• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Russian man charged for fatal big bike slam into Chinese tourist

webfact

Russian man charged for fatal big bike slam into Chinese tourist
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1451964242_1-org.jpg
Chalong Police say the Russian tourist, named as Robert Ness, 25, has denied the charge of reckless driving causing death. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- According to police, a 25-year-old Russian tourist has been charged for reckless driving causing death after the big bike he was riding slammed into and killed a Chinese tourist crossing a road in Chalong.

Lt Chanut Hongsittichaikul of the Chalong Police told The Phuket News that the Russian tourist, who he named as “Robert Ness”, 25, has so far denied the charge, for which he is out on B200,000 bail.

The accident occurred near the Chalong Miracle Lakeview housing estate on Chao Fa West Rd at about 7pm on December 30, said Lt Chanut.

“Mr Jielin Deng, 62, from China, was trying to cross the four-lane road after his family had already crossed it to the other side. He made it across the first two lanes and started to cross the other two when he was hit by the big bike,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-man-charged-for-fatal-big-bike-slam-into-chinese-tourist-55678.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-05

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pedestrian crossings here are a joke. No lights and a total lack of respect for pedestrians by motorists.

I agree but really nothing to do with this story. Hard to say who was at fault although my feeling is Russian on a big bike was speeding.

Pedestrian crossings here are a joke. No lights and a total lack of respect for pedestrians by motorists.

I agree but really nothing to do with this story. Hard to say who was at fault although my feeling is Russian on a big bike was speeding.

its a 4 lane road, if he was speeding he'd still be seen by the chinese if he wasnt walking with his eyes up the sky or on a phone screen.

its a 4 lane road, if he was speeding he'd still be seen by the chinese if he wasnt walking with his eyes up the sky or on a phone screen.

And the motorbike rider would have seen the man crossing.

Doesn't seem to be a ped crossing anywhere. Even with a major housing complex right there. Hard to miss somebody crossing the street. Unless you were going over the speed limit. Which I think is 50km there? Does anybody know?

7pm: dark? LOS blocked by other vehicles? Who knows? Not us.

Doesn't seem to be a ped crossing anywhere. Even with a major housing complex right there. Hard to miss somebody crossing the street. Unless you were going over the speed limit. Which I think is 50km there? Does anybody know?

7pm: dark? LOS blocked by other vehicles? Who knows? Not us.

Yes, did not think of that before, but darkness could have been a factor.

'Who was at fault'???? In the UK, among other civilised countries, the PEDESTRIAN comes first! Never mind the DELETED get out clause 'jaywalking'. You are a 'soft machine'. Other road users, whether it be bike or car, should ALWAYS be looking out for YOU blink.png

Would he have been charged if Thai ?

And have you ever watched Chinese pedestrians crossing Phuket's streets ? You behave like suicide candidates. Even Mia ( an extremely careful driver ) goes nuts with the Chin on the roads bah.gif

'Who was at fault'???? In the UK, among other civilised countries, the PEDESTRIAN comes first! Never mind the idiot US get out clause 'jaywalking'. You are a 'soft machine'. Other road users, whether it be bike or car, should ALWAYS be looking out for YOU blink.png

No, it is not as simple as that, also not in the UK.

Accidents on bikes aren't always what they seem. About 50 years ago i took my bike driving test, then you had to continually drive

around the block which had a zebra crossing and traffic lights etc. the examiner would walk around the block observing you at different locations.

It was raining slightly and i was continually looking out for the examiner when i came up to the crossing,two old ladies were already in the middle

i braked, skidded and bumped gently into one old lady who didn't even fall,that is until i reached out in panic to stop her in case she fell and in so doing punched her in the eye, then she did fall over, I didn't pass my test.

as shown in a previous thread, a member of this forum and a lot of others agreed that even from 200m he couldnt stop his pushbike going 35-40kph when a car started crossing. How is a motorbike going 60-80kph on a 4 lane road suposed to break in time for a wandering chinese that had 60 meters wide of road to avoid the bike. Only way this can be the bike's fault is if the chinese man was standing still in the traffic or the yellow lines

as shown in a previous thread, a member of this forum and a lot of others agreed that even from 200m he couldnt stop his pushbike going 35-40kph when a car started crossing. How is a motorbike going 60-80kph on a 4 lane road suposed to break in time for a wandering chinese that had 60 meters wide of road to avoid the bike. Only way this can be the bike's fault is if the chinese man was standing still in the traffic or the yellow lines

If somebody can not stop a pushbike, or any vehicle for that matter, doing 35-40 within 200 meters he should not be on the road.

Many possibilities for what happened in this case to the Chinese man, but that will all be speculation.

'Who was at fault'???? In the UK, among other civilised countries, the PEDESTRIAN comes first! Never mind the DELETED get out clause 'jaywalking'. You are a 'soft machine'. Other road users, whether it be bike or car, should ALWAYS be looking out for YOU blink.png

A news article concerning the death of a Chinese man being hit by a Russian in Thailand and you still managed to bash DELETED. blink.png

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

The pedestrian crossed when it was unsafe to do so. I don't care how fast the bike was going.

The sidewalk (if there is one) is for the pedestrian the road is for motor vehicles. The pedestrian

has to judge if it is safe to cross and cross in that timeframe. I always chuckle when Europeans

rush to establish there position in front of the car, and then stop hurrying and start walking.

Not so smart here in Thailand. The driver may not see you, they may be drunk, they may be

going to fast to stop. Even if you have the right of way like in Europe, don't die defending

your right of way. blink.png

Hey, city installed cross walk with lights near my condo on Second Road Jomtien. Has functioned perhaps one week in last year. However, the yellow blinking light still blinks.... perhaps it is like fishing lure for tourists or "Just for Gags"?

Hey, city installed cross walk with lights near my condo on Second Road Jomtien. Has functioned perhaps one week in last year. However, the yellow blinking light still blinks.... perhaps it is like fishing lure for tourists or "Just for Gags"?

Can't think of any cross walk light here in Phuket Island ... not even one

Can't think of any cross walk light here in Phuket Island ... not even one

There's one between the 2 banks in phuket town, going towards the circle. BKK road?

Tourists come to Thailand with no idea of the road systems and ways of driving, probably in their own countries the biggest bikes they have rode is a bicycle of a 50cc moped then hire these big motorbikes trying to be the big Farlangs, aiming the things rather then able to control them. I have seen Farlang tourists in Chiang Mai on the hired big bikes barely being able to keep their balance zooming down the roads like bats out of hell. It`s no wonder they are involved in so many accidents.

In the US the bailmoney actually put in holdings is %10 of the bail with bond for the rest.How does it work here now ? Did they keep his pass port I wonder or is the 200,000 baht DELETED ?

Edited by seedy
discuss criminal undertaking

Accidents on bikes aren't always what they seem. About 50 years ago i took my bike driving test, then you had to continually drive

around the block which had a zebra crossing and traffic lights etc. the examiner would walk around the block observing you at different locations.

It was raining slightly and i was continually looking out for the examiner when i came up to the crossing,two old ladies were already in the middle

i braked, skidded and bumped gently into one old lady who didn't even fall,that is until i reached out in panic to stop her in case she fell and in so doing punched her in the eye, then she did fall over, I didn't pass my test.

Were you surprised??