New Aussie Pie Shop - Jomtien - Delishimo!

Gsxrnz

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that location has been a dud for several other food outlets. I'll have to give this newest venture a go

I don't even remember what it was before Sunrise Tacos. What was it?

Sunrise Tacos lasted for years and of course they developed the property a lot which likely created a higher cost location. Then there were some kind of obviously half arsed steak, coffee house, whatever thingies which you knew weren't serious plays. This is a more original idea anyway. It's a hard business.

I'm always amazed that people get so excited by something as mundane as a pie.

If I never ate a pie again in my life I doubt I'd miss it.... actually I know I wouldn't as I've not eaten one in years.

A good pie (or tart or quiche or pasty or sausage roll or vol-au-vent) can be a real culinary delight. And a failed one (flabby under-cooked pastry, uninteresting or unrecognisable filling) can be really nasty. Many places here do failed ones.

So a good one is something to get excited about. Those who, like me, have chosen to live in Jomtien probably dont have or want much more excitement in life than that anyway.

Personally I rather like the 50B French-style individual quiches from BigC but I could easily be tempted by a nice pie with, say, chicken and mushroom filling. And a particular highlight is my home-made pork pie with proper hot-water crust pastry. Lovely.

Its already been asked I know but I will try again. How much are these pies?

There was no menu visible when I looked in the place the other evening after closing time, and their Facebook page doesnt have any prices either though it does have some nice photos.

But given the location and décor I expect prices to be high.

As mentioned, that area (like The Avenue) has seen several failed businesses and I suspect that a combination of high rents and intrinsically down-market demographic does it for them. The general disappearance of the Russian trade probably wont help either.

On the plus side, they have no obvious nearby competition except the pie place in Rompho (if it still exists).

come on mr. mod he shouldnt be allowed to post about pies just before dinner.licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

Mate, I can tell you that I'm now suffering the consequences of letting my eyes be bigger than my belly. Four pies was probably two to many at one sitting.

I reckon I've taken one for the team, but by god it was worth it!! facepalm.gif

How much did they cost ? .

I paid 100B each, but the owner said his suppliers delivered tin foils that were the wrong size (too small) and normally the pies would be bigger. The regular price will be 120B.

Wonder if they can be frozen for later and reheated in oven/micro?

Almost certain you would be able to freeze them. I buy various pies from friendship ( Three different makes ) I freeze them and keep them up to six weeks. I then microwave them or heat them in the oven

that location has been a dud for several other food outlets. I'll have to give this newest venture a go

I don't even remember what it was before Sunrise Tacos. What was it?

Sunrise Tacos lasted for years and of course they developed the property a lot which likely created a higher cost location. Then there were some kind of obviously half arsed steak, coffee house, whatever thingies which you knew weren't serious plays. This is a more original idea anyway. It's a hard business.

For many years it was a bar of some sort. They had inverted clay flower pots stacked/strung on curved poles as their decor facing the sidewalk. Maybe was something briefly between then and Sunrise, but if so, I can't recall anything being there.

So what's the link for their Facebook page?

Will the pies always be sold fresh or out of freezer case?

What kind of fat is used to bake the pies (for example, lard, palm oil, butter, etc.)?

Will there be a Mexican salsa bar (to welcome back the old Sunrise customer case)? whistling.gif

Edited by Jingthing

I think I'd prefer a pimped out more healthy version of Aussie pies rather than authentic ones which sort of have a dog food tinge about them. I've had both kinds.

Huh? Healthy, like American Deli?

Not really.

My experience with delicious and healthier Aussie savory pies was at a shop in San Francisco that I assume is long closed. They were definitely different than U.K. pies, U.S. pies, and Aussie pies I've had both in Thailand and Australia. It was run by an Aussie and perhaps he had tailored the product to a health conscious San Francisco market. They were really gourmet level and you could taste that they were healthier (assuming it was about the ingredients used). No, not health food but relatively healthy, that's all. Once you've had something that good, the bar is probably too high to be happy with more typical offerings.

They seemed to range from 120 to 175 baht.

Tried some today, thought the mince beef was a bit plain, nothing tomato sauce couldn't fix. The chunky beef was better and chicken mornay didn't taste bad either.

Not the best pies I've ever had but would say they are the best I've found in Thailand.

Edited by rws85

They seemed to range from 120 to 175 baht.

Tried some today, thought the mince beef was a bit plain, nothing tomato sauce couldn't fix. The chunky beef was better and chicken mornay didn't taste bad either.

Not the best pies I've ever had but would say they are the best I've found in Thailand.

Does the chicken mornay look like this (vegetables and chicken and lots of creamy sauce so that it is not dry)?

post-110622-0-50759600-1451636359_thumb.

I do not like "pies" that are dry.

I just drove by the place. They are open right now. But there is so much traffic I did not (could not) stop.

Wasn't any vegetables in the chicken mornay but wasn't dry. Plenty of creamy sauce.

Thanks, I think I am starting to understand what these things are: meat inside a pie shell. I will definitely try the chicken mornay "pie." Hey everyone, feel free to post pictures of these things, especially what is inside them (doubt the owner would object to pictures of the food).