New Aussie Pie Shop - Jomtien - Delishimo!

Gsxrnz

Wasn't any vegetables in the chicken mornay but wasn't dry. Plenty of creamy sauce.

Thanks, I think I am starting to understand what these things are: meat inside a pie shell. I will definitely try the chicken mornay "pie." Hey everyone, feel free to post pictures of these things, especially what is inside them (doubt the owner would object to pictures of the food).

Let me correct a misprint: No doubt the owner would NOT object to pictures of the food.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've talked to various Aussies about pies over the years and one thing they do there that they also do in some other parts of the world ... pie and peas ... a pie float!

Do they do pie floats?

Yes

There is a very famous place for floaters called Harry's Cafe De Wheels in Woolloomooloo, Sydney - on a road which lead down from Kings Cross past the docks.

My father whose ship docked at Garden Island told me that is was a favorite late night haunt after a night on the town back in the early 40's

I'll look forward to trying this new place out - my last memory of an Auzzie pie was a Four and Twenty, coagulated slurry of gristle served so hot it burnt your tongue (which in-turn killed the Gravox flavor)

Aussies haven't offered much to the culinary food world

But we sure can do a damn good pie

what about a nice Pavlova whistling.gif

Pavlovas are a Kiwi inventionlaugh.png

The dessert is believed to have been created in honour of the dancer either during or after one of her tours to Australia and New Zealand in the 1920s

Kind of a Bledisloe cup issue of the "fush ern chup" Meringue lovers

Not much else happened in NZ until Harry Potter came along so there is a great deal at stake here - if you don't believe all the sheep tales!! :-)

The dancer was Anna Pavlova

Chef Bert Sachse created the "Pavlova" as we know it today when she stayed at the Esplanade Hotel in Western Australia in the 1929

The pub was one of the few places you could stay in Perth back in those days (the other was the Palace Hotel)

I can recall going there in the late 70's before it was demolished - a real 5 o'clock-swill joint by then !!

Buggered if I know why a Russian Prima Ballerina would be performing in Perth back then - it was and still is the end of the earth!!

Wasn't any vegetables in the chicken mornay but wasn't dry. Plenty of creamy sauce.

Thanks, I think I am starting to understand what these things are: meat inside a pie shell. I will definitely try the chicken mornay "pie." Hey everyone, feel free to post pictures of these things, especially what is inside them (doubt the owner would object to pictures of the food).

This is the saddest post I have read today. For someone with such a distinguished name as you ... not knowing the culinary joys of Down Under ...

I hope one day I can introduce you to paua patties, whitebait fritters and toheroa soup. But you have much to learn before then.

This is the saddest post I have read today. For someone with such a distinguished name as you ... not knowing the culinary joys of Down Under ...

I hope one day I can introduce you to paua patties, whitebait fritters and toheroa soup. But you have much to learn before then.

You actually speak Cherokee? Amazing. Anyway, I did Google the items on your list and the toheroa soup looks like something I would like; the other stuff, well, probably have to be Maori to appreciate it. I think I will try one of those chicken mornay pies tomorrow.

No, I don't speak Cherokee - but I've spent the past 10 hours trying to pronounce the name, so I figure it has to be distinguished. Either that, or I'm suffering from creeping dysalexysistamatosis.

If I knew how to make a hangi properly, I would set one up for you. Now that's real Maori.

120 Baht for a pie to me is expensive unless there is enough in one to feed two people. I think the guys rent must be on the high side to justify that price and judging by some feedback i have heard (apart from the OP who may or may not ..............) the pies are not that good but they are ok

120 Baht for a pie to me is expensive unless there is enough in one to feed two people. I think the guys rent must be on the high side to justify that price and judging by some feedback i have heard (apart from the OP who may or may not ..............) the pies are not that good but they are ok

Agreed, if you need 2-3 pies to fill up. It's not a good deal. I'm just saying.

Not to mention Bluff Oysters.

Agreed, if you need 2-3 pies to fill up. It's not a good deal. I'm just saying.

I think one Pie would be enough. I brought a few pies to try between me and two other people.

As a pie officianado from New Zealand who is known amongst his fellow touring motorcyclists as the guy that knows where the best pies and coffee can be obtained all over the country, from obscure one man band bakeries 50 klm up a back road in the middle of nowhere, to a commercial bakery in downtown Auckland, my official opinion (after consuming four different types of Tinnies pies), is that based on NZ standards, they wouldn't win any awards in the annual pie competition.

Follow the link if you want drool over some real Kiwi pies - my favourite is the Mairangi Bay Bacon 'n Egg - worth dying for and when I return from my trip in February I'll come back armed with a suitcase full of them! http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11484572

However, I believe Tinnies pies would win any pie competition in Thailand based on my research thus far. They are streets ahead of the crappy stuff you buy at Foodmart or anywhere else, and as for the Y pies that are on offer there or at their own shop - they're good for dog food if you don't like your dog very much.

