Bangkok Bank: No internet banking for Thailand Elite card holder

It's really common to be told you need a work permit when in fact you don't. Bank accounts seem to be the most common, but I've also been told by car salesmen it's required, for a driver's license once, and when getting post paid phone service. It's never stopped me. I've just had to talk to someone the next level up. But it's so common I've wondered what it's about. It seems to be a knee jerk reaction for many customer level employees.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the OP's position I would threaten to immediately close all my accounts with the bank. I say this cos i have lots of accounts, a bit of money and have been here yonks and I have always done something like that if faced with poor service. They will soon be running around for you. That will really lower your blood pressure.... Bad customer service and petty regulations is something you never have to put up with.

I used to be with the SCB bank, I asked them for a credit card, and they told me I needed a work permit, I then told them I had one, they said fine we will get back to you. The next day they phoned me at the school and told me my credit card would be ready in about two weeks.

After about four weeks when I did not hear from them, I went to see them. They then told me my credit card had been refused.

I told them there and then to close my account. I said I do not deal with people who offer such disgraceful service.

Why don't you try going to an ATM and seeing if you can enable it yourself. When I got my Bangkok Bank account an employee went to the ATM with me and showed me how to enable it. I don't remember how, but it was pretty simple. Seems it would be worth a try.

Thanks for all the comments. The refusal to add ibanking to my savings account sounded really weird to me as well. The lady at my branch rang through to BB HQ (where I also have another account), gave them my account number etc, described my visa and my business holdings and they said if I don't have a WP then no ibanking!

So I called up Thailand Elite CS and got them to ask the same questions, with my bank account #s, and they emailed me back with the same refusal.

I really cannot understand it at all. But TiT and I will contact SCB and other banks to ask them for an ibanking

account.

Maybe one of my ex-wives was the gik of the BB president.... ??

Truly amazing! I've got internet banking at 4 Thai banks with just a retirement visa. Though it doesn't seem to make sense, maybe it has to do with the elite visa.

Or see my previous post about going to an ATM and enabling it yourself. You never know.

With so much time and money invested in Thailand I'm surprised at your naivety

...Try another branch

Yes, I'm aware of that option. Perhaps surprisingly to you, I am not going to spend my time going from bank-branch to bank-branch, in the hope of finding one who is willing to bend the rules.

I'll contact Thai Panit - thanks Briggsy for the suggestion.

Its not going from branch to branch to find one that will "bend" the rules but to find the one that follows the rules. As stated many banks won't take the time to follow the rules. Tried opening an account at Citi Bank Central World BKK I am from USA on retirement Visa (non-O) they said no account without WP ,went to their branch near Asok station they opened one with a deposit of $100,000 baht. Went to a couple of BKK Banks did not want to give me account went to one at mall they gave me account with internet access but had to wait till manager came back from vacation to approve it( 1 week)
I've also got a retirement visa and 4 bank accounts with internet banking. In all cases the minimum deposit was something like 500 baht. And didn't have to go from branch to branch, but in one case I had to talk to a branch manager.

A post containing a derogatory slur toward Thai people has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I get account in BB, but some branch even do not want open account for tourist visa.

So its only policy branch. And with tourist visa need apply i banking and wait 1-2 weeks its going from head ofice BBK.

And at its be not international transfer from this is Ibanking. For international transfers need WP.

So try another branch and bank.

If account is joint or they have you listed as a tourist you must visit a branch to open internet banking with Bangkok Bank - but it is easy once you file the application - but most branch offices do not know the rules so you my have to tell them.

You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

(except non-immigrant L-A visa)

1. Valid passport, and
  2. ONE of the following documents:

2.1 An identity card with your photo issued by a government institution or university as such as:

- Your driver’s license, Foreign Identification Card, University Student/Professor Card

2.2 A letter of recommendation from

- Embassy, International Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT message, a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer, government officer, company executive, private firms), or home country institutions (such as pension receipt)

2.3 Other documents issued in Thailand showing your name such as:

- Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents showing owners of a fixed asset Condominium e.g. Sale/Purchase Agreement

Silly, to ask for a reasoning in TH, but for what is that point 2.2 about, Recommendation about, for what?

What should my Embassy write? rolleyes.gif

Got a savings account, ATM card and internet banking set up with BB at the first request with just a 30 day visa on arrival.

Having my wife with me probably helped. We only visit LOS twice a year but the internet banking comes in mighty handy.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Strange... I have internet Banking with BB since years...

Me too, and I might add I have a retirement ext, not a work permit and do not have income.

I hardly recall when I received internet banking but I know it was straight forward and given easily.

You spoke to the wrong person, or the wrong branch. I believe I did it at an ATM machine.

If account is joint or they have you listed as a tourist you must visit a branch to open internet banking with Bangkok Bank - but it is easy once you file the application - but most branch offices do not know the rules so you my have to tell them.

You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

1. Valid passport, and
  2. ONE of the following documents:

2.1 An identity card with your photo issued by a government institution or university as such as:

- Your driver’s license, Foreign Identification Card, University Student/Professor Card

- Embassy, International Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT message, a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer, government officer, company executive, private firms), or home country institutions (such as pension receipt)

- Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents showing owners of a fixed asset Condominium e.g. Sale/Purchase Agreement

Silly, to ask for a reasoning in TH, but for what is that point 2.2 about, Recommendation about, for what?

