Jay walking tickets?

elgenon

A while back I saw a couple of westeners doing exactly as Crossy described where the fence was a bit manky and they got nabbed by a Tessakit. Didnt see the result as I was in traffic and then the lights changed.

re

dropping cigarette butts along that area near Nana BTS. I can't recall any in recent times.

the sign was still outside terminal 21 in march 15 !

dave2

Someone had better tell the rest of Thailand about this, saw an old dear at Tesco Honking up something into the bushes yesterdaybah.gif

Is it even an offence here?

They used to be more vigilant about it in Bangkok, along with on-the-spot fines for littering. Haven't noticed anyone whining about either on TV in a long time.

But then it wasn't that long ago that people came to a halt at 8:00 and 18:00 when the National Anthem was played. Things change.

Edited by Suradit69

You may have noticed that seldom do they have proper cross walks located where they are most needed or should exist.

Naturally there are cross walk accommodations at most of the large intersections but all too often not properly designated with lack of green light cross walk signals...or the signal light equipment is there while long ago broken and useless

Meantime if you look around for a place to cross the road usually there is no place to cross using a properly designated cross walk ...or...the distances between any designated cross walk or over head pedestrian walk way ( sah-pan loey ) is far too much of an effort to walk all that way to a designated cross walk and use it.

However even when you do find a designated cross walk, if it does not include a red light signal to bring the traffic to a halt, 99.9999 % of the time anyone standing at the cross walk is considered completely invisible and non existent as no one will stop for you and allow you to safely cross.

Even when using a designated cross walk you have to step into the oncoming traffic when it is finally deemed safe enough while cautiously watching to see that any of the on coming vehicles are going to stop for you ...OR...realize they are going to try to sneak past you if there is any room at all to recklessly squeeze past you.

That has always been the way it is here in Thailand while pedestrians just cross where ever they want at will and at their own peril.

Cheers

Whenever i see Thai pedestrians, usually the aged ones, resolutely striding into traffic with their right hand raised i always think of Blighty cannon fodder in WW 2 crossing no man's land to their ultimate destiny. Always try to do all your business on the same side of the road.

There are (were anyway) signs and a median fence along lower Sukhumvit in BKK indicating a fine for jaywalking.

Pretty sure it's not an offence generally.

Think it is an offence in any country that has pedestrian crossings, since you are supposed to cross the road only at pedestrian crossings.

As far as I know there is no Thai law that forbids jaywalking or even acknowledges the existence of pedestrians.

I wish to correct my above statement: there is a Thai law, the Road Traffic Act, by some translators called the Land Traffic Act, of B.E. 2522, which has a whole chapter, Title 13, starting at Section 103, about pedestrians. All translations I have been able to find are incomplete and the one I saved on my computer is this one:

Road (Land) Traffic Act 2522 - en.pdf

What we call jaywalking would presumably be a violation of Sections 103–108. I wonder if the numbers shown in parentheses followed by the letter B, after the section number, indicate the amount of the fine for violation of the respective section. If so, that would be 200 or 500 Baht, depending on the section being violated.

Anybody wishing to have a look at the original Thai text of the Road Traffic Act can find it here: http://phuket.dlt.go.th/index/images/document/pdf/law/law1/3.pdf

Is it even an offence anywhere outside North America?

It is in Singapore

and Australia

I don't understand some posters, here we have US, Singapore and Australia...guys, this is about THAILAND, is it so damn hard to stick to the op.

It is indeed illegal to jaywalk, however, like most laws, it is ignored, unless some copper needs a few more baht.

There are (were anyway) signs and a median fence along lower Sukhumvit in BKK indicating a fine for jaywalking.

Pretty sure it's not an offence generally.

There is bib there nearly every day directing traffic and many people self included cross right in front of him right next to the sign that says 200 baht fine but they never stop us

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk