Controversial US diplomat to return

rooster59

Yes, welcome back, Dan. After your visit, could you stop off in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Quatar, Egypt, Lybia, and Ukraine. That would be great.
welcome back, Dan.

Go for it... thumbsup.gif

Just wondering what those countries you mentioned got to do with Thailand or rather what's happening in Thailand. Sir, what's your point.

And that for a man of your 'integrity', Khun Eric... As if it didn't come up to you that these are all countries under 'regimes' the US of A seems to have little or nothing to say against, while being at the antipodes of 'Democracy' and where human rights are about inexistant... But when it doesn't fit your clients' interests you remain blind to what is normally your major argument... Being critical towards the foreign policy of a country the PR and lobbying services working for your clients have so successfuly manipulated in favour of their interets, would not be a good idea, I agree. You could of course also not have reacted on 'does'' post...

A worldly and educated guy like you must surely know that USA and other super powers have different policies in critizing other countries; much depend on geopolitics and economics. We all know that.

That USA chose to critique Thailand may just show that Thailand has little significance to her foreign policy or perphaps a veiled warning at the China posturing by the junta. Perhaps when Vietnam war was raging, USA will be more careful with her criticism. Which is why I ask "what has all these countries got to do with Thailand". Thailand can chose to ignore the criticism and move on with her own plans but they decided foolishly to engage with a tit for tat and even with the 112 threat. Wrong foreign relationship move.

Agree. Diplomacy is always corrupted by national interests. That is expected.

However, the US does regularly have choice words for those other countries. We don't hear much about those, because the recipients of the criticisms are not Drama Queens.

"Russel said the nations' excellent and long-standing bilateral ties had been affected by the coup as it resulted in the removal of a democratically elected government."

Someone should educate Russel so he has some clue what he was talking about. Thailand had no government and was spiraling downwards. Pheu-Thai tried to hold an election while mass protests were on the streets, emergency law was in force and protesters were being murdered by government terrorists and the main opposition was boycotting the poll because Pheu-Thai refused any sort of compromise for reform after that amnesty bill disgrace. Even with no opposition, Pheu-Thai only polled about 30% (and over 90% of the polling booths were open before you spin some more lies red-shirts). If that is not a clear mandate that the people wanted change, I don't know what is.

It was only AFTER all of this with Thailand under a caretaker government, the PM removed by the court for abuse of power (she was certainly guilty of what she was accused of) and the murder of protesters was continuing that the Army stepped in.

So Russel is quite wrong. I would have expected better.

There goes that broken record rant again. All of it blx as usual.

True. We point out repeatedly that:

There is no evidence that the government was in any way involved in the violence.

It was clearly in the PTP government's best interest to avoid violence that would be used to justify a coup.

There was clear evidence of Suthep's supporters committing violent acts to disrupt elections and everyday government functions

Suthep never considered any compromise, he demanded abdication of the elected government in order for an un-named committee to implement unspecified reforms. Those reforms are still unspecified.

However reality doesn't agree with EnglishJohn's beliefs, so he ignores reality.

While I agree suthep was and still is a nut job it stretches belief to the breaking point to sat PT wasn't involved in the violence acted against the anti govt protesters.

Their UDD street thug stormtroopers were nothing but a force for imposing the pt party line, violence was their response when anyone took a view they disagreed with.

"Russel said the nations' excellent and long-standing bilateral ties had been affected by the coup as it resulted in the removal of a democratically elected government."

Someone should educate Russel so he has some clue what he was talking about. Thailand had no government and was spiraling downwards. Pheu-Thai tried to hold an election while mass protests were on the streets, emergency law was in force and protesters were being murdered by government terrorists and the main opposition was boycotting the poll because Pheu-Thai refused any sort of compromise for reform after that amnesty bill disgrace. Even with no opposition, Pheu-Thai only polled about 30% (and over 90% of the polling booths were open before you spin some more lies red-shirts). If that is not a clear mandate that the people wanted change, I don't know what is.

