Repatriated Yank nearing retirement; Thailand or Costa Rica ?

maxman71

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I've never been to CR, I'll take Thailand. I just prefer the Buddhist mindset over the Roman Catholic. Just look at the Philippines. That is a Latin American knock off and, as such, is more dangerous. I've been coming to Thailand for 25 years and have lived here for 8. I've never been the victim of a crime. I don't know if I would be able to say that about CR or the PI.

Now, this place isn't perfect. I've seen prices escalate and the attitude of the locals deteriorate over the years, but it still hasn't gotten to the point where I would pack up and move to another 3rd world country. If I had the money, I'd still be based in the States and come here when I pleased. The most frustrating thing for me is the lack of policing. Noise is a big issue with me and there is no recourse here. For that and other reasons, I say don't buy any property here because you will find out soon enough how rare it is to have peace and quiet unless you live in the middle of nowhere. And even if you do, you will probably see them build an all night Karaoke bar across the street within a year or two. I know a lot of people who sleep with earplugs, which I find to be a hideous, unnatural alternative. A lot of others have to shut their windows and put on the AC to sleep. Noise is a big problem here. How about all the construction sites in BKK and Pattaya/Jomtien? Look around you when considering a possible land or condo buy. Is there an empty lot nearby? How long do you think it will be before the cranes move in? Of course, if your half deaf, this place will be great for you.

Costa Rica.

If you don't like it you can get to Thailand easy enough. Probably even easier to get a visa in Costa Rica than in the USA.

You can visit a few other South American countries for a few weeks at a time using Costa Rica as a base. You may find other countries you like even more.

Thailand is for those who want easy to find sex or have that department all set with a Thai. Other than the easy to find sex there is nothing in Thailand that makes it a better retirement heaven than warm climate countries the world over.

Depending on your finances, places like Spain are not expensive as well. Why not travel and rent 3-6 months at a time until you find your ideal?

It also depends on your ability with languages. Thai is not easy because it's tonal, and the alphabet is far more complex. For a native English speaker, languages in Europe and South America are easier.

IMHO, there are a lot of expats in Thailand who rob themselves financially and culturally every day, because they refuse to learn anything but the most basic Thai.

I am a retired Brit, started living in the South of Spain 2000.

4 years ago, met my now Thai wife.

We spend half the year in Spain and half in Thailand.

In the south East of Spain, there are some cities with very few expats, we live in such a city.

Truthfully, I prefer Spain for many reasons.

Health care, driving standards good (except for major holidays), drive on the right, I can own property, easy language lots of choices for food and wine plentiful and cheap.

The cost of living in Spain is similar to Thailand.

A couple of years ago we had Danish friends visiting and together we traveled as far as Gibraltar. Along the way stayed in a tiny mountain village and then in La Linea, the border with Gib.

Our friends said that they couldn't believe how safe they felt wandering the streets with us at 2 am, visiting Tapas bars or eating ice cream.

Copenhagen is apparently not that safe any more, especially with the influx of Muslim refugees.

As one poster suggested, flip a coin and see where that takes you.

You might get lucky. - I did!

Good luck

I lived in Costa Rica for 8 months and it was crap, live in Thailand now since 8 years and it's better, though far away from being perfect.

Maybe you consider a 3rd option ?

Edited by Deli

Since you seem to be financially secure, I suggest you focus on the how to handle your early retirement from a behavioral perspective. Once your professional identity fades, you'll need to replace it with something meaningful. Keep in mind that when you previously lived in Thailand you were working. Making the transition to retirement (especially an early one) is truly a psychological challenge. If you jump into re-locating to Thailand,or Costa Rica, making that self-identity transition might be more difficult.

Unless you speak Thai or have some family roots here, my advice is to stay put until you feel comfortable with your retirement self. If you are hell bent on leaving the states (and yes I get that downward spiral stuff, but don't old people usually feel that way), the best advise came from Muffy ..."stay away from the bar flies male and female . Don't hang out with broke expats".

All the best,

Don't think USA guys can so easily retire/own land in Spain. Maybe Argentina would be better, and with probably cheaper golf.

And about the noise issue: my rented place in CM is rather quiet as i face away from all traffic, few wild bars nearby, am next to open green field. By far the worst for noise is mainland china; Thailand far better. Oh, i do hear more big motorcycles and puttering tuk-tuks at night but they all depart in a hurry.

If not speaking the local language all expats are only on-the-edge of common life. And truthfully, all of us are way better off in the financial department compared to most Thais. For me, generally OK here. The weather is very flat; every day hot/sunny. BORING.

Food here i find good, low cost, hygienic mostly and quite varied. Social life the biggest concern as i'm not a boozer nor womanizer. Golf is fair enough but many of the other guys have no need for new friends since many have local women, even kids to think about, and some do speak Thai. The newcomer will always be suspect, in every place.

