Taking orders for Rhode Island Red chicks

Kularion

For everyone who looks to buy some Rhode Island Red's - I'm starting to hatch this breed for myself and for sale as well.

Every order will be proceed in 30 days.

In the near future I will also hatch Plymouth Rock so stay tuned and in touch :)

DK Chicken Farm in Phayao (North of Thailand between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai) you can find me on Facebook and follow all news and info.

post-175342-0-72838500-1450414428_thumb.

post-175342-0-64421500-1450414477_thumb.

post-175342-0-55522200-1450414561_thumb.

post-175342-0-00419500-1450414637_thumb.

post-175342-0-92378400-1450414640_thumb.

post-175342-0-07278000-1450414658_thumb.

post-175342-0-25006300-1450414665_thumb.

post-175342-0-80324100-1450414668_thumb.

post-175342-0-60666300-1450414764_thumb.

post-175342-0-71231900-1450414780_thumb.

post-175342-0-40438800-1450414795_thumb.

post-175342-0-29009200-1450414878_thumb.

post-175342-0-91490400-1450414878_thumb.

post-175342-0-47793400-1450414928_thumb.

mate on another thread you was telling everyone you had newcastle disease,

i personaly wouldnt buy chicks from a farm that had that in the last 6 months, its a killer and very hard to get rid of, in the uk they would just slaughter the lot, there is no cure for it,

but good luck

mate on another thread you was telling everyone you had newcastle disease,

i personaly wouldnt buy chicks from a farm that had that in the last 6 months, its a killer and very hard to get rid of, in the uk they would just slaughter the lot, there is no cure for it,

but good luck

You right mate.

I was telling that but appears that I panicked after 3 birds died :D

Now couple of days already and no new signs of Newcastle... and even young chicks (26 birds, 3 weeks old) which I hatched for myself are in the same coop with rest of the flock. All my young are vaccinated with the combination Newcastle-Infectious Bronchitis vaccine.

And I know that there is no cure this disease...

post-175342-0-29727400-1450451380_thumb.

some times when bird are lifeless like that i would put it down to coxcidioses,(spelling?)

I had few chickens like that but I was told that this can be also because mosquitoes eat them during the night and later during the day they want sleep and have no power to look for food... and in the circle like that... and is better to put them down as they will no recover on their own.

i dont agree with the mozzi bit, but thats jusy my opinion, one thing they would eat them,

i would plum for cocsi, more so if you have them locked up on a soil floor, the soil gets coxi in it and it goes into the birds, they become lifeless and poo green loose a lot of weight and then die it take a few days,

you can get treatment from the vet,

but again i stress this is just my opinion, im, no expert just kept chickens and other birds most of my life,

good luck

i dont agree with the mozzi bit, but thats jusy my opinion, one thing they would eat them,

i would plum for cocsi, more so if you have them locked up on a soil floor, the soil gets coxi in it and it goes into the birds, they become lifeless and poo green loose a lot of weight and then die it take a few days,

but again i stress this is just my opinion, im, no expert just kept chickens and other birds most of my life,

good luck

Well... there was like 2-3 birds like that... I mean lifeless.

Now all looks ok. Walking and eating all day.

I don't keep them locked at all... they go out and in the coop when they want.

Floor in the coop is made out of concrete and on there is layer of rise leftovers (Thai - gap).

Chickens sleeps on roosts.

post-175342-0-95695000-1450502359_thumb.

good luck

I agree with PJ. You came on another thread and was "Certain" that you birds had New Castles Disease and not you are "Certain" they don't. If you didn't have them tested post mortem, then you just don't know. If you did have NCD and any of the birds survived then they are carriers and you have a problem until you replace your flock (not just 6 months). Maybe you had something else and if it is viral, tit is the same as NCD. In any case if I roll up to hour place can you you in all honesty tell me your flock has no viral infections or carriers?

I also agree with Jake about coccidiosis except that if your birds are on the ground then there is very close to a 100% chance that they have one or more of the 5 common strains in Thailand. The thing with coccidiosis is that you don't always see symptoms. If the birds are not stresses and are well fed and have relatively clean food and water they can continue on with no outward signs. The problem arises when the birds become stressed for whatever reason like a change in weather or when harried by mosquitos and can't get any rest. I treat regularly for coccidiosis and cull any bird that looks off for any reason immediately (my BIL loves this).

