Moving To Thailand - Dilemma - Bring The 'boys'?

:o Myself, my English Partner, our 6month old baby are due to come to Thailand (Chonburi) beginning of December, where i have been offered employment. We also have two cats, one is about 8 years old, large but otherwise in good health the other is about 5 years and very lively and healthy (ASBO cat!) both short haired male neutred tabbys.

I have all the relevent documentation required to export them, my concern is their general welfare once they have (hopefully) settled in to our new home, predominantly they are house bound cats although they do venture out when they require a call of nature.

I need advice from anyone who has taking their own cats and what the up/down sides are; did they cope with the flight? did they acclimatise ok to the warm climate? what about ticks?/ other creepy crawlies, standard of vets? :D

Well I have no personal experience here with import, but do know to peopel who have brought thier pets with them. One dog and two cats. They seem to very well on the flight, if your paperwork is straight no big problems at the airport.

The only thing I think might be to worry about with cats, is that in most Thai neighborhoods dogs are allowed to roam, that could be a problem. But it they stay in your yard I doubt that anything will happen. Mot of the cats i have seen around here can get up a wall in a heart beat.

Animals will probably adapt to the warm climate bette then you, a long a they don't have to stay in direct sun light

We have a dog and the vets here seem to care about the animals they care for.

Ticks and fleas same precautions yuo would take there, wroks just fine.

Creppy carwlers there are some to worry about such a snakes depending on where you live. My guess is they will have a ball with lizards.

Best guess I think they will be jut fine.

Well I have no personal experience here with import, but do know to peopel who have brought thier pets with them. One dog and two cats. They seem to very well on the flight, if your paperwork is straight no big problems at the airport.

The only thing I think might be to worry about with cats, is that in most Thai neighborhoods dogs are allowed to roam, that could be a problem. But it they stay in your yard I doubt that anything will happen. Mot of the cats i have seen around here can get up a wall in a heart beat.

Animals will probably adapt to the warm climate bette then you, a long a they don't have to stay in direct sun light

We have a dog and the vets here seem to care about the animals they care for.

Ticks and fleas same precautions yuo would take there, wroks just fine.

Creppy carwlers there are some to worry about such a snakes depending on where you live. My guess is they will have a ball with lizards.

Best guess I think they will be jut fine.

I would be very careful giving your house cats access to the outside, depends on where you live but there will be numerous predators or the opportunity to get run over if near a busy road.

My cat is an inside/outside cat and she has never had ticks, very few fleas, but she is a local cat and fairly short haired.

Also, you should ask your airline if you can carry the cages onboard, often they allow people to carry smaller pets on the plane.

We brought our Birmen cat from England 3 years ago, he has adapted very well (much better than the 2 dogs that came as well). No problems at all with the flight.

Standard of vetinary care here in Chiang Mai is poor. I usually e-mail my vet in the uk when there is a problem (he diagnosed distemper in a puppy from 10,0000 miles away, it's endemic over here & yet they couln't diagnose it!!!

We give our cat Revolution once a month (a spot on) & it protetcts against heartworm (endemic here), fleas, ear mites, mange & in theory ticks.

Hope this helps.

We brought our Birmen cat from England 3 years ago, he has adapted very well (much better than the 2 dogs that came as well). No problems at all with the flight.

Standard of vetinary care here in Chiang Mai is poor. I usually e-mail my vet in the uk when there is a problem (he diagnosed distemper in a puppy from 10,0000 miles away, it's endemic over here & yet they couln't diagnose it!!!

We give our cat Revolution once a month (a spot on) & it protetcts against heartworm (endemic here), fleas, ear mites, mange & in theory ticks.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

Also I live in Chiang Mai. Although I do think that the veterinary care in Chiang Mai is up to standard, it is very important to know your animal, to ask a lot of questions and demand answers. If a vet does not want to answer, it is better to change the vet. One big complaint I have, though, is that many vet's are very quick with describing corticosteroids (anti-itch, anti-swelling and anti-inflammation) sometimes for long periods of times (1 to 2 months in a row), without tapering it down or prescribing it every other day (as it should be), and without looking for the cause of the illness (in other words, it's only symptom treatment). But this is not Thailand specific, you come across this in many Western countries as well.

