British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

If you look on his (Luke Miller) facebook page you will see he was travelling with his mate James Gissing. If you go to James' page you will see a picture posted of himself two days ago which says it all : living on the edge....

PS I'm not posting any links or the actual pictures.

Says it all.........what are you insinuating? Its his own fault? Instead of taking one photo out of context take a look at the bigger picture and head to Nichola Gissing facebook page where you'll see the other photos of a normal fun filled holiday that has been cut short tragically and until we have further information from the media which locally is being remarkably quiet on this, I think we should not make assumptons of his lifestyle as being the cause of this.

They may be good lads 99% of the time,but it only takes one act of stupidity,showing off,macho man style and it's all over.

I agree that some people can showboat but there is usually an audience otherwise what's the point

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Head injury plus cuts to the face. Is there positive evidence he climbed onto the booth and jumped? If not could be injuries suffered in an assault.

It must be conspiracy month. Young people do stupid things on holiday and sometimes it ends in death

Not really. I just think it's too early to state it was categorically an accident with no witnesses, no cctv, no autopsy and no forensic results from the crime scene.

There seems to be a surprising lack of details on this incident.

At 27 one would not suspect a health incident.

Sad.

Why NOT?

Because it is much less likely in a young man than say a 60 year old overweight smoker.

Surprised you need to ask.

And you studied medicine where? And you have been practising for how long? I have read some non-sensical posts on here in the 12 or so pages now but yours is up near the top. You, like the rest of us, have absolutely no idea, yet you want to ask another poster why he had the need to ask. I would too, given what hasn't been divulged at this time, yet you make a statement with out any basis whatsoever. I'd suggest you do some research before posting and you will see just how many young people do have medical conditions, some ever more severe than the example you have given

Instead of talking out of your glass, you need to do some research which will show you that the mortality rates for males in this lad's age group are by far the lowest in the UK and lends credence to the post you criticized blindly. There is this new invention called Google, try using it.

Death Island strikes again

The island did nothing,it was death by stupidity.

Well, then Louse,

How do you explain another poster who stated of the thousands of tourists who visit his city of Chiang Rai none have died mysteriously compared to several recently on the smallish island of Koh Tao

I'll take it further for you. The largest group of Toursists in Thailand are Chinese. apart from road accidents none of them die mysteriously, why ? Because they do not go in numbers to Koh Tao, Yes sir it is the island factor apparently now called the " Island of death" Avoid Koh Tao for long life.

check the b-wire for blood or tissue

That is very sensible if you actually had a forensic crime scene investigator there that you could trust - like someone from the CIFS who are attached to the ministry of justice, I'll wager that they would never be invited or allowed to set foot on Koh Tao because they have no agenda and cannot be influenced by locals

Now ask yourself this: why diving from the roof of that dj boot surrounded by barbed wire instead of from the spring board???

I assume he was found in THAT pool, correct me if I am wrong!

The DJ roof is higher than the springboard and he may have wanted to dive off from the highest place .

Also the DJ roof seems to have some downward dents at the edge, which is consistent with people jumping off from it

Well, then Louse,

How do you explain another poster who stated of the thousands of tourists who visit his city of Chiang Rai none have died mysteriously compared to several recently on the smallish island of Koh Tao

I'll take it further for you. The largest group of Toursists in Thailand are Chinese. apart from road accidents none of them die mysteriously, why ? Because they do not go in numbers to Koh Tao, Yes sir it is the island factor apparently now called the " Island of death" Avoid Koh Tao for long life.

Nonsense statistics. You can't compare the Chinese tourists to the "western" party animals and thrill seekers that venture to Koh Pangan andKoh Tao.

Head injury plus cuts to the face. Is there positive evidence he climbed onto the booth and jumped? If not could be injuries suffered in an assault.

Usually with this type of hooning, like climbing onto things and jumping into pools is not done alone, who would you be trying to impress or have fun with going solo.

So, who was with him when this happened, the absence of anyone being present is suspicious.

There is no party scene in CR . Drugs arent freely available and consumed .

Travelers to CR are mainly the backpacker set, rather than the party set

There is just a handful of bars there , which close at midnight and they are quiet bars, not rowdy places

We have one post from maria miller that needs to be verified, The first news report confirmed they have CCTV footage of the accident.

If what you say is true please contact the British embassy and media .

Better the media than the British Embassy. They are not interested in helping their own citizens who get into trouble, or wind up dead in Thailand.

Krenjai, on 09 Jan 2016 - 18:34, said:
maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 18:12, said:

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

First of all my deep condolences........and oh my God, here we go again, another murder in Koh Tao!?

