British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

Case solved then, the police already know what happened.

No witnesses to this, an assumption that he climbed onto a DJ booth because of similar wounds on his face that look similar to barbed wire which is apparently around the dj booth.

Another assumption he was heavily drunk because of cctv images but then a not sure about that so waiting for the autopsy from Surit Thani where ever that is, the mainland I believe.

So current story, he goes back to the resort alone drunk, climbs a dj booth that is protected by barbed wire then jumps off and slams his face into the swimming pool killing him all for the sake of what? No one there to show off his climbing and diving skills. Strange but could also be true.

Is a Thai autopsy fairly credible and accurate?

I hope the Brits will carry out an inquest on this.

Surat Thani is both the Thailand Province in which Koh Tao is a part,

and also the provincial capital city that is it's main governmental center.

There are 77 provinces in Thailand, this is one of the southern ones,

but not the ones in the deep south where m,muslim insurgents regularly make attacks.

I have actually met Surat Thani's CSI team, and they know their job and take it seriously and scientifically.

That said, they do NOT have the equipment they want, and have to defer to Bangkok for many things,

and candidly acknowledge that politics does take a hand in the final reports final form.

M just curious but how does meeting someone before give you the expertise to know if that CSI team know their job and take it seriously and scientifically? You are an expert at this and know this team to such an extent? You know them so well you can act as witness and state for sure they are above reproach and have never taken bribes as well? You were a CSI expert before and can state they are well trained and don't make mistakes? If not, then you should retract your post because it is rubbish

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 17:12, said:

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

If this is genuine please can you put the same on your Facebook page

I cant put the above on fb as some family members arent taking it so well. We are getting in contact with richard head as advised. Waiting for police report due on monday. Any other useful info then please let me know via email. <<<<Email removed>>>>

....So very very sorry Maria for your tragic loss.

islandlover I suggest u PM Maria on Facebook.........Go through him Maria, he was and still is supporting justice for the B2 all the way. Others contacting you on here may not be so trustworthy.

Very sorry for your tragic loss, just looked on FB and nothing about this, best maybe to contact British media,if what your saying is correct then stand fast, NZ parents took this stance with Thai Police over their sons murder in Pattaya and demanded investigation that revealed the killer (who was walking scott free) and the motives ,stay strong and I hope the truth and Justice will prevail, best wishes to you.

I bet everybody's looking for the barb wire now. Could be some to be fair but the pic is a little unclear.

Assuming of course this is the swimming pool in question? Because some articles were mentioning "hotel swimming pool" rather than bar swimming pool?

I agree with your comment, so a bit clearer picture:

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1934728_1689989134551283_7314562691152507477_n.jpg?oh=11d8f797faaca38ecc296bbb267241fb&oe=57008367

Now ask yourself this: why diving from the roof of that dj boot surrounded by barbed wire instead of from the spring board???

I assume he was found in THAT pool, correct me if I am wrong!

Don't you read.He had been drinking and on a 2 day mushy bender.

Just to get it straight:

I am not aware of any proof that he even was on that roof. It is just a claim of RTP. No witness

Don't be deluded

RIP

was probably an accident of some sort. Drowning maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the total assumptions with no basis starts....

He jumped from a dj booth into a pool will pissed and hit his head on the bottom.The above is a fair assumption,i would say.

Correct.. it is a fair assumption, but lets correct this with dived...not jumped....and it must happened way after closing time which is 2.00am. That place is still very busy at that hour, so i assume his dive happened at 04.00? 05.00? Nobody saw it, nobody heard it. Yes it is a fair assumption, even with a spring board next to the booth (on the right where the water is deep enough).