Simple you are who your passport says you are and that you currently reside at your Thai address should do it. Just something to link you with Thailand and your name.

• Valid passport, and
  • ONE of the following documents:

- Your drivers license, Foreign Identification Card, University Student/Professor Card

- Embassy, International Organization, Customers home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT message, a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer, government officer, company executive, private firms), or home country institutions (such as pension receipt)

Simple you are who your passport says you are and that you currently reside at your Thai address should do it. Just something to link you with Thailand and your name.

I have 4 bank accounts with internet banking and was never asked for 2.1, 2.2 or 2.3

Thanks for all the comments. The refusal to add ibanking to my savings account sounded really weird to me as well. The lady at my branch rang through to BB HQ (where I also have another account), gave them my account number etc, described my visa and my business holdings and they said if I don't have a WP then no ibanking!

So I called up Thailand Elite CS and got them to ask the same questions, with my bank account #s, and they emailed me back with the same refusal.

I really cannot understand it at all. But TiT and I will contact SCB and other banks to ask them for an ibanking account.

Maybe one of my ex-wives was the gik of the BB president.... ??

Despite what many will tell you the rules did change in Jan 2014. It has taken a long time for banks/branches to put their acknowledgement/interpretation/implementation into effect.

In May 2014 I had an email from TMB head office stating that my visa was inconsistent with the new requirements for internet banking. If I did not visit the branch by the 1st July 2014 then I would lose access to the internet banking. The email said the requirements were a work permit or a long term visa.

I live in Chonburi and have 2 accounts with TMB and both on internet banking. I went down to the branch in Chonburi but as my original account, which is considered the main account, was opened in Pattaya I would have to go to the Pattaya branch.

When I went to Pattaya I saw the manager and she told me what had happened and that my Non O multi entry was acceptable as a long term visa. She said that she had attended a seminar the previous week on the changes, the visa regulations was only one of many changes in the annual BOT statement.

It would appear that the 2 banks have put a different interpretation on the BOT regulations and without seeing the actual wording it is difficult to say what would be correct.

Looks like your faced with another account, good luck.

Also, you can change the Be1st card into a credit card online. As long as you have funds in it you can use online to buy things. I just bought flights from British Airways. There was a 20,000 baht limit but I went to the branch and got it increased to 150,000 no problem.

So you can just ask them to switch your Be1st to a credit card? This'd be easier than having to go through all the rigmarole of paying online through Bualuang iPay.saai.gif

Also, you can change the Be1st card into a credit card online. As long as you have funds in it you can use online to buy things. I just bought flights from British Airways. There was a 20,000 baht limit but I went to the branch and got it increased to 150,000 no problem.

So you can just ask them to switch your Be1st to a credit card? This'd be easier than having to go through all the rigmarole of paying online through Bualuang iPay.saai.gif

You can apply for credit card if hold in account money. Amount you hold= amount you get credit , min 10000

I used it for point airasia. Anyvay i spell money. so if can get point and after ticket for this is Why not?

But its not real credit , becouse you can get how much you hold money .

You can apply for credit card if hold in account money. Amount you hold= amount you get credit , min 10000

I used it for point airasia. Anyvay i spell money. so if can get point and after ticket for this is Why not?

But its not real credit , becouse you can get how much you hold money .

Sorry, but blink.png

I have internet banking with BB and have an extension based on retirement, no problem.

Think this is a case of try another branch that understands.

But extension and tourist visa it's be different.
Anyway 3 month ago i am apply second account in BB and add i-banking. It based on my tourist visa.
And 4 month ago in Pattaya some branch BB even refuse open account for my friend with tourist visa. Another branch open without any question. But ask passport and any another ID( driver license be fine)
When i open 1 year ago just ask passport.
What i want to say. Different branch- different policy

When a farang walks in the door to open an account some branches have below wheel which they spin first. They then cross reference the number/letter/symbol that the wheel stops on to a secret Thai Bankers Association policy letter which tell the bank personnel how to treat the account opening request. It ranges from piece of cake account opening to being thrown out the door on your butt. I think when it lands on the B (stands for bankster) that means throw the farang out the door on his butt (but with a smile).

post-55970-0-80421800-1451130803_thumb.j

As the OP is in Phuket I would recommend the Bangkok Bank branch in Patong on Rat-U-Thit Road a block or so north of Jungceylon. It's a large branch and seems to be very used to dealing with farang. I was able to open a savings account with internet banking a few years ago with just a Non-O ED visa. They basically did it for me at the nearest ATM machine. I had internet bangking the day I opened the account. They have been very helpful. Only complaint is that if you are a US Citizen they will ask to see a Social Security Card when you open a new account (it's their interpretation of due dilegence required by FATCA). I think if you are not a US Citizen you will avoid this requirement.

I would suggest standing your ground and forcing them to call Bangkok Bank Headquarters to obtain the overide code that must be inputted that allows a passport number to be used instead of a work permit number or Thai ID number

And any rule change that occurred in 2014 was when Thai banks had to become FACTA compliant and that is what I think sandyf got caught up with at TMB and their request for additional information

But if I had spent all that money on a Thai Elite Card you had better believe they would be obtaining a bank account with Internet access for me if they wanted me to renew

I feel your frustration. I have an account at thanachart bank and applied for a debit card but unbelievably I can't use it on the Internet, so it's basically useless but I'm struggling to find another bank to issue me an account so far in bangkok

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk