How easy is it to go through Retirment Visa process oneself

I should become an agent and hope for many victims fulfilling all legal requirements.

1900 Baht + 100 or 200 Baht for bank letter + xx Baht for a staple of photocopies + travel cost.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Three weeks ago I did it in 4 hours 50 minutes on a Tuesday. I was in line for que at 6:45am

question : where ?

He posts mostly in the Chiang Mai forum so suspect that would be the office used (it is known for early bird queue).

Good info above. But you can't get a marriage visa if your wife is not Thai. Good luck. Retirement visas are easy. My wife is Thai so I've never had to deal with farang dependent issues. But I think you will need 800K or 65K/month PER PERSON. Not sure, but you can check with immigration. Dress politely (business casual) - no short shorts, flip flops tank tops, etc. Same for photos. (If you dress like a bum, they will treat you like a bum.) Also, be patient and polite. Read the requirements carefully and have all documents ready. Sign each doc, You sign yours, wife hers, and I assume you both sign the child's, but check with the officer.

If you are using funds in the bank, I think you and your wife will need separate accounts, not sure about the child. Before you go into immigration that morning, go to the bank, deposit 500 or 1,000 baht in each account and then update the bank book. Otherwise, they may send you back out to do it.

• Like 1

You would make it easier if you understood the correct terminology.

I do believe you are looking for a non immigrant O or OA...

After that...you get "Extensions" based on retirement or whatever category.

Don't feel bad...many posters refer to their extension as a visa..and it confuses newbees. I think there are good explanations posted here...

Visas and Extensions

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

Good info above. But you can't get a marriage visa if your wife is not Thai. Good luck. Retirement visas are easy. My wife is Thai so I've never had to deal with farang dependent issues. But I think you will need 800K or 65K/month PER PERSON. Not sure, but you can check with immigration. Dress politely (business casual) - no short shorts, flip flops tank tops, etc. Same for photos. (If you dress like a bum, they will treat you like a bum.) Also, be patient and polite. Read the requirements carefully and have all documents ready. Sign each doc, You sign yours, wife hers, and I assume you both sign the child's, but check with the officer.

If you are using funds in the bank, I think you and your wife will need separate accounts, not sure about the child. Before you go into immigration that morning, go to the bank, deposit 500 or 1,000 baht in each account and then update the bank book. Otherwise, they may send you back out to do it.

Financials are only required for the extension of stay for retirement holder and yes they must be in that name only - dependents do not require and can get matching extensions based on being dependents once the retirement extension is issued and they have a non immigrant O visa valid for extension.

I don't know were you are.

When I did it, 5 years ago, It was quite easy, but getting it done within the three-month time limit was a bit tricky.

I did it in the U.S. and sent the money and documentation to the Thai consulate in Los Angeles. They responded fairly rapidly. And, here I am.

retirement extension not given at jomtien if less than 12 months validity on passport I asked and got a firm no, and no extension valid to expiry either so maybe others will waiver be careful.

Was that from the lady who sits in the very back. A captain I think? She doesn't seem to be a generally happy camper that is if it's the lady I recall.

retirement extension not given at jomtien if less than 12 months validity on passport I asked and got a firm no, and no extension valid to expiry either so maybe others will waiver be careful.

"and no extension valid to expiry"

That is the (only) surprising part.

The rules have changed a while ago and usually you get an extension until passport expiry.

Then do a complete new application.

Before rule change you didn't need to reapply, just getting a new stamp for the remaining time.

How long was your remaining passport validity?

It is easy, you don't necessarily need to go out of the country if you come on tourist visa here.

I read that for retirement of couples, each of you has to proof he have 65000 baht per month means 130000 for both, they deal with separately.

You should consider requesting multiple entry if you need to travel out of Thailand without hassle, the cost is 3800 baht per person and it's done same day once you obtain your non o.

Good luck

A "retirement" visa is very easy to do yourself unless you are going to do it at Chiangmai immigration.

Here on Koh Samui I have done it in 30 minutes other times it has been up to 3 hours , it depends on the Birdman wether he is in a good mood and how many cigarette breaks he has, in the early days before the cost of visa boards were displayed it depended on how much money you were prepared to pay I once witnessed a French couple with two children pay 50,000 baht for year long visa's without the need to leave the Kingdom

You're talking about an extension to a retirement visa, the OP is talking about getting the initial O-A visa.

