Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

Even 25 in a day is a seriously low number.In 9 years of retirement extensions I have never been with the officer for more than a 15 minute stint. Spent more time waiting for the sign off.Then again I have not factored in the queue jumping from next door.

New Imm offices are opening, or about to be opened, all over the country including some areas that have very few foreigners living there yet the CM fiascocontinues.Arrive at 7am and you still can't get processed that day without going to GT4 and paying 3,000 baht.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even 25 in a day is a seriously low number.In 9 years of retirement extensions I have never been with the officer for more than a 15 minute stint. Spent more time waiting for the sign off.Then again I have not factored in the queue jumping from next door.

New Imm offices are opening, or about to be opened, all over the country including some areas that have very few foreigners living there yet the CM fiascocontinues.Arrive at 7am and you still can't get processed that day without going to GT4 and paying 3,000 baht.

Being sorted, the big police chief has already started investigations at the various immigration offices, mainly to seek out foreigners marrying for reasons other than love so they are bound to get around to other problems -aren't they? And Chiangmai is bound to be near the top of the list- aren't they?

Being sorted, the big police chief has already started investigations at the various immigration offices, mainly to seek out foreigners marrying for reasons other than love so they are bound to get around to other problems -aren't they? And Chiangmai is bound to be near the top of the list- aren't they?

Bring it on

Only the bad ones will be effected

It might make it easier for us who are doing the right thing for our visas

Plus they might look into how the immigration offices are not working correctly

IMHO

I admire your optimism, or is it as I suspect sarcasm ?

I admire your optimism, or is it as I suspect sarcasm ?
A friend knows a friend at bkk immigration. They heard about the red eye queue/line at Promenada thru me, and seemed quite offended at their northern colleagues little ruse.

Saying it makes the organisation 'look bad' however nothing more came of it.

In other news, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the new Immigration sign that's gone up on a hitherto empty shopfront upstairs, right opposite The Dukes burgers, this past week.

Another move on the Cards?

Since that shop is well and truly inside the overnight locked building complex, maybe this red eye line up nonsense will end soon?

I've also noticed the codgers queue/line can be almost deserted some days. And then had to arrive at 4am (after 2 turn-aways) on others.

It is indeed pitch dark and treacherous footing at 4am. I'm surprised some of the truly elderly folk have not taken a bad tumble by now.

Arrived yesterday @ Promenada at 6.45am for a retirement extension.

I appeared to be number 11 in the queue as there were 10 people in front of me including a couple and one individual, who had missed out the day before.

The fellow immediately ahead of me arrived at 6am. I spoke to a Thai girl at the front of the queue, I presumed she was an agent? She said she arrived at 3am.

The person who was 4th in the queue, arrived at 4am.

A handful of others arrived after me, including a "medical" case and a chap who arrived close on 8am, looked set for number 15.

Shortly after 8.30am, visas were checked and queue numbers handed out.....I actually received #14, even though there were physically only 10 people in front of me, so I'm presuming "agents" in front were allowed to queue for more than one "customer" per person, something I thought wasn't allowed?

The 8am arrival, actually got #18 and there were no others at around 8.45am, meaning 2 more queue cards were available for whoever walked in next for that day.

Being #14, I was asked to come back at 1pm which I did.

In observing, there seemed to be no one processed in under 15 minutes. There was only one officer processing, he was friendly, efficient and extremely accurate and thorough.

I don't think he could process more than 20 per day alone, given some applicants from the morning batch were back to see him again in the afternoon for a variety of reasons.

At a guess, I would say around 2 out of 3 applications were being approved, others were being asked to come back with additional information, of which, I'm not exactly sure of but one person needed further bank verification information and another needed something from their embassy. These are two I spoke to whilst waiting.

The "new" foreign national form was asked for, which I had prefilled without a photo. I was asked for a photo which the officer pasted to the form. This form too, was reviewed pretty thoroughly.
​My stay ended just before 3pm and I left with my new extension.

90 Day had around 40 in the queue @ 8.30am, that desk caught up a number of times during the morning, so after say 10.30am, those arriving after were processed pretty quickly.

Cheers........................

