Overstay blacklisting starts in March

I would imagine there are many 1,000s of overstayers who pay into the economy which will have an adverse effect on the Thai economy if it is put into force it seems one step forward and ten steps backwards

So if an overstayer flouts the law but spends money in the supermarket, on accom and the other necessaries he should not be fined ,deported etc ?

"Oh but I help the economy" has nothing to do with it you are a law breaker as is the case in any country

There is absolutely no excuse for being on overstay unless you are illiterate or cant read a calendar.

Seems Thailnd attracts all the scum bags,desperados ,criminals ,paodophiles, time for massive clean up

Attracts a lot of busybodies, too...

• Like 1

Quality visitors do not overstay any ware for 5 years and as for the insignificant 20000 baht fines should be raised to 1000000 baht that might be a deterrent to the reprobate over stayers and keep the small trivial fines 20000 for not wearing seatbelts or not wearing a certified crash helmet while riding a motorbike.[/quote

And a merry bah humbug to you sir have any over stayers directly affected you sir!!!

It doesn't matter if any overstayers affect the posters on TVF.

Strangely enough it is the Thai government that make the rules and not anybody on TVF.

If you have a problem then go to the government and tell them that they are wrong and it is not fair.

I wish you the best of luck with that.

• Like 1

I would imagine most long term overstayers do so because they have no money and can't afford to pay the 20k overstay fine, and get another visa. If they all left tomorrow I doubt it would make a jot of difference to the economy. Anyone overstaying through choice deserves to get thrown out and banned.

Moreover they can't afford flights home either.

If they are serious about getting rid of the over stayers then they should have a one month amnesty before the new rules apply.

Without the worry or fear of paying a fine or being locked up, they have an opportunity to contact family for help to get back home.

There again there will be some who have nothing, or no one to go back to!

They have 3 months amnesty from now until probably the end of March.

If they can't get sorted out during the next 3 months another month won't make any difference.

I overstayed many times because it was de facto legal in Thailand to overstay multiple months or years. Now it seems they try to enforce the law / regulation. Don't quote this and say "the law blah blah" if you don't understand what de facto means, especially in Thailand.

Personally I do not have a problem with it, finally it's over with paying 20,000 THB every couple months out of convenience. Got really into my budget but was kind of a nice lifesytsle that way. Haters gonna hate :).

The only thing what bothers me a bit that they want to have the visas done in the "home country". Hope that will apply only to tourist visas and business visas and not marriage or child support.

• Like 1

Funny ... The Thai Visa Terrorism Experts seem to have fone to sleep.

Am I the only one who thinks it is brillaint to finally take inventory of foreigners and find out who the hell is in the Kingdom?

Is is lost on everyone that this creates a scenerio where the police can walk up and demand to see your papers and have a "regulation" they need to enforce?

If you are a person who is stuck on overstay with nothing to really hide, go immedialty and pay the fine and straighten it out.

By the way, to others like me who are here on retirement visas ... get down off your high horses ... for us .. it is incredibly easy to be here.

Imagine yourself 30 years old, and wanting to stay here for pleanty of great rerasons .. you too would have been tempted to play the 20,000 THB, catch me if you can game.

Stop with your high and mighty attitude if you are lucky enough to have a retirement visa.

And for those of us not eligible for a Retirement visa (below 50), not married to a Thai, don't want/need to work (especially in Thailand) not going to invest 10Million THB & not going to shell out 500k for a TE visa but do believe this is the right thing to do? Are we allowed an opinion from our not so high horse?

End of the day laws are laws, I've no sympathy for anybody who intentionally/deliberately sets out to break them just because they don't suit their personal wants (not needs).

The guys I do feel sorry for are the ones who unintentionally get caught by this (e.g. sudden illness & can't travel, yes you can get a medical certificate but it's not hard to imagine a scenario where somebody is too ill to travel, but not ill enough to get an MC), for whom this clampdown could seriously <deleted> up their lives.

These are the people we should have sympathy for, not somebody who should have the means & ability to travel for a few days every 3 months (& I count myself in this camp).

