Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

1 minute ago, Thailand said:

Just sent my 90 day by post ,5 minutes in the post office, ems out 3 baht stamp back ,5 day turnaround.

Each to their own. A mate of mine does the same as you, and similarly receives his back in five days. Tell me, though, does your 90 days start from the date of their receipt, (which could mean you're losing a few days each time or risk going over the 7 days grace if it doesn't come back in time)?

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Each to their own. A mate of mine does the same as you, and similarly receives his back in five days. Tell me, though, does your 90 days start from the date of their receipt, (which could mean you're losing a few days each time or risk going over the 7 days grace if it doesn't come back in time)?

You will lose a few days with their receipt date  but hardly a major drama is it ? Would rather spend 5 mins in the PO than trek out to Imm. What I spend at the PO is about the same as what I save in fuel. Some enjoy Promenada I'm just not one of them and I can track my EMS  mail on the net

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

If the head of immigration (from Bangkok) comes to do a spot check, will that 'strange' shop be closed or opened?

If you remember way back

When Bangkok Immigration came for a check

It was mysteriously Closed

With the new Boss now in charge

I think it was in the best interests for all to relocate upstairs

But we will all never know what is really going all

We can all just surmise in our thoughts

Somethings we can not publish

IMHO

90 Day Report Today(Monday).  

1.  Arrived at 0800-Long Line at the 90 Day desk

2.  Got #32

3.  IO started the 90 Day Reports at 0845.  Of course the first three reports were from  Visa Agents

4.  During my wait the same visa agent twice came up without a # being called with small stacks of 90 day reports,

*But the IO was very efficient and quick with each report.

5.  My # was called at 0945 and I was on the escalator to the Wetzels Preztel by 0955.

6. Got back to the apartment by 1045.

Overall, I have no complaints about Immigration at Promenada.  They were all polite, courteous and professional.  Because it was Monday morning I expected the worst.  I was pleasantly surprised.  

On an unrelated note I used Uber from the Nimman area to Promenada.

1.  Going 200 Baht

2.  Return 100 Baht

I can't figure out Uber's pricing algorithm.  The same distance and route were used with 2 different drivers but the price changed by 100%.

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

On an unrelated note I used Uber from the Nimman area to Promenada.

1.  Going 200 Baht

2.  Return 100 Baht

I can't figure out Uber's pricing algorithm.  The same distance and route were used with 2 different drivers but the price changed by 100%.

For 200 baht, you don't need Uber, there are cheaper alternatives, read

Edited by EricTh

EricTh, I understand your point.  I do not live near the Old City.  Uber was 20 minutes from my building to Promenada even with some stop and go traffic on the Super Highway.  From my perspective 200 Baht for the comfort and convenience riding in a A/C vehicle is worth it. It may not be worth it for all who need to conduct business at Immigration.  

Just now, sqwakvfr said:

EricTh, I understand your point.  I do not live near the Old City.  Uber was 20 minutes from my building to Promenada even with some stop and go traffic on the Super Highway.  From my perspective 200 Baht for the comfort and convenience riding in a A/C vehicle is worth it. It may not be worth it for all who need to conduct business at Immigration.  

If you prefer the A/C, then it's a better choice than the red mini-bus which costs the same fare.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, cnxgary said:

Just returned from Imm. for 1 yr retirement ex. Arrived 7 am. 2 people in front of me. All finished by 9:45 am.

How many people were in the queue when the immigration guy came out to give queue numbers?

22 hours ago, EricTh said:

How many people were in the queue when the immigration guy came out to give queue numbers?

Monday morning at 07:00 am

- 8-9 for 90 days.

- 5-6 for Office 3 for Visa (forgot which)

- 2-3 for office 2 for Visa (teachers, guardians and students).

TM30 about 10 people on floor 2. Only in Chiang mai after 10 years of making yearly Visa, was I asked to get that paper (I had copy of the daily report from Condo, which is usually enough as I am in their system)..

New thing this time, asked me for rent contract as well: lost over an hour to get it.

2 Visas for 1 year (Student and Guardian) done at 10:30.

Off to multiple re-entry permit for 3 persons at 10:45, done in 40 minutes max...

Quite smooth overall, thought I know it is low season....

Am 50/50 regarding the service and this is only due to semi-aggressive attitude at first contact..