The last retirement extension I did at the IMM Airport office, before they moved to Promenada, there were 3 officers processing retirement extensions , 2 officers at the front and one lady officer out the back who processed mine within 10 mins and of course the on line system was in effect which was used for my appointment, on time at 1pm.

So has the foreigner population in CM decreased by 2/3rds or just a cynical ploy to make life harder unless you get your wallet out?

I think most would know the answer to that simple question. Thanks JWNZ for your comprehensive report,appreciated.

The last retirement extension I did at the IMM Airport office, before they moved to Promenada, there were 3 officers processing retirement extensions , 2 officers at the front and one lady officer out the back who processed mine within 10 mins and of course the on line system was in effect which was used for my appointment, on time at 1pm.

So has the foreigner population in CM decreased by 2/3rds or just a cynical ploy to make life harder unless you get your wallet out?

I think most would know the answer to that simple question. Thanks JWNZ for your comprehensive report,appreciated.

I guess they are still working on the "new" online booking system which could be put together by any partially tech savvy 12 year old.

If you mean for the Foreign National Information Form, perhaps you could list the manager of the place where you live.  That's what I did and I've been here for 8 years.  As I understand the purpose, it suppose to be for them to find you in an emergency.  What better person to know where you might be than the office manager of the place where you're staying?  They know your comings and goings anyway.

Actually, the security guards and cleaning staff in our building probably have a better idea of where I am than the manager, but I don't know all their names.  Doesn't matter -- the office manager would just go ask them if anyone asked him about my whereabouts.

Just a question, if you have a 1 year non-i visa from Chonburi , can you do your 90 day report in CM ?  If you have like 2 addresses and want to live in CM for a few months ?  

1 hour ago, balo said:

Just a question, if you have a 1 year non-i visa from Chonburi , can you do your 90 day report in CM ?  If you have like 2 addresses and want to live in CM for a few months ?  

I would think that if you submit a TM28 (change of address) on arrival in Chiangmai you should be able to do the 90 days based on the CM address submitted.

Does anyone know the current status on needing a TM30 when doing a retirement visa extension?  I haven't seen mention of it in a while, yet a friend just had to do (with a proxy from his non resident landlord) one and he (or the landlord) was fined 1,600 baht.  I have been in the same residence for 10 years and this has never been an issue.  Others I know have not been asked.  Any CURRENT experiences?

16 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Does anyone know the current status on needing a TM30 when doing a retirement visa extension?  I haven't seen mention of it in a while, yet a friend just had to do (with a proxy from his non resident landlord) one and he (or the landlord) was fined 1,600 baht.  I have been in the same residence for 10 years and this has never been an issue.  Others I know have not been asked.  Any CURRENT experiences?

When did my extension last week was not ask. It is not your task to to produce TM30 but your landlord or owner

29 minutes ago, jonesthepost said:

When did my extension last week was not ask. It is not your task to to produce TM30 but your landlord or owner

Not necessarily, it depends on the circumstances. The Immigration Act states;

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence .

A TM30 should only be completed once for each residence.

After 10 years in the same residence it's unlikely you will be required to now supply a TM30.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

Not necessarily, it depends on the circumstances. The Immigration Act states;

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence .

A TM30 should only be completed once for each residence.

After 10 years in the same residence it's unlikely you will be required to now supply a TM30.

We have lived in our house for 16 years; but still no mercy!.

The good news is, we only have to do it again, if I go abroad.

4 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

I agree with you, but this is not what is happening.  I also thought once it is done, is done.  But apparently the law states, or at least what immigration is now telling people, is that it must be done each time one leaves the country and returns.  They also refused to process my friend's visa extension until he had a copy of the TM30.  His landlord, as mine, does not live in Chiang Mai and it potentially creates quite a hassle. 

Others I know, as posted, have not been asked.  Just trying find out what criteria, if any, they are using.
Apparently it is being applied differently depending on who one talks too.  In the past I left the country almost monthly.  My landlord would not be too happy if she had to go to immigration each time I took a trip (also she resides in Germany).  But then it doesn't matter what I think or common sense. 