It was only AFTER all of this with Thailand under a caretaker government, the PM removed by the court for abuse of power (she was certainly guilty of what she was accused of) and the murder of protesters was continuing that the Army stepped in.

I've asked this question before, but what the heck.

I'm not sure if you are really just plain stupid, crazy or as I suspect just a shill.

Quit the broken record dude. You need to get a life, stop this one trick pony show you seem to pursue relentlessly.

If you're not a shill, maybe we would see you participate in some of the other forums, but this single issue tirade you seem determined to pursue, seems suspicious to say the least.

But John, the line you quoted is 100% correct. The PTP led coalition government in care taker status was democratically elected. It was supported by 300 out of 500 MP's. After PTP's landslide election victory.

Not sure why you are quoting an election that was unlawfully sabotaged by Suthep and his friends, considering that election was declared void.

As to murdering of protestors, do you have any evidence whatsoever that the government ordered these murders ? The army would be the last body to come to the rescue, considering murdering Thai citizens is what they do best...

My point is that the US is very selective about who it berates.

Moreover, I personally do not think it is a coincidence that Thailand is improving ties with China and that the NYT published several articles critical of Thailand in the past month.

Yes, welcome back, Dan. After your visit, could you stop off in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Quatar, Egypt, Lybia, and Ukraine. That would be great.

welcome back, Dan.

Just wondering what those countries you mentioned got to do with Thailand or rather what's happening in Thailand. Sir, what's your point.

Moreover, I personally do not think it is a coincidence that Thailand is improving ties with China and that the NYT published several articles critical of Thailand in the past month.

welcome back, Dan.

I'm curious what you consider is 'berating'?

Nothing that any US official has said in my mind is anything close to being hostile. Maybe slightly uncomfortable for certain factions to hear, but it's hardly on the scale of North Kore critism which is how many here would like to portray it.

The fact that the NYT has had critical news articles hardly means anything, other than they see it as juicy story. Last time I looked, don't think the NYT is a arm of the State Dept.

If the fact that cozying up to China is a reason for critical news articles, then the reverse would surely be true, and since the UK government has sold their country to China, weird that the BBC in recent days has been airing what must be hugely cringeworthy articles for the regime!

welcome back, Dan.

China and Vietnam were the first 2 countries that recognized the coup government followed quickly by Mynmar. USA and EU were quick to denounce the coup and followed by Australia who imposed a travel ban on the junta leaders. Japan and even Indonesia and Philippines also expressed disappointment. Under those circumstances, Thailand can only pivot towards China. The NYT is not important in his scheme of things.

China and Vietnam were the first 2 countries that recognized the coup government followed quickly by Mynmar. USA and EU were quick to denounce the coup and followed by Australia who imposed a travel ban on the junta leaders. Japan and even Indonesia and Philippines also expressed disappointment. Under those circumstances, Thailand can only pivot towards China. The NYT is not important in his scheme of things.

China and Vietnam? Definitely not bastions of democracy. The current ambassador has said the US has no problems with Thailand partnering with China. And for good reasons. It just isn't that big of a deal.

Do you really believe that the American gov was not aware of all that you said? The USA has something to gain with the Thak family running things and now they have someone who is looking more to China and Russia instead. They have already lost a great deal of their leverage here. They know darn well how the gov was running things before.

welcome back, Dan.

I guess that you missed the part that stated he is the assistant secretary of affairs to "Eastern Asia and Western Pacific.

Edited by sanukjim

There is no evidence that the government was in any way involved in the violence.

It was clearly in the PTP government's best interest to avoid violence that would be used to justify a coup.

There was clear evidence of Suthep's supporters committing violent acts to disrupt elections and everyday government functions

Suthep never considered any compromise, he demanded abdication of the elected government in order for an un-named committee to implement unspecified reforms. Those reforms are still unspecified.

However reality doesn't agree with EnglishJohn's beliefs, so he ignores reality.

I would say that he probably ignores his meds, too... whistling.gif

I'm curious what you consider is 'berating'?

