Preparing to retire in Thailand

autanic

Nobody can tell you if it's the right thing for you however a non o visa is 90 days that will give you a good insight then you can get a retirement extension as long as you have all requirements again a simple process cost negligible. This will give you a year to look see properly. Health well who knows what's going to happen writing this in hospital unexpected hernia problem. There are insurances you can get BUPA ect but read the small print pre existing not covered obviously.But price for op for me didn't break the bank. As for living here I personaly love it plenty to do for me during day (have land and growing veg ect ect. It's not for everyone agreed but you have got nothing to lose in the end.

Now over to the gloom and doom merchants on here. Good luck

An hernia.. "unexpected"? .. but predictable and preventable by knowledge.. the way you lifted stuffs when gardening might have been the cause of that hernia.. I teach yoga, i'm kind of an "expert" on that matter. I saved many people with my panel of exercices. I come to Thailand in April, if u need any advice just contact me.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem I've seen with retired "westerners" here is the boredom factor. You need something to occupy your time (and brain) and have enough self control to avoid spending all day, every day, sitting in a bar. For a lot of people, that is (seemingly) their only social outlet and they end up sitting and drinking all day, every day.

Now is an ideal time to take up a hobby, maybe something you've longed to do but never had the time (or inclination) to get around to before. Friend of mine went to an Expat club meeting and ended up signing up for an beginners golf course. Now he loves it. Doesn't do it everyday but enough to keep him active and not going stir crazy sitting in his apartment all the time.

It helps to have a variety of interests as well as sometimes you need a break. Music, sailing, fishing, painting, all can be done fairly easily. (For sailing, they have those wee little boats, I forget the class but they look about the size of a rowboat, that would be ideal for starters.) The great thing is, there is no rush ! Take your time, try a few things, find stuff you like to do and then enjoy !

As for accommodations, well, that is a personal choice obviously. You could start out renting a house/apartment, or maybe buy a condo. I prefer to buy myself as I hope to at least get my money back some time down the road when (if) I sell the place. If I'd put the money I spent on renting apartments/houses over the last 11 years into buying a place I would probably have paid it off by now and then, even if I had to sell it at a discount, I'd still be ahead of the game. Plenty of options whatever you decide (and whatever your budget is).

One thing to keep in mind is your finances of course. Partially due to the requirements of whatever Visa/Extension you'll be on. If you can afford it, I'd recommend put the money needed to meet your requirement into a fixed term account and leaving it. The interest rates aren't great but unless you are a financial guru and can play the markets and such, you're probably not going to get that much better anywhere else and would have to spend a lot more time and effort doing it. I keep the 800k I need in a Fixed Term Account and the interest gets deposited into my savings account. As long as I remember to renew the term a little over 3 months prior to the date I need to renew my Extension, I'm golden. One advantage with that is if for some reason I ever needed a large amount of cash in a hurry, it is available (and the interest I'd forfeit won't make me lose any sleep).

Health insurance should be considered as well. Like many places, once you hit 65 it's hard to get anyone to insure you, but if you have a policy already, they (as far as I know) will continue it past that age. There are enough hazards here on a day-to-day basis that health insurance is probably a good idea. Having money in the bank is one thing, but doesn't do a lot of good if you are unconscious and can't access it, whereas having a BUPA (or other insurance) card in you wallet could mean the difference between waking up in a government hospital or a nicer one like Bangkok-Pattaya hospital.

A rule of thumb to live by here (and I mean "live") - never be worth more dead than you are alive ! In other words, if you are financially stable and have nice Life Insurance policies and such, don't be lording it over everyone. Don't be "flashing the bling" and bragging about how many zeros there are in your bank balance or you may find yourself waking up in the morgue much sooner than you'd hoped.

Also, if you are perhaps thinking of opening some kind of business (as a hobby or for income), in addition to following all the rules regarding foreigners and businesses (and working) remember one thing. If you want to make a small fortune in Thailand, start with a large one. (Then hopefully by the time you realize just how screwed you are, you may be able to escape before losing everything !)

