Overstay blacklisting starts in March

I'd wait until it the royal decree is actually published.

I wonder about people who started their overstay before March 2016.

My friend was at immigration here in Pattaya yesterday. He had to sign a form indicating he understood these new rules. Seems they are instituting this already????

This signing of the forms has been effect (to my knowledge) already 1 year+

The last time I did an extension of stay at Jomtien Immigration (around 1.5 years ago) I also had to sign such a form

That's what I thought also. I just did my mother's extension 3 weeks ago or so. Didn't have to sign anything. TiT!!

• Like 1

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

The rules mentioned before did not start the banning until 90 days was reached.

This article only mentions one year or more.

So 80 days of overstay and you're still good to go? No ban at all until 90 days?

The bans proposed by immigration had no ban for overstaying under 90 days IF you surrendered. But if arrested you could be banned even if the overstay was 1 day. Based on the OP the proposed rules have been amended so that only someone overstaying more than 1 year gets banned.

Quality visitors do not overstay any ware for 5 years and as for the insignificant 20000 baht fines should be raised to 1000000 baht that might be a deterrent to the reprobate over stayers and keep the small trivial fines 20000 for not wearing seatbelts or not wearing a certified crash helmet while riding a motorbike.

My lawyer said they do this every so often to get people to panic and pay up by paying their overstay fines.

Last year I had to go and get my visa done 2 months before this was due to get enforced and had an overstay on it ( I couldn't afford it due to being disabled and having to pay for someone to fly with me etc ) I borrowed the money , went to the airport ,paid the fine and was back 3 days later !

2 months later nothing was enforced and is still the same as far as I know.

Quality visitors do not overstay any ware for 5 years and as for the insignificant 20000 baht fines should be raised to 1000000 baht that might be a deterrent to the reprobate over stayers and keep the small trivial fines 20000 for not wearing seatbelts or not wearing a certified crash helmet while riding a motorbike.

The 20k fine is definitely too low and out of date. It was set over 30 years ago.

But IMO banning people is more of a deterrent. An increased fine without bans would probably just increase the number of overstayers.

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

So 80 days of overstay and you're still good to go? No ban at all until 90 days?

The bans proposed by immigration had no ban for overstaying under 90 days IF you surrendered. But if arrested you could be banned even if the overstay was 1 day. Based on the OP the proposed rules have been amended so that only someone overstaying more than 1 year gets banned.

If that proves to be true I doubt immigration will be pleased as such an amendment would add very few "teeth" to the present situation. The "clever" people will overstay by some 364 days, pay the fine, exit and immediately return.

My expectation is for the "new" overstay rules to much stricter.

That is not correct. The wording of the announcement was not perfect, but the new rules were only for people overstaying more than 90 days whether they surrendered or was arrested. The confusion were caused by the section about being arrested only distinguishing between under/over one year, but the headline had already outlined that the regulation were for people overstaying more than 90 days. This was extensively discussed when the announcement came out a year and a half (I think) ago.

I think it's likely that we are still talking about the same regulation, and that the article in The Nation is just cherry-picking some of the more headline grabbing consequences of the changes. Quoting the new regulation in its entirety would probably be too convoluted for the average news reader without personal interest in foreigners on overstay. But time will tell.

Sophon

And you think this will suddenly stop over staying and all those currently over staying are suddenly going to get a twinge of guilt and run to immigration to hand themselves in I think not. Those overstaying will be deeply embedded in there chosen location and will stay that way. Again there is no firm this will happen just yet another interpretation of a story.

• Like 1

My lawyer said they do this every so often to get people to panic and pay up by paying their overstay fines.

Last year I had to go and get my visa done 2 months before this was due to get enforced and had an overstay on it ( I couldn't afford it due to being disabled and having to pay for someone to fly with me etc ) I borrowed the money , went to the airport ,paid the fine and was back 3 days later !

2 months later nothing was enforced and is still the same as far as I know.

You're right that it has been threatened before but this is the first report that I have seen that mentions a Royal Decree. It will have to be posted in the Royal Gazette before being enforced. So it looks odds on that blacklisting is coming.

At least they are giving people time to sort themselves out. IMO it will be 60 days after it gets posted in the Gazette before coming in to force so it looks like it will be May/June 2016 before bans get handed out.

• Like 1

I'll believe it when I see it.

The article says a "law." Has the cabinet blessed it, has the puppet Parliament reviewed/voted on the law?

The problem I have with this article is it's a Nation news release and a police "major general" (dime a dozen in Thailand) is making the statement....making it sound like a done deal. Yea I know he's the immigration bureau chief.

Edited by Pib

That is not correct. The wording of the announcement was not perfect, but the new rules were only for people overstaying more than 90 days whether they surrendered or was arrested. The confusion were caused by the section about being arrested only distinguishing between under/over one year, but the headline had already outlined that the regulation were for people overstaying more than 90 days. This was extensively discussed when the announcement came out a year and a half (I think) ago.