As for the infectious diseases, to my knowledge there are testkits available that can test for: heartworm, Erhliciosis canis (that is one of the deadly tick diseases), Canine distemper, Parvovirus, Feline Immunity defficiency, and Feline Leucemia (FeLV). If I'm not mistaken, they all test for the antibodies against those diseases and are accrurate for up to 98%

In my experience, most animals imported adapt well to the Thai circumstances. And although, there are many infectious diseases in this country (due to hot and humid climate and still quite some not-vaccinated animals) against most you can protect your animal through sufficient vaccination and providing good food. A diet stands at the basis of a good health and immunity!

I have bad to extreme bad experience with dogfood, sold in supermarkets. The price of these foods may be not too high, but have a low to extreme low bio-availability to the dog and are full with preservatives, artificial coloring, flavoring and other total yekki stuff. Giving this kind of food to your animal is asking for trouble. At my kennel I have seen many dogs improving after they went from a supermarket food over on a high(er) quality diet (Hill's Science Diet). Other good to very good dog food brands are: Nutro, Advanced Pet Diet (APD), Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers, Premium Edge, Eagle (there may be more available in BKK which I have no knowledge of). They are all at least 2,000 baht for a 40 lb or 18.1 kg bag of adult food. But then, at least, your animal will receive the necessary nutrients in sufficient amounts, in the right balance and it also bio-available for the animal.

As for cats, I only have good experience with Hill's Science Diet. Don't know other high quality brands, but they must be for sale.

Cats that are allowed to roam outside, are more susceptible for the infectious diseases FIV and FeLV. Just because there are many carriers under the outside cats (strays as well as those that have homes). It is up to the individual owner whether you want to play safe and keep your cat indoors, or that you choose for a cat enjoying its freedom and exercise outside.

As for the flight itself, it may be an idea to have your cats get used to be and be carried in a crate. You have start with crate training now.

Wish you good luck, Nienke

Thanks for all your advice - one more question.. Can you get the Royal Canin pet foods? one of my cats is over 7kilo and is on whats called 'Obesity Management' :-) he has been on Hills before so would be no great loss if royal canin is not available

Thanks for all your advice - one more question.. Can you get the Royal Canin pet foods? one of my cats is over 7kilo and is on whats called 'Obesity Management' :-) he has been on Hills before so would be no great loss if royal canin is not available

Hi there,

I know that you can get Royal Canin pet foods in Thailand (for sure in BKK), but where I can't help you with, after all I live in Chiang Mai.

Science Diet is more common and many vets and also petshops sell prescription diets. It might be an idea to bring a short suplly for your cat and as soon as you arrived in Chonburi try to find a vet. They most probably can tell you where to get the prescription diet or they sell it themselves.

Wish you good luck and a pleasant stay in Chonburi

Just a recetn event, last week a friedn decided to return to the states. She brought a dog with her when sha came no prob;ewem. Taking the dog back wiht he went by a loacl vet and got the neccessary clearance. Only to find out they would not accept it in Bangkok, she missed her flight and spent an extra day In bangkok, until she got the one the Governmetn would accept. I don't know if that would apply on the other end in coming here. But., I tought it was worth mentioning. Being careful I would supposw ould mena making sure you have clearances that will be accepted by both countries.

My cat is native Thai but I have friends who have brought cats by plane, including 2 old cats with kidney disease, they did fine but the latter made sure to have them with her in the cabin (I think she actually bought an extra seat for that purpose!).

Regarding the climate, presumably you'll have a/c in the home and you say your cats are mostly used to indoors. They'll simply avoid going out when it's too hot for them. And, altho Thailand is hot, it's not really much worse than the US on the hottest days of summer.

The biggest worry is, as sbk said, traffic. Depending on the location of your home vis-a-vis the road, letting them out may not be safe. If you are free to choose your own place then you can make that a consideration, looking for a place set back a bit and with a garden.