At TM30: "Why you don't have rental contract? No contract, I no make TM30 for you"... (after finally getting the contract, it seems it was not needed by the guy that processed the paper) LOL

At Visa office, due to 1h30 mins wasted at TM30, my queue number was long past: "WHY you not here when i called you 2 times, now you wait.. AM busy"...

But after that, when presenting papers and waiting again for my turn, very nice and sweet contact, good service and chit-chat with the same 2 officers that were aggressive...

Funny contrast...

Edited by CantSpell

2 hours ago, CantSpell said:

At TM30: "Why you don't have rental contract? No contract, I no make TM30 for you"... (after finally getting the contract, it seems it was not needed by the guy that processed the paper) LOL

Is this TM30 for 90 days notification?

Not every condo will provide rental contract, some will renew on a weekly basis.

My old condo required me to have a contract but not my new condo.

Edited by EricTh

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Is this TM30 for 90 days notification?

Not every condo will provide rental contract, some will renew on a weekly basis.

My old condo required me to have a contract but not my new condo.

I am totally at a lose with that one, I have no idea why they are asking this, their TM 30 is a requirement for visa extension, not 90 days.

Rental contract is not needed except if you rent a house, but definitely not for a condo (as far as I know) or hotel...

TM30 is the form that hotels use whenever you stay in any hotels (and pretty sure it applies to Condo as well): list of all foreigners staying every night is sent daily to immigration. Form summaries passport number, name, entry card number, expiration of entry stamp, all details already.

Automatic for hotels but responsibility of Visa holder to make sure this form is sent when staying long term in condo at each re-entry: meaning, give the passport again every time you come back in Thailand so they can update new entry card number and new expiration of entry stamp...

In condos / long term residence, nobody remembers to update details at each re-entry but was told by school that CNX immigration is very strict on this matter..

Lived in this place for nearly 18 months nowbut  my details have only been sent to immigration since I asked 3 months ago (she showed me the screen: had no address for 15 months) :clap2:

10 years in Thailand doing 3 visas per year for myself and family in other provinces, i have never been asked for that form except in Chiang Mai (could be just to justify that office on floor 2 though)...

They are basically making a small paper with your name and address duplicating information in the system.. on a paper, cos paper is forever :passifier: !!!

Other offices do actually definitely need the TM30 reporting (not the paper): my Visa done this year in another province, they double checked the system to make sure I was registered the day before applying for the visa but they did not send me to another office to get a paper to confirm what was in the system already..

Edited by CantSpell

I received my extension based on retirement recently. I used the company based in Promenada. Not sure if I can name them on here.

I had to provide passport, copy of TM30, letter from residence, bank letter and bank book for funds in the bank 3 months. They did everything else for me- photo, photocopies, application form. I just signed.

I just turned up in the morning at 1045, and had to go back in the afternoon.

I was very happy with the service, and can recommend them to anyone wanting a stress free experience. Obviously I had to pay for their service, but it was a price I was happy to pay.

If anyone wants more details can PM me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I received my extension based on retirement recently. I used the company based in Promenada. Not sure if I can name them on here.

I had to provide passport, copy of TM30, letter from residence, bank letter and bank book for funds in the bank 3 months. They did everything else for me- photo, photocopies, application form. I just signed.

I just turned up in the morning at 1045, and had to go back in the afternoon.

I was very happy with the service, and can recommend them to anyone wanting a stress free experience. Obviously I had to pay for their service, but it was a price I was happy to pay.

If anyone wants more details can PM me.

Your contribution to the ailing Thai economy is admirable.The name is well known even they are a little shy with signage:smile:

Annual pilgrimage to Chiang Mai Immigration.

Arrived at about 09:00.  Received a ticket for a retirement visa and asked to return after lunch.  Ticket #11.

The "Information Desk" was relatively busy --- constant traffic of varying needs.  Staff by two very competent regulars and two new student interns learning the ropes.  VERY impressed with the efficiency and thoroughness, as well as helpfulness of the experienced young lady at that desk.  Helpful, also, in that the regular "Retirement Extension" officer, Nicky, was absent.

NOTE: Appointment  day account book update confirmation of  the bank letter was required.  Previous day's ATM endorsement in the book was not accepted.  Basically easy to do at the bank branch ATM (on the concourse at Promenada). No problem as the copy shop --- very efficient --- is only 20M away.

