Let's smoke the cow out!

leo200

Smoke is most probably to get rid of the lies/mosquitoes....That makes sometimes some sense if done in moderation and right.

Tried it on my mother in law... didn't work... still the same....

No no....the mother in law you must coat in honey (do you have wasps in the garden? It will help you get rid of the wasps)

I've never seen this, it just sounds odd to me that cows cough because I've never seen it before, poor animals. I had to search on YouTube - sure enough 'The Coughing Cow' and 'Animals who cough'

Edited by jadee

It's to deter mosquitoes. Had a not-so-friendly neighbour who would burn wood and then throw on buffalo dung to create smoke to keep the pests away from his buffaloes. Everyone around was inconvenienced and he was persuaded to stop.

It is to deter mosquitoes, most farmers around here ,and my misses light small fires at dusk time ,when the mosquitoes are at starting to bite , my misses uses grass ,it does work ,for a time ,never during the day

A vet friend of mine has said too much smoke can cause pneumonia in calves ,he also said it can help prevent Ephemeral fever, or 3 day sickness ,main vector are biting midges, mainly during the rainy season ,some reference books say mosquitoes biting can cause, 3 day sickness.

Also tick fever, Babesia and Anaplasmosis , maine vector is the tice, but mosquitoes can cause tick fever after biting an infected animal ,then going on to bite another animal ,so spreading the disease ,mainly a problem with dairy cattle, Thai beef cattle seem to be immune to tice fever , so if done right fire lighting and smoke can help .

As for lighting fires due the day ,waste of time all it does is annoy the neighbours might keep a few flies away ,but if the cattle owner kept his cattle shed clean ,i.e. collected the manure every day ,may be put a bit of lime down ,that would help with the fly and insect problem .no need to light fires .

To turn on a yellow light keeps also the moskito away at the night.

Have seen the yellow light used ,not certain if it works that well ,also on a practical point, a yellow light not over bright ,any problems with the cattle /buffalos at night time not easy to see anything .will need a good torch .been they and brought the tee shirt .

A good solution are fly tags ,a plastic ear tag ,with a slow releasing insecticide ,have used them in the uk . inserted into the ear lobe

But, a big but, you can not get them in Thailand , another look at Google uk a box of 20 tags, 3 250 Bart plus the applicator pliers 600 Bart ,but I think you could use some ear tag pliers available in Thailand ,again about 500 Bart , then plus shipping, and maybe import tax ,not cheap ( Oz and USA maybe cheaper ,uk has 20% VAT) .

Also the animal will have to be restrained, in a crush ,as 90% of farmers do not have any form of cattle handling equipment ,so trying to restrain a semi wild Bahaman thing ,with just a rope tied round its neck, tied to a tree , not easy.

So may be not one of my better ideas ,but if the handling problems could be over come they would work well .

Some of the Thai made cattle tick sprays will work mixed with water , and spray the animals using a knapsack sprayer ,but again the animal will have to be restrained ,some how .

You can see why Thais light the fires .

To turn on a yellow light keeps also the moskito away at the night.

Have seen the yellow light used ,not certain if it works that well ,also on a practical point, a yellow light not over bright ,any problems with the cattle /buffalos at night time not easy to see anything .will need a good torch .been they and brought the tee shirt .

You can see why Thais light the fires .

Try one yellow light. Cost about 120 Bath.

The Thais like the smoke because it's free. The light there must buy.

The best solution is in my eye is to cover the whole stable in this blue plastik net. And sometimes spray the net with some insecticide.

When you build a house for the cows, like we see here, your also building a breeding ground and a house for

mosquitos. cattle have a built in fly, mosquito swatter, tail.

A tail is ok ,but it only does half the body ,look at cattle laid down at night time, the mosquitos are on the neck and shoulders ,and around the head ,where cattle can not get at them ,they spend all they time ,being very unhappy trying to swat mosquitoes with they head ,when they should be laying content, chewing the cud ,producing milk or growing

Mosquito/fly/midges, are a management problem that needs addressing accordingly they tail is nowhere enough, and production does suffer .

Allgeier's idea of the blue netting ,have seen that being used a few times and it does work , cattle are laid down at night content ,but some farmers still light the fires .

Temperature in UK, temperature in Thailand... Excluding the cold season here...

My neighbour's cattle shed is surrounded by mozzies repellent lemongrass plants. No bullocks... It works.

Not the type of lemongrass plant for Tom Yum, another type... Not for Tom Yum. tongue.png The type used to produce Baygon pesticide spray can. I planted them surrounding my pig sheds back then because my empty catfishes ponds bred mozzies... From 100% reduced to 5%. I just need to shake the rows of plants during dusk with my feet to release the plants' aroma...

Edited by RedBullHorn

Temperature in UK, temperature in Thailand... Excluding the cold season here...

My neighbour's cattle shed is surrounded by mozzies repellent lemongrass plants. No bullocks... It works.

Not the type of lemongrass plant for Tom Yum, another type... Not for Tom Yum. tongue.png The type used to produce Baygon pesticide spray can. I planted them surrounding my pig sheds back then because my empty catfishes ponds bred mozzies... From 100% reduced to 5%. I just need to shake the rows of plants during dusk with my feet to release the plants' aroma...

ive got the same FBH round my pig pens

We never shedded cattle. We put rubs (log chain wrapped in burlap, between posts) treated with pesticide out in the pastures and they found them during the fly, mozzie season.

Hi slapout

I forgot the chain method, have seen ,a long time ago chain wrapped in sacks with a pesticide on ,as you say it works .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpjCQD8ynZE

For the Rolls Royce in fly control or mosquito, have a look at the above link ,my misses thought it very funny.

@ RBH

Thailand temperature and uk temperature ,not the same, but the fly problem is the same , causing mastitis and eye problems ,have treated both problems in both country's.

My misses says the lemongrass for mosquito control is ตะใคร้หอม