British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

Case solved then, the police already know what happened.

No witnesses to this, an assumption that he climbed onto a DJ booth because of similar wounds on his face that look similar to barbed wire which is apparently around the dj booth.

Another assumption he was heavily drunk because of cctv images but then a not sure about that so waiting for the autopsy from Surit Thani where ever that is, the mainland I believe.

So current story, he goes back to the resort alone drunk, climbs a dj booth that is protected by barbed wire then jumps off and slams his face into the swimming pool killing him all for the sake of what? No one there to show off his climbing and diving skills. Strange but could also be true.

Is a Thai autopsy fairly credible and accurate?

I hope the Brits will carry out an inquest on this.

Indeed, the British police must certainly carry out a inquest, reviewing all the previous evidence- facebook photos of balancing on thin banister rails with a large drop below, references to heroin and other drugs.

Never mentioned the britsh police I mentioned the british coroner inquest, a difference there. I'm sure they will take into account all evidence you have pointed out as well as the all the rest right? Oh I dont think that was him doing a balancing act in a facebook post but a friend of his so the inquest may ignore that particular piece of evidence.

You're right, there is no photo of him balancing precariously on a banister with a large drop below, that is only his friend, his own facebook pages rather just make frequent references to his getting out of it on drugs with warnings from his loved ones

Well done you got one bit right then. Lets see if the inquest takes into account your observations. Along with more material evidence that may actually reveal what happened.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to me this young man was 'enjoying life to the full'. I remember those days back in the long distant past and sometimes wonder how I survived. Let's wait for more information before we jump to conclusions. If his reported Facebook posts are anything to go by, it may well prove to be 'natural' causes. RIP.

If he was, as indicated on his FB page, having a bender, and it was related to the drug concoction mentioned, then one would hardly relate his death to natural causes.

This could be easily proven - or disproven by proper forensic investigation

but what should we think it the country's most recognized forensic scientist would be bypassed again?

Koh Tao conspirators, please give up in this case, you are only making fools of yourselves- the evidence this man died due to his own stupidity is overwhelming, your attempts to make the authorities seem incompetent or involved in a conspiracy will only cast suspicion on your arguments regarding the Koh Tao murders of Hannah and David.

Please admit sometimes young Englishmen can be very stupid- i should know, I was one once, but I survived.

Sadly with so little information I am not surprised some people are highly suspicious of a cover up, it seems this happened well over 12 hours ago... yet no one knows if he was found dead in his room, the sea, where I would have thought that some people would have heard some rumours by now other than a FB account of someone who may be the deceased.

Chances are this was an accident or self inflicted...

Most likely. However I wouldn't exclude the possibility that the lad was doing some sort of his own 'undercover' investigation. Asking too many questions can get you killed in some parts of the world. Anyway deceased young man shared the surname with more 'famous' victim David Miller. In any case another waste of life. We can blame it on Koh Tao death island, but there are plenty of our tour operators/travel agencies which keep advertising and selling packages for Koh Tao as some sort of paradise holiday for youngsters. At the end of the day, it's all about money. Neither Thais nor our governments care much about lost lives.

interesting idea .. what about the young woman who unexpectedly died in Koh Tao last year from a cold or something like that?

No witnesses to this, an assumption that he climbed onto a DJ booth because of similar wounds on his face that look similar to barbed wire which is apparently around the dj booth.

Another assumption he was heavily drunk because of cctv images but then a not sure about that so waiting for the autopsy from Surit Thani where ever that is, the mainland I believe.

So current story, he goes back to the resort alone drunk, climbs a dj booth that is protected by barbed wire then jumps off and slams his face into the swimming pool killing him all for the sake of what? No one there to show off his climbing and diving skills. Strange but could also be true.

I hope the Brits will carry out an inquest on this

The article does not explicitly say that there were no witnesses. But could also be true.

If the Brits do carry out an inquest I hope it will be before 2018. The Hannah Witheridge inquest has also not yet taken place.

sz1a, on 09 Jan 2016 - 20:07, said:

I'll bet they'll call it a suicide unless of course they find cigarette butts on the scene.

The cause of death is pretty much sure and you make this comment, get a life.

