance given by immigration for people in the predicament to sort their shirt (rolleyes.gif ) out before the real crying starts. It has been on the cards for long enough already.

I also think that the OP has just taken some of the expected rules from the original (marked up) document, there will be more changes I'm sure. For those that don't think there will be any change for up to 90 days overstay, then you are being a lot more optimistic than I could ever be. Hope I am wrong though.

If someone is here on overstay and has no contact with the general public and therefore no risk of being questioned by the police, then not much will change. Just hope they are happy with the lifestyle.

I would imagine most long term overstayers do so because they have no money and can't afford to pay the 20k overstay fine, and get another visa. If they all left tomorrow I doubt it would make a jot of difference to the economy. Anyone overstaying through choice deserves to get thrown out and banned.

Moreover they can't afford flights home either.

If they are serious about getting rid of the over stayers then they should have a one month amnesty before the new rules apply.

Without the worry or fear of paying a fine or being locked up, they have an opportunity to contact family for help to get back home.

There again there will be some who have nothing, or no one to go back to!

they have had years to do that. if they have nothing what are they contributing to the economy?

Aint gonna happen they need to change thai immigration laws (to make over stay a CRIMINAL offence) and what they propose is against the United Nations signatory that Thailand signed up to be a member of

Still the next 70 pages will be interesting as usualcoffee1.gif

This has nothing to do with the EU. Singapore, jails overstays for a minimum of 6 months, cane them and then ban them for 5 years of entering Singapore. Malaysia has the same laws and the UN has nothing to do with it.

• Like 2

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

The dog ate your visa application? There were no more buses? Doubtful, they would get upset at lame excuses other than shake their heads and accept your overstay fine.

This new program is about introducing consequences for people who turn overstays into a "lifestyle", 555

I doubt very much that anyone with over 5 years of overstay will turn themselves in.

Just stay under the radar and continue.

Even over stayers contribute to the economy.

They might publish it in the newspaper with the faces, full name and how long they are on overstay. They do it in Singapore for years already.

There are hundreds if not thousands of expats just marking time here ,staying under the action trying not to get noticed on their overstay.Some are actual bums on the beach without funds to go home.Some just don't care.If the Immigration Department did a sweep of about two or three hours in Pattaya the jails would be full.

Edited by sanukjim

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

The dog ate your visa application? There were no more buses? Doubtful, they would get upset at lame excuses other than shake their heads and accept your overstay fine.

This new program is about introducing consequences for people who turn overstays into a "lifestyle", 555

Believe it or not all the time I have been in Thailand, I only had one overstay, and that was because ....... on the day I had to go, I waited and waited (at 6:30am) for the Van to pick me up, but it didn't show up. Called the contact number but no one answered (no surprise there ;)). Waited till 8:00am and made my way to the company and there they told me the Van broke down.

Did my Run the next day and the company even paid for mine and all the other guys overstay. So you see an accidental overstay CAN happen.

:wai:

Edited by MJCM

Same news source that said blacklisting laws were on the way back in 2014 http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-30239870.html

Will believe it when I see it.

The difference between now and then is that the Ministry of the Interior have now approved the immigrations proposal. If the report is correct that it's going for Royal approval then it means it's now also passed the PM/cabinet. If so then in March it will be posted in the Royal gazette and 60 days later bans will start being handed out.

• Like 1

Been here this time for 15 years and I am still learning about the Immigration Department's ways.Departed Thailand in April 2015,returned ion July 2,2015 on a reentry visa .My retirement visa was renewed on the 8 September 2015.Assuming the 90 day reporting was also done at this time. I returned to Immigration for my 90 day report on 3 December 2015.Informed that I am now over stayed received a 2,000 baht fine. Renewal of a Retirement Visa is not reporting for 90 day.There is no logic to this and since TIT I smiled and was polite and said that I understood and thank you.

Edited by sanukjim

The difference between now and then is that the Ministry of the Interior have now approved the immigrations proposal.

You mean there's one line in the news saying that's the case. What has actually happened we don't know. Don't believe everything you read in the media.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, the Bangkok Post just posted an article on subject at 7:26pm. Sorry...can't post the link...go to the Bangkok Post website.

The article said PM Prayut approved the immigration proposal on 27 Nov to fine and blacklist overstayers. The article also talks about it as a "regulation"; not a law.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Quality visitors do not overstay any ware for 5 years and as for the insignificant 20000 baht fines should be raised to 1000000 baht that might be a deterrent to the reprobate over stayers and keep the small trivial fines 20000 for not wearing seatbelts or not wearing a certified crash helmet while riding a motorbike.

The last of the high rollers speaks. As the man stated has any of these overstays effected you? Your acting like a Christmas Grinch show a little forgiveness that is why a certain someone died for you. Throwing figures like a million bahts around really shows that your like the star in the movie I watched the other night (for the 5th) time. 1975 The Man Who Would Be King. Your really showing your dark side in making comments like that.