Returned at 1:00 and was seen almost immediately, indeed sought out by the "Information Desk" clerk.  Although I am eligible for the old folks' desk, that is apparently inoperative at present with the main desk (1st floor) handling everything.  Went with the flow.

A clearly experienced officer was filling  in Sergeant Major Nicky's place.  He was also on the Tourist Visa extension desk and as well as apparently doing some supervision around the office.  Nicky is faster than a speeding bullet in handling retirement extensions.  The replacement officer was not that fast, but very thorough.  Indeed, he picked up on an error (by the bank) in the bank letter, and I was sent off to correct that.  The branch manager in Promenada contacted the mistake after checking with the branch manager of my operative branch where I have the bhat fixed account.  Many effusive apologies.  All this took about 15 minutes, and I was welcomed back by the immigration officer.

By the way,  there were two staff at the retirement desk to assist handling all the bloody stamps  (Done with much care!) and take the required picture.  I now have more pictures on file with the bureau than Donald Trump has of his fake Time  magazine covers framed and hung in his golf clubs --- but it is close.   Behind the desk were some 10 - 15 bundles of forms for filing.  What DO they do with all that paper?  Bomb shelters?  The Burmese might strike again!

Observation: I prepared some detailed questions to ask the officer about immigration matters with reference to the standing police order,  These were readily answered.  Impressive.

NOTE:  Regarding an incapacitated retiree unable to showhis or her face, a medical letter from the attending physician will do. Previously, I have learned that the physician must be staff of a government hospital (if they really follow the book) plus a properly-executed power of attorney or similar spouse consent form, if you have one, acting on the disabled person's authority.  I do suggest that there be supporting information like photos, and possibly working out some way to take and scan an uptodate ID photo (4x6 or 2") of the disabled person (How about a background of medium blue hospital bed sheets?  Nah, just joshing!)  BUT, not joshing, an inquiry about evidence and procedures at the time would be smart.

Then, desk work done,  the visit skidded to a stop.  The lieutenant colonel in charge of the office had left to poweder her nose, and she did not return for a while.  Maybe thirty minutes or so.  No problem, really.  Brought my magazine, and there was time to observe what was going on while awaiting the opportunity to photocopy the new extension page in the passport so I could get a re-entry visa.

Finally had the boss's signature, got the new extension page copied, and back to the Re-Entry Desk in a flash where two rather bored but efficient student interns had all done and dusted inside fifteen minutes, and I had to wait briefly for my turn.

So, all in all, a productive experience.  Your mileage will vary depending upon your  needs, time of day,  day of week, and season, but I can't really complain. This was my second annual journey to Promenada to do the deed.  Went last time at 07:00.  That worked, but didn't do the same this year.  Wednesday is supposed to be a busy customer day at Promenada, but this Wednesday afternoon wasn't really at all busy.  And no feeling your way through a dark garage and sitting on some hard stool at some god-awful hour of the morning.

Well, for those who like to work with agents, go to it, but I've never used one and don't see the need yet. Practive helps!  This year I forgot to put my telephone number on one form!  Probably have saved nearly 100k bhat over the years.

NOTE:  Was informed by an officer (who wasn't thrilled at the prospect) that the new  3-storey office on Airport Road will NOT have parking, so it appears that parking will only be available at one of the stations across the road or at the airport (ugh!) or at Airpost Plaza.

Ah, forgot!  I did a scan of activity upstairs.  Not terrifically busy at the TM30 desk.  However, the two disgruntled women who serve that desk looked as unpleasant as usual --- but their make-up has improved.  Now, if they'd just smile!  I don't think they like that job.  The Visa Exchange desk was empty.  The business desk was perking along, as was the desk (where the lame and elderly used to report) now doing letters of residency.  The clerk in the back left of the room was shuffling papers.  There were a number of people waiting, but I didn't ask for what.  A couple of them shot me a murderous glance as it apparently seemed to them I might buck the line!  No customers in the G4T shop.

• Like 1

I did my Yearly Visa Extension today 29 6 2017

I arrived at 7 15

I was given No 12

Not sure on Mapguy No 11

Maybe you were there yesterday

As i saw a man in a wheel chair before me

It seemed the first 1 to 11 took a long time

As a few were  in wheel chairs

I was seen  at 10 45 and all finished by 11 15

The lady after me too a bit shorter as she had our photo taken after me

The retirement line 15 people at 8 30

The 90 day line about 30 people at 8 30

Tourist Visa line about 10 people at 8 30

Im not into checking the numbers people were given

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, Sparkles said:

Your contribution to the ailing Thai economy is admirable.The name is well known even they are a little shy with signage:smile:

I have previously done extensions by myself and every time something new and unexpected. I was happy to spend  a few baht to avoid the stress. The cost was no more than some spend on booze in a week.

