British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE SATURDAY: Police have confirmed that 26-year-old Luke Miller was found dead in a hotel swimming pool after taking a plunge from the top of a nearby DJ booth whilst 'heavily drunk'.

Local Thai Police believe Mr Miller climbed onto the roof of the booth, cutting his face on barbed wire in the process, before jumping off and hitting his head on the swimming pool floor. Police do not believe any foul play was involved.

Investigating officer Lt Col Napha Senathip has said that footage recovered from CCTV cameras at the hotel lead Police to believe Mr Miller was 'heavily drunk' before his death.

A post-mortem is due to be carried out on the mainland Surat Thani. Investigations into the death continue with further CCTV footage being examined.

A crowdfunding page has been up to Help Repatriate SET as Mr Miller Messages of Condolence Continue to pour in. Some £ 3545 has already been raised out of a Target of £ 5000

Not sure if I can post the link as it is a translation.

Edit: Found the link in English - http://www.islandecho.co.uk/news/islander-dies-whilst-on-holiday-in-thailand

Lots of leaping to conclusions. Yeah he admitted to taking drugs but so do thousands of other visitors who don't die.

Could be murder but it could also be as simple as an electric shock in a swimming pool as has happened to other people.

Let's wait for the facts to come out.

You advocate not leaping to conclusions but in the same breath you mention with supreme hypocrisy death by drugs, murder, and, being astonishingly specific, electrocution in a swimming pool.

As you said, wait for the facts!

I sure hope this posting does not turn into an opportunity to shed light on all the unsolved murders which happen in Thailand...The PM is reforming the police dept so have patience

Can't we just focus on all the good stuff...the easy visas...and smiling people...the inexpensive costs...the helpful Thais...

Don't even get me started on old fat beer drinking ex-pats that come to Thailand for the young women...

Well, l did reply to your moralising post but its been removed.

l guess some people don't like the truth.

Too bad, l say it like it is.

Cheers

Unfortunately, the ready access to drugs on this island could have led this unfortunate to overdose (see FB page for details of his NY bender). About time the junta clamp down hard once and for all.

Being realistic, I guess these mafia run businesses which generate billions of baht are untouchable. Where is a Thai Eliot Ness, when you need him?

I am going to admit I haven't visited his FB page because I don't really wish to see a dead guys page who has passed so recently, but I have heard he had been using mushrooms, you cannot overdose in a deadly way on mushrooms if they are actually non-toxic, and those shakes aren't as they are often P.Cubensis. Was there other usage of drugs on his page?

Indeed psilocybin, the active ingredient in Magic 'shrooms will not kill you per se. However the effects, amongst others, include hallucinations and loss of perception of distance. That, coupled with large amounts of alchohol (which can kill you) and also likely due to being in-acclimatized and dehydrated - which in itself causes brain function abnormalities, would lead to a very high risk of making reckless decisions.

In a holiday situation a possible scenario would be taking an over enthusiastic dive into the shallow end of a swimming pool late at night, knocking oneself unconscious and drowning. Maybe even just walking around the pool on unsteady feet and slipping in with a crack on the head on the way. There but for the grace of God go I!

Nobody knows exactly what has happened here, but from what is known from the young man's own writing, it is highly likely that drugs and alcohol would have been a contributing factor.

Edit: Just seen that whilst composing the above it would appear that diving into the pool was exactly what happened..

Although I don't trust the RTP for 1 second, it seems to be a plausible scenario....

Totally drunk, coming home at night, jumping of the roof of a booth near a pool at your bungalow and break your neck whilst doing this. If accurate, I suspect he was not alone while this happened, we 'll find out soon I guess. If there are no witlessness, be prepared for another 500 pages of pure speculation. And yes, what makes this suspicious is cutting your face on barbed wire.......... is there barbed wire near that pool?

http://www.islandecho.co.uk/news/islander-dies-whilst-on-holiday-in-thailand

Well, it looks like he dived into a swimming pool in the shallow end from the roof of a dj booth while drunk. I presume it was in the early hours when nearly everyone was in bed so no direct witnesses. When I was younger I smacked my head on the bottom a few times but from diving at a shallow angle and that hurt enough and made my head ring.

RIP Luke Miller, at least you had the chance to travel and see something of the world but still a waste.

Although I don't trust the RTP for 1 second, it seems to be a plausible scenario....