What about tougher laws on corruption, drink driving, murders, etc?

Agree, but irrelevant to this thread so probably one for another one if you'd like to start one.

Or are you suggesting the 2 are somehow linked? And overstayers should be in the same category as drink drivers/murderers???

Or are you suggesting the 2 are somehow linked?

Why would these new regulations not cross with e.g. corruption? If a big shot with a business and other interests is found to be overstaying he will surely find an agreement somehow, even paying millions of baht. And where big money comes from corruption, drugs and murder is not far away.

I overstayed many times because it was de facto legal in Thailand to overstay multiple months or years. Now it seems they try to enforce the law / regulation. Don't quote this and say "the law blah blah" if you don't understand what de facto means, especially in Thailand.

Personally I do not have a problem with it, finally it's over with paying 20,000 THB every couple months out of convenience. Got really into my budget but was kind of a nice lifesytsle that way. Haters gonna hate smile.png.

The only thing what bothers me a bit that they want to have the visas done in the "home country". Hope that will apply only to tourist visas and business visas and not marriage or child support.

Troll or recently released!

It is in fact illegal, even in Thailand. The only people that have got away with it are those that made it to the border at which point there was no point in sending them through deportation. Ask someone that has been caught and deported how legal it is!

The current law allows for any overstayer to be locked up for up to two years so, thankfully for many, they haven't been applying the law. And only people being deported can automatically be excluded from re-entry, which is also currently not enforced. Obviously the level of piss taking by you and your kind has forced the authorities to take more punitive action.

You are proof that too many believe that overstaying is an viable option and laughably that Thailand allow overstaying. The fact that you are going to change your lifestyle kind of proves that bans are a far bigger deterrent than fines.

Where do you get this from? There are people who have been locked up for up to 15 years at IDC. I know, because I have been there.

No limit of years there, but that only strengtens your point :)

Or are you suggesting the 2 are somehow linked?

Why would these new regulations not cross with e.g. corruption? If a big shot with a business and other interests is found to be overstaying he will surely find an agreement somehow, even paying millions of baht. And where big money comes from corruption, drugs and murder is not far away.

Seriously?

How about a big shot with business & other interests would have no qualms paying 500k for a 5/6 year TE visa?

But again, not the point... Please stick to the topic at hand...

Personally I do not have a problem with it, finally it's over with paying 20,000 THB every couple months out of convenience. Got really into my budget but was kind of a nice lifesytsle that way. Haters gonna hate smile.png.

It is in fact illegal, even in Thailand. The only people that have got away with it are those that made it to the border at which point there was no point in sending them through deportation. Ask someone that has been caught and deported how legal it is!

The current law allows for any overstayer to be locked up for up to two years so, thankfully for many, they haven't been applying the law. And only people being deported can automatically be excluded from re-entry, which is also currently not enforced. Obviously the level of piss taking by you and your kind has forced the authorities to take more punitive action.

You are proof that too many believe that overstaying is an viable option and laughably that Thailand allow overstaying. The fact that you are going to change your lifestyle kind of proves that bans are a far bigger deterrent than fines.

Where do you get this from? There are people who have been locked up for up to 15 years at IDC, if you can`t come up with the funds to fly out. I know, because I have been there.

No limit of years there, but that only strengtens your point smile.png

Edit: Sorry, got it now. They may be locked up for up to two years, even if they have the funds.

Never been enforced I guess. Didn`t know that law, sounds very harsh.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

Seriously?

How about a big shot with business & other interests would have no qualms paying 500k for a 5/6 year TE visa?

Are you kidding me? Have you been in the real world lately? People choose different ways of doing their stuff, regardless of what you would think they should do.

Personally, I haven't ever overstayed since I first set foot in Thailand in the early '80s. It just how I live my life.

But I find all the self-righteous gloating over this disgusting. It certainly seems like it's confined mainly to relative newcomers, who bring their obnoxious attitudes from whatever strict law-and-order Western country they left, apparently hoping to re-create its comfortable authoritarianism in Thailand.