Nothing that any US official has said in my mind is anything close to being hostile. Maybe slightly uncomfortable for certain factions to hear, but it's hardly on the scale of North Kore critism which is how many here would like to portray it.

The fact that the NYT has had critical news articles hardly means anything, other than they see it as juicy story. Last time I looked, don't think the NYT is a arm of the State Dept.

If the fact that cozying up to China is a reason for critical news articles, then the reverse would surely be true, and since the UK government has sold their country to China, weird that the BBC in recent days has been airing what must be hugely cringeworthy articles for the regime!

diplomats like Davies and Russel are top-quality people and loaded with experience.

TBH, I could not believe how absolutely, bend-over-backwards deferential Davies was in his comments. Really really really diplomatic.

Of course the point could not be missed that he was speaking directly to the actions of the military courts and the junta. And of course it had nothing to do with the King... He even made the point that the King was born in America and that we as a country claim just a little bit of him for ourselves... It was an exceptionally warm statement regarding the king, Thailand, and it's people.

Only the junta was called to the mat.

Hence the over reaction of the ultra-nationalists is no different than past juntas pulling out their own crazies to take to the streets and attack people - literally....

I'm just surprised that most people seem to find it normal that the US (and the a lesser extent the EU and Australia) habitually lecture other countries, as if they are the world's moral policeman. Imagine Thailand lecturing the US on its illegal rendition/detention, drone assassinations in Muslim countries, instigating regime change is various countries, record numbers of homeless people in American cities, etc.

While I agree suthep was and still is a nut job it stretches belief to the breaking point to sat PT wasn't involved in the violence acted against the anti govt protesters.

Their UDD street thug stormtroopers were nothing but a force for imposing the pt party line, violence was their response when anyone took a view they disagreed with.

It was very clear that Suthep was attempting to create a situation that would justify a coup, and very clear that the government was trying to avoid violence in order to avoid giving this justification.

I'm sure some of the violent acts were committed by some of the more dim-witted PTP supporters who played into Suthep's plans, but do you have any evidence the government was involved in this violence?

I'm just surprised that most people seem to find it normal that the US (and the a lesser extent the EU and Australia) habitually lecture other countries, as if they are the world's moral policeman. Imagine Thailand lecturing the US on its illegal rendition/detention, drone assassinations in Muslim countries, instigating regime change is various countries, record numbers of homeless people in American cities, etc.

Actually Im surprised that you find it normal that the country of Thailand is being ruled by an illegal junta wielding absolute power. Actually Im surprised at your pansy like attitude towards them. Actually Im surprised at your lack of remark towards the topic at hand.

Actually Im really surprised that you somehow think that what has and is happening in Thailand is in some way moral at all?

Ill admit it, Im surprised at the lack of a good moral compass with some posters.

Dang it Im just surprised [emoji3]

And I am surprised that you completely ignored the point that I made (the the West acts like a paternal watchdog over other countries).

And where did you read that I find it normal that Thailand is rules the way it is. Where did you read that I find it "moral" the way Thailand is rules.

I didn't even write that the US is ruled "immorally" - despite its flaunting of international rules and being judge, jury and executioner of so-called "enemy combatants and covertly promoting regime change in countries who step out of line.

You actually make my case when you write that many posters lack a "good moral compass". The implication is that you have one. I bet US and EU diplomats lecturing other countries feel the same.

Actually Im surprised that you find it normal that the country of Thailand is being ruled by an illegal junta wielding absolute power. Actually Im surprised at your pansy like attitude towards them. Actually Im surprised at your lack of remark towards the topic at hand.

Actually Im really surprised that you somehow think that what has and is happening in Thailand is in some way moral at all?

Ill admit it, Im surprised at the lack of a good moral compass with some posters.

And I am surprised that you completely ignored the point that I made (the the West acts like a paternal watchdog over other countries).

And where did you read that I find it normal that Thailand is rules the way it is. Where did you read that I find it "moral" the way Thailand is rules.