Totally drunk, coming home at night, jumping of the roof of a booth near a pool at your bungalow and break your neck whilst doing this. If accurate, I suspect he was not alone while this happened, we 'll find out soon I guess. If there are no witlessness, be prepared for another 500 pages of pure speculation. And yes, what makes this suspicious is cutting your face on barbed wire.......... is their barbed wire near that pool?

http://www.islandecho.co.uk/news/islander-dies-whilst-on-holiday-in-thailand

Maybe barbed wire to prevent drunken tourists from climbing up to the DJ booth and diving into the swimming pool?

Briton Dies in Hotel Pool on Koh Tao; Police Rule Out Murder
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter
14523405181452340636l.jpg
Tourists board a ferry bound for Koh Tao from a pier in Surat Thani mainland on Dec. 30, 2015.
KOH TAO — A 26-year-old British man was found dead Friday morning in a hotel swimming pool on Tao island, police say.
According to Police Lt Col Napha Senathip, an investigative officer at Koh Tao Police Station, the Briton died after taking a plunge into the swimming pool at Sunset Resort. Police believe murder was not involved, Napha said.
“He must have climbed to the roof of a [nearby] DJ booth, jumped off, and his head hit the swimming pool floor, killing him,” Napha said. He identified the deceased as a 26-year-old tourist from the United Kingdom.
kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-09
Young British tourist Luke Miller found dead on Thai backpacker murder island
By Philip Sherwell, Bangkok
KOH TAO:-- A young British tourist has been found dead in mysterious circumstances on the same small Thai holiday island where two British backpackers were bludgeoned to death.
Luke Miller, 27, from Newport, Isle of Wight was found floating in a hotel swimming pool in Koh Tao on Friday. His body has been taken by boat to the mainland for an autopsy.
By a chilling coincidence, the dead man shared the same surname and came from the same part of Britain as one of the 2014 murder victims – David Miller, 24, from Jersey.
-- The Telegraph
Briton Dies 'Living The Dream' In Thailand
Luke Miller died while holidaying on the same Thai island where two Britons were murdered in 2014.
KOH TAO:-- A British tourist has died while on holiday on the island of Koh Tao in Thailand.
Luke Miller's death occurred just days after he posted a message on Facebook saying he was "living the dream" on holiday.
"Can honestly say this new year I am living the dream of to the full moon party on a speed boat drink cocktails strawberry daiquiris living life to the full yolo so let's do this," he wrote.
It is not yet clear how Mr Miller died.
-- Sky News

sz1a, on 09 Jan 2016 - 20:07, said:

I'll bet they'll call it a suicide unless of course they find cigarette butts on the scene.

The cause of death is pretty much sure and you make this comment, get a life.

From the Khaosod report it appears his body was found Friday morning.

If the story is true I would have expected the guy to be showing off to at least one person but it seems he was all alone - very strange. And why dive and not just jump?

All we have in truth is a body in the pool with presumably evidence of a blow to the head and some cuts on his face. I wonder what the cuts look like. Same as David Miller's?

Case solved then, the police already know what happened.

No witnesses to this, an assumption that he climbed onto a DJ booth because of similar wounds on his face that look similar to barbed wire which is apparently around the dj booth.

Another assumption he was heavily drunk because of cctv images but then a not sure about that so waiting for the autopsy from Surit Thani where ever that is, the mainland I believe.

So current story, he goes back to the resort alone drunk, climbs a dj booth that is protected by barbed wire then jumps off and slams his face into the swimming pool killing him all for the sake of what? No one there to show off his climbing and diving skills. Strange but could also be true.

Is a Thai autopsy fairly credible and accurate?

I hope the Brits will carry out an inquest on this.

So sad.

But very good that Murder Island stays in the news as what it is

It was too silent about the unbelievable verdict against the poor scapegoats - so that the real killers are still walking free,

ready to strike again.

Looked like evil was winning

If I am not wrong this is his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/luke.miller.319?fref=ts

This was his last post December 31st:

"Can honestly say this new year I am living the dream of to the full moon party on a speed boat drink cocktails strawberry daiquiris living life to the full yolo so let's do this"

and this his second last December 30th:

" What a 2 day bender on mushroom shakes shit has gone down lol loving life"

We can expect the Koh Tao truthers to come out soon claiming that Nomsod was on the island again.....

smile emoticon

Was he?

Any reports of shiploads of migrant workers leaving the island so far?

Here we go again! Just waiting for the "reports" about Nomsod rushing off on a speedboat to get the Nok air flight from Chumpae to Bangkok .....

Is this so unlikely - after all what happened?

And thank you for reminding on the name - was nearly forgotten

it is not that he has died, which is sad, it is the complete lack of any information that I find worrying, an accident is just that a suicide is just that, but when you get nothing one must therefore assume the worst AGAIN.

