Netflix is now available in Thailand

ghworker2010

Doomsday is here. Tried various locations on unlocator and all were blocked by Netflix. Also all of the locations of my Von were blocked. Bye bye Netflix?

Can't vouch for this personally, since I'm not a current account holder with them, but I got a marketing email today from Smart DNS Proxy specifically advertising that they'd solved their Netflix problem and inviting their past customers to subscribe.

Meanwhile, took out a free month trial subscription to the Iflix.com service today. Regular price 100 baht per month.

I didn't know who/what Iflix was until recently, when I was reading some articles where Sky UK had invested in the service, and it turns out they have some other substantial backing as well, and are now making a push to expand in Asia.

I'd be curious to know, for anyone who's used both, how you'd rate/compare Netflix Thailand with Iflix. I've never done the crippled Netflix Thailand version, but for 100 baht per month, Iflix seems to have a decent selection of U.S. movies and television series. It looked like they were offering Thai subtitles on a lot of content, but don't appear to have any actual Thai-origin content as yet.

Meanwhile, took out a free month trial subscription to the Iflix.com service today. Regular price 100 baht per month.

I didn't know who/what Iflix was until recently, when I was reading some articles where Sky UK had invested in the service, and it turns out they have some other substantial backing as well, and are now making a push to expand in Asia.

I'd be curious to know, for anyone who's used both, how you'd rate/compare Netflix Thailand with Iflix. I've never done the crippled Netflix Thailand version, but for 100 baht per month, Iflix seems to have a decent selection of U.S. movies and television series. It looked like they were offering Thai subtitles on a lot of content, but don't appear to have any actual Thai-origin content as yet.

Yes, used both. Can't argue iflix is good value, however, Netflix experience overall better quality imo - that's using on a tablet/phone (iPad/iPhone) Edited by DMC1

I already have it via a VPN. Will programs be the same as in the USA?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

As of yesterday Netflix was not allowing access to USA Netflix from Thailand. Thai Netflix is accessible but has fewer offerings

A comparison between Netflix and Iflix:

1 - Quality. Most Netflix content is 1080p with 5.1 surround sound. Iflix has only 480p with no 5.1 sound support.

2 - Netflix has great connectivity support with apps for all devices including smart tv. It also supports 'beaming' from tablets and phones to Xbox or Smart tv. Iflix only supports apps for tablets and phones. No support for Smart Tvs ... Unless you use an hdmi cable.

3 - Netflix has very good exclusive series like Marco Polo. Iflix has only the generic stuff. Furthermore, Netflix has many of the newer movies and if you have worldwide access (with a Vpn or unblocker) 12,000 movies and over 5,000 series.

• Like 1

I already have it via a VPN. Will programs be the same as in the USA?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

As of yesterday Netflix was not allowing access to USA Netflix from Thailand. Thai Netflix is accessible but has fewer offerings

Not true. I am watching US Netflix right now from Thailand.

• 1 year later...

Just resurrecting this thread, how do you pay the monthly sub here in Thailand?. I was chatting with some one on Netflix helpline about it and they said Credit/debit card or PayPal. 

Over here I only have Unionpay Bangkok card and a UK debit card that I rarely use. They did mention AIS promotions too, we have our mobiles on contract with AIS.

Though up country I have TOT fibre for house internet. Mrs PT2 is a big YouTube movie watcher.

Edited by phutoie2
error

• 1 month later...

One issue re Netflix that I posted on another thread, since May 2017 Netflix has been locking down the Android devices their app is officially (e.g. from the Play Store) available for install on.  It now has to be a non-rooted Google Certified device and AFAIK no generic Android box qualifies, even many phones are finding the app showing as incompatible for their device, if they can see it at all.  