I think it's likely that we are still talking about the same regulation, and that the article in The Nation is just cherry-picking some of the more headline grabbing consequences of the changes. Quoting the new regulation in its entirety would probably be too convoluted for the average news reader without personal interest in foreigners on overstay. But time will tell.

Sophon

It is correct. The immigration proposal was crystal clear. If apprehended overstays of less than 1 year get banned for 5 years. That would include 1 day.

The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

Overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year

Overstay more than 1 year forbidden 3 years

Overstay more than 3 years forbidden 5 years

Overstay more than 5 years forbidden 10 years

In the case that alien is being apprehended

Overstay less than 1 year forbidden 5 years

Overstay more than 1 years forbidden 10 years

The Nation article only talks about bans only for those overstaying more than 1 year.

Quality visitors do not overstay any ware for 5 years and as for the insignificant 20000 baht fines should be raised to 1000000 baht that might be a deterrent to the reprobate over stayers and keep the small trivial fines 20000 for not wearing seatbelts or not wearing a certified crash helmet while riding a motorbike.[/quote

And a merry bah humbug to you sir have any over stayers directly affected you sir!!!

• Like 2

The article says a "law." Has the cabinet blessed it, has the puppet Parliament reviewed/voted on the law?

The problem I have with this article is it's a Nation news release and a police "major general" (dime a dozen in Thailand) is making the statement....making it sound like a done deal. Yea I know he's the immigration bureau chief.

Pib, with all respect the most important sentence in the OP has to be this.

The royal decree on the blacklisting is expected to be promulgated in late March,

wai.gif

Aint gonna happen they need to change thai immigration laws (to make over stay a CRIMINAL offence) and what they propose is against the United Nations signatory that Thailand signed up to be a member of

Still the next 70 pages will be interesting as usualcoffee1.gif

they are changing the laws and it has nohing to do with the UN
  • Like 2

Sophon

It is correct. The immigration proposal was crystal clear. If apprehended overstays of less than 1 year get banned for 5 years. That would include 1 day.

The aliens who violate The Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying more than 90 days in the Kingdom of Thailand will be forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for a certain period of time as follow ;

The Nation article only talks about bans only for those overstaying more than 1 year.

Again, you are not correct. The regulation clearly starts out by outlining that the regulation is about aliens overstaying more than 90 days. If such a person is apprehended the penalties are more severe with anyone overstaying less than 1 year (but still more than 90 days) being banned for 5 years where they would only have been banned one year if they turned themselves in. But I don't want to start up that discussion again, if anyone is interested they can read the old (very long) thread and make their own mind up.

Yes, the (very short) Nation article only talks about penalties for overstays of more than one year, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have removed the penalties for overstaying less than one year. But as I said, time will tell.,

Sophon

• Like 1

Pib, with all respect the most important sentence in the OP has to be this.

The royal decree on the blacklisting is expected to be promulgated in late March,

wai.gif

That always the last step/rubber stamp for a new law that has passed the cabinet and Parliament.

Has the cabinet blessed and the Parliment passed the law as described by the good major general? Or is it just under review by the cabinet/Parliament and the good major general is assuming it will pass into law?

I'd wait until it the royal decree is actually published.

I wonder about people who started their overstay before March 2016.

My friend was at immigration here in Pattaya yesterday. He had to sign a form indicating he understood these new rules. Seems they are instituting this already????

I think it was the same form they have been getting people to sign since May of last year.

I have had to sign it for 2 extension now.

Is this notification in English or Thai?

I think it's all in Thai.

Very few farangs can probably understand what they are signing.

English

I would imagine most long term overstayers do so because they have no money and can't afford to pay the 20k overstay fine, and get another visa. If they all left tomorrow I doubt it would make a jot of difference to the economy. Anyone overstaying through choice deserves to get thrown out and banned.

Moreover they can't afford flights home either.

If they are serious about getting rid of the over stayers then they should have a one month amnesty before the new rules apply.

Without the worry or fear of paying a fine or being locked up, they have an opportunity to contact family for help to get back home.

There again there will be some who have nothing, or no one to go back to!

• Like 2

Again, you are not correct. The regulation clearly starts out by outlining that the regulation is about aliens overstaying more than 90 days. If such a person is apprehended the penalties are more severe with anyone overstaying less than 1 year (but still more than 90 days) being banned for 5 years where they would only have been banned one year if they turned themselves in. But I don't want to start up that discussion again, if anyone is interested they can read the old (very long) thread and make their own mind up.

Yes, the (very short) Nation article only talks about penalties for overstays of more than one year, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have removed the penalties for overstaying less than one year. But as I said, time will tell.,

Sophon

Ok. Thank you. I see your point! And agree that I am probably wrong. wai.gif I was focused of the bans alone!

I've read the OP, is there any mention of increased fines, over and above what is charged now?

No. They would have to change the immigration act to charge more than 20k.

Its in the process. We heard it in the office just yesterday that the fine will be 500 Baht per day with no limit.

More changes on the way for Edu and Business visas. Multiply Entries of any kind will have to be applied by next year in the home country but some countries will not be affected of which the Thai government have negotiated some special visa commitments with foreign governments. The METV visa was just for a starter,

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1