Even though Im deeply suspicious as the murderers and police on Koh Tao must now think they are fireproof, I must admit that accidental death as claimed is feasible. Believe me, after seeing the photo, the DJ booth roof in the photo would be crying out for a tombstone to someone full of youthful exhuberance and pumped up on drink and drugs after a great night out. I know because I did something equally stupid when just 21yrs old in Barbados. After a great night out with my 'shipmates' celebrating sailing the Atlantic and high on my 1st visit to the Tropics + excess rum + excess grass, in pure exhuberance after swimming back to the yacht, I started to climb the 90' main mast with the intention of diving off the top spreaders into the warm and inviting Caribbean sea. The swaying mast led me stop on the lower spreaders and I can still clearly remember becoming acutely aware of the danger of hitting the deck if I miss-timed my dive with the sway. After what seemed like an eternity of nervous hesitation with friends trying to dissuade me from below, I did eventually jump, not dive, from the lower spreaders, and survived unscathed successfully clearing the side of the yacht.

I think the clear temptation of tombstoning from that roof is why barbed wire was there, (if it was/is) and I bet that it is/was well known on the island for young farangs tombstoning and among young visitors who stay a while on Koh Tao. On the other hand, this knowledge by locals, would make it ideal as an alibi for a murder if indeed one were needed.

After the events on koh Tao over the last couple of years or so, when an event like this occurs, it is sad to note how everyone, the media, the general public etc. immediately wait to see what the police are going to say on the matter. This is surely an indicator of the low esteem the local police are now held in the eyes of the public.

basically they have lost any credibility and respect that they may have had. there needs to be a complete shake-up/down from top to bottom.

Where are all the Under 30 Digital Nomads telling us "old guys" living in "3000B/month" fan rooms how jealous we are of this guy?

Because he could afford a hotel room with a swimming pool?

Yes sir, this young feller really knew how to live....

Complete and utter diatribe which has no relevance to the thread topic.

Haven't you something better to do with your time on a Sunday morning.

None of his posts, anywhere, have relevance.

Only reason i read them is out of morbid curiosity to try to figure out where he is going...........................blink.png

Death Island strikes again

If you'd read the linked report, you will see that a pissed up young guy actually struck 'Death Island'. Well, one of it's swimming pool floors anyway, after having dove from a booth into it, lacerating his face with barbed wire on the way down. Some people shouldn't be given passports .. coffee1.gif

After the events on koh Tao over the last couple of years or so, when an event like this occurs, it is sad to note how everyone, the media, the general public etc. immediately wait to see what the police are going to say on the matter. This is surely an indicator of the low esteem the local police are now held in the eyes of the public.

basically they have lost any credibility and respect that they may have had. there needs to be a complete shake-up/down from top to bottom.

I fail to see that if this was the pool, and it is a bar pool that no one else was there when he jumped, Plausable but seems unlikely I believe that there is much more to surface in this case, one of the most obvious one,s would be a motive if foul play was involved, no wittness no motive, Police did not reveal any detail in the first media releases, very very suspicious.

I would also like to know who owns the bar??? anyone throw light on that??

Aparently no CCTV footage available as Maria Millier posted either wiped or cameras were not in use.

If this was the location then did the owners just turn the lights out leaving him there and go home.unoticed.

Interesting , there is a picture on Sunset pool and beach bar clearly showing that the iron is bent down at the front so has been like that a long time.

And from the web sites pictures I find it almost impossible to believe that he could have been alone there as it,s a party animal bar, so again where were the owners??? Oh they did not notice a falaang was still outside so locked up and went home, then this man hallucinating that the party was still raging decided to climb up on the roof and jump into a pool that looks only 4 foot deep.

SunsetT, on 09 Jan 2016 - 03:40, said:

monk213, on 09 Jan 2016 - 03:18, said:

SunsetT, on 09 Jan 2016 - 03:12, said:

joshstiles, on 09 Jan 2016 - 02:49, said:

it is obviously death by stupidity for coming here

I must agree that anyone who now visits Koh Tao, especially Brits of this age group, really does need their head examined.........That is before they are murdered, not after!