I'd much rather have a beer with ANY overstayer than one of these pernicious creatures.

If anything is going to spoil Thailand, it's the presense, legal, of course, of these boring scum...

Pretty much too late now, I guess.

Yep too late, because all of the "harmless" overstayers that you so much enjoy having a drink with have potentially fcukd it up for all of the guys that through no fault of their own overstay.

Hope that something doesn't happen & for whatever reason you're not able to make be extension in time & so get caught in a trap of their making, pretty sure you wouldn't quite appreciate the charm of your drinking buddies if you did.

• Like 2

I suppose these rules are still pretty tame compared to other countries. But this Border Hopping to stay longer doesn't make much sense to me either. I guess I don't really understand that if someone has funds to support himself, and thus obviously not working here, is only 49 years old or younger, and is not married to a Thai, why he can't just go to Immigration and extend his Tourist Visa as long as he wants. But the rules are the rules and should be followed. .

• Like 1

Personally, I haven't ever overstayed since I first set foot in Thailand in the early '80s. It just how I live my life.

But I find all the self-righteous gloating over this disgusting. It certainly seems like it's confined mainly to relative newcomers, who bring their obnoxious attitudes from whatever strict law-and-order Western country they left, apparently hoping to re-create its comfortable authoritarianism in Thailand.

I'd much rather have a beer with ANY overstayer than one of these pernicious creatures.

If anything is going to spoil Thailand, it's the presense, legal, of course, of these boring scum...

Pretty much too late now, I guess.

so you support the cheats, pissheads and criminal fraternity? Enjoy your beer with an overstayer, soon there wont be so many

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 1

Seriously?

Are you kidding me? Have you been in the real world lately? People choose different ways of doing their stuff, regardless of what you would think they should do.

1) Yep, I live in the real world, apparently in a world that has more options available for consideration than you but it's still very real.

2) We all choose our own paths, I've expressed an opinion, if you have a different one, great, point remains, this thread is about overstayers not corruption.

I note you've left the drink drivers & murderers out.

Edit: I didn't see your earlier post before you replied to one of mine & whilst my opinion stays the same (& I'm on a visa run to Langkawi) I can see that you have a lot more skin in the game with having children in Thailand than I have & (again, IMHO) I think people with strong ties to Thailand (e.g. Having Thai kids... & I'm here with my Filippina common-law wife so no advantage) should have more options for staying with their families.

But (for the last time IMHO) overstaying isn't the right way to go & will end up helping the transients at the expense of hurting the genuine guys.

Ok, one last time, IMHO...

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

I suppose these rules are still pretty tame compared to other countries. But this Border Hopping to stay longer doesn't make much sense to me either. I guess I don't really understand that if someone has funds to support himself, and thus obviously not working here, is only 49 years old or younger, and is not married to a Thai, why he can't just go to Immigration and extend his Tourist Visa as long as he wants. But the rules are the rules and should be followed. .

Name just one Western country which can be entered with a tourist visa that can then be endlessly extended .....................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Where do you get this from? There are people who have been locked up for up to 15 years at IDC. I know, because I have been there.

No limit of years there, but that only strengtens your point smile.png

I'm not referring to the people held at the IDC pending deportation. The penalty for anyone overstaying is up to two years in prison and a maximum of 20k fine or both.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Moral of the story, clear your overstay now and start anew before it is too late.

No point debating over whether this new regulation will actually actualize because when it does and place into effect, you will be over your heels...and the next question you will ask is should I then surrender, pay the fine and face the ban or hide under the radar hoping not to get caught ? laugh.png

What´s gonna happen to the ones with under one year overstay?

The 20k roof still be there?

Amja

Maximum 20k fine imposed for 40+ days overstay

And !

Overstay more than 90 days forbidden 1 year
Overstay more than 1 year forbidden 3 years
Overstay more than 3 years forbidden 5 years
Overstay more than 5 years forbidden 10 years
In the case that alien is being apprehended
Overstay less than 1 year forbidden 5 years
Overstay more than 1 years forbidden 10 years
  • Like 1