6 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I agree with you, but this is not what is happening.  I also thought once it is done, is done.  But apparently the law states, or at least what immigration is now telling people, is that it must be done each time one leaves the country and returns.  They also refused to process my friend's visa extension until he had a copy of the TM30.  His landlord, as mine, does not live in Chiang Mai and it potentially creates quite a hassle. 

Others I know, as posted, have not been asked.  Just trying find out what criteria, if any, they are using.
Apparently it is being applied differently depending on who one talks too.  In the past I left the country almost monthly.  My landlord would not be too happy if she had to go to immigration each time I took a trip (also she resides in Germany).  But then it doesn't matter what I think or common sense. 

It's only required when you take up residency.

Your permission to stay is a temporary situation, once you leave it to go abroad and re-enter, you are effectively taking up residency again.

You'll obtain a new TM6 and your 90 report is reset from the date of re-entry.

The rule applies even if you leave your temporary residence for over 24 hours to another province, but it is rarely enforced provided you haven't left the Country.

Immigration are quite within their rights to request a new TM30 each time you take up residency again.

The TM28 is only required if you Change your Address.

As for your friend, he can complete the TM30 himself although he will require signed copies of his landlords ID card and Tabian Baan (Blue House Book). The Immigration Act states;

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

The House Master is defined under Section 4 as;

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

I'm now in my third different address since living in Thailand and on 2 occasions have completed the TM30 myself as the House Master (tenant) in the absence of my landlord, without any problems whatsoever. As long as they have your landlords/home owners details to enter on their computer system, they don't really care who completes it and signs it.

The confusions arisen because not all Immigration offices previously enforced the laws, but that's changing.

The law hasn't changed for the past 37 years

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

If they in fact do accept "tenant" that is easy to do. Edit: I just reread your post and noticed that a copy of tabiaan baan is needed. That again will require action by the landlord who is not available.    Everything I read specifically says the "property owner or landlord'' must sign.  In my friends case, he was required to mail a power of attorney form to his landlord so he could complete the TM30 on her behalf and paid the fine.  They also had him phone her from their office to confirm. Promenada would not issue is visa extension without the TM30.  As you say this was not enforced before.  I have been here since 2002 and it has never been an issue.  As I said previously this could be a burden on the landlord if one leaves the country an a regular basis. That said; the foreignor should also not be punished or restricted due to the landlords action if we have met all our responsibilities. 

The problem, as usual, is why they are enforcing this on a selective basis? I know others who have renewed the extensions in the last month and were not asked anything about a TM30.  What is the criteria they are using, not what the law says. 

6 hours ago, Faz said:

It's only required when you take up residency.

Your permission to stay is a temporary situation, once you leave it to go abroad and re-enter, you are effectively taking up residency again.

You'll obtain a new TM6 and your 90 report is reset from the date of re-entry.

The rule applies even if you leave your temporary residence for over 24 hours to another province, but it is rarely enforced provided you haven't left the Country.

Immigration are quite within their rights to request a new TM30 each time you take up residency again.

The TM28 is only required if you Change your Address.

As for your friend, he can complete the TM30 himself although he will require signed copies of his landlords ID card and Tabian Baan (Blue House Book). The Immigration Act states;

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified."

I'm now in my third different address since living in Thailand and on 2 occasions have completed the TM30 myself as the House Master (tenant) in the absence of my landlord, without any problems whatsoever. As long as they have your landlords/home owners details to enter on their computer system, they don't really care who completes it and signs it.

The confusions arisen because not all Immigration offices previously enforced the laws, but that's changing.

The law hasn't changed for the past 37 years

No wonder there is general confusion.  This message is helpful but wrong in one respect, as noted previously by Ubon Joe (who everyone thinks is THE expert and is quite good, really).  He is a definite plus around here.

One part of this message is not correct, as Ubon Joe will agree.  You do NOT have to keep submitting TM30 forms every time you go in or out of country or go away for more than 24 hours in Thailand.  LIGHTEN UP!  See my post about recent actual confirmed experience at Ciang Mai.  This is the Chiang Mai Foum, isn't it?!  Never mind about any other place or any further confusion.

