Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PETDCAT said:

sorry if this has been asked a million times but.......how long before my retirement visa expires can I apply for renewal?

In Chiang Mai 45 days and you don't "lose time" because your extension is dated one year from the date of your previous extension.  Many other provinces have a 30 day rule.

We arrived immigration Prom 7.25am this morning, swapped places with our line sitters (Thank you guys and gals).

Grabbed a couple of coffees from one of the stalls. Tickets issued at 8.10am. We were seen at 9.25 am, finished paperwork about 9.45am.

Wandered up to Rimping as they were opening, 20 minutes or so shopping. Returned to collect passports at 10.25am. Home at 11am.

Cost of "line sitters" 600 baht. ?

According to the (2) IO's, moving to "airport" location for week commencing 24th  September.

Re Visa Extension for retirement:  Just wanted to say that, in retrospect, I found the whole process pretty easy without using an agent BUT with hiring a "line-sitter". 

Nothing wrong with using an agent, and for people who don't mind spending the money, it certainly is the easiest way to deal with immigration matters.  However, The paperwork and procedures are actually pretty easy considering that everything you need to know for doing it, specifically in Chiang Mai, is right on this forum; most of it right in this thread (though it could stand some editing).

I don't think there is anywhere else you can even get a lot of this information in a reliable and transparent way except here!  Even the officials at immigration can be pretty misleading with what they tell you!  This forum is truly a great resource for expats, not just for immigration matters, but everything Thailand!

I think it's really great that many of the posts come from incredibly knowledgeable and trustworthy expats that don't mind giving there time to help others.  Hat is off to all of YOU guys!

25 minutes ago, Thailand said:

We arrived immigration Prom 7.25am this morning, swapped places with our line sitters...

...According to the (2) IO's, moving to "airport" location for week commencing 24th  September.

Just curious, what queue number did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

Re move to airport...is that a good thing or a bad thing? ?

9 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Paid 12k all up. Arrived Promenada half hour early but told to come back at appointment time of 1500 and on my way home 1535. Don't believe there is any doubt whatsoever the agents fee is divided but as to what % is left at Promenada I have no idea.

If you calculate properly, the agent cost is roughly 6000 baht and not 5000 baht.

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

According to the (2) IO's, moving to "airport" location for week commencing 24th  September.

Does that mean all the queues like residence cert, 90 days, reentry etc?

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

If you calculate properly, the agent cost is roughly 6000 baht and not 5000 baht.

A few months ago I paid 5900 THB and that included the 1900 THB imm fee. I did not get 90 day reports included. 4000THB to agency. They make a lot of money. G4T is 3000THB plus imm fee.

I'm hoping the new immigration office is much smoother with more people handling immigration business and after the bugs get worked out. I'm not holding my breath but I prefer to look at things on the positive side.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

We arrived immigration Prom 7.25am this morning, swapped places with our line sitters (Thank you guys and gals).

Grabbed a couple of coffees from one of the stalls. Tickets issued at 8.10am. We were seen at 9.25 am, finished paperwork about 9.45am.

Wandered up to Rimping as they were opening, 20 minutes or so shopping. Returned to collect passports at 10.25am. Home at 11am.

what number were you assigned?

Best Friend Visa, the old G4T operation at Prom, charges only 3000 for the extension, and another 500 for a multiple (or single) re-entry stamp. They're located right around the corner from Prom, in the new shop houses adjacent to Big C.

This whole agent argument is amusing. Without agents, Immigration would slow even more, as the inept would  be shooed back to reaccomplish that which an agent would have in perfect order. I applaud those with their ducks in order, but take exception to their argument that agents are inefficient. Au contraire -- they allow the less capable to not plug up the system. Yes, paying to go to the front of the line seems unethical -- but so too paying for a line sitter. So, for the accomplished, hire a line sitter. For those us bordering on inept (or laziness), hire an agent. In sum, Immigration will approach a semblance of efficiency. Forget the ethics -- and welcome to Asia.

3 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Best Friend Visa, the old G4T operation at Prom, charges only 3000 for the extension, and another 500 for a multiple (or single) re-entry stamp. They're located right around the corner from Prom, in the new shop houses adjacent to Big C.

This whole agent argument is amusing. Without agents, Immigration would slow even more, as the inept would  be shooed back to reaccomplish that which an agent would have in perfect order. I applaud those with their ducks in order, but take exception to their argument that agents are inefficient. Au contraire -- they allow the less capable to not plug up the system. Yes, paying to go to the front of the line seems unethical -- but so too paying for a line sitter. So, for the accomplished, hire a line sitter. For those us bordering on inept (or laziness), hire an agent. In sum, Immigration will approach a semblance of efficiency. Forget the ethics -- and welcome to Asia.

How is it, then, that other provinces manage to operate their immigration offices without the plethora of immigration agents that we have here?

14 minutes ago, NancyL said:

How is it, then, that other provinces manage to operate their immigration offices without the plethora of immigration agents that we have here?

They seem to have different types of agents in other areas who break the law by facilitating retirement extensions without proper seasoning. 

I have seen no evidence of any agencies offering that at PROM.  From what I hear/read any "offers" involving such "facilitation" are asking customers to "use" an address out with CM.

I do not support the idiocy of each region "interpreting" the law to suit themselves. 

All I can say is that in nearly 20 years it has always been thus at CM. 

Hence my use of agents and their predecessors since 2000.

36 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

They seem to have different types of agents in other areas who break the law by facilitating retirement extensions without proper seasoning. 

I have seen no evidence of any agencies offering that at PROM.  From what I hear/read any "offers" involving such "facilitation" are asking customers to "use" an address out with CM.

I do not support the idiocy of each region "interpreting" the law to suit themselves. 

All I can say is that in nearly 20 years it has always been thus at CM. 

Hence my use of agents and their predecessors since 2000.

Yes, I think you're right in that in other provinces the only retirees who have to use agents are those who don't, shall we say, fit the criteria.  In my research, Chiang Mai is unique in that retirees who meet all the requirements find that they have to use an agent to eliminate excessive wait times.

All you have to do is go to other Thai government offices in Chiang Mai province or other immigration offices in other provinces to realize that the Thai people are perfectly able to organize a government office on par or better than what we would expect in the west. 

So ask yourself why does the Chiang Mai Immigration office continue to delivering such bad service? 

The Asian "rice bowl" concept. You rarely have centralization/standardization of operations over here if not entirely necessary -- even under a commie system. Every province -- and its sub operations -- has a certain amount of autonomy if there's no absolute reason for standardization. Has been this way in Asia since forever. Immigration would seem to fit this pattern.

Quick example. My last Air Force job was helping automate the ROKAF (Republic of Korea Air Force) radar sites into a single automated amalgamation. Problem we found was that each radar site commander had authority to use either true or magnet north as their "up" position on a manual radar scope. Fine, when your entire radar picture is just your one radar site. But try amalgamating 6 radar returns of a single aircraft onto an automated single picture when site commanders can't agree on what represents north. Anyway, a few rice bowls had to be broken to standardize operations.

But if there's no absolute requirement for standardization, Asian autonomy prevails. And if some Immigration operations have expanded beyond capacity -- and agents would facilitate matters by making the paperwork processing more efficient -- sounds like a good reason to introduce agents.

That a female farang couldn't undo centuries of male 'rice bowl' management isn't too surprising. Get over it -- and welcome to Asia.

41 minutes ago, JimGant said:

And if some Immigration operations have expanded beyond capacity -- and agents would facilitate matters by making the paperwork processing more efficient -- sounds like a good reason to introduce agents.

That ain't the reason.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

The Asian "rice bowl" concept. You rarely have centralization/standardization of operations over here if not entirely necessary -- even under a commie system. Every province -- and its sub operations -- has a certain amount of autonomy if there's no absolute reason for standardization. Has been this way in Asia since forever. Immigration would seem to fit this pattern.

Quick example. My last Air Force job was helping automate the ROKAF (Republic of Korea Air Force) radar sites into a single automated amalgamation. Problem we found was that each radar site commander had authority to use either true or magnet north as their "up" position on a manual radar scope. Fine, when your entire radar picture is just your one radar site. But try amalgamating 6 radar returns of a single aircraft onto an automated single picture when site commanders can't agree on what represents north. Anyway, a few rice bowls had to be broken to standardize operations.

But if there's no absolute requirement for standardization, Asian autonomy prevails. And if some Immigration operations have expanded beyond capacity -- and agents would facilitate matters by making the paperwork processing more efficient -- sounds like a good reason to introduce agents.

That a female farang couldn't undo centuries of male 'rice bowl' management isn't too surprising. Get over it -- and welcome to Asia.

be prepared for the fan club to come out of the weeds.   somewhere in this thread is the quote about knowing what you can change....and what you can't.    actually,  too much fight will usually make things worse.  And contrary to what some believe,  my experience was that it was the same way in the States !