Oh yeah, and just because someone is a fellow "expat" and maybe even from your home country, don't think, for a single microsecond, that he/she/they have your best interests at heart. There are plenty of foreigners that prey on fellow expats because they know they are more likely to be a "soft touch". A lot of expats get lonely for the sound of a familiar voice and are prone to letting their guard down because they don't think a fellow (insert nationality here) would ever screw them over in a foreign country ! Not all are like that of course, but you only need to get burned once to ruin the rest of your life.

If you wouldn't do it back home, don't do it here ! Whether it's lend money to a complete stranger (or trust them with anything valuable) or engaging in some dicey activity, use your head and think twice.

If it's something you would do back home, check to make sure it's allowed here first. Thailand (and other S.E.A./M.E. countries) really frown on drug use, even "recreational" drugs. People often whine that "back home" they would barely get a warning for something that could land you in prison for years if you did it here. Thailand is NOT your home country and, contrary to the way many expats here seem to believe, the locals do not see you as some royal figure worthy of worshipping because of your skin colour and (perceived) wealth.

Thailand can be a great place to live. It can also be hell on earth. Mostly it comes down to how well you use your brain. Too many people leave theirs in the waste bin at the airport when they arrive then wonder why they can't seem to function here. Others come with the "colonial attitude" and can't seem to understand why the Thais aren't grovelling at their feet and changing their ways (and language) to suit the expats (even as the expats themselves are counting their pennies to see if they can afford a small glass of warm beer today or if they have to wait until their next pension cheque arrives).

Adapt to the environment you are in, don't expect the environment to adapt to you.

Minor point - ThaiVisa is an excellent source of expertise on pretty much everything to do with living here. It's hard to imagine a question that hasn't already been asked (and answered) dozens of times (thousands of times when it comes to things like "overstay" and visas). The search function is a great way to see if a question has been asked already, but for some things the answers could be "dated" (very old).

(We actually had a thread running years ago where the question was asked if every possible question had already been asked.)

TV members can also be very helpful, and very opinionated and tend not to suffer fools very well. If you ask a stupid question, expect stupid answers, but rest easy in the knowledge that even the stupid answers will be moderated.

(Oh and either live in a ground floor dwelling or install safety netting on the balcony if you are living in a high-rise condo.)

Buying vs renting ....a lot of topics discussing. One thing you don't understand is that if you buy a house you are 50/50 owner with your wife (divorce laws in Thailand)....and why wouldn't you want to take care of your wife anyway. I Bought a house in Bangkok 12 years ago for 3.5 million baht ....NO taxes, Insurance, legals ....as you put it. Very little maintenance other than regular upkeep.

The rent I would have paid HAS paid the house off and Then some (30,000 baht/month for 12 years = 4,320,000 Baht)....plus the appreciation of the house which I still OWN. if I rented I would have NOTHING.

Not saying buying a house is the right idea for everybody ....BUT it was for me!

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

Yes much the same story for me up in Issan.....way ahead by buying....... I find this Don't ever buy mantra a little silly, you might as well say it in the country you come from also. I have had 3 friends divorce here & all get their share of the property.....& I certainly didn't get 50% when I got divorced in Oz....all sorts of laws there stopping you getting 50%

Sure don't dive head first into anything---rent while you decide if this place is for you, I rented for 7 years in Pattaya (wish I had brought something at the 16 year ago prices there---but I was into taking notice of my fellow bar stall friends --most who didn't have the means to buy anyway---all saying, never buy always rent...) so you can walk away, there still living there by the way 16 years latter ----& renting.....................coffee1.gif

congratulations to the OP a brilliant post I think its the first time I have read so many sensible and informative

replies. Renting in my opinion is lost money. but if you can not afford to buy then what do you do.

Nobody can tell you if it's the right thing for you however a non o visa is 90 days that will give you a good insight then you can get a retirement extension as long as you have all requirements again a simple process cost negligible. This will give you a year to look see properly. Health well who knows what's going to happen writing this in hospital unexpected hernia problem. There are insurances you can get BUPA ect but read the small print pre existing not covered obviously.But price for op for me didn't break the bank. As for living here I personaly love it plenty to do for me during day (have land and growing veg ect ect. It's not for everyone agreed but you have got nothing to lose in the end.

