New Aussie Pie Shop - Jomtien - Delishimo!

Gsxrnz

180 baht is cheap for a roast dinner. Where is that?

Sunday roasts are widely available starting from about 120B. Admittedly the cheapest ones do not have all the extras or the most expensive cuts of meats.

From around 150B one would expect the extras.

Soi Buakow area has plenty of choice, and there must be hundreds of places on the dark side doing such meals. I quite like the Starlight bar at 150B.

Chill Bar, Players Lounge.
What about Jomtien ? Strange , I have not seen any places under 300. Edited by balo

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

180 baht is cheap for a roast dinner. Where is that?

Sunday roasts are widely available starting from about 120B. Admittedly the cheapest ones do not have all the extras or the most expensive cuts of meats.

From around 150B one would expect the extras.

Soi Buakow area has plenty of choice, and there must be hundreds of places on the dark side doing such meals. I quite like the Starlight bar at 150B.

What's the point of comparing the price of one type of meal/food with another? I pay 125 baht for a piece of cake at Starbucks and 135 baht for the cappuccino. I pay over 300 baht per kilo for seedless US grapes. It's all quite irrelevant. If a person has a desire for an Aussie pie, he might not want a cheap roast dinner instead. Perhaps the next night he'll go for the roast meal.

What's the point of comparing the price of one type of meal/food with another? I pay 125 baht for a piece of cake at Starbucks and 135 baht for the cappuccino. I pay over 300 baht per kilo for seedless US grapes. It's all quite irrelevant. If a person has a desire for an Aussie pie, he might not want a cheap roast dinner instead. Perhaps the next night he'll go for the roast meal.

I think the point was to emphasise that these pies are quite expensive when compared to other quite similar meals, and indeed to other pies.

No great surprise given the high rents that have already been mentioned.

So nobody else likes my soup menu idea to eat with a pie?

JT, pies and soup don't really go together in the traditional sense in the countries that claim fame to inventing and developing the classic meat pie over the centuries.

Eaten properly, a proper meat pie should be held in the hand on top (or inside) the paper bag it came in. There should be lashings of tomato sauce (I said sauce, not ketchup) spread over the top.

In your other hand there should be a can or a stubby of beer. On your head should be a beanie and around your neck should be a scarf of your favourite teams colours.

Needless to say you'll be at the rugby.

Soup doesn't quite fit the scene, although a dehydrated Maggi cup 'a soup is definitely an option at the rugby if the whether is really cold. Served in a paper cup of course.

I was actually already aware that a bowl of soup isn't really traditional to go with an Aussie pie. But we're in Jomtien here, not Melbourne, and just how many Aussies do you think live here? Enough to support what we all see as a high priced Aussie pie shop? The thing is it's a nice little kind of fancy venue. So you go in there for a meal, and it's just pie, or just pie and chips, or for big eaters, two pies. That doesn't make sense to me. If you're just selling pies for hand eating, open a freakin' street street stall or small shop house at most! I think that isn't exploiting that SPACE well enough. I think really good SOUPS would create a BRAND DISTINCTION for that place that could expand the demand much more than those looking for strictly traditional. It's a sincere suggestion that I think might put more asses in seats, as the Septics say.

Look, I think there's been some beating around the bush here. The obvious subtext of the complaints about their prices, is that there may not be a large enough LOCAL DEMAND for Aussie pies at those prices to make that place work business-wise. I'm saying, they would be smart to do more, offer more, to have a better chance. Lowering pie prices is probably not possible with a HIGH RENT.

Of course, with soups if they aren't at least very good, never mind the idea -- the product quality has to be there too. You can justify higher prices if you've got something others don't of decent enough quality.

Edited by Jingthing

One of Australia's most famous purveyors of pies, Harry's Cafe de Wheels in Sydney, is located outside the gate of the navy fleet base in Woolloomooloo.

Many a sailor has an early morning (3am) snack of pie and peas (pie floater) and a cup of blood (spicy tomato soup) after a night on the town.

So yes, I've had them together. But never sober.

That's good to hear but my idea is that there no law the soups have to be typical Australian soups either. But borscht may be taking it too far and so easy to get other places anyway.

Anyway, the way the place is currently set up, the menu seems really too limited for the SPACE. There is such a thing as too big a menu choice and that's a different kind of problem.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree, salads good as well.