Health care not an issue at this time for me. Excellent pay as you go care here in CM. If must, i can return to USA and get Medicare coverage so best bet is 'stay healthy'.

I agree with Costa Rica.

I am not in the same situation as you - 10 years older, having lived in Thailand about 5 years, (2009 - 2014), Costa Rica for one month in about 2003, ... a tour in South Vietnam, 1969-70, a summer in Mexico, in 1971. Now in Phoenix, AZ for the present.

But IMO Costa Rica is the place to go. I believed the cost of living was better in SE Asia in years gone past but the concensus seems to be that Thailand is no longer attractive for its low costs. It certainly is not attractive because of the political mess and blanket depression of the population and rising antipathy against farangs. And the attractions of C.R: e.g. the warm, brown ladies and wild exotic geography and the diversity of activities available to retirees still seem to me to be genuine. Also, as i recall, the social climate was relatively mellow down there - less violent and more accepting of North Americans. But this impression may be out-of-date.

But, this is my opinion - you are younger, probably financially more secure, maybe more able to acculturate.....

If you are wondering why I am here and not there - well I had to come back to deal with a financial crisis and stayed because of medical/health issues and am still being neglected and (mis)treated for free at the VA.

WHen I am healthy I plan to go to Utah and get off the grid on a small piece of land..

If that doesn't work out and I am still living Costs Rica is on the top of my list to end up.

CHoke dii krap.

I first visited Thailand about fourteen years ago, having explored many Countries that tickled my fancy for retirement. I arrived on Koh Samui and it immediately ticked all (but one) box for what I was looking for. Good warm climate, friendly people, cost of living below most other Countries, good infrastructure ie roads, air travel, rail travel (well okay not brilliant but..), good internet, modern shopping facilities and products and a good leaping off point to go and visit other Countries. The one box it didn't tick was (and still is political stability) but funny enough, it doesn't impact on me one bit. I returned no less than four times and each time made sure the "rose tinted glasses" were well and truely off. I then formed a company, bought some land and built six house, five of which I rented out. In the ten years since I have bought the land, it has increased in value by a factor of 2, as have the value of the houses. I was then very fortunate to marry a wonderful, educated Thai Lady who owned her own Travel Business. Because of the trust she has built between us, after five years of wedded bliss, I signed the houses over to her (I know, I know there will be the "nay sayers" on this forum who will be throwing their hands up in horror, who are normally the same group who continue to live here and moan constantly about - the place, the culture, the weather.........and on and on. You get my drift I am sure). Sure I have considered other places in the ten years I have been here, because of my itchy feet, but frankly, have not found one that ticks as many boxes as Thailand does FOR ME. I understand and respect your caution and whilst one OP has suggested spend 6 months in each place, I would recommend you to spend a year in each, to get a real feel for the culture and people. Good luck in your search and I hope you find happiness in wherever you settle.

I can only tell you what I've done. I've kept my home in the US and then I travel when I want to.

It's pretty hard for me to knock the US compared to 3rd world countries. The US is so big it's easy to find a climate you like, and you can choose rural or big city. I don't care for big cities but they make up a tiny percentage of the land mass.

I can't even imagine living full time in a third world country but to each his own.

Cheers.

What is it about 3rd world countries that attract you even for short visits?

Oh, occasionally I enjoy seeing Trafalgar Square or the Tower of London. It's become a really good place to see burkas and head turbans.

Love those self-appointed Sharia patrols?

If you are a US citizen then the banks in Costa Rica will report to the US Government what you have in your accounts.The Bahamas is one of the few countries that does not report bank accounts.Costa Rica is a great place to visit and have fun but the cost of living has gone up drastically.

BAHAMA REPORTS , as does all countries now and just wait until 2017 gatca goes into effect for all the g20 nations.. the only way for ius citizen to avoid is to open a corporate account and that still doesnt guarantee it wont be reported

banking in usa is still the best tax haven in the world,,, banks in thailand also good,,, panama banks(next to CR also good) CR air and water much cleaner than thailand

great palces near usa for girls are columbia , panama, dominican republic, brazil ,,, but thailand has it hands down over the others as far as girls are concerned although miami is a melting pot for some of the finest latin girls you will find anywhere but a little more expensive

so if finances are not a problem i would but a small condo in so florida and travel to all the above places,,, can fly direct to all and with a one stop to thailand

If female companionship is part of the equation Thailand wins hands down. Thailand is also much less expensive.