On 9/5/2018 at 12:10 PM, scottiejohn said:

They drive you to Immigration in time to meet the agreed time slot.

All very nice, but I don`t need to be driven and brought back from immigration, I don`t need any assistance with my paperwork and I don`t need anyone to hold my hand when I arrive there.

Was told another new agent has opened up somewhere in Hang Dong on the Hang Dong Road (108). They are gearing up for the move from Prom to the newly developed near airport building, whereas the whole system will be manipulated to push us to use agents. Probably the new setup will be used for Burmese and other neighbouring countries applicants and also for authorising extensions and visas. I guarantee they will pull the plug on the cheats using sitters, bad for business.

Eventually the agents will ring their fees, all charging around the same, with no regulations imposing ceiling levels on fees, the sky`s the limit.

Don`t believe it?  Then brace yourselves, you`re in for a shock.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Quick example. My last Air Force job was helping automate the ROKAF (Republic of Korea Air Force) r

That a female farang couldn't undo centuries of male 'rice bol' management isn't too surprising. Get over it -- and welcome to Asia.

uh hun  And one of my last jobs was running the international customer service center for a Fortune 100 company in the chemical sector.  I haven't checked lately, but it may be one of the top 10 companies in the world.  

Could I suggest you get off your White Male Privilege Horse?

And I might add that I say this with great reluctance, but as a woman of age 65 who put in her time in corporate America, I'm applauding what's going on now.  I've had my share of male privilege when I was top of the class both in mechanical engineering and business administration and yet they wouldn't hand me the keys to the company.

I watched as male buffoons climbed over my back to "run the show."  It's not an "Asia Rice Bowl" situation.  

Nancy, sorry for shut doors in your life by being a female. And, sorry you had to end up in Asia, where being a female is even a greater detriment. But, hey, not all is lost. You're a resident of the transgender operation center of the world. So, get a grip -- there may be a tool out there just for you.....

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

My take is that the total amount of Chiang Mai Immigration business has increased exponentially over the last decade or so where other provinces have not. I'm think total business not just retirees. Chinese seeking 30 day extensions, Ed visas, all of the business that immigration might have to do.

With that growth Chiang Mai Immigration had to do something until Bangkok gave them the funds to expand. Maybe the new building will be much more efficient. More people employed to handle the business and better computer systems etc. Until then the agents can can streamline the process.

Big governments cannot change on a dime. It takes lot of time so they ship the work out to private companies the help reduce the workload. In the USA we call it privatization. There is a lot of corruption in the USA as to who gets contract in that privatization ... just like everywhere in the world.

I know I'll get a lot of blowback from this statement but I try to remain an optimist. That is increasingly hard to do on TVF.

39 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

My take is that the total amount of Chiang Mai Immigration business has increased exponentially over the last decade or so where other provinces have not. I'm think total business not just retirees. Chinese seeking 30 day extensions, Ed visas, all of the business that immigration might have to do.

With that growth Chiang Mai Immigration had to do something until Bangkok gave them the funds to expand. Maybe the new building will be much more efficient. More people employed to handle the business and better computer systems etc. Until then the agents can can streamline the process.

Big governments cannot change on a dime. It takes lot of time so they ship the work out to private companies the help reduce the workload. In the USA we call it privatization. There is a lot of corruption in the USA as to who gets contract in that privatization ... just like everywhere in the world.

I know I'll get a lot of blowback from this statement but I try to remain an optimist. That is increasingly hard to do on TVF.

Have you seen the posh new building yet? Does anyone really believe that`s been funded by the Government using Thai taxpayers money for the purposes of streamlining the service for the benefit of foreigners? Even a blind man could see that`s been funded by the private sector. This is about business. I`m sure even Nancy will agree with me on this one.

I wouldn`t be surprised if in the not so distant future that extension of stay fees will rise to 30000 baht or more with agents now being the middle people. To me, agents are just another body that I`ll have to kiss ass to obtain a yearly extension for the privilege of staying another year in so-called paradise.

I`m already bracing myself for what maybe in-store for us. And BTW, Nancy has never addressed me as Hun.

12 hours ago, NancyL said:

My guess is that most other provinces have much lesser foreigners who want to stay there with the exception of Bangkok, Phuket and Pataya.

These other provinces don't have much customers so there's no need for agents.

The number of customers will continue to grow in Chiang Mai as more and more Chinese realise that Thailand is a good place to stay and just a hop away.

Archived