Now over to the gloom and doom merchants on here. Good luck

An hernia.. "unexpected"? .. but predictable and preventable by knowledge.. the way you lifted stuffs when gardening might have been the cause of that hernia.. I teach yoga, i'm kind of an "expert" on that matter. I saved many people with my panel of exercices. I come to Thailand in April, if u need any advice just contact me.
Yes total unexpected was in the gym four months ago felt a tweak in groin area thought nothing of it. Some 3 weeks later getting of Bart bus in pattaya felt it go again. To busy to get it sorted then but as everything is done now ie house built decided to get it done. Doing nothing diffrent in gym on treadmill just one of those things thanks for offer

Not buying property is an obvious one.

Get used to impermanence. Buying property is just an emotional crouch here and carries no financial benefits worth mentioning. No real need to and with great risks. You'll be just as happy in a rented place.

As you get older many like to solidify things with objects, property and relationships. Its part of fear of getting older and dying and does not have the safety net and protections for foreigners here like they would have as citizens in their home country.

Dont know if its intentional, but It's also a built in way of keeping more money in from foreigners then is going out. Keep your options open like you did when you were younger,

Sorry don't agree at all

I don't agree either.. I've built a house.. and while the process was a challenge in many ways I am glad I did it.. from the start I made the decision that the place is for my gf.. if everything goes pear shaped I can walk away with no regrets.. no dark clouds on the horizon.. we are in our 9th year now.... I enjoy the garden.. I enjoy making things (woodwork mainly).. and I enjoy having a place that is my own.. no rent.. and I can do what I want with the place.

Before committing to a place travel around and find a place you think you like.. rent for awhile .. meet the locals.. shop at the markets and decide if you want to stay or move on.. 'cha cah'.. slowly slowly.. Good luck.. have fun..

Been here for the most part of 21 years. A lot of good advice mentioned here that you should follow; don't burn bridges back home, rent for awhile before buying, learn to Speak Thai, don't spend your life in a bar, find a hobby, be careful with the girls but have fun, don't fall in love too quickly, don't invest what you can't afford to loose, best to walk away from a fight with a Thai and loose a little pride even if you can kick his butt.....etc etc

You will go through phases while living here. First you are all excited and love the place, then you start to experience some problems and find out that things can not be resolved the way they were back home and you get upset and start to rethink the hole move. Then after many crazy things happen you hopefully can put aside your anger and start to accept things the way they are, not like but accept what you can't change. If you get to this stage you are now ready to call Thailand your home.

Good luck and Enjoy !

The biggest problem I've seen with retired "westerners" here is the boredom factor. You need something to occupy your time (and brain) and have enough self control to avoid spending all day, every day, sitting in a bar. For a lot of people, that is (seemingly) their only social outlet and they end up sitting and drinking all day, every day.

Now is an ideal time to take up a hobby, maybe something you've longed to do but never had the time (or inclination) to get around to before. Friend of mine went to an Expat club meeting and ended up signing up for an beginners golf course. Now he loves it. Doesn't do it everyday but enough to keep him active and not going stir crazy sitting in his apartment all the time.

It helps to have a variety of interests as well as sometimes you need a break. Music, sailing, fishing, painting, all can be done fairly easily. (For sailing, they have those wee little boats, I forget the class but they look about the size of a rowboat, that would be ideal for starters.) The great thing is, there is no rush ! Take your time, try a few things, find stuff you like to do and then enjoy !

As for accommodations, well, that is a personal choice obviously. You could start out renting a house/apartment, or maybe buy a condo. I prefer to buy myself as I hope to at least get my money back some time down the road when (if) I sell the place. If I'd put the money I spent on renting apartments/houses over the last 11 years into buying a place I would probably have paid it off by now and then, even if I had to sell it at a discount, I'd still be ahead of the game. Plenty of options whatever you decide (and whatever your budget is).