If female companionship is part of equation you are right Thailand is cheaper. However when you go to a bar in CR and meet a stunningly beautiful lady, you can be sure it is a lady. smile.png

Have you considered Ecuador? Seems to rank #1 in all the retirement ratings. I know expats who just retired there and it's so cheap, but does have the usual third world disadvantages. As for me, I just retired six months ago at age 65 after 3O-year career in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, but just EFL, nothing spectacular. I've been to Chiang Mai many times and it's my second choice after the US location where I've settled for now as a divorced man. I live in a beautiful green city of 200,000 and can easily live on $1800 a month including rent, ownership of a used luxury sedan, and 100% medical coverage (Medicare parts A, B, F and D cover ALL medical costs. I don't feel Thailand is much cheaper than that and the poor choice and greater cost of cars annoys me. I love a good car for a good price and I don't mean a damned Corolla or the like...but that's just me, and of course I realise that cars are just things. The caveat for US living for me is that I have since age 31 involved myself exclusively with Asian females...I will date ONLY Asian women, or remarry even, if opportunity presents. So I just visit Asia now and then. Synopsis: Living: USA. Women: No contest, Asian ..is there any other kind?

Edited by Dustdevil

I'd say bank in Costa Rica but live in Thailand.

:-)

Even better ...... Live and bank in Costa Rica. Thailand is well past it's sell by date and deteriorating all the time.

Really, so your just a bitter Thailand hater, so why follow this forum. Strange

Asking this forum Thailand or Costa Rica, well, to many burnt farang on here, blaming Thailand for them squandering there money on bar girls... I love Thailand, wouldnt live anywhere else.. Suggesting try living in Costa Rica, then try Thailand make up your own mind..

If you are a US citizen then the banks in Costa Rica will report to the US Government what you have in your accounts.The Bahamas is one of the few countries that does not report bank accounts.Costa Rica is a great place to visit and have fun but the cost of living has gone up drastically.

BAHAMA REPORTS , as does all countries now and just wait until 2017 gatca goes into effect for all the g20 nations.. the only way for ius citizen to avoid is to open a corporate account and that still doesnt guarantee it wont be reported

banking in usa is still the best tax haven in the world,,, banks in thailand also good,,, panama banks(next to CR also good) CR air and water much cleaner than thailand

great palces near usa for girls are columbia , panama, dominican republic, brazil ,,, but thailand has it hands down over the others as far as girls are concerned although miami is a melting pot for some of the finest latin girls you will find anywhere but a little more expensive

so if finances are not a problem i would but a small condo in so florida and travel to all the above places,,, can fly direct to all and with a one stop to thailand

This isn't a discussion about tax, but I'll just add a note regarding reporting a corporate account. If you are signatory on a corporate account, I suggest you report it on a yearly FBAR. I'm not certain about reporting corporate accounts under FATCA, but I don't think it is required. (at least that's what my tax advisor tells me). I hope she's right because if the FEDS catch an account missing on either form, they'll hand down some hefty fines.....so follow the herd and be a good milk cow.

What's changed in five years?

-military "d" (we are not allowed to say here on TVF)..hichahorhhip.

-treatment of falangs.

-even less common sense.

-price rises.

-LoS seems to have less S.

But wait and see if the big event happens before you decide in one year. It might all kick off in a big way, or just go with a whimper.

All depends on what you want from life.

just a note - some see third world - others see developing world

For me, the biggest reason to be here is that I enjoy Thai people and Thai culture and sense of humor.

But, to each his own - hope you find yours.

Thai sense of humour ????????

Yes, which is far more pronounced than in places such as good old UK, where everyone seems to walk around with a long face, particularly in the soggy winters - mind you, if I lived there I would I would probably find it difficult to have the permanent happy smiling face that I do here!

For me, the biggest reason to be here is that I enjoy Thai people and Thai culture and sense of humor.

Yes, which is far more pronounced than in places such as good old UK, where everyone seems to walk around with a long face, particularly in the soggy winters - mind you, if I lived there I would I would probably find it difficult to have the permanent happy smiling face that I do here!

Ever watched the slapstick 'comedy' on television that they all find highly amusing, whatever age they are ?

Not funny in the slightest.

I was born and bred in a city known as 'the capital of humour', and the Thai's sense of humour is non existent in my eyes.

I lived in Thailand for 25 years and retired here. The job I had required that I be on the road 50% of the time. What I discovered when I retired was that the Thailand I saw on weekends and on travel back and forth to the office and airport was not the Thailand I thought it was when I actually had to live here every day. In 6 months I was fed up. Leaving Thailand permanently was not an option for my Thai wife. So where we ended up was 5 months of the year in Thailand, 5 months of the year in Canada and 8 weeks a year of travel. This is perfect. Never in any one place long enough to be bored. So suggest, as others have done, that you try out a few places first and then consider living in split locations.

Ever watched the slapstick 'comedy' on television that they all find highly amusing, whatever age they are ?

Not funny in the slightest.

I was born and bred in a city known as 'the capital of humour', and the Thai's sense of humour is non existent in my eyes.

Seems a bit harsh. Maybe we could agree that they are the nicest people money can buy.

It's sometimes unconscious; however, can be very funny. My Thai GF blew me away when she pointed out an ad on TV for Air Asia, flights for 599 baht. I asked "Where to?" She said " I don't know - does that matter?"cheesy.gif