Why are electronics so expensive in Thailand?

ronmnk

Noticed that anything from speakers to coffee machines is 70-100% more expensive than what they would cost in Europe or the USA. I understand that import tax makes those things more expensive. But THAT much? In other Asian countries like Japan or Singapore it's mostly just 5-15% more of what you would pay in Europe.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cannot say i have particularly noticed inflated prices on electrical equipment. The only things i really buy are TV's and they have always seemed fairly reasonable. 10-12K for a flat screen, which i presume is comparable to anywhere else.

The other equipment i occasionally browse at are the electronic sections in Emporium etc toasty machines, rice makers, hot water, juicers etc never struck me as being unreasonably costly either, although granted i am rarely back in the home country these days ti gain a comparison.

Things i find expensive are decent bedding and the alike.

Yeah, maybe you just are used to the high prices by now ;) Was at Emporium today and saw for example an espresso machines that costs about 180 euro in Germany, 200 euro in Japan.. online in Singapore about 220.. At emporium: 325 euro. Most other once cost way more than in Europe as well.

Same with cars. The prices are really high. I do know that Thailand charges high import duties but the only other country I have information about is the US which doesn't charge any. You can automatically subtract that duty from the price at the store. Thailand also has another big tax on cars which at least the US doesn't have. I was helping a young relative look at a brand new 2016 Ford Focus hatchback the other day and the price was $16,000 - 578K baht. That's all in - out the door with license and title. This is not as small as many cars sold in Thailand although it is a small car.

Then there's volume buying by big retailers and competition for customers. In Thailand it seems more like prices are fixed than competition driven, although I don't know that's true.

We have another well known member here who is American. He travels to America every year. One thing he is sure to do is to buy a new laptop which he may get past customs as simply his laptop. I dunno. He says the savings is large.

Cheers.

Some interesting viewpoints !

I have just bought (last Sat) a new laptop computer which would have cost much more had I purchased in the UK or Australia.........................

Did it have a valid OS? Many laptops bought here have illegal copies installed. Back home, they are legal. I bought a laptop a few years ago and it was about 15-20% cheaper, but add in the OS, and it was close to 50% cheaper. Plus, no Thai letters on the keyboard! LOL

Duty adds to the costs here as well as not a huge demand for luxury items. Very few here are buying high end stuff. More and more every year and sites like Lazada are helping to bring prices down. But still, many high end electronics are quite a bit more expensive here. Sometimes, double what you'd pay back home...at least in the US. And especially if you are buying them at a big department store or high end stereo shop.

I am from Georgia USA and the gasoline here is more expensive than South Carolina USA and way cheaper than New York USA. The same reason why the same brand of French Cognac costs more in France than it does in the USA. You already said it: tax.

On the plus side, I bought a new Samsung phone from Tukcom a few months back for 3500 baht ($96). The next week when I went to my trusted computer store Microcenter in the USA the same phone was $149 (5300 baht).

Edited by AdamRich

Many items manufactured in China. Am I correct in thinking that China has a free trade agreement with Thailand so transport costs should be cheaper than to Europe so you would expect prices to be cheaper?Timberland shoes for example in Emporium are about 40% higher than UK. Maybe that's why there never seems to be anybody in Emporium..

Same with cars. The prices are really high. I do know that Thailand charges high import duties but the only other country I have information about is the US which doesn't charge any. You can automatically subtract that duty from the price at the store. Thailand also has another big tax on cars which at least the US doesn't have. I was helping a young relative look at a brand new 2016 Ford Focus hatchback the other day and the price was $16,000 - 578K baht. That's all in - out the door with license and title. This is not as small as many cars sold in Thailand although it is a small car.

Then there's volume buying by big retailers and competition for customers. In Thailand it seems more like prices are fixed than competition driven, although I don't know that's true.

We have another well known member here who is American. He travels to America every year. One thing he is sure to do is to buy a new laptop which he may get past customs as simply his laptop. I dunno. He says the savings is large.

Cheers.

Maybe the US should also charge some import or other taxes on cars so they would be able to properly maintain their road network...wink.png

Import duty & taxes when importing into Thailand

Overview

Import duty and taxes are due when importing goods into Thailand whether by a private individual or a commercial entity. The valuation method is CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight), which means that the import duty and taxes payable are calculated on the complete shipping value, which includes the cost of the imported goods, the cost of freight, and the cost of insurance. In addition to duty, imports are subject to sales tax (VAT), and in some cases to excise, interior tax and a surcharge.

Duty Rates

Duty rates in Thailand vary from 0% to 80%, with an average duty rate of 20.93%. Some products can be imported free of duty, e.g. laptops and other electronic products.

Sales Tax

Goods imported into Thailand are subject to VAT at a rate of 7% calculated over the CIF value plus any applicable duty.