BTW, I contributed far more to the Thai economy by making the huge mistake of getting married.

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, JimGant said:

What 'letter from residence' are you referring to?

? It was a letter, as in writing on a piece of paper from the reception in my hotel stating that I was residing there at the time of my application. Signed and on hotel stationary.

21 hours ago, Mapguy said:

So, all in all, a productive experience.  Your mileage will vary depending upon your  needs, time of day,  day of week, and season, but I can't really complain. This was my second annual journey to Promenada to do the deed.  Went last time at 07:00.  That worked, but didn't do the same this year.  Wednesday is supposed to be a busy customer day at Promenada, but this Wednesday afternoon wasn't really at all busy.  And no feeling your way through a dark garage and sitting on some hard stool at some god-awful hour of the morning.

When I went I noticed not many doing extensions.

I wonder why so fewer expats doing extensions now. Expats shouldn't be governed by the high/ low season. Perhaps many are abandoning Thailand ( or Chiang Mai ).

In the 2 years that Prom Imm. has been open, one underlying influence on their "busyness" is the International School calendar. Many families tend to arrive to live in CM for the first time in the month of July -- just before the new International academic year begins. Then many parents will begin applying for visas for their entire family that first month or in following months before their initial non-immigrant-O or other entry visa expires. Their landlord's initial TM.30 reports or parents applying for Certificates of Residence to purchase a used vehicle also contribute, at minimum, to the appearance of busier foot traffic. On top of that, 90 days later the same family needs to make their first 90-day (TM.47) report -- impacting the first month of each subsequent quarter (Oct, Jan, April). Those months tend to be the busiest at Prom Imm with the 3rd month in each quarter usually a bit quieter (like June was).

July and then August will soon ramp up -- at least that is how it has been for the last 2 years. Having the two major Immigration office procedures temporarily (while construction going on at the old main office) concentrated in just one place, could make many of us wishing it was June again.

Edited by CMsojourner
Typo correction.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CMsojourner said:

In the 2 years that Prom Imm. has been open, one underlying influence on their "busyness" is the International School calendar. Many families tend to arrive to live in CM for the first time in the month of July -- just before the new International academic year begins. Then many parents will begin applying for visas for their entire family that first month or in following months before their initial non-immigrant-O or other entry visa expires. Their landlord's initial TM.30 reports or parents applying for Certificates of Residence to purchase a used vehicle also contribute, at minimum, to the appearance of busier foot traffic. On top of that, 90 days later the same family needs to make their first 90-day (TM.47) report -- impacting the first month of each subsequent quarter (Oct, Jan, April). Those months tend to be the busiest at Prom Imm with the 3rd month in each quarter usually a bit quieter (like June was).

July and then August will soon ramp up -- at least that is how it has been for the last 2 years. Having the two major Immigration office procedures temporarily (while construction going on at the old main office) concentrated in just one place, could make many of us wishing it was June again.

Good observation

As some keep saying it is always quiet

Just wit till 1st November things will change as Peak period Time Starting

• Like 1

after 14yrs here i think will get less and less 

for years was the Japs  they stopped lack of money

then oz and Europe and USA they stopped lack of money 

then Chinese got money /that has slowed 

the retired has near stopped to the stupid visa problem

and country's tightening up on retired people

after what they did to me last extension a fine of 1600b for this stupid tm30

after all these years in and out of the country about 50times never a tm30

then get hit with this fine

if i hadn't found a top wife here and built a house 

i would be living in Vietnam 100%

• Like 2

Just now, willie01 said:

My question is this, should I apply for my retirement visa in my home country or proceed to Thailand and get it done there?

For first timers, you must apply for retirement visa at your home country. Check with the Thai embassy at your home country as to the requirements.

For renewal, you can apply in Thailand.

Edited by EricTh

There is a recent thread on the visa subforum that addresses the question of whether it's better to apply for a O-A visa in your home country or to come to Chiang Mai on visa exempt status and do an "visa conversion" in Chiang Mai: