Lard For Baking.

pattaya_girl

Indeed easy DIY. Kilo price of pork fat about 80 Baht. Skin of.

Wish there was cow fat same as lard. Anyone knows? Dunno a name for that.

Probably unthinkable too as do thai cows deliver fat in quantity? Nope, so expensive.

Never have seen lard but Crisco Shortening is available even in Tesco Lotus and Best Supermarket and Villa. You can make your own lard by saving your bacon grease. As a true Southerner (USA) I always have bacon grease and even kept in my refrigerator. Best of luck.

Cool the fat a couple of hours. Cut into small dices 5 x 5 mm.

Pour just a little cooking oil in the pot as a starter. Then add the diced fat and let it sweat on low heat so the fat doesn't get baked/burned. Finally fat will get golden brown and that's the time to stop. Pour out the liquid fat and if you like you can now bake the fat till dry greaves. Remaining fat of this can still be used if not too black.

In this old topic from ThaiVisa Phil Connors suggests you look for the German lard in local supermarkets (Post #3) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/123663-where-can-i-buy-lard-in-thailand/

I am sure I saw lard in Villa Market (if that is the name of the place in the basement of Central Beach Mall) when I was searching for parsnips on Christmas Eve.

Personally, I find Crisco OK for savoury shortcrust pastry (with a bit of extra salt) and I use butter (or half butter-half Crisco) for sweet shortcrust.

When I make pork pies I always make my own lard for the hot water pastry. A bit time consuming, but worth it.

Seen plastic containers of beef lard on sale in Yorkies Jomtien only a few days ago (can't remember the price).

Lard is produced from pork fat - not beef.

Beef dripping has a very distinctive taste and not really suitable for pastry (IMHO). Great for frying chips though.

Seen plastic containers of beef lard on sale in Yorkies Jomtien only a few days ago (can't remember the price).

Lard is produced from pork fat - not beef.

Beef dripping has a very distinctive taste and not really suitable for pastry (IMHO). Great for frying chips though.

Wasn't going to use beef dripping for pastry, but let's get back to the real lard from OP

Archived