Every Picture Tells a Story #1

webfact

Every Picture Tells a Story #1

blog-1.jpg

Welcome to “Every Picture Tells a Story”; a weekly post about living in Thailand. Each week we’ll post a picture that illustrates some of the little things those of us fortunate enough to live here hold dear.

Holiday Helpers

Just like in my home country, many important Thai holidays fall late in the calendar year. Starting with the vegetarian festival in October, Loy Khratong in November and of course, the King’s birthday in December.

Living so far away from home, many expatriates have severe bouts with melancholy and depression this time of year. We miss our families and friends. We long for grandma’s home cooking. We wouldn’t mind some weather that featured a daily temperature under 25 degrees.

We are very fortunate to have the Thai people as our hosts. They try their best to understand our holidays and accommodate us by imitating rituals that must seem bizarre, even to Thai people.

Perhaps the most entertaining foreign holiday celebrated with gusto in Thailand is Halloween. This year I attended a Halloween party at my local pub. The bar was expertly decorated with ghosts, witches and jack-o-lanterns.

Costumes fell into three categories: zombies … vampire zombies … vampire zombies with light-up horns. The light-up horns seem to be popular on all foreign holidays, including Christmas. When I asked the bartender what she was dressed as she replied, “I don’t know … but scary”.

In recent years I’ve made a serious attempt to understand and participate in Thai holidays. My favorite is Loy Khratong that falls on the full moon in November. Last year I was lucky enough to celebrate the New Year/Thanksgiving-type celebration in Chiang Mai.

Thousands of Thais and foreigners gathered at the banks of the Ping River to launch the small hand-made boats decorated with flowers and candles. Those of us more landlocked in the old city used the alternate khratong called a “com-fi”; a big paper lantern that when lit lifts with hot air and carries light to the heavens. The site of thousands of com-fis racing towards the full moon is a spiritual experience.

In front of my hotel, a young French family was trying desperately to get their com-fi off the ground. No matter how hard they tried, it just wouldn’t stay lit or rise fast enough. Fortunately for them, some of Chiang Mai’s ever-so-polite policemen came to the rescue and gave them some expert instruction, creating a holiday memory I’m sure the family will never forget.

As I snapped the picture I thought to myself, “Thailand at its best”.

Orlando Barton

Source: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/every-picture-tells-story-1/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-01-05

It is a nice picture. But one could be critical.

Hope Orlando realizes that through his picture he has shown a police officer helping foreigners commit an illegal act as these have been banned.

If one was really critical, attention should be on the unsupervised little girl in the snap who could easily duck under the float and set fire to her head. Only takes a second or two.

Not trying to be a killjoy, but there you go..............................sad.png

Pictures can tell different stories.

Edited by chrisinth

Hope Orlando realizes that through his picture he has shown a police officer helping foreigners commit an illegal act as these have been banned.

If one was really critical, attention should be on the unsupervised little girl in the snap who could easily duck under the float and set fire to her head. Only takes a second or two.

Not trying to be a killjoy, but there you go..............................sad.png

Ha ha

Wow you must be the life of the party with perspective like that.

Ha ha

Sorry, but your point of being banned is not correct. One would assume this is on Loy Kratong in Chiang Mai on November 25. The child is also being supervised by two parents and a police officer holding the lantern who can easily move quickly away from the child if any indication of her getting to close. What more can you reasonably expect?

"Chiang Mai authorities yesterday issued an announcement banning the floating of sky lanterns in five districts during the traditional Yi Peng festival starting November 24, with the exception of November 25, and December 31."

Personally, I'm decidedly underwhelmed by the schmaltzy nature of this piece and can only hope that the author is relieved of his/her duties or is able to come up with something more perspicacious for No. 2.

Edited by piersbeckett

Ha ha

Sorry, but your point of being banned is not correct. One would assume this is on Loy Kratong in Chiang Mai on November 25. The child is also being supervised by two parents and a police officer holding the lantern who can easily move quickly away from the child if any indication of her getting to close. What more can you reasonably expect?

"Chiang Mai authorities yesterday issued an announcement banning the floating of sky lanterns in five districts during the traditional Yi Peng festival starting November 24, with the exception of November 25, and December 31."

What makes you think it was Loy Kratong? We had hundreds launched where i am during Christmas through New Year, and the majority came from CM (at least the ones we had).

Oops....................rolleyes.gif

And unless the policeman has exceptional vision, I don't think he can see the child through the lantern if you look at the phot again.

To be clear, I'm not critical at all per se, just saying things can be viewed, or appraised differently.........................wink.png

tongue.png

Ok, somebody living in CM tell us the truth - are the BIB up there any better than the rest of the country?

This guy describes them as ever-so-polite. Is he dreaming or not?

He probably met the only one that there is.

Personally, I'm decidedly underwhelmed by the schmaltzy nature of this piece and can only hope that the author is relieved of his/her duties or is able to come up with something more perspicacious for No. 2.

Agreed, I think.

Not exactly sure what schmaltzy means or perspicacious. But this article made me cringe a bit. I thought after reading the title that the photo might have been something a bit more edgy or with a surprise ending or something like that. It's just a bloke helping a little kid and her family, like most people would normally do. Doesn't really make any difference he's a cop, they are just people too.

Still, nice idea for a thread, as I like photographs and the occasional interesting stories behind them. Maybe, as an idea the articles could be a little less for newbies to Thailand or potential tourists (as this one read to me) and could be something a little more personal to the people pictured. A bit like they have on Thai TV at the end of the news where they have a story on say a little kid looking after his 150 year old blind Grandad on less than 50 baht a week. That sort of thing. Just a thought, don't flame me please. As I'm not flaming you OP.

Ha ha

What makes you think it was Loy Kratong? We had hundreds launched where i am during Christmas through New Year, and the majority came from CM (at least the ones we had).

Oops....................rolleyes.gif

And unless the policeman has exceptional vision, I don't think he can see the child through the lantern if you look at the phot again.

To be clear, I'm not critical at all per se, just saying things can be viewed, or appraised differently.........................wink.png

Rather than debate, I'll agree with your last sentence. I just like my appraisal better than yours. :)

picture he has shown a police officer helping foreigners commit an illegal act as these have been banned.

Thanks for the laugh...when I think of Thai police...I think of what kind of shakedown are they into now?

'Tis the season for sourpusses........

You would be the 1st to be critical if it happened.Shit happens quite a lot in Thailand.