Informations have to be reliable, given by trustworthy people

No witnesses to this, an assumption that he climbed onto a DJ booth because of similar wounds on his face that look similar to barbed wire which is apparently around the dj booth.

Another assumption he was heavily drunk because of cctv images but then a not sure about that so waiting for the autopsy from Surit Thani where ever that is, the mainland I believe.

So current story, he goes back to the resort alone drunk, climbs a dj booth that is protected by barbed wire then jumps off and slams his face into the swimming pool killing him all for the sake of what? No one there to show off his climbing and diving skills. Strange but could also be true.

Indeed, the British police must certainly carry out a inquest, reviewing all the previous evidence- facebook photos of balancing on thin banister rails with a large drop below, references to heroin and other drugs.

Indeed, the British police must certainly carry out a inquest, reviewing all the previous evidence- facebook photos of balancing on thin banister rails with a large drop below, references to heroin and other drugs.

Never mentioned the britsh police I mentioned the british coroner inquest, a difference there. I'm sure they will take into account all evidence you have pointed out as well as the all the rest right? Oh I dont think that was him doing a balancing act in a facebook post but a friend of his so the inquest may ignore that particular piece of evidence.

So sad.

It was too silent about the unbelievable verdict against the poor scapegoats - so that the real killers are still walking free,

ready to strike again.

Well, unlike the claims on here that the whole world watched the previous event with disgust, it seems that it is still not bereft of tourists on Koh Tao.

To be fair - we do not know what happened. Natural death not unlikely.

But is anybody surprised that many people get sceptical after the tragedy/tragedies that happened on this island?

This island should remain in the international news until everything is made clear

So sad.

ready to strike again.

Well, unlike the claims on here that the whole world watched the previous event with disgust, it seems that it is still not bereft of tourists on Koh Tao.

I did not claim "that the whole world watched the previous event with disgust"

If so there would be no tourists anymore on this island

Why is this news? People die everywhere - young, old, any nationality. Drugs, alcohol, car accidents, natural causes.

When a poster can produce meaningful data, such as a statistic that indicates a Brit is ten times more likely to die on Koh Tao than on the Thai mainland, I might pay attention. So far, all I see in this thread are fevered imaginations and well-meant condolences for someone not even known to the poster.

I'm Australian, 72. If I die in Chiang Mai, I don't expect headlines.coffee1.gif

"If I die in Chiang Mai, I don't expect headlines"

If you were 27 you would perhaps

Death Island strikes again

Can someone put together a comprehensive timeline of all of the foreigner's deaths just on Koh Tao? You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.

Based on what. With (tens of) thousands of active people at any time seems to me the reported death rate is very low. Would expect several a year from accidents, heart attacks, illness, etc

That may well be true in some parts of Thailand however the deaths of younger people in Koh Tao, Samui and Phuket are way above what would be normal.

Young British kids go on booze holidays to Spain in their 100's of thousands and have a minimal death rate.

How long before the police say something and I presume the crime scene is cordoned off with a 24 hours guard.

I like the turn of phrase in this, "most deaths":

Most deaths caused by MDMA (Ecstasy), the drug of choice on Ibiza, are caused by heatstroke due to dehydration. In a sea of throbbing bodies, it can be hard to notice someone who is in trouble or find somebody to help you in time.

Thought I might list younger tourist deaths on Ibiza 2015, but there are waaaaaaay too many!

Figures for "minimal death rate" and their comparison to Thailand would be nice, otherwise I believe your claim is what is known as "anecdotal".

Never mentioned the britsh police I mentioned the british coroner inquest, a difference there. I'm sure they will take into account all evidence you have pointed out as well as the all the rest right? Oh I dont think that was him doing a balancing act in a facebook post but a friend of his so the inquest may ignore that particular piece of evidence.

You're right, there is no photo of him balancing precariously on a banister with a large drop below, that is only his friend, his own facebook pages rather just make frequent references to his getting out of it on drugs with warnings from his loved ones

Seems to me this young man was 'enjoying life to the full'. I remember those days back in the long distant past and sometimes wonder how I survived. Let's wait for more information before we jump to conclusions. If his reported Facebook posts are anything to go by, it may well prove to be 'natural' causes. RIP.

If he was, as indicated on his FB page, having a bender, and it was related to the drug concoction mentioned, then one would hardly relate his death to natural causes.

This could be easily proven - or disproven by proper forensic investigation

but what should we think it the country's most recognized forensic scientist would be bypassed again?

Archived