Chiang Mai to hold 15th Strawberry Fair in February

webfact

Chiang Mai to hold 15th Strawberry Fair in February

straw.jpg

CHIANG MAI, 8 January 2016 (NNT) - Chiang Mai provincial administration will organize the 15th Strawberry Fair from February 11th - 14th at Samoeng district office.

Event-goers can participate in many activities such as a strawberry contest, floral floats and a beauty contest, to name a few. Couples who are getting married can also request a strawberry themed wedding ceremony at the event.

Chiang Mai is hoping the assortment of activities would draw a large number of foreign visitors to the event this year.

Samoeng district is known as a one of Thailand's top strawberry producers. According to Chiang Mai's provincial administration, the fair gives an additional distribution channel to strawberry growers.

Chiang Mai has about 5,500 rai of strawberry plantations spreading over 10 districts. Every year, the province produces 13,385 tons of strawberry, which bring in 1.1 billion baht worth of income.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-08 footer_n.gif

Some of u guys would run down anything good thing.

Go ahead & eat the cr@p if you want to. Make sure you wash them well. Thailand grows lots of great fruit. Strawberries ain't one of them. Let the hi-so idiots from Bangkok eat them. "aroy".... bah.gif

Had some the other day,they were rubbery and tasted terrible,

I suspect that photo is a handful of British strawberries.

regards Worgeordie

Please replace Brittish by Dutch. You know why.

You are allowed to taste befor you buy, so sum num na.

I bought many good strawberries already this year. Just know what and where.

Not cheaper year by year; think Thais found the pot of gold.

If they would only pick the fruit more gently. Many bruses from picking I experience.

Those are the bruses you will only see the next day after you already bought them.

Edited by hugocnx

In all fairness, Thai's have only been growing strawberries for a relatively short time. Ten years ago they were totally uneatable! You'd actually spit them out within seconds of tasting them. Year by year they have been getting better. These days, if you smother them in sugar and keep your eyes closed while you eat them, you won't gag. That really IS a big improvement. I'd estimate another 6-8 years before they actually 'look' like strawberries, add on 5 more after that until you can recognize the flavor AS strawberry. Change come slowly in Asia...

(BTW... That photo in the OP? Don't strawberries have little white, tan, or brown 'dot/seedy' things inside all those depressions on the surface? Especially towards the pointy end where they really get light colored ... unless someone with a heavy hand uses PhotoShop on them. When we used to photograph them for magazine advertising, we'd paint 'em with bright red nail polish. I wonder what was done here?)

Edited by FolkGuitar

does anybody knows more about this event? Program? Where? What?

Chiang Mai provincial administration will organize the 15th Strawberry Fair from February 11th - 14th at Samoeng district office.

GPS 18.8476904214, 98.7327784901

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/samoeng-strawberry-festival-starts-feb-11/

Samoeng is about 45 km from Chiang Mai.

As I have said it is wort the effort to attend but leave your tastebuds at home.

In all fairness, Thai's have only been growing strawberries for a relatively short time. Ten years ago they were totally uneatable! You'd actually spit them out within seconds of tasting them. Year by year they have been getting better. These days, if you smother them in sugar and keep your eyes closed while you eat them, you won't gag. That really IS a big improvement. I'd estimate another 6-8 years before they actually 'look' like strawberries, add on 5 more after that until you can recognize the flavor AS strawberry. Change come slowly in Asia...

(BTW... That photo in the OP? Don't strawberries have little white, tan, or brown 'dot/seedy' things inside all those depressions on the surface? Especially towards the pointy end where they really get light colored ... unless someone with a heavy hand uses PhotoShop on them. When we used to photograph them for magazine advertising, we'd paint 'em with bright red nail polish. I wonder what was done here?)

I wish Thai visa stop using photoshopped pictures. It is miss-representing and is punishable in western countries.

24264059335_6e3cdfd659_b.jpg

Well, the TAT again.

Some facts would be, that:

THB 1.1 billion divided by 13'385 tons of strawberries would result in a median price of THB 82/kg, the above picture speaks a different language.

The graphic designed who (heavily) tampered with the picture of the main article needs retraining; I - for one - almost got a red-colour shock.

And yes, regretfully all those strawberries are pretty much VERY tasteless. It has to do with the inappropriate soil, the speeding fertilizers and the fact, that most European fruit grows too quick here for afore-mentioned reasons combined with the fact, that the sunlight here is a different ball game all together.

I know of foreigners who are into growing strawberries hydroponically with much better results; problem remains though is the temperature.

For really yummy strawberries look no further than Wick in Northeastern Scotland where I had the best tasting berries which definitely did not grow on Scottish soil gigglem.gif