I am a big fan of raising poultry, but if you really want to do this, consider doing a little more homework. There are a ton of sites that will help. I would be very cautious about youtube and would look for sites of Universities and government agencies.

good luck

I had this back then with sam-sai-leard (3 cross), went to the shop that sell chicken feed... tell the shopkeeper its symptom and sold me a small bottle of med solution about 30cc , it is a green colour liquid medicine. Applied it to drinking water (a few droplets) and... HEAL !!! Can't remember the name because it was year 2000. Those with symptom I must force feed them the mix with syringe.

good luck

I agree with PJ. You came on another thread and was "Certain" that you birds had New Castles Disease and not you are "Certain" they don't. If you didn't have them tested post mortem, then you just don't know. If you did have NCD and any of the birds survived then they are carriers and you have a problem until you replace your flock (not just 6 months). Maybe you had something else and if it is viral, tit is the same as NCD. In any case if I roll up to hour place can you you in all honesty tell me your flock has no viral infections or carriers?

I also agree with Jake about coccidiosis except that if your birds are on the ground then there is very close to a 100% chance that they have one or more of the 5 common strains in Thailand. The thing with coccidiosis is that you don't always see symptoms. If the birds are not stresses and are well fed and have relatively clean food and water they can continue on with no outward signs. The problem arises when the birds become stressed for whatever reason like a change in weather or when harried by mosquitos and can't get any rest. I treat regularly for coccidiosis and cull any bird that looks off for any reason immediately (my BIL loves this).

I am a big fan of raising poultry, but if you really want to do this, consider doing a little more homework. There are a ton of sites that will help. I would be very cautious about youtube and would look for sites of Universities and government agencies.

good luck

Well... I know that there is still a lot I have to learn...

But what I read until now about NCD there is rather no way that only 3 birds out of over 200 get sick and died and the rest is ok... special that as they say as adult chicken can survive NDC as it is 100% mortal for small chicks. And even one small from general coop didn't died.

I wasn't aware about this coccidiosis stuff so I have to get into it smile.png Thanks for advise and thanks to RBH - I will check for this green colour liquid medicine smile.png

I will check how my flock will do further - so far so good even I get really scared when I lost those 3 birds and as I'm new to this I think I over reacted.

Will also rise my small chicks which I have already (together 53 already and 2 hens still on eggs) and keep you guys posted about progress.

Incubator has been ordered already and first days of the new year I should be ready to hatch chicks on my own.

Btw I see a lot of those "gai ban" walking around and no one care about them and they don't get sick somehow smile.png No NCD Coccid etc biggrin.png Maybe that's the way wink.png

And to cheer you up guys here is me with Tamara - one of my favorite hens - only favorite have names tongue.pngbiggrin.png

post-175342-0-25328400-1450540474_thumb.

stick at it mate youll be ok,

all birds carry cocsidiosis, its natural, but, when under stress it can flare up to a high degree and thats when you have problems,

like you run, yes its quite big, but in the rainy season will turn to mud, big problems, cocidiosis thrives in damp conditions, is there any way you would be able to make another run to let it grass and weed up,? this way you could run them on one part while the other was grassing and weeding up again,

i do this for my ducks, my chickens just have the free run of our farm, only 2 rai, they soon sort themselfs out into groups led by a cockeral, we have the house group who are allway in my garden,,lol 1 cockeral and 6 hens, the barn group, the pig pen group to the left and the pig pen group to the right, its sound funny but they do have there own territiory,

i think if you could have 2 runs would be better more so in the rainy season as its easier to walk on grass and weed then it is mud for you to do feed and drinkers,

good luck mate, and merry christmas from us at thaifarmlife.com yes thats us we have a small website ive been building,,lol

good luck

good luck

But what I read until now about NCD there is rather no way that only 3 birds out of over 200 get sick and died and the rest is ok... special that as they say as adult chicken can survive NDC as it is 100% mortal for small chicks. And even one small from general coop didn't died.

I wasn't aware about this coccidiosis stuff so I have to get into it smile.png Thanks for advise and thanks to RBH - I will check for this green colour liquid medicine smile.png

I will check how my flock will do further - so far so good even I get really scared when I lost those 3 birds and as I'm new to this I think I over reacted.

Will also rise my small chicks which I have already (together 53 already and 2 hens still on eggs) and keep you guys posted about progress.

Incubator has been ordered already and first days of the new year I should be ready to hatch chicks on my own.

Btw I see a lot of those "gai ban" walking around and no one care about them and they don't get sick somehow smile.png No NCD Coccid etc biggrin.png Maybe that's the way wink.png

And to cheer you up guys here is me with Tamara - one of my favorite hens - only favorite have names tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Gai Ban are also infected with Coccidiosis and usually about every 10-18 months a virus will come around and folks will lose a large part of the flock. It has been a while since there was a die off and it has the price of Gai Ban in the market down some. That in turns makes it more difficult to sell other chickens like spent layers. Usually the die off happens after the first rains around Songkran. As PJ said coccidiosis goes wild in the moisture and when the birds are stressed from it, any other illness overwhelms them.