As much as I do agree that staying away from that island and many many other islands in this country is a good idea, it is a bit silly to go on assuming he was murdered at this stage. It could be due to ANYTHING. He is the same age and nationality as me, yet due to reading through his FB posts and the 'report' he does not have the knowledge or caution that I have gained over the years being here. This could be all too innocent, tragic none the less, but still an innocent death. RIP fella

Actually I am not assuming anything at this stage............Just making a general point..................Im very similar to u with the 'knowledge and caution', but the case of poor Hannah and David's murders has been all over the British media, so even if they were too busy living life to the full and missed it themselves, I cant believe that no friends or family brought it to their attention and warned them of Koh Tao.

When British schools take their teenaged pupils on an educational trip to Thailand and include Koh Tao in the itinerary AFTER the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller, you have to wonder at the mentality of the British. This is a true story by the way, a young relative of ours went on such a trip last summer. I tried to warn his parents of the dangers of the party bars but they did not seem particularly bothered sad.png .

Was she murdered?

Until the medical examiner says there is severe blunt force trauma to the TOP of the head I will not believe a word the police say. They mention cuts to his face possibly from barbed-wire, but nothing about the top of his head which is where you would expect to find trauma from someone diving in head first and hitting the bottom of the pool as they speculate with their uncanny ability to wrap up investigation in the blink of an eye.

... maybe he didn't dive ... maybe he slipped, did you notice the overhanging sheet metal roofing that is unsupported at the edge facing the pool .... he might have hit the side of his head ... a knock to the temple can end in death for example .... after and mushroom trips you can suffer flashbacks for months ... been there ... had a girl friend once who took mushrooms and jumped out of a second story window ... she died RIP dear Dierdre ... and RIP David Miller

When British schools take their teenaged pupils on an educational trip to Thailand and include Koh Tao in the itinerary AFTER the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller, you have to wonder at the mentality of the British. This is a true story by the way, a young relative of ours went on such a trip last summer. I tried to warn his parents of the dangers of the party bars but they did not seem particularly bothered sad.png .

Unbelievable! .....Work to be done.

Sunset facebook site is interesting, Maria Miller has posted on the site , she seems adament that it's foul play , I tend to go along with her.

The place was packed one hour before sunset, the owners dont know what happened ??? where they asleep??

This is very suspicious the absence of wittnesses is getting harder to swallow.

some posters on the site are arguing, someone must have seen something and I think the owners must be deaf and dumb at the least to have not seen a thing.

From this news report, I really do not see how the Police can reasonably conclude that this was not murder. - However, news reports have been known to be misleading, or even downright fictitious (lies). Such is the state of journalism in the U.K. "Popular Press"

The Thai police are clueless I hope the deceased parents have an autopsy carried out in the UK here on Samui Koh Tao has become known as " Death Island " far to many deaths for such a small island. RIP to the young man my thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time !

If you'd read the linked report, you will see that a pissed up young guy actually struck 'Death Island'. Well, one of it's swimming pool floors anyway, after having dove from a booth into it, lacerating his face with barbed wire on the way down. Some people shouldn't be given passports .. coffee1.gif

I'm sorry but in my experience Thai holiday resorts make no effort at all when it comes to health and safety and the result is that stunts like this (if that IS what is was) are just to easy to do in Thailand.

there are 2 aspects to H&S here the first is to ensure the places are safe for the purpose intended - Thailand usually fails here and the second is to design facilities in such a way that horseplay and dangerous behaviour cannot be undertaken in the first place. As a holiday resort the owners/managers are fullt aware that their customers are likely to drink too much and exhibit excessive behaviour - and a such they should take measures to ensure their safety......no chance in Thailand.

My guess is that the vast majority of swimming pools and the surrounding areas would be immediately closed if they were in a European resort.