I didn't even write that the US is ruled "immorally" - despite its flaunting of international rules and being judge, jury and executioner of so-called "enemy combatants and covertly promoting regime change in countries who step out of line.

You actually make my case when you write that many posters lack a "good moral compass". The implication is that you have one. I bet US and EU diplomats lecturing other countries feel the same.

the point is clear, but irrelevant and not applicable to what the diplomats are saying.

The US and UK are not being paternalistic at all. They are expressing their opinion of the situation in Thailand. They are addressing the junta directly, and while that is not what you were claiming, if you think that Davies or Kent are being paternalistic wrt the junta, well, ...

Both are expressing what their governments would like to see and pointing out what their governments feel is not correct about the behaviour of the current ruling military junta in Thailand.

Edited by tbthailand

welcome back, Dan.

Clearly, his point is that the US should send out its super-diplomat and fix everything wrong with the world's repressive regimes in one swoop. This super diplomat has a magic wand, you see, and can fly around the world tapping despots on the shoulder to create instant democracies with full human rights.

Seriously, though, the US has made some notable mistakes in the past 15 years. I think the real point of his post was that there are other US allies with governments as bad, or worse, than Thailand's. He's right about that, and I'm sure our government has diplomats at work on strategies to improve the situations in those countries as well. But there is no magic wand. Most often, all we're able to apply is words, which are far better than guns, IMO.

But you don't seem to understand. That is the sort of stinking lowdown tricks that the "born to rule" Democrat party pull, when they are faced with an election that they have no chance of winning just because they are not wanted, but cannot understand it.

you didn't hear anything from this american mouthpiece when the rabid red dogs were up to their mass vote buying.

And the yellow shirts did'nt do it ! omg you are naieve cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif That is Thai politics.

Like the Yellow shirt lady down south who stood for mayoress. She lost and demanded a recount because 'Quote' ....I paid for 25000 votes and only got 14000. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

And please tell me, whose thugs beat red shirt voters at polling booths because they were trying to vote.

I think given recent events concerning both the American Envoy ,and then the UK one ....a response via Mr Russell would be expected.

What's going to be interesting is the degree in which Thai super sensitivities will again be trodden over.

After all like the emperors clothing ,this regime expects people to play along through fear.

Massive threats of arrests as well as death in prison and prosecutions with draconian jail terms , are expected to be seen as necessary and reasonable.

The Thais dare not show slightest disobedience to an increasingly iron fisted Junta .

With that back drop the time has come to show your cards .

The polite faces at the table are giving way to truth.

The bare facts.

Thailand is as I speak in Australia coming under attack for supplying Prawns in supermarkets obtained with slave labour.

US downgrades its airline safety standards.

EU complain about human rights abuses .

A US ambassador is still being cast in a poor light by ultra nationalists ,for basically observing the horrible facts of LM laws.

I think it's perhaps time to lay down the cards to this stalling regime ....democracy long gone and little prospect on the horizon and human rights abuses rife .

Expect a strong response.

Not to give one would be both out of character for this diplomat .

And in context a great shame.

But Washington may decide to given the Xmas period, to let this round fold instead of going all in.

Allow Thais to continue witch hunts and unabated arrests and abuses on the populace .

Then in the new year quietly punish them further.

With so many nationals from the US in Thailand at present the instructions to the diplomat might be to go lightly.

Perhaps gently reiterating the Envoy's statements....but with a strong intro of Royal respect.

On the other hand they might lay the aces and kings and show a full house of disdain.

And use the speech to completely grill the injustices committed and highlight the direction Thailand is taking and the line in the sand.

We shall see.

But one thing is certain mass arrests over likes on Facebook won't be tolerated for long.

This will become an international incident .

People of all nationalities are now at risk within Thailand .

This is not a normal international destination anymore .

You are back into the Salem witch hunts in the mist of modern day inquisition by people who hijacked democracy by gun.

I for one hope the speech is strong and precise and unapologetic that is what's expected from the Americans who cherish liberty.

Do it for those looking at decades behind bars for simply pressing like

Edited by Plutojames88