Minimum thresholds

Imports with a CIF value up to 1000 THB are exempt from duty and VAT.

Other taxes and customs fees

Alcohol and tobacco products are subject to excise duty which could be ad valorem or specific. Goods subject to excise are levied an additional Interior tax calculated at 10% of excise.

Additionally, Thailand imposes certain product-specific surcharges on some foodstuffs that take the form of ad valorem or specific duties.

shop around many good deals also use eBay and Lazada, i personally believe maybe cheaper here than europe

Certainly about 30% cheaper than Europe if you know the right place to buy.

We bought an ZTE smartphone, excellent quality, at Lazada at 900 Baht (promotion).

The built-in camera is excellent for this price category, bottom line smartphone.

Now this promotion is finished, we wanted to buy one more but now the price is 1900 Baht.

Made in Thailand or not made in Thailand makes the difference, import tax on electrical equipment is high.

I noticed that simple HP laser printers are more than twice as expensive here as in Europe, it goes for anything with a plug that is not made here.

Electronics manufacturers are moving their production to other countries, so more stuff will become expensive here.

They are not if you shop around. I have bought a lot of electronics recently, camera, speakers, PS4, tablet, smart phone etc and they have ALL been cheaper than in the UK. Places like Lazada (with their discounts) offer very good prices, and free delivery.

Yeah, some products can be found cheaper on sites like Lazada. But I've also had tons of situations where it was impossible to not buy 70-90% more. For example with delonghi espresso maker, bose speakers.

70 - 100 % more in Thailand ? .No way for most electronics ,in my experience.Seems like roughly 10% more than most of Europe ,so it maybe 30% more than America ?

I agree on average it seems to be around 30% more expensive. There are some goods which are almost double of prices in the US.

I think many times it has to do with the re seller or importer wanting big profits, hence such a big difference.

They are not if you shop around. I have bought a lot of electronics recently, camera, speakers, PS4, tablet, smart phone etc and they have ALL been cheaper than in the UK. Places like Lazada (with their discounts) offer very good prices, and free delivery.

Yeah, some products can be found cheaper on sites like Lazada. But I've also had tons of situations where it was impossible to not buy 70-90% more. For example with delonghi espresso maker, bose speakers.

I was in the market for some high quality, outdoor speakers. The difference in price is dramatic between here and back in the US. Easily double or more. Bose were ones I was also looking at. But how many Thais are willing to pay the price for these things? I'm guessing not many. So a very low demand.

I've been told to go to Hong Kong and bring them back in our suitcase! LOL

Don't forget, the most saled electronics in Thailand are produced in Thailand and in China. So it don't give an import tax on the most products.

Thailand has a FreeTrade Arragement with China.

In my eyes a lot of things are so expensive because it don't give a real competition in Thailand and everyone want earn so much they can.

Maybe they make price agreement too? Who know it!!!

But what it give here?

Shoppingmarket: Tesco Lotus, Big C, Makro and some small one. No discounters like WalMart, Aldi, Lidl, ...!!!

For electronics Powerbuy and ..... ??? No other big one more. In Pattaya NumChai but that's all.

For computer and parts it is the Com7 Group (Banana IT, Apple, ...), J.I.B. and Hardware House.

How much profit Tesco and BigC make, you can see at all small shops what they build now everywhere. :-)

No competition = high prices!!!

Big screen TVs are Waaaaaaaaaaaaay more in Thailand than the US. And they are Made In Thailand!!

Most of the big names in TV have plants here except for Sharp, which still imports their panels from Japan.

Prices are fixed. You might find a "deal" where you save a few thousand baht, but there is no Costco or

Walmart here to kick them in the ass. And I'm sure they are quite happy that there is no Costco here.

Phones are another matter. Not too much difference in price there. Must be a volume thing.

I know what you mean I wanted to order a computer steering wheel for the kids and in America they sell for

about 8500 baht but here they go for at least 20,000 to 30.000 baht no way I will pay that much.

Let me know if you're interested in a hardly used Microsoft Sidewinder wheel.

Edited by TheCruncher

I know what you mean I wanted to order a computer steering wheel for the kids and in America they sell for

about 8500 baht but here they go for at least 20,000 to 30.000 baht no way I will pay that much.

Let me know if you're interested in a hardly used Microsoft Sidewinder wheel.

Thank's for the offer, but we are looking for one with a clutch and shifter.

Many things (yes coffee machines) are much more expensive here..

Reasons being poor supply chains.. inefficient stocking.. Low turnover of items.. Etc etc..

Basic laptops or TVs these days are volume enough that the big differences seen a decade ago have shrunk.. But many many things are still low volume and many many middlemen.. Add in random taxation and slow turnover and you have the pricing you have.