"The cause of death is pretty much sure " ???

pretty much sure? It is jsut what the police claim

Although at first I found the RTP story plausible, I now doubt the whole thing because there are NO WITNESSES! This rings alarm bells!

• What do his drinking buddies / holiday partners have to say about this?
  • Was he out drinking alone?
  • Do you pull off such a stunt by yourself or with your buddies to impress them?
  • Why did he dive? I mean wouldn't you jump if you were totally pissed?
  • So he hit the bottom of the pool, head first?
  • And what about those cuts? From barbed wire near that booth?
  • So he cut himself in his face and still continued climbing up the booth?
  • Was he found in the morning?
  • Was he not missed by his buddies?

Yes, it is all possible but I want to hear from a witness....

I hope the Brits will carry out an inquest on this

The article does not explicitly say that there were no witnesses. But could also be true.

If the Brits do carry out an inquest I hope it will be before 2018. The Hannah Witheridge inquest has also not yet taken place.

Once the body is returned then a further autopsy and then an inquest after the Thai authorities have sent their copy of the autopsy to the Brits. Seeing as theres no court case on this in Thailand which has delayed the inquest on HW then it should not take anywhere near as long but could still be months away. The Brits Nick Pearson Open Verdict decision was about a year after his death in Koh Tao.

As for no witnesses, well if it was the cleaners that found him then one presumes if there were witnesses they would have alerted somebody first and not just left him in the pool, unless they had something to hide.

It is just a story - no proof, no witness

where is proof that the face injuries came from the barbed wire?

where is the proof that he jumped from the dj booth?

where is the proof that he was drunk?

What about PROPER forensics? - then tell your story, it might be more believable

just a story told by police - could be wrong could be true

another RTP story

dejavu?

I hope the Brits will carry out an inquest on this.

Seems remarkably similar to Nick Pearson,Nick went rock climbing alone in the middle of the night, fell down a cliff all by himself, mortally wounded he dragged his own body to almost the same pool of water David Miller was found in.at an earlier date, the only difference in Nick's case is that his parents, who were on Koh Tao with him staunchly believe he was murdered, the police ruled suicide, again!

People who organise these events have a "duty of care"...

Given the event, and drink was freely available, I certainty feel the organisers should be held accountable...

• did they conduct a risk assessment?
  • if there was barbed wire to prevent revealers climbing up on top of the DJ hut, who checked it as being fit for purpose?
  • when was it last checked?
  • was the victim the only person "tombstoning into the pool"?
  • what actions were taken by the management to stop it?
  • was the DJ or other members of staff encouraging it?

Given the event, and drink was freely available, I certainty feel the organisers should be held accountable...

• if there was barbed wire to prevent revealers climbing up on top of the DJ hut, who checked it as being fit for purpose?

What event? Free drinks? Where?

What is a revealer? Someone who reveals the truth? Like a koh Tao truther? Why would they want to climb on top of the hut?

From the Khaosod report it appears his body was found Friday morning.

If the story is true I would have expected the guy to be showing off to at least one person but it seems he was all alone - very strange. And why dive and not just jump?

All we have in truth is a body in the pool with presumably evidence of a blow to the head and some cuts on his face. I wonder what the cuts look like. Same as David Miller's?

Not really that strange and why would you expect that he was showing off? Especially given as you say it seems he was alone. In a heavily intoxicated state people do the strangest things. It's also the case that a lot of people sleep walk under the influence. I used to do so regularly, often waking up to find myself taking a leak in the wardrobe or some other unlikely place; until one night under the influence of alcohol, grass and various other recreational substances, I got up in the night and walked out of an unbarred full length window in a converted UK mill house. Presumably wandering around asleep on my feet, trying to find somewhere to take a leak I stepped out to a 20 foot drop onto granite flagstones. Milkman found me on the floor unconscious at 5am. I was lucky to survive it with a smashed pelvis, broken wrist and nose. But I guess you're already thinking maybe somebody dragged me out of bed and threw me out of the window while I was asleep to make it look like suicide, right? I think there has actually been a case where someone successfully legally defended murdering another person whilst sleepwalking - so it is a recognised condition.