From this news report, I really do not see how the Police can reasonably conclude that this was not murder. - However, news reports have been known to be misleading, or even downright fictitious (lies). Such is the state of journalism in the U.K. "Popular Press"

if that is your reaction to the press, then how can you mske such a statement without being in posession of the actual facts. To even put such thoughts in writing makes me wonder just what you people who refer to this as murder, are on. You certainly do not have anything to substantiate making such a statment, so why do it?

Can someone put together a comprehensive timeline of all of the foreigner's deaths just on Koh Tao? You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.

Based on what. With (tens of) thousands of active people at any time seems to me the reported death rate is very low. Would expect several a year from accidents, heart attacks, illness, etc

That may well be true in some parts of Thailand however the deaths of younger people in Koh Tao, Samui and Phuket are way above what would be normal.

Young British kids go on booze holidays to Spain in their 100's of thousands and have a minimal death rate.

How long before the police say something and I presume the crime scene is cordoned off with a 24 hours guard.

Why do you say it's a crime scene? What do you know that the police don't know?

I'm sorry but in my experience Thai holiday resorts make no effort at all when it comes to health and safety and the result is that stunts like this (if that IS what is was) are just to easy to do in Thailand.

there are 2 aspects to H&S here the first is to ensure the places are safe for the purpose intended - Thailand usually fails here and the second is to design facilities in such a way that horseplay and dangerous behaviour cannot be undertaken in the first place. As a holiday resort the owners/managers are fullt aware that their customers are likely to drink too much and exhibit excessive behaviour - and a such they should take measures to ensure their safety......no chance in Thailand.

My guess is that the vast majority of swimming pools and the surrounding areas would be immediately closed if they were in a European resort.

So architects are expected to design places that prevent fully grown adults out of their skulls doing any damage to themselves?

Personal responsibility, do parents or schools still teach that in the UK?

It could be possible that when the Mr Miler in question arrived on Ko Tao , its a small island and every local would have been aware of new arrivals , some of the locals may have thought that he was related to David Miller and had come to the island to...........errmmm, seek justice . Same surname, both from UK islands , easily to get mixed up for Thais . He seemed a jovial person, Maybe He even joked with locals about seeking justice for his namesake ? And they took it seriously .

Just a possibility, but one that shouldnt be over looked IMO

So architects are expected to design places that prevent fully grown adults out of their skulls doing any damage to themselves?

Personal responsibility, do parents or schools still teach that in the UK?

"architects"?? - you clearly know absolutely nothing about built design.....because they can and do!

<snip>

Yes, H&S are important. In this case, haven't we read that this person climbed up onto a DO Booth that was surrounded by barbed wire? Isn't the barbed wire an indication to keep off or out for your own good?

Maybe you're saying Thai barbed wire is no good or there should be strong barbed wire over weaker barbed wire on top of other barbed wire.

In the end if someone is determined to go on a frolic of their own, we can just wish them good luck.

Yes, H&S are important. In this case, haven't we read that this person climbed up onto a DO Booth that was surrounded by barbed wire? Isn't the barbed wire an indication to keep off or out for your own good?

Maybe you're saying Thai barbed wire is no good or there should be strong barbed wire over weaker barbed wire on top of other barbed wire.

In the end if someone is determined to go on a frolic of their own, we can just wish them good luck.

So you consider the use of barbed wire a good "safety feature" at a holiday venue???

It could be possible that when the Mr Miler in question arrived on Ko Tao , its a small island and every local would have been aware of new arrivals , some of the locals may have thought that he was related to David Miller and had come to the island to...........errmmm, seek justice . Same surname, both from UK islands , easily to get mixed up for Thais . He seemed a jovial person, Maybe He even joked with locals about seeking justice for his namesake ? And they took it seriously .

Just a possibility, but one that shouldnt be over looked IMO

Best theory yet!:(

Time for medication.

My bet is on misadventure but I could be wrong, owing to a lack of any verified evidence or witness statements or friends statements or anything other than a Rtp speculation about what happened. I think misadventure in all its forms describes this unfortunate death accurately. RIP Luke Miller.

Archived