One thing to keep in mind is your finances of course. Partially due to the requirements of whatever Visa/Extension you'll be on. If you can afford it, I'd recommend put the money needed to meet your requirement into a fixed term account and leaving it. The interest rates aren't great but unless you are a financial guru and can play the markets and such, you're probably not going to get that much better anywhere else and would have to spend a lot more time and effort doing it. I keep the 800k I need in a Fixed Term Account and the interest gets deposited into my savings account. As long as I remember to renew the term a little over 3 months prior to the date I need to renew my Extension, I'm golden. One advantage with that is if for some reason I ever needed a large amount of cash in a hurry, it is available (and the interest I'd forfeit won't make me lose any sleep).

Health insurance should be considered as well. Like many places, once you hit 65 it's hard to get anyone to insure you, but if you have a policy already, they (as far as I know) will continue it past that age. There are enough hazards here on a day-to-day basis that health insurance is probably a good idea. Having money in the bank is one thing, but doesn't do a lot of good if you are unconscious and can't access it, whereas having a BUPA (or other insurance) card in you wallet could mean the difference between waking up in a government hospital or a nicer one like Bangkok-Pattaya hospital.

A rule of thumb to live by here (and I mean "live") - never be worth more dead than you are alive ! In other words, if you are financially stable and have nice Life Insurance policies and such, don't be lording it over everyone. Don't be "flashing the bling" and bragging about how many zeros there are in your bank balance or you may find yourself waking up in the morgue much sooner than you'd hoped.

Also, if you are perhaps thinking of opening some kind of business (as a hobby or for income), in addition to following all the rules regarding foreigners and businesses (and working) remember one thing. If you want to make a small fortune in Thailand, start with a large one. (Then hopefully by the time you realize just how screwed you are, you may be able to escape before losing everything !)

Oh yeah, and just because someone is a fellow "expat" and maybe even from your home country, don't think, for a single microsecond, that he/she/they have your best interests at heart. There are plenty of foreigners that prey on fellow expats because they know they are more likely to be a "soft touch". A lot of expats get lonely for the sound of a familiar voice and are prone to letting their guard down because they don't think a fellow (insert nationality here) would ever screw them over in a foreign country ! Not all are like that of course, but you only need to get burned once to ruin the rest of your life.

If you wouldn't do it back home, don't do it here ! Whether it's lend money to a complete stranger (or trust them with anything valuable) or engaging in some dicey activity, use your head and think twice.

If it's something you would do back home, check to make sure it's allowed here first. Thailand (and other S.E.A./M.E. countries) really frown on drug use, even "recreational" drugs. People often whine that "back home" they would barely get a warning for something that could land you in prison for years if you did it here. Thailand is NOT your home country and, contrary to the way many expats here seem to believe, the locals do not see you as some royal figure worthy of worshipping because of your skin colour and (perceived) wealth.

Thailand can be a great place to live. It can also be hell on earth. Mostly it comes down to how well you use your brain. Too many people leave theirs in the waste bin at the airport when they arrive then wonder why they can't seem to function here. Others come with the "colonial attitude" and can't seem to understand why the Thais aren't grovelling at their feet and changing their ways (and language) to suit the expats (even as the expats themselves are counting their pennies to see if they can afford a small glass of warm beer today or if they have to wait until their next pension cheque arrives).

Adapt to the environment you are in, don't expect the environment to adapt to you.

Minor point - ThaiVisa is an excellent source of expertise on pretty much everything to do with living here. It's hard to imagine a question that hasn't already been asked (and answered) dozens of times (thousands of times when it comes to things like "overstay" and visas). The search function is a great way to see if a question has been asked already, but for some things the answers could be "dated" (very old).

(We actually had a thread running years ago where the question was asked if every possible question had already been asked.)

TV members can also be very helpful, and very opinionated and tend not to suffer fools very well. If you ask a stupid question, expect stupid answers, but rest easy in the knowledge that even the stupid answers will be moderated.

(Oh and either live in a ground floor dwelling or install safety netting on the balcony if you are living in a high-rise condo.)

