Delivery costs from Large Home building supplie store such as Wasadu

50baht

Anyone know what are the standard delivery cost from a Large Home building supply store such as

Wasadu up in Mukdahan ? Cost per Kilometer or by amout purchased ? Free if over 100,000 ? wish

Need Everything from cement to roofing to electric.

can it be done in one trip ?

small house 2 bedroom, 1 bath, porch guessing 60--80 sq meter interiour ?

do they charge extra 3% on Credit cards ? If they take them.

for Mom-in-Law...yes I am a Idiot. but trying to minimize Idiot costs.

thanks

6937bb5158ca32a515e1cd486bc71bd3.jpg

Delivery over 6k baht is free at most of them, spend 100k+ and they'll probably deliver for free and help you build it!

Some places do charge 3% on CC, it's against MC and Visa rules so you can try and play that angle.

Yes my card says no foreign transaction fees, was hoping to recoop fee that Fee for Beer money for the labors.

I guess I'll try to have them state + 3% for Credit card service ?

Funny-memes-this-beer-tastes-like-no-wor

Delivery is normally free within a certain distance (differs from shop to shop but something like 30 km). Beyond that they will charge per km for extra distance, but it's not really that expensive.

No way you will be able to get everything for a whole house build (even for a small house) delivered in one go. Nor would you want to, as trying to estimate how much cement etc. you would need before even starting would probably leave you with a lot of extra when the house is finished. Just order the big stuff such as roof tiles, cement and metal rebar when it's needed. Should you need more cement as you go along (and you will, it's incredible how much cement is needed to build a house), you will probably have a local building supply store close by, where you can order extra when needed. The small local shops don't charge much more (and sometimes even less) that the large, national chains.

Sophon

Delivery over 6k baht is free at most of them, spend 100k+ and they'll probably deliver for free and help you build it!

Some places do charge 3% on CC, it's against MC and Visa rules so you can try and play that angle.

Distance is probale 40-50 kilometers way in the Boonies.

Delivery is normally free within a certain distance (differs from shop to shop but something like 30 km). Beyond that they will charge per km for extra distance, but it's not really that expensive.

No way you will be able to get everything for a whole house build (even for a small house) delivered in one go. Nor would you want to, as trying to estimate how much cement etc. you would need before even starting would probably leave you with a lot of extra when the house is finished. Just order the big stuff such as roof tiles, cement and metal rebar when it's needed. Should you need more cement as you go along (and you will, it's incredible how much cement is needed to build a house), you will probably have a local building supply store close by, where you can order extra when needed. The small local shops don't charge much more (and sometimes even less) that the large, national chains.

Sophon

Great Answer. I wil price local for cement. Get minimum to start from Big Home Supply and then get as needed ?

can't imagine local guys are cheaper but This is Thailand ?

day labour 300 baht for brick and cemnet guys ? 600 for more skills per day ? Isan way up there.

Thai Watsadu generally has a delivery service.

The picture is named "free_service".

I can not find details so far.

From this site:

http://www.thaiwatsadu.com/service.html

Also not sure: there IS a credit card surcharge, 1.6%, but seems only for purchase below 500 Baht???

Time for lunch. Will try to find out details later.

post-99794-0-97738800-1449810086_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

If you do pay by credit card whatever you do don't let them convert it into your home currency. They tried that on me in DoHome in Ubon with the checkout girl claiming the til did it automatically.

The conversion rate is bad.

Correction: of course: 500 Baht minimum purchase for credit card.

And as written 1.6% CC charge applying to certain product groups (most of the building material),

(plus your other cost if using foreign CC)

Seen some vague descriptions that home delivery is free from 25'000 Baht upward.

Free only within 10 km wink.png Quite poor.

Bigger distance for a cost I guess.

Get cash and give the local supply shops a chance.

Likely more obliging service.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If you do pay by credit card whatever you do don't let them convert it into your home currency. They tried that on me in DoHome in Ubon with the checkout girl claiming the til did it automatically.

The conversion rate is bad.

Very important!

Never accept to be charged in your currency.

Can cost you 5% and more with bad exchange rate (DCC, the infamous swindle),

Always in Thai Baht!

Day labour 300 baht/600 for skilled guys.....................oh dear its not quite that simple whistling.gif

Get a quote from someone who can complete the build for labour only should be from a minimum of 2,500 baht/sq.metre up to 3,500 baht.

thumbsup.gif

From this site:

Also not sure: there IS a credit card surcharge, 1.6%, but seems only for purchase below 500 Baht???

attachicon.giffree_service.jpg

I will give you the "generally" but they charged me 150 THB to deliver one piece of 4 inch blue water pipe from their store in Jomtien to Ban Amphur, where Home Mart South of Mimosa delivered the same for free

So, best to ask before you buy, or you might be surprised

On the credit card issue:

You can agree to pay the 3% charge as long as they give you a separate invoice for that charge and spell out exactly what it is for. They wont do that because Visa would bol lock them big time if they found out but if they did, Visa would refund the charge. It's maybe worth a play to try and counter their bluff, I did it once and they backed off from the charge, many more times they did not however!

And also, I find that allowing the merchant to convert Thai Baht into my home currency (Pounds) is very advantageous! Not only do I get an extremely attractive exchange rate that is far better than I could get at a bank here, it also means I don't have to pay a credit card surcharge (by UK bank) for a foreign currency transaction!!! Guys who suggest otherwise need to look at the costs a littler deeper.