I read that for retirement of couples, each of you has to proof he have 65000 baht per month means 130000 for both, they deal with separately.

"has to": a false information spread by a Phuket expat paper quite a while ago based on some misunderstanding.

The Phuket paper later gave a correction.

A foreign legally married couple CAN do independent extensions based on retirement but not HAVE TO.

The other partner can get an extension as a "dependent" without financial proof.

Only disadvantage: if the partner with the "main" extension dies, the other partner has to do a new application if he/she desired to stay in Thailand.

If both partners want to have an independent extension they must have separate bank accounts in their sole name or proof of income.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

OP I know this is a silly question but are your wife and child Thai or farang like you?

If they are Thai then it is only you to sort out.

We're all Non Thai.

what makes you want to bring your family to thailand.

its not the same as a holiday far from it.

An odd question, why would you bring your family to Thailand to retire--it is a retirement destination, you know. I brought my family to live in Thailand and I know many others who have too. It does not have to be any different from a holiday, if you have the money. However, even without spending as much, you can still do the same things, enjoy the same weather, eat the same foods, etc. If you settle in, you can actually live on less than it would cost in the West and still enjoy the things you like to do.

• Like 1

If I could do it so too can you. I was "dead green" when I came here first and alone and still managed to get it done. Contrary to what you might read on here from the cynical ones....some Immigration Officers can be very helpful so give it a bash and good luck.

I am on my ninth retirement extension. Since we were in Hatyai on visa exempt entry, we first went to Hatyai immigration for the information on the necessary documentation. We then went to Bangkok for the income letter from the US embassy—now B1500 for the consular stamp. We returned to Hatyai to have our marriage certificate translated to Thai, about B350. Then went on to the Thai consulate in Penang for the non-O visa where we paid B3800, B1900 each. Additional costs were photos, copies, travel, hotel, and meals. Time spent at Bangkok US Embassy, 30 minutes with appointment. Time spent at Thai consulate, one hour early one morning to turn-in passports, application with photos, copy of income letter, and copy of marriage translation; and 20 minutes the next afternoon to pick-up passports with visa. We made a holiday of it with good hotels, meals, shopping, and sights; why not get as much pleasure as you can out of a bureaucratic situation?

We went to Hatyai immigration after six weeks or so—they seemed surprised we didn't wait the full 90 days, but we were leaving to meet friends in the PI and would not return before the 90 days were up.. We provided the same information as in Penang—only with original income letter and marriage translation—and paid B7600; B3800 each for one year retirement extension with multiple re-entry permits. The whole process at immigration took only one hour.

Every year it is back to Bangkok for the income letter and back to Hatyai immigration for the retirement extension and back every 90 days to report. We now only pay the B1900 each for a one year extension and pay B1000 each for re-entry permits as we need them. One year we left Thailand without the re-entry permits, so had to redo the whole non-O process—our stupidity, no one else’s.

As has been said, you can pay an agent both here in Thailand and in another country for the application process, but results can be both illegal and expensive. However, as I said, the actual time spent in embassies, consulates, and immigration is negligible, if you make it a holiday.

If you come into Thailand on a tourist visa and want to switch to a retirement visa you'll have to change to a non-O first which you will not be able to do in Thailand, or at least not in Chiang Mai. Maybe Bangkok I hear conflicting reports about that tho. Best to come in on the non-O visa. The change to retirement yourself.

If you come into Thailand on a tourist visa and want to switch to a retirement visa you'll have to change to a non-O first which you will not be able to do in Thailand, or at least not in Chiang Mai. Maybe Bangkok I hear conflicting reports about that tho. Best to come in on the non-O visa. The change to retirement yourself.

You can change from tourist visa entry to non 'O' but only in Bangkok. But it is easier to enter with a non 'O'.

Actually, Immigration is back to letting people convert a tourist visa or non-exempt entry into an non-O in Chiang Mai, but they're keeping very quiet about it. That's because they want it to be a service available just thru "select" visa agents at a premium price.