Excellent post As a recent retiree to Thailand ( Bangkok) I might add that I have found it wonderful to be away from the tourist ghettos. Our apartment complex is close to Silom on the river and is largely Thai with a few farangs here. My wife is Thai and I get by with the occasional stumble but I have been overwhelmed by the kindness of some of our fellow residents who have made our transition here so much easier. Here it is a different world - No trouble with taxis, thieves but close to department stores and supermarkets you must make an effort to learn Thai or at least learn the basic civilities like thank you and excuse me.

I would also like to expand on the idea that you must develop interests We kept up our interest in bridge here and play regularly and we also joined the National Museum group which is an excellent way of learning about Thai history and culture as well as meeting more expats

Edited by mydee

Due to a few near death experiences through illness (now recovered from) I quickly realized that life is a very short journey and every day above ground is a very special day indeed. I now take every day as it comes, I plan ahead but understand events may turn out very different. It matters little....life is a wonderous adventure and not knowing what the future holds is the greatest adventure of all.

Advice to OP:

1/ Rent, don't buy. It's easy to buy property in Thailand, and horrendously difficult to sell. Renting is very cheap here.

2/ Learn Thai. You don't have to be fluent; however, it is much better here if you can at least communicate.

3/ Keep most of your assets in your home country, and only transfer here what you need to live on.

4/ Research where you want to live. I live in Chiang Mai. Others don't like it. Pick what appeals to you.

5/ Consider your health. While the health system here is reasonably good, if you have health issues it can be quite expensive here.

6/ Take your time with the Thai ladies. Yes, they can be very seductive. However, if you feel the need for company you must establish trust both ways.

7/ Get used to Thainess. Thais think differently and not necessarily logically.

8/ If you acquire any vehicle here, learn to drive defensively. It's the only way to survive.

9/ Try to enjoy spicy food. It's better for you in terms of food absorption, and also killing any bacteria or parasites. If you have a weight problem, a diet of 90% Thai cuisine will reduce it.

10/ Buslnesses run by falangs to cater for the needs of other falangs don't necessarily have your best interests at heart. Be careful.

11. You really have to be a complete idiot to get yourself into trouble with the police in Thailand. However, there are some who volunteer for the position.

12. Banking here is very secure if you stick to a savings passbook. Only use ATM's outside banks. Thailand is a cash economy, so carry enough cash with you for day-to-day expenses. A lot of card fraud here.

Good luck.

biggrin.png

Do not sell everything you own and come to Thailand...keep some funds at home...

Do not burn bridges with your family and friends...they still care for you...

Thailand is not for everyone...many can attest to this...

You may wish to cross back over that bridge and return to family and friends one day...

Above all...do not throw all your hard earned income into a relationship with a woman half your age...without first giving the relationship time to mature and gain reasonable confidence you will not be abandoned one day in your time of need...

Good Luck!

How many years have you spent in Thailand total? Why Thailand? Visiting and living in a place are two different things.... You cannot own a home, you cannot own land.

Do you speak Thai? May I suggest that you go to a Thai School, regardless of your age, could save you thousands of dollars.

Your questions are directed at whom???

The poster, preparing to move to Thailand. Who else would it be directed to.?

Bought several houses over the years but never thought I'm ready to die !!!!

Here have took great delight and a lot of pride in building a house which we now live in no rent to pay as my old man once told me rent money is wasted money.

Rent is only wasted money if you are a young man. Over 50, rent is not wasted money compared to building or buying in Thailand.
Ok so let's do the maths then 50 yr old average life conservative 85 so 35 yrs rent our condo in pattaya 7500pm so that's 90,000 per year x 35 yrs 3,150,000.

2 bed two bath house including fixtures and fittings just a few bht short of 500,000bht so at 85 I'm 2,650,000 in pocket so how is renting better?? Stable home no moving around rented to rented. Now before you say but I can't own it or land I have a 50 year lease on land from wife (hers as wedding gift from family. I have yellow book which means nothing as such but if things happen and we divorce ect although I wouldn't I can demand half or sell house to recover. But house is for my family here and now when I'm gone they have stability.

500,000 baht for a 2 bed , 2 bath house. Is that for real?

My plan is to do the UK winter in Thailand (say four months) and the UK summer in the UK/Europe. Live with Thai relatives and friends in Thailand and keep my house in the UK.

