Are these solutions for smelly drains availble in Thailand?

pj123

I have been looking for a low cost solution to a smelly groundfloor bathroom drain that leads directly to the septic tank. Came across these one way valves:

http://self-help-directory.com/buy-now/grate-seals/grate-seal-2-inch/

https://www.sparkleteam.com/products-2/the-green-drain/

http://www.aussiedrainmate.com.au/shop-now/

http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php/sureseal/

Are these types of products available in Thailand?

The drain cover grate is only 50 mm in diameter so I guess I will need to replace it with a larger 100 mm wide opening to allow room to fit the valve.

Edited by pj123

Plumbing is not rocket science. As others have stated a "P" trap or a "U bend" and proper venting will solve all these issues. Otherwise you have a direct pipe to your septic tank and all the smells that go along with it. All joking aside the gasses that come off a septic tank can be dangerous in an enclosed space.

Thank you for the replies. I have no idea if there is a P trap or U bend. The bad smell is only occasional. Digging up the pipe is not an option so a valve seems like a good solution. I will order one from Australia if I cannot find one here.

or the thai method, but a plastic bucket over the drain

I usually recommend a saucer or small plate upside-down over the drain, remove to shower.

Cost approximately zero (assuming out OP has some crockery).

Dig up the floor and put a u bend in. Problem solved.

yes this will work until you need access for cleaning/unblocking do you intend digging up the floor each time for this process ??

Snake cures that problen

Dig up the floor and put a u bend in. Problem solved.

yes this will work until you need access for cleaning/unblocking do you intend digging up the floor each time for this process ??

Snake cures that problen

i agree also soda crystals will shift usual grime gut not solid objects ie childs toys/tooth brushes/lids of various kinds my wife removes the cover meant to stop these objects she even cleans the guard to stop infamous issan long hair

PJ123: The Smart Drain has been sold in Thailand since at least 2008. It is the only floor drain I would consider in a shower in a home on a modest to moderate budget. It is widely available in Thailand at better sanitary ware home improvement stores, even in Buriram province. You would not want a P trap under that Smart drain. Smart Drains are installed in this Buriram Village Home. The Cotto Smart Drain can be bought in Isaan for less than 650 baht, but either way it is a worthwhile bathroom floor drain product in my personal experience.

post-20604-0-52718800-1451029557_thumb.j

post-20604-0-26352100-1451029639_thumb.j

Plumbing is not rocket science. As others have stated a "P" trap or a "U bend" and proper venting will solve all these issues. Otherwise you have a direct pipe to your septic tank and all the smells that go along with it. All joking aside the gasses that come off a septic tank can be dangerous in an enclosed space.

Water drains (shower, sink, floor) shouldn't be connected to the septic tank.

The septic tank is for human body waste.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Yup ^^^, grey water can go directly to your leech-field or the second chamber if you have a two-chamber septic.

I fitted HepVo valves to all the waste pipes in our place. It's a tube with a flexible flat tube inside. water runs out and the tube opens. No water and gas pressure from the septic or drain holds the tube flat causing a seal. They are great, much more tolerant of hair and debris, don't glog, no moving parts and prevent any tank smells in the bathroom. Cos it's just a tube no need to excavate deep below a shower stall to install a P trap.

Bought mine online, but believe there is a distributor in Thailand. Google "Hepvo valve"

post-39406-0-60447100-1451034161_thumb.j

go to home pro and get some blocks of BIONIC WASTE EATERS,its in powder form,tip one down the toilets and followed by a bucket of water every 3months.

what i have always used after is to flush,sink,toilets and shower drains with costic soda.works for us in a big house.

what i have always used after is to flush,sink,toilets and shower drains with costic soda.works for us in a big house.

Not good advice for anyone with their septic tank incorrectly connected to the sink or shower drains.

This, I have a separate tank for water waste.

Standard construction is twin tanks,black water and grey water.

Not good advice for anyone with their septic tank incorrectly connected to the sink or shower drains.

"WHY"?

"WHY"?

The caustic soda will kill the good bugs that live in your septic and eat up all the poop.

"WHY"?

Because the poster has assumed that any mention of a septic tank means black water. Nothing wrong with putting caustic soda down the drains into the grey water side of your septic tank. In fact nothing wrong with putting caustic soda down the toilet into the black water if you are happy to have it emptied regularly. If you treat your septic tank properly it should never need to be emptied.

I was not aware of this. I may very likely be wrong and the shower drain goes to the public drain, not the septic tank.

PJ123: The Smart Drain has been sold in Thailand since at least 2008. It is the only floor drain I would consider in a shower in a home on a modest to moderate budget. It is widely available in Thailand at better sanitary ware home improvement stores, even in Buriram province. You would not want a P trap under that Smart drain. Smart Drains are installed in this Buriram Village Home. The Cotto Smart Drain can be bought in Isaan for less than 650 baht, but either way it is a worthwhile bathroom floor drain product in my personal experience.

Thanks, thats good to know before we start digging up the shower floor!

"WHY"?

Because the poster has assumed that any mention of a septic tank means black water. Nothing wrong with putting caustic soda down the drains into the grey water side of your septic tank. In fact nothing wrong with putting caustic soda down the toilet into the black water if you are happy to have it emptied regularly. If you treat your septic tank properly it should never need to be emptied.

we have 2septic tanks one each side of the house[3bathrooms] and in over 6yrs.have never had to do anything other than treat them to a waste eater every so often,this changes all the waste to fluid and is le out into the water drainage pipes.

Anti odor floor drains (using circle of water) have been available here for decades and work well (except in dry area where you must remember to keep a little water in it as drys out). Cost starts under 100 baht. This is 139 baht from HomePro.

196095.jpg

Anti odor floor drains (using circle of water) have been available here for decades and work well (except in dry area where you must remember to keep a little water in it as drys out). Cost starts under 100 baht. This is 139 baht from HomePro.

196095.jpg

Ok as long as not too much water involved. I spent last night in the Privi Hotel in Pattaya and had to lift the drain cover when I was in the shower. More water from the shower than the drain could handle,

Have never had a flow problem at home if I clean weekly - but if hair and dirt are allowed to take up most of the water tray space that could happen. Have had such issues in hotels. They are really easy to clean but guess some just use the mop and don't take the cover off.