Especially as Luke was last seen alive in the AC bar at 1:00am by the group of friends he was with. I'm told they them left him to go to bed and he stayed behind in the bar for a quiet drink alone.

And then he decides to climb on a DJ booth of a hotel he wasn't even staying in to dive into a pool and nobody saw this? You said AC bar????

complete BS...AC bar closed down a long time ago.

complete BS...AC bar closed down a long time ago.

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

First of all my deep condolences........and oh my God, here we go again, another murder in Koh Tao!?

Especially as Luke was last seen alive in the AC bar at 1:00am by the group of friends he was with. I'm told they them left him to go to bed and he stayed behind in the bar for a quiet drink alone.

And then he decides to climb on a DJ booth of a hotel he wasn't even staying in to dive into a pool and nobody saw this? You said AC bar????

My condolences, She said Sunset Bar, no cctv footage , and where was everyone when this happened? I just posted that point above very suspicious that you climb up onto a roof to dive into a pool which is not at the complex you were staying at and jump alone very very suspicious.

Bruises on the arms, is that no sign of a struggle???

If Maria's post is ver batim then the international media needs to be brought up to speed and the family need to pressure the police and government.

I guess that whoever was with him at Sunset bar--- his friends?? may throw some light on this.

Suspicion also that when his death was first reported that no details were released, maybe cleanup time, but of course I base this only on what Maria is meant to have said.

Geez...There had to be some witnesses to that "said" to have happened event.

If so, you would think that would have been mentioned as it is a pretty basic question when investigating the death of anyone.

Any witnesses?

The Police have said : “He must have climbed to the roof of a [nearby] DJ booth, jumped off, and his head hit the swimming pool floor, killing him,” Napha said. He identified the deceased as a 26-year-old tourist from the United Kingdom.
Any Witnesses to this event from any number of other people who would or could be around the pool at the time of said to be event.
If not, then what lead the police officer to believe the young man climbed to the roof of a nearby DJ booth and dived into the pool from that elevated location
Any witnesses?

Yes people do go swimming alone and if that was the case then yes he would not be the first person to be alone in a swimming pool area and dive into the swimming pool and whack or crack his head hard enough to make him unconscious and drown.

If alone, then yes ..you can drown easy enough...but if there were other people around the pool then there is a good chance someone would have noticed or while watching, the said to be antics of someone diving or jumping from an elevated location somewhere around the pool, and come to their aid if and when they do not surface in a reasonable amount of time or come up floating and unconscious.

Is there water in his lungs??

A basic autopsy will reveal that as such.

I guess the police were interrupted from their "usual" routines and just want to get back to their usual routines as fast as possible and gladly ignore the incident ...that is until some pesky person or persons asks them to explain the known details and circumstances surrounding the mans death.

As in: Did you even bother to ask any of the obvious questions and make informed judgment as to what lead up to the mans death.

As we do not know yet we are all waiting for the pertinent information

Cheers

Well, then Louse,

its only the TV arm chair detectives that call it death island, the island is great and its rammed at the moment, full of tourists drinking and spending their cash enjoying themselves...you should try it!

as for the Chinese....well, they do goto KOH TAO in numbers...vast numbers and they quite often drown while snorkelling because they cannot swim....

SunsetT, on 09 Jan 2016 - 03:40, said:
monk213, on 09 Jan 2016 - 03:18, said:
SunsetT, on 09 Jan 2016 - 03:12, said:
joshstiles, on 09 Jan 2016 - 02:49, said:

it is obviously death by stupidity for coming here

I must agree that anyone who now visits Koh Tao, especially Brits of this age group, really does need their head examined.........That is before they are murdered, not after!

As much as I do agree that staying away from that island and many many other islands in this country is a good idea, it is a bit silly to go on assuming he was murdered at this stage. It could be due to ANYTHING. He is the same age and nationality as me, yet due to reading through his FB posts and the 'report' he does not have the knowledge or caution that I have gained over the years being here. This could be all too innocent, tragic none the less, but still an innocent death. RIP fella

Actually I am not assuming anything at this stage............Just making a general point..................Im very similar to u with the 'knowledge and caution', but the case of poor Hannah and David's murders has been all over the British media, so even if they were too busy living life to the full and missed it themselves, I cant believe that no friends or family brought it to their attention and warned them of Koh Tao.

When British schools take their teenaged pupils on an educational trip to Thailand and include Koh Tao in the itinerary AFTER the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller, you have to wonder at the mentality of the British. This is a true story by the way, a young relative of ours went on such a trip last summer. I tried to warn his parents of the dangers of the party bars but they did not seem particularly bothered sad.png .

