New UK guidelines: Drinking any alcohol regularly is risky

rooster59

New UK guidelines: Drinking any alcohol regularly is risky

LONDON (AP) — British health officials say that drinking any alcohol regularly increases the risk of cancer, in tough new guidelines that could be hard to swallow for a nation where having a pint is a hallowed tradition.

Britain's Chief Medical Officer advised both men and women not to drink any more than 14 units of alcohol, or about six pints of beer a week, which still carries a low risk of liver disease or cancer. Previously, men had been allowed up to 21 units a week.

The guidance also clarified advice to pregnant women, recommending they avoid alcohol "as a precaution." In a departure from previous advice, the government said there is no "safe" level of alcohol for pregnant women.

Britain also recommended people have several alcohol-free days a week.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-08

Britain brings in one of the world’s strictest guidelines on alcohol consumption

606x341_320712.jpg

Britain is defending the introduction of new guidelines on alcohol consumption, now among the strictest in the world.

Any level of alcohol is not safe, says the guidelines, and recommended levels have been drastically cut.

Critics say it is just scaremongering by a “nanny state”.

But the Chief Medical Officer for England, Sally Davies, said: “It’s for the public to take their decisions on what they do.

“But I hope they will protect themselves. And actually, people are pretty savvy, intelligent about their health. Many people will take this on board.”

Officials insist the new guidelines are based on firm scientific evidence, confusing some who understood that moderate drinking can be good for you.

Wine drinker Carla Bennett said: “All my days of drinking, it has always been known that red wine is good for your blood and the Mediterraneans have it every meal time and it was a bit of a shock to know that it’s not good to have any type of alcohol.”

Britons are now advised to drink no more than six pints of beer or seven glasses of wine per week, far less than what is recommended in other countries.

The new recommendations also say people should have several drink-free days a week and spread out their consumption.

By Seamus Kearney

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-09

"Officials insist the new guidelines are based on firm scientific evidence, confusing some who understood that moderate drinking can be good for you"

Yes, indeed. There have been many reports regarding a glass of red wine or two every day lowering heart disease.

Perhaps the Brit strategy is to lower the target in the belief that people will ignore it but decrease their consumption anyway out of concern. A scare tactic designed to encourage moderation.

"Officials insist the new guidelines are based on firm scientific evidence, confusing some who understood that moderate drinking can be good for you"

Yes, indeed. There have been many reports regarding a glass of red wine or two every day lowering heart disease.

Perhaps the Brit strategy is to lower the target in the belief that people will ignore it but decrease their consumption anyway out of concern. A scare tactic designed to encourage moderation.

The red wine thing only really applies to over 55s. There is a big drinking culture in the UK so I can't imagine this will go down to well.

I had actually decided at the start of the year I would cut down anyway and now limit my drinking to 1 session a month, the session consisting of maybe a few pints at most. I feel better for it and my pockets a bit fatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The red wine thing only really applies to over 55s. There is a big drinking culture in the UK so I can't imagine this will go down to well.

I had actually decided at the start of the year I would cut down anyway and now limit my drinking to 1 session a month, the session consisting of maybe a few pints at most. I feel better for it and my pockets a bit fatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bring up an interesting point that I was going to mention, age.

Just as if you were to start smoking at age 40 you are unlikely to die of smoking-related illness, if you were to drink more than recommended after you turn 40 or 50 would the bad effects still affect you?

Yon Sally looks like a bundle of fun ! I,ve been drinking, often excessively, for 55 years and apart from turning myself into a gibbering idiot now and then I would say that it would be a boring old life without a glass of beer now and then. I would also think it would improve Sally,s chances of a date now and then :)

I started last year to keep a record of every drop or glass of alcohol I drink. Just by doing that my alcohol consumption dropped and I now average less than 21 units/week.

One unit (10 ml of 100% alcohol) really isn't that much. A small bottle of 5.5% beer here is 1.8 units.

A bottle of wine is 10-11 units.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

Yeah right, and if you watch Emmerdale farm and Coronation street every day you'll turn into Thai van driver ! Anyway what's Robert Redford (Sally Davies) gibbering about ? If the British didn't drink they'd wise up and destroy the government......... It's the only reason why there hasn't been another civil war, we're all pissed !

People who don't drink also die! Everyone dies. There is no proof that people who don't drink live longer than those who drink (except of those who literally drown themselves). My grandfather outlived his wife and he drank about 2 l of wine everyday. He died in his 70's from stroke (not from live disease!) but his wife in her 50's from clogged veins in her legs. I bet if she drank she could've lived longer. It all depends on us, how fit you are, if you exercise or just lay like a couch potato. Healthy eating and exercise plus some drinks will make you live a very long life!