You can partially get around the problem my side-loading older APKs onto generic Android boxes but I've found that becoming problematic too with several older APKs not working now.  Commonly you can get to the stage where you select a programme to play then it starts and suddenly the picture freezes while the sound continues while you get a lengthy "Sorry, could not connect to the Netflix service.......(0013)".  This error often points to an Android setting that needs looking at.  There are numerous suggestions including clearing the cache / data, re-starting and reinstalling but what used to be an infrequent problem seems to surface every time I've tried Netflix on Android boxes lately.  At first I thought it was just my Minix U9 that had the problem.  But it's surfaced with numerous APKs that I've tried on that and on a recently acquired upgraded AIS Playbox.  Bit rich that Netflix are now locking out devices that you should be able to watch a paid for service on.

Of course the the Google Certified issue is not the only problem.  If you want HD Netflix the device ALSO has to be Netflix approved and there really aren't that many, on the TV box front it's pretty much:

• Nvidia Shield
  • Fire TV / Stick
  • Some Rokus
  • Xiaomi Mi
  • Apple TV
  • Google Chromecast
  • WeTek Core

It's not always 1080 on browsers either.  Netflix lists browser performance as:

• Google Chrome up to 720p
  • Internet Explorer up to 1080p
  • Microsoft Edge up to 1080p
  • Mozilla Firefox up to 720p
  • Opera up to 720p
  • Safari up to 1080p on Mac OS X 10.10.3 or later

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

One other thing re iFlix, it is no longer only SD.  Since Jan 24 2017 new shows / movies will be in HD (720 for now) and the back catalogue is slowly being converted.  You can pay 100 pm or pay 1,000 per year.

That's interesting - I briefly tried iflix but on any decent sized tv the quality is so poor - like the old True AXN level of sub video cd screen definition - so offering 720p is a very big improvement.

By the way, The AIS Game of Thrones is censored, just as it was on True before.... wife was watching it for the thai subtitles, but will be sticking with Sickrage and proper uncensored 1080p with no Channle logos and english subtitles.

• Like 1

For some reason the Netflix on my smart TV has decided to think I'm in the USA! I'm not using a VPN. Normally I'd be quite happy only I'm three episodes into the third series of Broadchurch which isn't available in the US! 

Tried it on the MacBook and it's the same; I seem to have the US catalogue.

Anyone else experienced this? Maybe I'll have to make the most of it while it's available.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having issues with the 'continue watching' not updating and the activity log not updating? The past 2-3 days my IOS app hasn't updated the content that I've been watching.

I called Netflix direct from the app help section and a British guy answered and said they would record the issue.

Not a big deal unless you watch loads of different shows at the same time and forget where you are up to.

I did check online and there seems to be others with the same issue.

• 5 weeks later...

Just asking seeing this is an older thread can one watch Netflix in Thailand via their Thailand app in other words not the USA one. But the Thai one that does not have the Thai sub titles attached or it this some thing one has to get used to when watching the Thai feed or can one disconnect the subs?

You can turn the Subtitles off in options.

Netflix provides a service which is geo location dependant. It's the same so wherever you are. It'll just serve up the content you are entitled to depending on where you are (unless you try and succeed with a VPN).

24 minutes ago, SooKee said:

You can turn the Subtitles off in options.

Netflix provides a service which is geo location dependant. It's the same so wherever you are. It'll just serve up the content you are entitled to depending on where you are (unless you try and succeed with a VPN).

I use a VPN on my phone, computer and Android TV no problem getting Netflix from any location. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2016 at 4:20 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Netflix are moving to more and more of the content being their own programming, which is then available in Thailand on the same day as the rest of the world. No doubt there is content not available here, but all the new shows are, and amazingly they  come with Thai subtitles available on the day of release which my wife likes, and indicates a level of commitment to the local market. So there may be less available than, say,  the USA, but it is hardly crippled. There is more available than we have time to watch!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Netflix are moving to more and more of the content being their own programming, which is then available in Thailand on the same day as the rest of the world. No doubt there is content not available here, but all the new shows are, and amazingly they  come with Thai subtitles available on the day of release which my wife likes, and indicates a level of commitment to the local market. So there may be less available than, say,  the USA, but it is hardly crippled. There is more available than we have time to watch!