For the soup idea they could test the demand by just doing one or two SOUPS OF THE WEEK and make that a interest point for their business. Like a sign in the window, picture of it on facebook, etc. Doing a large soup menu would be a lot of work. Maybe the one or two soups, if they're good, would accomplish the same thing -- offering people a more complete meal and a better reason to actually sit in there and SPEND. Could even do PROMOTION sets with the soup/pie combos. Of course if people sit down rather then take out pies, they'll buy a DRINK as well, even if only water.

Edited by Jingthing

I like it !

The concept of a place serving decent sized portions of a large variety of soups from around the globe sounds a great one, got have freshly baked bread selection also.

Will it go with the pies ?, maybe but it would be an option and the soups could be frozen so an easy prep time.

Thing is though the pies are small and expensive for what they are, so its fair to assume the soup portions would also be small and expensive.

The pies are snack sized, certainly not meal sized unless you get more than one.

Walked in, looked at them and walked out again as I would have needed 3 for a meal and for those prices I have a large variety of restaurants to choose from, not though serving Australian pies.

Could be that he has intentionally made them so small that people buy more than one and expects no one cares about the prices ?.

Strange the guy didn't open in not only a far smaller premises but also in Phuket as it gets far more Australian visitors than here.

Pastrami on Rye tested the market before moving to a larger premises for what is mainly a niche market for their products and pricing levels..

Personally I think one of their sized pies and a largish bowl of soup would make a good meal. One pie more like a large snack and certainly not any kind of balance. Yes if you're hungry, two pies, could be a meal but a weird unbalanced one.

Edited by Jingthing

Personally I think one of their sized pies and a largish bowl of soup would make a good meal. One pie more like a large snack and certainly not any kind of balance. Yes if you're hungry, two pies, could be a meal but a weird unbalanced one.

Pie on its own is the sort of thing I might buy in advance if going for a long drive in my car or on a bus as I wouldn't want to end up at those awful motorway service areas with their KFCs and McDonalds and 7/11s etc. I suppose in that case I might pay 150B for a tasty big pie.

In the UK there is a vibrant market for "designer" soups and these sell well both chilled (for home use) and hot (for take-away lunches). Not sure if they appeal to Aussies though.

In my building this new pie shop is quite a talking point among the Aussie residents, so maybe it will do well. The talking point amongst US residents in my building tends to be Pastrami on Rye, and I cant see the pies appealing greatly to them.

Enough about the soup! It's a pie shop. Deal with it. This is like an episode of Seinfeld...

I've eaten thousands of Aussie made meat pies in my life, since I mostly live here. It's a myth that they are all scrumptious! Some are but many are not. It depends on the quality and baking of the pastry as well as the contents inside. The great ones consist of quality beef with a rich and non runny gravy. There are variations of course, such as pepper steak, steak and mushroom, chicken etc. And then many pies are ruined because they spend all day in a "warmer", waiting to be sold or in a few places simply microwaved to heat them up, which invariably produces a soggy mess.

One thing counting against volume sales in Thailand is that pies are a great snack in the winter months. While sold all year round in Oz the volumes are much greater in the colder months. A pie at the footy or even a mug of soup is great on a wintry day at the footy.

I've never eaten a pie in Thailand and probably never will. I would be wondering as to the quality of the meat inside. Even the cheaper pies in Oz are viewed with suspicion, even with health regulations. I doubt those same regulations apply here. Anyway as the ladies say, up to you!

Enough about the soup! It's a pie shop. Deal with it. This is like an episode of Seinfeld...
That's a massive complement. Thank you so much.

Pie on its own is the sort of thing I might buy in advance if going for a long drive in my car or on a bus as I wouldn't want to end up at those awful motorway service areas with their KFCs and McDonalds and 7/11s etc. I suppose in that case I might pay 150B for a tasty big pie.

In the UK there is a vibrant market for "designer" soups and these sell well both chilled (for home use) and hot (for take-away lunches). Not sure if they appeal to Aussies though.

In my building this new pie shop is quite a talking point among the Aussie residents, so maybe it will do well. The talking point amongst US residents in my building tends to be Pastrami on Rye, and I cant see the pies appealing greatly to them.

These pies not warmed up would be disgusting.