Keep my car in the UK, rent a car in Thailand.

The best of both world's. And when Thailand goes completely bonkers, when a certain person dies, and xenophobia takes over completely I will just need a suitcase and an air ticket.

I can mention many things, good and bad about retiring here. But one, in my opinion, it is MANDATORY.....

If you are not willing to learn the language...better retire where you can communicate better...or in your own.

don't agree at all so far. the things i need almost always have someone around who speaks english or who's willing to work around it.

why? because they need the money for the services or products i'm interested in.

just speaking from a necessity standpoint and no socializing etc. i'm not likely to get out far enough in the country to have to speak thai. there's no reason for me to be out that far anyhow.

I can mention many things, good and bad about retiring here. But one, in my opinion, it is MANDATORY.....

If you are not willing to learn the language...better retire where you can communicate better...or in your own.

don't agree at all so far. the things i need almost always have someone around who speaks english or who's willing to work around it.

why? because they need the money for the services or products i'm interested in.

just speaking from a necessity standpoint and no socializing etc. i'm not likely to get out far enough in the country to have to speak thai. there's no reason for me to be out that far anyhow.

And when you refuse to learn Thai, you pay the falang price for everything you buy. As the Thais say in English, "up to you".

And when you refuse to learn Thai, you pay the falang price for everything you buy. As the Thais say in English, "up to you".

Agreed. I always used to to ask for the price of something in English. Then switch to Thai. The price would often halve immediately as they realised you were not a tourist.

As many posters have said, life in retirement is an attitude. It doesn't matter whether you retire in your home country or Thailand, there are many adjustments to your mental processes and lifestyle you need to make.

I chose to retire to Thailand because I was at a stage in life where I wanted to design/build a house and work on the land. I had modest capital and could only achieve what I wanted in Thailand, certainly not in Australia. It's been a busy few years going through the building or our house, landscaping of our property, construction of dams and fishing ponds, planting of hundreds of trees, acquiring exotic pets that are illegal back in Australia etc.

To me, buying the land and building the house has been a lifestyle thing. I don't really care about the investment side of things or not being able to own the land. Once your dead what does it matter who owns the land. I just like to think I'll leave the land in better shape than when I first came along. It's like friends and relationships. If you leave everyone a little better off for having known you, what more could you want. In the meantime I get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction out of watching the trees get bigger, looking at the Alligator Gar cruising in the ponds, feeding the iguanas and tortoises, taking in the sunset through the palm trees etc.

I've lived in Australia for 55 years, why not live in another country for awhile?

Advice to OP:

1/ Rent, don't buy. It's easy to buy property in Thailand, and horrendously difficult to sell. Renting is very cheap here.

2/ Learn Thai. You don't have to be fluent; however, it is much better here if you can at least communicate.

3/ Keep most of your assets in your home country, and only transfer here what you need to live on.

4/ Research where you want to live. I live in Chiang Mai. Others don't like it. Pick what appeals to you.

5/ Consider your health. While the health system here is reasonably good, if you have health issues it can be quite expensive here.

6/ Take your time with the Thai ladies. Yes, they can be very seductive. However, if you feel the need for company you must establish trust both ways.

7/ Get used to Thainess. Thais think differently and not necessarily logically.

8/ If you acquire any vehicle here, learn to drive defensively. It's the only way to survive.

9/ Try to enjoy spicy food. It's better for you in terms of food absorption, and also killing any bacteria or parasites. If you have a weight problem, a diet of 90% Thai cuisine will reduce it.

10/ Buslnesses run by falangs to cater for the needs of other falangs don't necessarily have your best interests at heart. Be careful.

11. You really have to be a complete idiot to get yourself into trouble with the police in Thailand. However, there are some who volunteer for the position.

12. Banking here is very secure if you stick to a savings passbook. Only use ATM's outside banks. Thailand is a cash economy, so carry enough cash with you for day-to-day expenses. A lot of card fraud here.

Good luck.

biggrin.png

op! I would like to commend this quoted post as one of the best, most conscience and correct pieces of advice so far.