Well, we all know the police on Dark Tao are not only extremely talented, but also uncompromising in their integrity, and never, ever jump to conclusions. Their detective work is rivaled only by Scotland Yard, and there are no locals that have any sway whatsoever over the local police.

From the Khaosod report it appears his body was found Friday morning.

If the story is true I would have expected the guy to be showing off to at least one person but it seems he was all alone - very strange. And why dive and not just jump?

All we have in truth is a body in the pool with presumably evidence of a blow to the head and some cuts on his face. I wonder what the cuts look like. Same as David Miller's?

Not really that strange and why would you expect that he was showing off? Especially given as you say it seems he was alone. In a heavily intoxicated state people do the strangest things. It's also the case that a lot of people sleep walk under the influence. I used to do so regularly, often waking up to find myself taking a leak in the wardrobe or some other unlikely place; until one night under the influence of alcohol, grass and various other recreational substances, I got up in the night and walked out of an unbarred full length window in a converted UK mill house. Presumably wandering around asleep on my feet, trying to find somewhere to take a leak I stepped out to a 20 foot drop onto granite flagstones. Milkman found me on the floor unconscious at 5am. I was lucky to survive it with a smashed pelvis, broken wrist and nose. But I guess you're already thinking maybe somebody dragged me out of bed and threw me out of the window while I was asleep to make it look like suicide, right? I think there has actually been a case where someone successfully legally defended murdering another person whilst sleepwalking - so it is a recognised condition.

I understand that someone dying of misadventure on Koh Tao is rather disappointing in terms of sustaining the ongoing hysteria amongst the armchair detectives here on TV, but really.... what is already known here overwhelmingly suggests nothing more than misadventure with alcohol and drugs as contributing factors.

OK.....Feasible..............His friends and family will know and report, Im sure, if he was a sleepwalker, or extreme sleepwalker like yourself.

Did you ever perform anything more physical than walking, opening doors, and pissing? Wouldnt the attention and concentration required for a difficult climb and barbed wire cutting your face have woken you up?

Arrowsdawdle

Quote.

"Instead of talking out of your glass, you need to do some research which will show you that the mortality rates for males in this lad's age group are by far the lowest in the UK and lends credence to the post you criticized blindly. There is this new invention called Google, try using it."

If you're suggesting I drink, wrong, I don't. I also know how to use Google and don't need to do so in order to state that many young people do have medical conditions. If you want to quote statistics, then may I suggest you follow your own advise as I'm not the one who needs a lesson in statistics, especially in relation UK males of the same age, absolutely no relevance, and if you think that it lends credence to his post then I think you're sadly mistaken. As I said, he knows no more than anyone on here does so he is purely speculating when suggesting that no one would suspect a health problem because of his age, 27.

I made no comparisons or mentioned mortality rates, so what is the point that you're trying to make, that young males don't have medical conditions and that some, as I stated, can be more severe than those possibly suffered by fat old smokers. And as far as not suspecting a health issue at 27, the questions is why not, anything and everything is possible and must be taken into account when looking into a death. But if you disagree then fine, that's up to you but don't say that I criticised blindly, as given what you have posted I would say if the cap fits.

WHAT???? Oh no! I feel sick reading this.............

We have one post from maria miller that needs to be verified, The first news report confirmed they have CCTV footage of the accident.

Which news report? link please?

maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 17:12, said:

If this is genuine please can you put the same on your Facebook page

I cant put the above on fb as some family members arent taking it so well. We are getting in contact with richard head as advised. Waiting for police report due on monday. Any other useful info then please let me know via email. <<<<Email removed>>>>

....So very very sorry Maria for your tragic loss.

islandlover I suggest u PM Maria on Facebook.........Go through him Maria, he was and still is supporting justice for the B2 all the way. Others contacting you on here may not be so trustworthy.

Better the media than the British Embassy. They are not interested in helping their own citizens who get into trouble, or wind up dead in Thailand.

'The Embassy ain't doing nuffink' rolls off the tongue a little too easily in the absence of hourly news updates that Joe public mistakenly believe they are entitled simply because they too hold passports and have access to social media.

Curiously the same people rarely bother to look at the warnings that are published for their benefit; or perhaps not until 10 minutes after they or a friend/travel companion needed the information....

'The Embassy ain't doing nuffink' rolls off the tongue a little too easily in the absence of hourly news updates that Joe public mistakenly believe they are entitled simply because they too hold passports and have access to social media.

Curiously the same people rarely bother to look at the warnings that are published for their benefit; or perhaps not until 10 minutes after they or a friend/travel companion needed the information....

Unfortunately, the (British) embassy is a bit like a cheap insurance policy that sits quietly, and inoffensively in the background. When you actually need to call on it, it fails to meet your expectations.

(always read the small print - before an event).

Archived