Absolutely, loads of content on Netflix here, it'll take me ages to burn through it all and, along with iFlix, is available in Thailand, streams in HD from local servers (even iFlix are gradually converting to all HD), with Thai subtitles and without needing to use a VPN to connect to it.  The crippled service is Amazon international where a year after launch the content is really dismal (doubtless why the promotional offer has been extended to a year beyond the original 6 months).

10 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

If what you want is Thai subtitles, then I guess Netflix Thailand is OK.

But by any definition, the Netflix catalog available in Thailand is crippled, in terms of being just a small portion (under 13%) of both movies and TV shows compared to their U.S. catalog, and a lot smaller also than a lot of other non-U.S. countries where Netflix operates, although similar in numbers to other SE Asian countries. Look at the comparisons posted on Finder.com:

59e62710183be_2017-10-1722_49_56.jpg.a570cf141bbe540e6c9fcbdb8d8783b3.jpg

59e627126e0dd_2017-10-1722_50_34.jpg.a6f78140be053a716347bca04f2788ae.jpg

https://www.finder.com/global-netflix-library-totals

Kind of interesting, a different site, JustWatch.com, has different numbers for Netflix U.S. and Thailand that don't show Thailand as far behind in catalog, but still with only a bit more than half the size of the U.S. catalog:

U.S. Netflix -- 4751 titles, 3766 movies and 985 TV titles

https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/netflix?content_type=show

Thailand Netflix -- 2552 titles, 2018 movies and 534 TV titles

https://www.justwatch.com/th/provider/netflix?content_type=show

And Amazon Prime Instant Video in the U.S. -- 10,428 titles, 9734 movies and 694 TV titles

https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/amazon-prime-instant-video

JustWatch doesn't have a tally for Amazon Prime (PrimeVideo) in Thailand. But they do have numbers for other services offered in Thailand, including Iflix, Hooq, Apple and Google Play.

https://www.justwatch.com/th

Kind of interesting, a different site, JustWatch.com, has different numbers for Netflix U.S. and Thailand that don't show Thailand as far behind in catalog, but still with only a bit more than half the size of the U.S. catalog:

U.S. Netflix -- 4751 titles, 3766 movies and 985 TV titles

https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/netflix?content_type=show

Thailand Netflix -- 2552 titles, 2018 movies and 534 TV titles

https://www.justwatch.com/th/provider/netflix?content_type=show

And Amazon Prime Instant Video in the U.S. -- 10,428 titles, 9734 movies and 694 TV titles

https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/amazon-prime-instant-video

JustWatch doesn't have a tally for Amazon Prime (PrimeVideo) in Thailand. But they do have numbers for other services offered in Thailand, including Iflix, Hooq, Apple and Google Play.

https://www.justwatch.com/th

I guess if what folks want is a service that has got it act together, that you can watch in Thailand, without the need to use a VPN to access it I guess Netflix is great. It doesn't take much hard work to go through the movies or series to see exactly what Netflix or even iFlix has to offer compared to that offered by Amazon which is, in all honesty, a total disgrace for a streaming service. The language options are a benefit, given that, you know, we DO live in South East Asia. Even if that's not important for folks, you'd be watching Netflix far longer than you would before you exhausted the 15 or so series (once you take out the junk) that Amazon offer. I have nothing against Amazon per se, except that their entry into the international streaming market 12 months on is still a complete joke and for sure doesn't warrant the costs they hope to be charging. Seems like they want a piece of the Netflix cake and hope to do so by charging for crumbs.

Figures from websites are fine. Sign up, don't use a VPN, see what's on offer. It won't take much more than your fingers and toes to count what Amazon provide.