• Like 2

This is long overdue.

No point to having a rgulation that is not properly enforced.

Properly enforcing regulations require organization and uniformity in order to be effective. Typically, responsibility and accountability from all parties involved yield positive results.

It's apparent that these traits have been elusive and the results of arbitrary lawmaking continue to confuse and frustrate.

wasn't this addressed not so long ago,and the main overstayers were Burmese and lao people,and farang overstayers were very small????

Laotians overstay all the time and when they do go back to Laos they pay a minimal fine, irrespective of how long they've overstayed.

I doubt the new penalties will ever come fully into effect, but even if they do, I suspect overstaying Laotians will get off lightly.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

Aint gonna happen they need to change thai immigration laws (to make over stay a CRIMINAL offence) and what they propose is against the United Nations signatory that Thailand signed up to be a member of

Still the next 70 pages will be interesting as usualcoffee1.gif

This has nothing to do with the EU. Singapore, jails overstays for a minimum of 6 months, cane them and then ban them for 5 years of entering Singapore. Malaysia has the same laws and the UN has nothing to do with it.

Agree that it has nothing to do with EU (though I think the poster said UN, not quite the same) & if it was then every country would be guilty of the same charge of deporting/blacklisting people who abuse their visa system.

But going to call BS on Singapore Imprisoning/Caning people as the reality is that they stick you in their IDC equivalent until you can pay for a flight out, no further fine but you will get ban of 1-10years depending on the individual circumstances.

Any ban of any kind & you have to seek permission from Singapore ICA before you can come back...

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

What's a "quality visitor" and how will they be screened? ... This is a good step though, and should be followed up with a total ban on visa runners who are abusing the regulations.

Visa Exempts are already tracked and scrutinized. If they considered what those on repeat TVs do "abuse" they would simply state a max per-year on TVs. If 9-mo max, I would plan a time when my GF and I would spend 3 months out of country.

Downside is, she would hate it. More suffering on her part than mine, so be careful what you wish for - given who it is most likely to be harmed the most.

There again there will be some who have nothing, or no one to go back to!

You are singing my tune - I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to return to the nation of my birth. Thankfully, I have the means to travel for visas, or relocate to another nation if that fails.

Believe it or not all the time I have been in Thailand, I only had one overstay, and that was because ....... on the day I had to go, I waited and waited (at 6:30am) for the Van to pick me up, but it didn't show up. Called the contact number but no one answered (no surprise there wink.png). Waited till 8:00am and made my way to the company and there they told me the Van broke down.

Did my Run the next day and the company even paid for mine and all the other guys overstay. So you see an accidental overstay CAN happen. wai.gif

There are these things called "busses" that run from "bus stations" and some of those head to border-towns ... Ok, I don't know where you live, so maybe that wasn't an option - but had me thinking what I would do at about 7:30AM that morning - if I hadn't already left 3 days prior.

Edited by JackThompson

The rules mentioned before did not start the banning until 90 days was reached.

This article only mentions one year or more.

So 80 days of overstay and you're still good to go? No ban at all until 90 days?

The bans proposed by immigration had no ban for overstaying under 90 days IF you surrendered. But if arrested you could be banned even if the overstay was 1 day. Based on the OP the proposed rules have been amended so that only someone overstaying more than 1 year gets banned.

Bangkok Post says differently today.

"For cases of surrender, those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban, and for more than one year they will be banned from re-entering Thailand for three years."

Sorry to use Bangkok Post as a source, I guess that is inappropriate. But it is just to avoid some misunderstanding in this matter.

The Nation let the above text out, but it doesn`t mean that it`s not there.

Edited by thaibreaker

Funny ... The Thai Visa Terrorism Experts seem to have gone to sleep.

Am I the only one who thinks it is brillaint to finally take inventory of foreigners and find out who the hell is in the Kingdom?

Is is lost on everyone that this creates a scenerio where the police can walk up and demand to see your papers and have a "regulation" they need to enforce?

If you are a person who is stuck on overstay with nothing to really hide, go immedialty and pay the fine and straighten it out.

By the way, to others like me who are here on retirement visas ... get down off your high horses ... for us .. it is incredibly easy to be here.

Imagine yourself 30 years old, and wanting to stay here for plenty of great reasons .. you too would have been tempted to play the 20,000 THB, catch me if you can game.

Stop with your high and mighty attitude if you are lucky enough to have a retirement visa.

Edited by Guest

I'd wait until it the royal decree is actually published.

I wonder about people who started their overstay before March 2016.

If it affected me (it doesn't) I certainly wouldn't wait until the last minute.

Overstayers have been given virtually a 3 month grace period to get sorted out after which there will be no excuse.

• Like 1