The best meat pie I've tasted in S E Asia comes from 5klm up a go nowhere road in Laos.

They don't call me "The Pieman" for no reason. rolleyes.gif

Edit: I strongly recommend you read the NZ Herald link about the annual NZ Pie Competition and you'll see how seriously we Kiwi's take our pies. And as it's nearly lunchtime I'm off shortly to Tinnies for my daily calorie intake.

Yesterday I had one. of their mince pies - excellent pastry, blandish filling. Verdict: Acceptable, but .... no eat-on-the-trot mince pie is worth 150 baht ($6 NZ), especially when cooked in a foil tray from which it refuses to be separated (messy).

Now I'm eating a vegetable patty, which again has excellent pastry and blandish filling, but in this case I'm enjoying it. Still, those prices ....

Nice shop, good staff.

Find oz pies a bit to runny, are these the same ?

if not will give them a try next week .wai2.gif

The pies are not runny, and are based on the original pie concept that they should be able to be held in the hand and eaten without dripping gravy down the front of your Pierre Cardin suit.

The bloke confessed to originally coming from Tasmania, so maybe that's the difference. whistling.gif Aussies and Kiwis will know what that means, the rest of you will have to google it. clap2.gif

Find oz pies a bit to runny, are these the same ?

if not will give them a try next week .wai2.gif

Didn't think the mince pie was anywhere near as messy as you'd find in Aus. Can be messy if it stick the the tin cup it's cooked in.

Yesterday I had one. of their mince pies - excellent pastry, blandish filling. Verdict: Acceptable, but .... no eat-on-the-trot mince pie is worth 150 baht ($6 NZ), especially when cooked in a foil tray from which it refuses to be separated (messy).

Now I'm eating a vegetable patty, which again has excellent pastry and blandish filling, but in this case I'm enjoying it. Still, those prices ....

Nice shop, good staff.

You're right about the pastry - excellent. And to me that makes up for the filling that lacks a little something, although I think bland is too strong a word. Let's not forget he's using Thai beef, so the cards are stacked against him from the start.

I might ask him to get some prime Kiwi beef cuts and do a special batch of 20 beef pies for me. He seemed like a nice bloke so may be prepared to do that.

I had no trouble getting mine out of the tray - maybe just a batch variation.

Yeah, 150B is a bit high, but compared to the competition I rate them as much better value for money. I haven't tried the vege patty yet, I'll give it a go today.

Just had chicken mornay, my first Aussie Pie. Great! Excellent pastry/shell and perfectly cooked chicken with white sauce inside (not too thin or thick). They will eventually produce at least three other pies: 1) chicken pot pie (I suppose more American style w/ chicken and vegetables); 2) scallop pie; and 3) BBQ pork pie. You guys need to try this place as it is a good alternative to Thai food (but I think I also saw green chicken curry pie for Thais).

Here is what it looks like:

post-110622-0-51921800-1451713548_thumb.

post-110622-0-10435000-1451713557_thumb.

They're selling like hot cakes!

I would like to see them offer a quality western soup menu. A combo of one pie and a bowl of good soup would make a lovely dinner to eat in so they'd make more money. For examples lentil, navy bean, green split pea, beef and barley, chicken noodle, minestrone, new England clam chowder, etc. Could even do a soup of the week thing.

Not to mention Bluff Oysters.

LOL. Those were the days. Lived near Bluff as a boy (1960's) and we got a sack of them for a couple of dollars (or pounds - shillings)... and loaded up on toheroas at the local beach.

Just come out

I had a meat & potato pie, very poor.

The pie wasn't a pie but a pastry base and sides with a little minced beef and topped with mash potato.

I left half.

The other customers i spoke to were NOT complementary

It cost 135B (£ 2.70) that's expensive.

In the UK it would be at most £1.20.

On the whole high expectations but once again dissatisfied.

No worries I have friends bringing me a load of Hollands pies on the 20th.

Can't wait !!!!!

We are asking a lot of trust from the owner of this new place, how long are they kept warm for, food should only be kept at this temp for 4 hours then thrown away going by western standards

He will not have a massive turn over, what happens at the end of the day? I seriously hope they are not put in a chiller and reheated the next day to stand for hours agains

I am not saying he does, but if he is having to chuck a load at the end of the day profit will be low

Just come out

I had a meat & potato pie, very poor.

The pie wasn't a pie but a pastry base and sides with a little minced beef and topped with mash potato.

I left half.

The other customers i spoke to were NOT complementary

It cost 135B (£ 2.70) that's expensive.

In the UK it would be at most £1.20.

On the whole high expectations but once again dissatisfied.

No worries I have friends bringing me a load of Hollands pies on the 20th.

Can't wait !!!!!

Can't buy this kind of advert and wouldn't want to!

Archived