However, I would suggest that you invest in a copy of Thailand Fever, Amazon along with many have it.

It will teach you about Thai culture and who knows, you may even learn things about western culture as well (I did lol)

Re, the seductive nature of Thai ladies.

Read Stephen Leathers ebook, Private Dancer.

I spend half time in Spain and half in Thailand with my Thai wife - best of both worlds I believe, although I am a Brit.

Price wise and weather, Spain and Thailand are quite similar on balance, some things a tad more or less expensive but balance to be equal.

For sure, initially stay in guest houses for short terms, a month and move on and learn the whole country.

Renting tends to tie you in to a specific location and may introduce you to the hassle of trying to get deposits back, noisy neighbours etc.

Initially, don't drive here, get used to the place first.

Never get into a situation of confrontation with a Thai, can result in deadly situations, learn to walk away.

Do not come wearing a "holiday head"! Stay sober (ish) and always aware.

Never rush, always take your time and enjoy every moment.

One of the benefits IMHO of living here half time or so is that it's like having a new lover every half year, the interest is always there LOL

Have a great retirement.

After reading through the replies to your question, I was struck by the mostly complete absence of any mention of the Thai people and the radical change in the culture that you will encounter. The truth of the matter is that way too many farang spend their time sitting around complaining about the country and its people. I know many farang that interact with the community only when they have to. In my opinion, if you find that you are not comfortable not understanding what is being said around you and have to work hard to learn enough Thai to get by and end up isolating yourself, then retire in the UK because you will be unhappy here.

I retired here 4 years ago, was lucky and met a lovely Thai woman. I believe having a companion makes retiring here better in many ways. But you also need to know that romantic love has westerners understand it does not exist here. This takes some work to understand and accept.

Health care for older people is difficult to get. I got a small policy before I turned 70, and it would cover things like an appendicectomy or cholecystectomy. If you have any pre-existing conditions you will not be able to get anything. I continued to pay for my Medicare Part B in the U.S. went back to have a 4 vein ablation to fix my atrial fibrillation. It would have run 2-3 million bhat (30-60 thousand U.S.) here using a technology that is fast being replaced in the U.S. It cost me about $3,500 total for two trips to Los Angeles and out of pocket for co-pays. At 80 years old you will be without any health insurance here. They just drop you. You also need to watch what the residency rules are to keep your national health insurance.

Hope it helps.

LOL. That just isn't true.

Most places farangs like to retire have enough English speakers not to ever need to utter a single Thai word.

However, if planning on travelling around Thailand do learn how to ask where the toilet is- that's my only must learn phrase.

Public transport is excellent- no need to buy or drive a car. A small m'bike is good for local getting around though.

My advice is NEVER BUY PROPERTY-RENT, NEVER BUY PROPERTY-RENT, NEVER BUY PROPERTY-RENT, NEVER BUY PROPERTY-RENT.

I just can't say that enough times. There are dozens of unhappy threads on TV about men that bought property and regretted it, but few or none from men that rent.

IMO don't retire in Phuket- it is a mafia run expensive 'hole.

Chiang Mai- has everything except a beach, but the traffic is atrocious and the immigration office is a pain.

Pattaya has everything a single man could desire, though Jomptien might be a better place to live.

Some like Hua Hin. I hate it, but that's because I like beaches that don't have condos built below high tide.

The gulf coast south of Chumpon is quiet and very pleasant, but you might need to speak Thai if you live there.

Samui- too expensive.

Phangan- I love it. Not too expensive and lovely beaches on the north end. Avoid Hat Rin though- it's an excrescence on the face of the planet.

The south- enough potential trouble there to avoid

The far north/ north east- lovely, but isolated.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

After reading through the replies to your question, I was struck by the mostly complete absence of any mention of the Thai people and the radical change in the culture that you will encounter. The truth of the matter is that way too many farang spend their time sitting around complaining about the country and its people. I know many farang that interact with the community only when they have to. In my opinion, if you find that you are not comfortable not understanding what is being said around you and have to work hard to learn enough Thai to get by and end up isolating yourself, then retire in the UK because you will be unhappy here.

