Justifying giving toddlers alcohol

luke000

Out on Christmas eve and there was also a Thai Lady there with her four year old son .

She was giving him beer to drink .

When questioned about giving alcohol to toddlers, her reply was

"I dont want him to grow up to be gay"

That must be the stupidest thing that I ve ever heard anyone say and its completely wrong on every level

Years ago when working in Malaysia a military doctor recommended a small glass of beer was good for toddlers every now and then as it helped prevent tape worm.

Im not a medic myself, but there are probably better alternative to preventing tateworm

The Italians have been giving wine mixed with water to their children for years with no ill effects. In fact there is less chance of them growing up to be binge drinkers.

Yeah they just grow up into alcoholics who drink every night....

You have proof of this or is it just another unfounded flippant remark? In fact, Italy is well down the list in terms of alcohol consumption, so I guess you were just talking out your toot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

Edited by giddyup

The Italians have been giving wine mixed with water to their children for years with no ill effects. In fact there is less chance of them growing up to be binge drinkers.

You have proof of this or is it just another unfounded flippant remark? In fact, Italy is well down the list in terms of alcohol consumption, so I guess you were just talking out your toot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

Absolute garbage, there is no excuse for giving children alcohol, so stop spouting nonsense.

Absolute garbage, there is no excuse for giving children alcohol, so stop spouting nonsense.

If you cared to do a bit of research instead of wearing blinkers, you would see that a lot of European countries have been giving their children at meal times, small glasses of diluted wine, with no ill effects. In fact, as I mentioned, there seems to be a reduction in binge drinking. Now you can either accept the facts or continue to bury your head in the sand, but absolute garbage it's not.

Bit disappointed Australia is so far down that list.

It's funny that Europeans have a very relaxed attitude towards alcohol and allow their children to imbibe at meal times and in diluted measures, and I don't see French or Italian teenagers going crazy when they turn 18 and are allowed to drink in bars. However, the US, UK and Australia just to name three, the level of binge drinking among teenagers is through the roof, countries that don't introduce alcohol to children. Make of it what you will.

I have to admit that I got my first drink of Guiness in a wine glass on new Year's Eve 1957.

I had to make my views forcefully known in the family when I saw my sil giving a drink of beer to his grandson. He was about 9 months old. Anyway this was the first time I insisted on something and I think they got the message, the kid did reach out for any beer cans he saw for a while after that.

Probably harmless in small doses but the danger of addiction is high at that age.

Although that is giving wine to young adults, rather than to toodlers .

There is a big difference to giving some diluted wine to a 14 year old as part of a meal and giving a four year old beer for social; resons

I take my boy into town with me (Chiang Mai) some days.

And he would always want a sip or two of my beer if I had lunch.

If I have coffee, he wants some of that too.

I've been doing that since he was one.

He's also a bit of a boob groper.

If a Thai woman bends down to him, it's a boob grope every time.

They don't seem to mind either.

He's starting off as he means to continue ...... and why not TiT!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Luke, that was a sad thing you witnessed, but some Thai Customs I still can't get my head around and I've been coming/living here a fair while.

I'll ask she who must be obeyed a little later about this one you mentioned, but for clarification, what (general) part of Thailand was this in?

It was in Chiang Mai

Why dont you tell your boy that groping females is wrong and that he shouldnt do it ?

Or do you yourself find it titillating ?

Why dont you tell your boy that groping females is wrong and that he shouldnt do it ?

If they think it's OK to touch him without my permission,

Then I think it's OK for him to touch them without their permission.

(Do you think I want him to grow up gay? .... Oh Dear, now we're back to the OP)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

If they think it's OK to touch him without my permission,

Then I think it's OK for him to touch them without their permission.

(Do you think I want him to grow up gay? .... Oh Dear, now we're back to the OP)

Kids that age view breasts as being a food source , rather than sexual playthings , so your hope of him groping females with a view to being hetrosexual when he grows up are somewhat misguided .

The groped females probably do not object because they think that hes a child and that he doesnt know any better , and they would probably object if they knew that he is a serial groper whos Father is compliant, for his own sexual gratification .

Parents are there to teach their children what they can and cannot do , and touching other people sexually is something that they shouldnt be doing

Actually, exposure to alcohol in childhood appears to promote drinking in later life rather than reduce it.

From the English Newspaper, the Guardian.

The solution

When France starts getting twitchy about children drinking alcohol, then surely it is time to take note. Bertrand Nalpas, who heads the alcohol and addiction office at the French National Institute of Health and Medical Research, has been quoted as saying that French teens are drinking more heavily – with one in five 17-year-olds drunk at least three times a month.

Social learning theory would suggest that children are influenced by how parents drink, so light drinking with meals should promote low-risk consumption. But there is no evidence that this works. Indeed, some research suggests that parental disapproval reduces alcohol consumption. Children will, of course, be influenced by their peers and by how much their activities are monitored. They are likely to try alcohol. But allowing sips or half a glass at home under the age of 15 doesn’t seem to protect them – and may even have the opposite effect.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/05/should-i-let-my-children-try-alcohol

My parents often diluted a bit of wine with water or lemonade, as did their friends. Probably around the time i was 10 or twelve.

Alot of mothers also rubbed whiskey or brandy on the gums of teething babies. Or put half a teaspoon in their bottle to help them sleep. I have seen a friend's mother stick a dummy in a glass of brandy and stick it in the babies mouth...!!? But that is Europe.

My dad made the best toddies. But that was when i was older and ill. Whiskey, lemon, tea, hot water and about 3 aspirin. And lots of honey. Knocks you out!! And in the morning you are right as rain. Best cold and flu remedy. None of those expensive lemsip stuff from the chemist. Homemade is best, and i still use that remedy now.

Honey is good for you.

I would never give a child that toddled up to me a sip of my beer or wine. Never. It's not right.

But in Europe, as said above, parents let their children "drink" at the table. And i agree, it has stopped that sneeking for a beer attitude that Americans have, or drinking because it is illegal. In Switzerland you can drink beer and wine at 16, and spirits at 18. I don't see any teens staggering around here after binge drinking, very often.

They are usually telling their parents to "slow down, the night is young"!!