You are right that only 3 hens out of 200 is not bad and this is especially true because your birds are spent layers and have had a hard life. If you really want to know what is hurting your flock, there are government centers where you can send you dead hens and they will do an autopsy. I sent quail and a chicken to the office in Phitsanoluk years ago. Even my quail raised in cages had coccidiosis.

Be very careful with medications. The ones for coccidiosis and parasites tend to be very rough on the birds. Also you need to be aware of the period after that you can not sell the eggs. There is a med I think comes in a green and white bottle called Sulfamet and it treats Coccidiosis. There are no meds for viruses and using antibiotics if it isn't bacterial is a waste.

You are going to have to find the practices that make you comfortable and productive.

I myself do not vaccinate and very rarely chemically medicate. If I see a bird that is off, I cull. A sick bird will probably die or be killed by the others and can cause them to become ill. If they don't die they will not be as productive and will lose money. I do provide Basil on a regular basis. I keep a dust bath available for all the chickens with sand, wood ash and Diatomaceous Earth. (DE). DISCLAIMER: I sell DE through the classifieds. I provide my quail a dust bath about once a month in their cages and may give them a dusting every so often. I add DE to all the feed every month or so if they are getting stressed. I powder the roosts, floors, and nests periodically to control lice. I hit their water with Effective microorganism about monthly and I have just started giving the Cider vinegar periodically. I spray Cages and coops with EM periodically. I still lose a bird now and then......it is just something you have to accept, but it is a little sad every time it happens.

Good luck with your flock.

good luck

good luck

Gai Ban are also infected with Coccidiosis and usually about every 10-18 months a virus will come around and folks will lose a large part of the flock. It has been a while since there was a die off and it has the price of Gai Ban in the market down some. That in turns makes it more difficult to sell other chickens like spent layers. Usually the die off happens after the first rains around Songkran. As PJ said coccidiosis goes wild in the moisture and when the birds are stressed from it, any other illness overwhelms them.

You are right that only 3 hens out of 200 is not bad and this is especially true because your birds are spent layers and have had a hard life. If you really want to know what is hurting your flock, there are government centers where you can send you dead hens and they will do an autopsy. I sent quail and a chicken to the office in Phitsanoluk years ago. Even my quail raised in cages had coccidiosis.

Be very careful with medications. The ones for coccidiosis and parasites tend to be very rough on the birds. Also you need to be aware of the period after that you can not sell the eggs. There is a med I think comes in a green and white bottle called Sulfamet and it treats Coccidiosis. There are no meds for viruses and using antibiotics if it isn't bacterial is a waste.

You are going to have to find the practices that make you comfortable and productive.

I myself do not vaccinate and very rarely chemically medicate. If I see a bird that is off, I cull. A sick bird will probably die or be killed by the others and can cause them to become ill. If they don't die they will not be as productive and will lose money. I do provide Basil on a regular basis. I keep a dust bath available for all the chickens with sand, wood ash and Diatomaceous Earth. (DE). DISCLAIMER: I sell DE through the classifieds. I provide my quail a dust bath about once a month in their cages and may give them a dusting every so often. I add DE to all the feed every month or so if they are getting stressed. I powder the roosts, floors, and nests periodically to control lice. I hit their water with Effective microorganism about monthly and I have just started giving the Cider vinegar periodically. I spray Cages and coops with EM periodically. I still lose a bird now and then......it is just something you have to accept, but it is a little sad every time it happens.

Good luck with your flock.

Thanks a lot Jotham for all your advices !!!

As always in Your posts there is something new and something to learn for me :)

Can you send me via PM prices for DE You are selling because at the moment Im using only sand and wood ash as a dust bath for them.

Thanks again.

I had a sick mallard this year. He just lay on his side for three days not eating or drinking. The misses poured water in his bill every now and again. He recovered, no quack for a further three weeks. But after that fully recovered.

Wish I had the space to keep chickens.

Great photos of yours.

Good luck with them.

I had a sick mallard this year. He just lay on his side for three days not eating or drinking. The misses poured water in his bill every now and again. He recovered, no quack for a further three weeks. But after that fully recovered.

Wish I had the space to keep chickens.

Great photos of yours.

Good luck with them.

Thanks for compliment :)

Well.. I never had bird with symptoms so serious (laying on the side for 3 days) my chickens were more like "sad ish" or "lifeless".

• 2 weeks later...

New Year Eve News !!!

Yesterday one of my favorite hens - Hilary decided to go broody :)

She was beating another hen to steal her nest with eggs she is sitting on 2 weeks already.

I had to move her out from the coop and make nest for her outside next to our house (where I keep few weakest chickens) ;)

Hope she will like it and will seat because if not I'm not letting her into the coops next 7 days :D

Happy New Year to all of you guys !!!

post-175342-0-14981400-1451620303_thumb.

post-175342-0-69046100-1451620304_thumb.

Hi guys in New 2016 Year !!! :)

I still have no idea how comes that from RIR hen and RIR rooster I have 4 chicks like those dark ones and 2 like this white one.

I like them because it's something different between whole bunch of brown RIR chicks and the dark ones have very nice pattern.

Anyone know maybe what kind of breed/mix those dark are similar to?

Cheers

post-175342-0-11964700-1451871206_thumb.

post-175342-0-03781600-1451871223_thumb.

post-175342-0-65465300-1451871241_thumb.

post-175342-0-25274900-1451871253_thumb.

post-175342-0-15667200-1451871266_thumb.

post-175342-0-05448300-1451871279_thumb.

post-175342-0-31804900-1451871295_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

As my young chicks from first two hatchings are getting bigger every week and every day I was forced to move them to their new, much spacious house... There is enough place for them and the next I will add in about 2 weeks... They can run, try their wings, scratch some dirt and eat some green stuff... Hope they gonna be happy there because as long they are happy so am I

post-175342-0-55293900-1452753497_thumb.

post-175342-0-10116000-1452753512_thumb.

post-175342-0-83980900-1452753524_thumb.

post-175342-0-34133800-1452753537_thumb.

post-175342-0-19308900-1452753554_thumb.

post-175342-0-38266400-1452753572_thumb.

post-175342-0-64041100-1452753596_thumb.

post-175342-0-91048900-1452753617_thumb.

post-175342-0-20233900-1452753627_thumb.

post-175342-0-34710100-1452753640_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

My first Indonesian Black Chicken are growing very nice clap2.gif

I like special this one with some color feathers - it's just beautiful biggrin.png

Can't wait when they will around 5 months old (now they are 1,5 month) so I can move them to separate house and wait for eggs to hatch some pure blood chicks thumbsup.gif

post-175342-0-74727100-1454387201_thumb.

post-175342-0-95511000-1454387211_thumb.

post-175342-0-82703700-1454387221_thumb.

post-175342-0-54803000-1454387227_thumb.

post-175342-0-46460800-1454387239_thumb.

post-175342-0-40210200-1454387250_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting bigger and more beautiful every day clap2.gif wai2.giflike emoticon And to be honest I'm not so sure that this gonna be hen anymore tongue.png grin emoticon With time looks more and more like a rooster biggrin.png like emoticon And if this is the case I would be more than happy to have such a beautiful boy in my flock thumbsup.gif wub.png

post-175342-0-50184200-1456544946_thumb.

post-175342-0-35975400-1456544969_thumb.

post-175342-0-71956400-1456544981_thumb.

post-175342-0-40303400-1456544990_thumb.

post-175342-0-59585000-1456544999_thumb.

post-175342-0-02524500-1456545009_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

New members of our family thumbsup.gif

Out of 10 eggs this hen just yesterday hatched 8 Isban Chickens (7 black, black ish and 1 grey) biggrin.png

And 2 RIR's eggs which I added as I feel that 10 eggs will be little waste of space in the nest clap2.gif

Love those little buggers wub.png

post-175342-0-49830200-1457520636_thumb.

post-175342-0-25923500-1457520642_thumb.

post-175342-0-61125900-1457520657_thumb.

post-175342-0-13783600-1457520674_thumb.

post-175342-0-24328700-1457520732_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Hi all wai2.gif

4 months ago I posted my first advert about hatching RIR's... And this was time I hatched first chicks for myself smile.png

After 4 months and of learning and hard work here is how my (almost 5 months old now) hens and roosters look like clap2.gif

I hope You like them as much as I do thumbsup.gif

Now is time start to make my own line of Black Chickens, waiting for Isban's to breed them and hatch my first Barred Plymouth Rock's coffee1.gif

post-175342-0-98341300-1460776099_thumb.

post-175342-0-64708300-1460776128_thumb.

post-175342-0-05086800-1460776141_thumb.

post-175342-0-09441800-1460776163_thumb.

post-175342-0-53692700-1460776175_thumb.

post-175342-0-72907800-1460776193_thumb.

post-175342-0-75371300-1460776214_thumb.

post-175342-0-28290500-1460776225_thumb.

post-175342-0-08915300-1460776236_thumb.

post-175342-0-35212500-1460776245_thumb.

Archived