Overstay blacklisting starts in March

This will be interesting. Will they actually use their computer system to check arrival cards against visa issues against departure cards?

As far as I've seen, the immigration staff use their computers as paperweights for the amazing volume of paper they require.

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Immigration Bureau could start blacklisting foreigners who stay beyond their visa period with effect from March 2016.

COULD??? So this proposed law is not yet confirmed to be enacted fully? But somehow i still see 20+ pages of TVF speculation coming.

Yes. Still just speculation.

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Immigration Bureau could start blacklisting foreigners who stay beyond their visa period with effect from March 2016.

COULD??? So this proposed law is not yet confirmed to be enacted fully? But somehow i still see 20+ pages of TVF speculation coming.

Yes. Still just speculation.

The royal decree on the blacklisting is expected to be promulgated in late March

Edited by MJCM

I'd wait until it the royal decree is actually published.

I wonder about people who started their overstay before March 2016.

My friend was at immigration here in Pattaya yesterday. He had to sign a form indicating he understood these new rules. Seems they are instituting this already????

My friend was at immigration here in Pattaya yesterday. He had to sign a form indicating he understood these new rules. Seems they are instituting this already????

This signing of the forms has been effect (to my knowledge) already 1 year+

The last time I did an extension of stay at Jomtien Immigration (around 1.5 years ago) I also had to sign such a form

• Like 1

I think it was the same form they have been getting people to sign since May of last year.

I have had to sign it for 2 extension now.

This will be interesting. Will they actually use their computer system to check arrival cards against visa issues against departure cards?

I doubt it they cannot even make it work UNIFORMLY for 90 reporting. To much sophistication involved. I would not mind if they could hold up their end with good immigration services (unlike Chiang Mai) online reporting that works and a good online queue system. Now we would have a level playing field but no they do not hold up their end to ease the burden on us instead they think of ways to make it harder. Seniors to old to jump through hoops

Edited by elgordo38
  • Like 2

IMO, they check the combination of name and DOB, but I'm not 100% sure if that is the only thing they check.

Name and DOB will work for some nationalities but not others. Mr Krishna Patel born 1/1/70 for example!

Aint gonna happen they need to change thai immigration laws (to make over stay a CRIMINAL offence) and what they propose is against the United Nations signatory that Thailand signed up to be a member of

Still the next 70 pages will be interesting as usualcoffee1.gif

Good idea,should have happen years ago. If people can't do the right thing get rid of them,they only make it harder for people who are doing the right thing.

I agree with you to a point. Doing the right thing should be a 2 way street. Get online systems for 90 days and online queues that work with at least 20 slots. Man the onsite tables with enough employees so that we do not have to spend the whole day there. Now that the playing field is level then lets look at all these rule additions. You cannot streamline the system on one side and do the horse and buggy thing on the other. We know and they know that the expat community here is exploding and a 10 year old system that has gone non functional over the last year is not the answer. Fair is fair.

I think it was the same form they have been getting people to sign since May of last year.

I have had to sign it for 2 extension now.

Is this notification in English or Thai?

I think it's all in Thai.

Very few farangs can probably understand what they are signing.

I don't understand all this noncence speculation about overstay. If you have nothing to hide just go and pay your fine, leave the country and come back with a visa. There have been visa runs organized in every street corner in the major cities so why haven't you guys used these? Hiding something so you should not be in this country?

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

The rules mentioned before did not start the banning until 90 days was reached.

This article only mentions one year or more.

So 80 days of overstay and you're still good to go? No ban at all until 90 days?

Edited by onetime

This is long overdue.

No point to having a rgulation that is not properly enforced.

I, for one, will be pleased not to read any more posts from those who brag about their extended periods of overstay which are settled with 20,000, followed by an immediate return to the country.