Lemmy Kilmister, Motörhead frontman dead at 70

webfact

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister, Motörhead frontman dead at 70

Rock icon had been battling an extremely aggressive cancer

LOS ANGELES: -- Lemmy Kilmister, founding member and frontman of Motörhead. has died. He was 70 years old.

News of his death was first reported by radio and TV host Eddie Trunk, who was a longtime friend of Lemmy. Several others have since confirmed the news, including Black Sabbath frontman Ozzy Osbourne, who wrote on Twitter, “Lost one of my best friends, Lemmy, today. He will be sadly missed. He was a warrior and a legend. I will see you on the other side.”

In a statement posted to Facebook, Motörhead wrote, “There is no easy way to say this… our mighty, noble friend Lemmy passed away today after a short battle with an extremely aggressive cancer. He had learnt of the disease on December 26th, and was at home, sitting in front of his favorite video game from the Rainbow which had recently made it’s way down the street, with his family.

Full story: http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/r-i-p-lemmy-kilmister-motorhead-frontman-dead-at-70/

-- CoS 2015-12-29

lk1.jpg

Source: Internet

Lemmy, Motorhead frontman, dies aged 70 after cancer diagnosis

(BBC)Motorhead frontman Lemmy has died aged 70 after being diagnosed with cancer, the British rock band has announced.

Lemmy was the only constant member of the group, who were formed in 1975 and recorded 22 albums, and was one of music's most recognisable figures.

He was born Ian Fraser Kilmister in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, in 1945.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35192060

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-12-29

Motörhead frontman Lemmy dies, 70, of cancer
By Euan McKirdy, CNN

(CNN)Legendary Motörhead frontman and bassist Lemmy has died of cancer, his bandmates have announced. He was 70.

Ian 'Lemmy' Kilmister, who was also a member and sometime vocalist of the band Hawkwind in the 1970s, found that he was suffering from "an extremely aggressive" form of cancer on December 26 -- the day after Christmas. He died at home with his family.

"We cannot begin to express our shock and sadness, there aren't words," a short statement on the band's official Facebook page read.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/28/entertainment/lemmy-motrhead-death/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2015-12-29

Motorhead frontman, hard-rock hero 'Lemmy' Kilmister dies
By CHRISTINE ARMARIO

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, the Motorhead frontman whose outsized persona made him a hero for generations of hard-rockers and metal-heads, has died.

Agent Andrew Goodfriend tells The Associated Press that Kilmister died on Monday in Los Angeles after a brief battle with aggressive cancer.

Known simply as "Lemmy" to most, he was as famous for his mustache, mutton chops and the mole on his face as his music.

But he was deeply respected and revered as a rock master and innovator, from his time with the seminal psychedelic band Hawkwind in the early 1970s to his four decades in Motorhead, best known for their 1980 anthem "Ace of Spades."

The band announced Kilmister's death on its Facebook page, describing him and "our mighty, noble friend" and urging fans to "...play Motörhead loud, play Hawkwind loud, play Lemmy's music LOUD. Have a drink or few. Share stories. Celebrate the LIFE this lovely, wonderful man celebrated so vibrantly himself. HE WOULD WANT EXACTLY THAT."

Each of the band's legendary live shows would begin with Kilmister's loud announcement: "We are Motorhead! We play rock and roll!"

Ozzy Osbourne called him "one of my best friends."

"He will be sadly missed," Osbourne wrote on Twitter late Monday. "He was a warrior and a legend. I will see you on the other side."

Kilmister also played bass guitar for Motorhead.
___

AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen contributed to this story.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-29

A great loss.

Saw him live (Hawkwind) in Wolverhampton 1971 / 2 several times but never had the opportunity to see Motorhead.

Fond memories, Silver Machine was the first song I learned on my Fender Bass back then.

On the positive side, he didn't spend months suffering Chemo and endless pain.

Respect to his family at this time.

R.I.P Lemmy: 24 December 1945 – 28 December 2015

R.I.P Phil (thy animal) Taylor: 21 September 1954 – 11 November 2015

Together with "Fast" Eddie Clarke the classic, though not original, and best line up.

First saw you at the Hammersmith Odeon on the Bomber tour in 1980.