I understand that someone dying of misadventure on Koh Tao is rather disappointing in terms of sustaining the ongoing hysteria amongst the armchair detectives here on TV, but really.... what is already known here overwhelmingly suggests nothing more than misadventure with alcohol and drugs as contributing factors.

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

First of all my deep condolences........and oh my God, here we go again, another murder in Koh Tao!?

I would recommend you to send this message to Jonathan Head. Or maybe better even to CSiLA.

Unfortunately, the ready access to drugs on this island could have led this unfortunate to overdose (see FB page for details of his NY bender). About time the junta clamp down hard once and for all.

Being realistic, I guess these mafia run businesses which generate billions of baht are untouchable. Where is a Thai Eliot Ness, when you need him?

I am going to admit I haven't visited his FB page because I don't really wish to see a dead guys page who has passed so recently, but I have heard he had been using mushrooms, you cannot overdose in a deadly way on mushrooms if they are actually non-toxic, and those shakes aren't as they are often P.Cubensis. Was there other usage of drugs on his page?

Indeed psilocybin, the active ingredient in Magic 'shrooms will not kill you per se. However the effects, amongst others, include hallucinations and loss of perception of distance. That, coupled with large amounts of alchohol (which can kill you) and also likely due to being in-acclimatized and dehydrated - which in itself causes brain function abnormalities, would lead to a very high risk of making reckless decisions.

In a holiday situation a possible scenario would be taking an over enthusiastic dive into the shallow end of a swimming pool late at night, knocking oneself unconscious and drowning. Maybe even just walking around the pool on unsteady feet and slipping in with a crack on the head on the way. There but for the grace of God go I!

Nobody knows exactly what has happened here, but from what is known from the young man's own writing, it is highly likely that drugs and alcohol would have been a contributing factor.

Edit: Just seen that whilst composing the above it would appear that diving into the pool was exactly what happened..

Yeah I am fully aware and well acquainted with psilocybin and other molecules alike, but I was simply referring to a direct cause of death due to it. That is basically impossible, but as you illustrated an indirect cause mixed with other substances is a very real and probable cause.

asiamaster, on 09 Jan 2016 - 18:06, said:
Basil B, on 09 Jan 2016 - 17:33, said:

What event? Free drinks? Where?

What is a revealer? Someone who reveals the truth? Like a koh Tao truther? Why would they want to climb on top of the hut?

Not quite a Freudian Slip. I think the poster means "revellers".

maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 17:12, said:

If this is genuine please can you put the same on your Facebook page

She has heard that the best private investigators are to be found here on this forum. She does not trust the Thai police, not even the UK authorities and certainly not the media. She wants the Thaivisa forum's finest to work on this case!

Krenjai, on 09 Jan 2016 - 18:34, said:
maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 18:12, said:

First of all my deep condolences........and oh my God, here we go again, another murder in Koh Tao!?

Especially as Luke was last seen alive in the AC bar at 1:00am by the group of friends he was with. I'm told they them left him to go to bed and he stayed behind in the bar for a quiet drink alone.

Especially as Luke was last seen alive in the AC bar at 1:00am by the group of friends he was with. I'm told they them left him to go to bed and he stayed behind in the bar for a quiet drink alone.

And then he decides to climb on a DJ booth of a hotel he wasn't even staying in to dive into a pool and nobody saw this? You said AC bar????

We have one post from maria miller that needs to be verified, The first news report confirmed they have CCTV footage of the accident.

If what you say is true please contact the British embassy and media .

I cant put the above on fb as some family members arent taking it so well. We are getting in contact with richard head as advised. Waiting for police report due on monday. Any other useful info then please let me know via email. <<<<Email removed>>>>

Are you able to shed any more light on this please? My email is <<<<Email removed>>>>

Luke wasnt found there he was found at sunset bar. Where is it in relation to ac bar?

I cant put the above on fb as some family members arent taking it so well. We are getting in contact with richard head as advised. Waiting for police report due on monday. Any other useful info then please let me know via email. <<<<Email removed>>>>

I smell BS

You could just put this on your fb page then: "Hi Mises"

Archived