My house is 100m off the road down a private driveway and my cat is thus able to have a large roaming area without ever coming near a vehicle, great for her and also for my peace of mind.

There are good vets to be found in Bangkok, including one on the outskirts of the city fairly convenient to Chonburi. hat's where I bring my cat for anything serious, use the local vets just for routine things like yearly vaccination.

Bring them, you'll be glad you did.

Bring them, you'll be glad you did.

The dilemma is ever growing :o:D my future employer is strongly advising against it :D as he says that if I can afford to pay to get them over then why should he pay for our fares :D he is missing the whole point that they are my 'boys' and I love them; the thought of leaving them behind is eating me up :D also when we arrive we will initially be in a hotel for a few weeks until we find suitable accommodation - what about the boys? :D where could they stay? he is also saying that the air con would need to be on in the house all the time for them even if we are out :D is this right

The aircon just a gues cause I don't know, I think they will adapt better then you, if it proves to a problem as a norm central air is not used here, each room has it's own unit. You could in fact set one in a individual room at a reaonable tempature and keep it cool enough for them without going broke.

Pet friendly hotels could be a huge problem. Best advice I could give is start contacting hotels in the area you going and see of you can find one.

The other alternative would be go to the forum section for the area you are going to and ask for help. If soemone knows they will help you.

There is a listing of "pet friendly" hotels on this forum but not sure if any in the area you will be staying. There have also been threads listing kennel type places to board an animal.

It is not necessary to have a/c on all the time in the home. Much of course depends on the time of year and sun exposure of the house. When I go away I leave only a fan on and the windows open. Especially as there will [probably be at least 1 room cool to start with (where you slept), part of the house should stay comfortable enough till you get home. Also remember cats can shed, and yours wil to accomodate to the new climate.

More of a concern is the attitude of your future employer. I would suggest not discussing the per issue any further with him ashe won't understand and it's really not hisd business.

Are you married or with a partner? Because if so one option would be for you to come over first and then have him/her join you with the pets once you've found a house.

If you are alone, maybe you can temoraily leave the cats with a friend and then have them shipped over to you once you have a house. There are pet transport services that will take care of the shipping for you. With 2 large cats they are probably going to have to go as cargo regardless.

More of a concern is the attitude of your future employer. I would suggest not discussing the per issue any further with him ashe won't understand and it's really not hisd business.

:o My future employer is also my future father-in-law :D I am engaged to his daughter, we have a 6month old baby boy together :D should I suggest he stays in the UK as well as I dont think he will adapt to the climate either :D:D so really it is his business :D

post-36282-1161590059_thumb.jpg

Are you married or with a partner? Because if so one option would be for you to come over first and then have him/her join you with the pets once you've found a house.

This is not an option because of the reason stated above :D

If you are alone, maybe you can temoraily leave the cats with a friend and then have them shipped over to you once you have a house. There are pet transport services that will take care of the shipping for you. With 2 large cats they are probably going to have to go as cargo regardless.

I dont want to send the boys cargo at a later date either as this works out VERY expensive.

He has said the CATS WILL DIE :D if I bring them :D

There is no reason to think the cats will die, I question how much experience with cats your father-in-law has! I also think the baby will adjust just fine. Plenty of people bring pets and babies to the tropics. You just keep them indoors during the hottest part of the day (especially in the hot season) and save going out for early morning and late afternoon/evening (the cats will spontaneously do this), and ensure that the house has adequate shade, ventilation plus a/c in at least 1 room.

Sounds like your father in law to be simply thinks bringing the cats is silly so he's trying to discourage you.

Hotels will be a hassle, though, with cats. Eeven if the hotel doesn't mind, one worried about the cats getting out & getting lost while housekeeping cleans etc. Can you not have your father in law rent a temporary house for you to stay in while you look for a permament one?

I emailed my father in law and explained that the good ppl on Thaivisa has given me a variety of advice in order for me to make an informed decision :D Thanks to everyone on this thread :D for helping me make the decision :o This dilemma is now concluded and therefore the thread has completed :D

What am I going to do......? :D

Watch this space!!!!

:D

heli xx