I retired here 4 years ago, was lucky and met a lovely Thai woman. I believe having a companion makes retiring here better in many ways. But you also need to know that romantic love has westerners understand it does not exist here. This takes some work to understand and accept.

Health care for older people is difficult to get. I got a small policy before I turned 70, and it would cover things like an appendicectomy or cholecystectomy. If you have any pre-existing conditions you will not be able to get anything. I continued to pay for my Medicare Part B in the U.S. went back to have a 4 vein ablation to fix my atrial fibrillation. It would have run 2-3 million bhat (30-60 thousand U.S.) here using a technology that is fast being replaced in the U.S. It cost me about $3,500 total for two trips to Los Angeles and out of pocket for co-pays. At 80 years old you will be without any health insurance here. They just drop you. You also need to watch what the residency rules are to keep your national health insurance.

Hope it helps.

If you are under 66 you can get insurance that covers anything involving a hospital stay for 60,000+ baht a year, but you have to pay every year as won't get after 66. As 3 days in hospital for bronchitis would have cost me 52,000 baht it is well worth it.

Don't even think about using the public hospitals.

As said won't get, or might not be able to afford when 70 or over. I work on the assumption that if anything happens to me then and I didn't die I will probably be left to die. No matter, I had an interesting life. you just have to ask yourself how long you want to live- if till an old old man, Thailand is not for you unless very very rich.

I was struck by the mostly complete absence of any mention of the Thai people and the radical change in the culture that you will encounter.

Why do you think that strange? It's just the way it is. Unless sleeping with Thais, it is not necessary to interact with them except when buying stuff or at immigration.

I am happy as a sandboy in Thailand, and only ever learned bar Thai. My only Thai friend is my wife and I'm OK with that. Not everyone needs to or wants to interact with Thais/ other people anyway.

Many farangs live in LOS because they like the weather, not because of the people or the culture. That is their right, as long as they abide by the rules.

As a user of the bureaucracy in several countries, I can say they are all &^%^%$%$, wherever they are. Douglas Adams had the right answer to them.

My advice is NEVER BUY PROPERTY-RENT, NEVER BUY PROPERTY-RENT, NEVER BUY PROPERTY-RENT, NEVER BUY PROPERTY-RENT.

I just can't say that enough times. There are dozens of unhappy threads on TV about men that bought property and regretted it, but few or none from men that rent.

Thaibeachlovers unfortunately, you don't understand the concept of the "buying vs renting" lifestyle. Renting, you are throwing money away each month and you cannot alter the property you rent to suit you......its a temporary existence. And that may suit you and others ....Fine.

You say "Never, Never Never buy Property" .....but buying property, you have something! Something tangible, something you can alter, change or rearrange to your liking. Something to leave your wife and children. Not saying buying property is for everyone .......but an emphatic NO is downright BAD advice.blink.png

Every situation is different, and as such all such variables should be taken into consideration in whether to buy or not. whistling.gif

Thaibeachlovers unfortunately, you don't understand the concept of the "buying vs renting" lifestyle. Renting, you are throwing money away each month and you cannot alter the property you rent to suit you......its a temporary existence. And that may suit you and others ....Fine.

You say "Never, Never Never buy Property" .....but buying property, you have something! Something tangible, something you can alter, change or rearrange to your liking. Something to leave your wife and children. Not saying buying property is for everyone .......but an emphatic NO is downright BAD advice.blink.png

Every situation is different, and as such all such variables should be taken into consideration in whether to buy or not. whistling.gif

While I generally agree with what you say, the idea that paying rent is throwing money away is ridiculous.

Sometimes it makes sense to buy, sometimes it makes sense to rent.

While I generally agree with what you say, the idea that paying rent is throwing money away is ridiculous.

Sometimes it makes sense to buy, sometimes it makes sense to rent.

Well .....when paying rent for 10 years and after that having nothing to show for it .....It is just like throwing it away.

Example....Paid 3.5 million baht for a house in Bangkok 10 years ago . If paid rent at 30,000 baht (fair rental value)/month, would have nothing at the end of 10 Years.