Anyway, it is NOT a serious problem.  If your landlord ("House master") is a problem because he or she lives abroad or doesn't like talking to you, clue them in and get an authorization from him/her.  No big deal.  They get fined, not you!  In the meantime, DON"T OSSESS about it!  Yes, as some people have reported (including myself) in the case of an absent landlord, provide a copy of a rental contract, maybe a tabian baan.  That works.  I have NEVER had any problem.

Too many would-be lawyers and nervous nellies post on TV Chiang Mai!  RELAX!  Nobody is going to send you away!

2 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Everything I read specifically says the "property owner or landlord'' must sign. 

The Header of the TM30 form clearly states

NOTIFICATION FORM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE

WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED

57 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

One part of this message is not correct, as Ubon Joe will agree.  You do NOT have to keep submitting TM30 forms every time you go in or out of country or go away for more than 24 hours in Thailand.  LIGHTEN UP!  See my post about recent actual confirmed experience at Ciang Mai.  This is the Chiang Mai Foum, isn't it?!  Never mind about any other place or any further confusion.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's incorrect, it's a question of how the Immigration Act is interpreted and applied by Immigration officials.

Under the law the House master must notify the arrival of an alien within 24 hours.

Is an alien in leaving the Country deemed to have left his residence and on return his arrival must be reported again?

Section 39 : After having received permission for temporary entry into the Kingdom , if the alien leaves the Kingdom it is considered that his temporary entry permit has expired. But , if prior to leaving the alien is granted permission to return by the competent official , and the alien returning is not excluded from entry under Section 12.and the period of time previously authorized has not expired , the alien shall be authorized to stay in the Kingdom for the rest of the authorized time.

Words such as 'leaves' and 'return' suggest you have 'arrived', even if it not be for the first time.

I suggest everyone familiarises them selves with Sections 37 - 39 of the Immigration Act and draws there own conclusions.

Thai Immigration_Act_EN.pdf

Sorry,  you are still wrong. I understand the point you are trying to make.  Your point, however, is wrong both in interpretation and actual practice.  All you end  up doing is worrying people unnecessarily.  That really is too bad.

If what you said made any sense, really, I would be in deep sh** (Well, my landlord would!) but I am not and the landlords for some ten years are not --- so give it up, for pete's sake!  Try to be practical and helpful, not fuss and bother with your interpretations and their implementation!

Mapguy, I'm sorry, but as the "possessor" of a residence, someone can file their own TM30 and there have been cases of renters being fined for not having a TM30 on file -- not their overseas landlord.  After all, who is the one sitting across from Immigration at the time the issue is raised?  Whether someone is challenged about this issue is purely up to the "discretion" of the individual Immigration officer and it is something used on an arbitrary basis.

Most of the full-service, reputable visa service agencies in town want an applicant for a one-year extension to have evidence that a TM30 has been filed as part of the wad of documents supplied, so they aren't challenged during the application process.  

My advice would be that if someone doesn't have their ducks in order with the issue of a TM30 maybe they should use the "helpful" agency next to Immigration Promenada for their retirement extension.  They seem to be able to help when there are defects of this type.  The need for a TM30 in order to obtain a retirement extension will undoubtedly be overlooked.

Sorry, I'm not trying to unnecessarily worry anyone.

As an alien it's your responsibility to make yourself aware of the laws governing your stay in Thailand.

It's well documented on TV that not all Immigration offices follow the exact same procedures, so it would be wise to consult your own Immigration office to determine exactly what they expect and require in given situations.

If there is an inconsistency with the Immigration offices, then expats will continue to disagree on certain requirements depending on their own experiences, however sharing our experience can be a prelude of what maybe what to expect for newcomers especially.

3 hours ago, Faz said:

Sorry, I'm not trying to unnecessarily worry anyone.

As an alien it's your responsibility to make yourself aware of the laws governing your stay in Thailand.

It's well documented on TV that not all Immigration offices follow the exact same procedures, so it would be wise to consult your own Immigration office to determine exactly what they expect and require in given situations.

If there is an inconsistency with the Immigration offices, then expats will continue to disagree on certain requirements depending on their own experiences, however sharing our experience can be a prelude of what maybe what to expect for newcomers especially.

I agree with you 100%

As NancyL has stated she could not have said it better

It is hard for all of to understand all that the immigration throw at us

It depends on the day, plus the immigration officer too

Archived