Sent using Tapatalk

I always get a chuckle thinking about Thai folks watching BoJack Horseman - one of my favs, with or without subtitles and/or dubbing.

Netflix is spending a huge wad of cash on original programming ($ 8 B) and blew the lid off on new subscribers (+5.3 m in Q3), ~ 53 m subs in the U.S. alone. Then they dropped a fee increase ($9.99 to $10.99, in the U.S. anyway). 

Anxiously awaiting the Oct. 27 drop of Stranger Things S02. Sophmore slump?

The Punisher has been stalled owing in part to the LV shooting, but given the daily shootings there may never be a "good" time to drop this show, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, SooKee said:

I have nothing against Amazon per se, except that their entry into the international streaming market 12 months on is still a complete joke and for sure doesn't warrant the costs they hope to be charging. Seems like they want a piece of the Netflix cake and hope to do so by charging for crumbs.

Figures from websites are fine. Sign up, don't use a VPN, see what's on offer. It won't take much more than your fingers and toes to count what Amazon provide.

Except, obviously, you do -- apparently, because you can't get an Amazon PrimeVideo (intl) app on your Fire TV device. Which is not surprising right now, since Amazon doesn't sell Fire TVs in most countries where the intl PrimeVideo service is offered, including Thailand.

We've trod this ground before in prior threads. I agree, there's very little sensible reason why any English speaker right now should want to subscribe to the minimal PrimeVideo service (the international version of Amazon Prime video) when the U.S. version has a much larger and more appealing catalog that's quite good. If anyone wants to use or judge Amazon, judge it on their U.S. streaming content.

But frankly, that's the same situation with Netflix. For both Amazon and Netflix, their catalogs available in Thailand are only a small portion of the broader catalogs that are available via their U.S. subscriptions. Bottom line: the larger U.S. catalogs of Netflix and Amazon are easily available to anyone who actually wants them.

Really, no matter what hardware one is using, it's not that hard to set up a VPN or DNS redirect service -- which has its own benefits regardless of what streaming service one may be using. That unlocks the door to the full Amazon streaming catalog, not to mention the larger U.S. Netflix catalog, and countless other content sources as well. And of course unlocks the full benefits of using a Fire TV.

That's the easy solution, and far more productive than constantly griping about Amazon and its international PrimeVideo service.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I always get a chuckle thinking about Thai folks watching BoJack Horseman - one of my favs, with or without subtitles and/or dubbing.

I would imagine, anything that's a cartoon/animated would go over big here.... :sleep:

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except, obviously, you do -- apparently, because you can't get an Amazon PrimeVideo (intl) app on your Fire TV device. Which is not surprising right now, since Amazon doesn't sell Fire TVs in most countries where the intl PrimeVideo service is offered, including Thailand.

We've trod this ground before in prior threads. I agree, there's very little sensible reason why any English speaker right now should want to subscribe to the minimal PrimeVideo service (the international version of Amazon Prime video) when the U.S. version has a much larger and more appealing catalog that's quite good. If anyone wants to use or judge Amazon, judge it on their U.S. streaming content.

But frankly, that's the same situation with Netflix. For both Amazon and Netflix, their catalogs available in Thailand are only a small portion of the broader catalogs that are available via their U.S. subscriptions. Bottom line: the larger U.S. catalogs of Netflix and Amazon are easily available to anyone who actually wants them.

Really, no matter what hardware one is using, it's not that hard to set up a VPN or DNS redirect service -- which has its own benefits regardless of what streaming service one may be using. That unlocks the door to the full Amazon streaming catalog, not to mention the larger U.S. Netflix catalog, and countless other content sources as well. And of course unlocks the full benefits of using a Fire TV.

That's the easy solution, and far more productive than constantly griping about Amazon and its international PrimeVideo service.