Actually, Immigration is back to letting people convert a tourist visa or non-exempt entry into an non-O in Chiang Mai, but they're keeping very quiet about it. That's because they want it to be a service available just thru "select" visa agents at a premium price.

It’s very easy and don’t require much paperwork – especially if you can afford to have a 800k baht Thai bank deposit – but check in a local forum or the Immigration Office in question what they want of documentation, as that can be little different from area to area. I say that, because some Immigration may want proof of address with contract and signed copy landlord’s Housebook, and Google-map made to their local specifications.

If don’t expect to leave Thailand within the next year, the time of your extension, you don’t need the Re-entry Permit, and you can always apply for a single or multiple re-entries if needed; then the cost is only 1,900 baht per application (x3, for dependant wife + minor child), passport-size photos and photocopies of papers.

smile.png

• Like 1

It’s very easy and don’t require much paperwork – especially if you can afford to have a 800k baht Thai bank deposit – but check in a local forum or the Immigration Office in question what they want of documentation, as that can be little different from area to area. I say that, because some Immigration may want proof of address with contract and signed copy landlord’s Housebook, and Google-map made to their local specifications.
If don’t expect to leave Thailand within the next year, the time of your extension, you don’t need the Re-entry Permit, and you can always apply for a single or multiple re-entries if needed; then the cost is only 1,900 baht per application (x3, for dependant wife + minor child), passport-size photos and photocopies of papers.
smile.png

good answers... be calm... dress nicely... expect some paperwork problems and perhaps having to return the next day. they are going to want to know where you live. up dated bank passbooks from previous day or that morning. i also got a letter from Bangkok Bank stating I had the funds. 300 baht. your money needs to be in the bank for 60-90 before you apply for retirement extension of stay which in many FIRST TIME cases is hard to do, so just pay the fine. not worth the hassle. also remember immigration offices are all different with some "rules" being different. Make sure you look prepared or they will cop a attitude because they don't want to deal with your disorganization. don't procrastinate thinking you have thirty days as getting bank accounts open, letters and docs printed and address info can be time consuming.

For the love of all things holy, there is no such thing as a retirement visa. One misinformation post after another. Just amazing how you guys that have a retirement extensions are all over 50 and can't wrap your head that fact. Shameful.

Actually it is not black/white as there is a long stay visa issued for retirement called non immigrant O-A which is often called a retirement visa and allows repeated entry and stay of one year if bought in the multi entry version. But this is issued by a Thai Consulate rather than directly from Thai Immigration. Even in the case of extensions of stay the term visa is often used by officials. It may be incorrect; but it is a fact of life.

For the love of all things holy, there is no such thing as a retirement visa. One misinformation post after another. Just amazing how you guys that have a retirement extensions are all over 50 and can't wrap your head that fact. Shameful.

If there is no such thing as a retirement visa then there is also no such thing as a retirement extension. wink.png

I don't think there's a problem calling a visa issued on the basis of retirement a retirement visa, or an extension a retirement extension. The problem is when people with an extension of stay call it a retirement visa. That can cause all sorts of confusion for people giving advice.

I've often wondered why retirement is given as the reason for a visa/extension when being retired is never a condition. All that's required is that you're over 50 and have 800k or a 65k pm income.

• Like 2

I've always found the officers at Immigration to be helpful and supportive. After my first wife died in 1995 they explained I would have to change to a retirement visa from supporting a Thai national, but at that time there were two tiers of income requirement. The requirement for people under 60 was about twice the requirement for 60 and older, so they advised me to go to Malaysia (Penang), get a multiple-entry tourist visa, and then do visa runs. After I turned 60 and was able to meet the lower requirement, it was very easy. One year, since then, they had a requirement for a physical exam. The female sergeant who was processing me wrote directions to a hospital not far away that did the exams very cheaply and I was able to go get it done and get back to finish the same day. If you start a couple of weeks before your visa expires you should be able to do it easily. The people who are quoting prices of 20K are thieves. By the way, I don't know how it works if head of household (you) is on a retirement visa but also has wife and child below retirement age. I'm sure Immigration will help you sort it out. If I remember correctly (I don't live in Bangkok any more) the Chaengwattana branch has an information desk. I'm sure they'd help you.