Edited by chiang mai

You can agree to pay the 3% charge as long as they give you a separate invoice for that charge and spell out exactly what it is for. They wont do that because Visa would bol lock them big time if they found out but if they did, Visa would refund the charge. It's maybe worth a play to try and counter their bluff, I did it once and they backed off from the charge, many more times they did not however!

And also, I find that allowing the merchant to convert Thai Baht into my home currency (Pounds) is very advantageous! Not only do I get an extremely attractive exchange rate that is far better than I could get at a bank here, it also means I don't have to pay a credit card surcharge (by UK bank) for a foreign currency transaction!!! Guys who suggest otherwise need to look at the costs a littler deeper.

Well that certainly is a new one, must be limited to your British bank only since I always insist at Tesco that the charge be in Thai Baht, allowing a merchant to charge you the Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) rate is not to your advantage in any circumstances

The off shore rate is always better than the onshore rate, and DCC is the onshore rate

post-10942-0-05100000-1449894164_thumb.p

A much better alternative is a bank or credit card that reimburses you for foreign exchange fees in exchange for your business

chiang mai it'll be interesting to see how your figures work out.

Using my home debit card to withdraw 20,200 baht changing into my home currency with DCC from a krung thai ATM costs me the equivalent of 1,250 Baht (Aud $50) more per withdrawal compared to the same amount withdrawn in thai baht.

Ouch I just noticed krung thai are charging 200 baht per withdrawal now.

I'm a wee bit worried for you here seems you think a house can be purchased at one shop in one go. NO get quotes from builders for labor only to your specifications ie lintels in window or not, does it include electric fix ect ect. Then be on site every day as there will be problems, and rather than go to one store (most big diy stores sell rubish and not so rubish stuff be careful you get what you pay for. If you can source materials local which I'm guessing you will be able to (but not with credit cards) so much the better couple of reasons 1 keep the money local 2 you will be making lots of trips to these shops so you can negotiate a good deal. Roof I suggest a proper roofing shop to buy not someone who turns up at build and promises you a good roof at a good price (had a friend do this and paid 40000bht for roof which came the next day,when Technicians went to put up was only enough for three quaters of roof ended up going to a roof company any way then found out it would have been cheer from them anyway). Helps if you can find a plan of a house you like then show it builders they can work around the plan doesn't have to be exactly of plan (loads on internet).above all get on well with your builder and his laborers and be on site every day

Edited by Sutty

Well that certainly is a new one, must be limited to your British bank only since I always insist at Tesco that the charge be in Thai Baht, allowing a merchant to charge you the Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) rate is not to your advantage in any circumstances

The off shore rate is always better than the onshore rate, and DCC is the onshore rate

attachicon.gifDCC.png

A much better alternative is a bank or credit card that reimburses you for foreign exchange fees in exchange for your business

I've looked at my statements and I am mistaken, my apologies for misleading! What was in my head was that the GBP/THB exchange rate using Barclaycard (aka Visa) is better than the onshore Thailand rate although this is often offset to some degree by the foreign transaction fee. Apologies once again.

From this site:

attachicon.giffree_service.jpg

I will give you the "generally" but they charged me 150 THB to deliver one piece of 4 inch blue water pipe from their store in Jomtien to Ban Amphur, where Home Mart South of Mimosa delivered the same for free

So, best to ask before you buy, or you might be surprised

As I wrote later on, free only up from 25'000 Baht and then only 10 km.

Not too great.

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 3 weeks later...

I've paid delivery fees to Buriram Home mart, Buriram Home Mega Mart, Buriram Global House for two houses I have built past the Buriram airport. I've gotten free delivery with a 100,000 baht order from Neo House in Korat. I've yet to get a good enough price for a larger purchase at the Buriram Home Pro or Thai Watsadu for name brand building materials. I've received free deliveries from a family owned builders merchants store located across from the Buriram Provincial Electricity authority for a house near Khong Dong and one past the Buriram airport. No extra fee on a Visa card for most products and I paid cash or bank transfer for AAC blocks, roof tiles, steel, pvc and ready mixed concrete. It would certainly take more than one truck delivery to build most any house. Steel could be one truck, Cement roof tiles another truck. AAC Block wall blocks several trucks in my personal home building experiences.

post-20604-0-16936800-1451754992_thumb.j

post-20604-0-71783800-1451755068_thumb.j

post-20604-0-61876600-1451755124_thumb.j

post-20604-0-07599600-1451755173_thumb.j

post-20604-0-87216700-1451755217_thumb.j

post-20604-0-29292500-1451755948_thumb.j

Edited by kamalabob2

• 2 weeks later...

I've paid delivery fees to Buriram Home mart, Buriram Home Mega Mart, Buriram Global House for two houses I have built past the Buriram airport. I've gotten free delivery with a 100,000 baht order from Neo House in Korat. I've yet to get a good enough price for a larger purchase at the Buriram Home Pro or Thai Watsadu for name brand building materials. I've received free deliveries from a family owned builders merchants store located across from the Buriram Provincial Electricity authority for a house near Khong Dong and one past the Buriram airport. No extra fee on a Visa card for most products and I paid cash or bank transfer for AAC blocks, roof tiles, steel, pvc and ready mixed concrete. It would certainly take more than one truck delivery to build most any house. Steel could be one truck, Cement roof tiles another truck. AAC Block wall blocks several trucks in my personal home building experiences.

Thanks Man GOOD INFO

Only Problem finding a place that takes a USA Credit Card....Up Near Mikdahan