Maybe take some lessons in reading and comprehension and you'll see the word EXCEPT after the element of my post that you chose to alter when quoting (I think that's against forum rules - posts should be quoted as is).  Had you taken further time to read and comprehend my other posts instead of constantly griping on as to why people don't use a VPN it's quite clear that I 1) don't rate the Prime International Service and that 2) I consider the Fire TV to be a poor device to use as a streamer in Thailand given it's Amazon centric UI, inability to access even their own services and the inability to use any apps that need Google Play Services to work.  But then you do have a habit of ignoring any facts that don't support your arguments.

Fact is I don’t like / rate the Fire TV, you do.  I’ve no problem with that, I have no need to convince you why I don’t like it and I’m not bothered why you do, it’s what people prefer and how they use their devices that dictates their choice.  Only thing I do take issue with is that when I accurately comment on the fact that the Fire TV cannot access the Prime Video International service because without a VPN the Fire TV can only access Prime in Amazon account countries, you accuse me of ‘spreading falsehoods’, the term you used IIRC.  Nothing false about it at all, it’s a fact, one that even Amazon acknowledged on the Prime Video International (the international being a distinction that even they do no use, but we’ve had the terminology discussion before).  But then, based on no evidence whatsoever you claim (presumably merely because you think) that ‘Android TV is dying on the vine, so your spreading falsehoods is OK is it?  Pot / kettle black methinks!

As to constantly griping, no more than you constantly banging on about using VPNs to access services.  You don't seem to be able to get it into your head that some people don't want to do things the way you do.  I live in Thailand.  I will judge the services by criteria that are important to me.  And IN THAILAND that means accessing services provided AS IS without using VPNs.  

Bottom line: if people wish to access services available in Thailand without using a VPN both Netflix and iFlix offer more than enough content to make it worthwhile and value for money.  Amazon don't.  If you WISH to use a VPN (and for some reason some folks can't understand that others don't want to use VPNs for whatever reason) you will be able to access the US / UK catalogues of both Netflix and Amazon.

In that regard I will criticise Amazon Prime as I see fit and if you don't like it - tough, I don't recall seeing you being put in charge of who can post what.  Maybe I missed it?  Furthermore, invariably my griping occurs when you poke your oar into threads banging on, as ever, about using VPNs, whether the thread is SPECIFICALLY about the Prime International Service or even Shields. Even THIS thread ia about the Netflix service ASI IT IS AVAILABLE IN THAILAND.  Not the US / VPN version which has always been available, but no, here we go again, VPN, VPN, VPN (yawn).

As it stands, I find your constant griping about my dislike of Amazon, your constant banging on about the Netflix catalogue being smaller (which even if it is smaller the FACT is their Thai catalogue dwarfs that of Amazon's), and in indeed your never ending bleating about why people just don't use a VPN about as aggravating as you seem to find my posts and your condescending tone even more unpleasant.  So on that front, I'm done wasting time engaging with you on this issue.

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

Bottom line: both the Amazon and Netflix U.S. catalogs are much better/broader than their Thailand versions. And if anyone chooses to only want to access the crippled Thailand versions instead of the full U.S. versions, that's their choice. 

But it's a choice made despite the fact that there are plenty of easy options available for those in Thailand who want to access the full U.S. catalogs. You can settle for a bag of potato chips, but I'll take the full course buffet.

My Fire TV works perfectly fine, gives me access to the U.S. catalogs of Netflix, Amazon, and everything else I want. Not much to complain about there. Though admittedly, I have no interest is trying to use my Fire TV to sign up for/use Thailand/SE Asia based services. That's not what it was developed for or meant for.

I have a VPN and have tried both the US and Thai service.

The Thai based service is, obviously,  both quicker to load and effortlessly streams HD/4K content. It is therefore my default for accessing Netflix. Should I find there a need to watch something not available here I could switch to the US service, but in 20 months of subscription I have yet to do so. Maybe our viewing interests/volume are different, but I think the crippled bag of chips/full course buffet comparison is overstating the benefits of the US catalogue.

• Like 1