British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

Death Island strikes again

Can someone put together a comprehensive timeline of all of the foreigner's deaths just on Koh Tao? You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.

Based on what. With (tens of) thousands of active people at any time seems to me the reported death rate is very low. Would expect several a year from accidents, heart attacks, illness, etc

Based on in the last 12-14 months there have been at least 7 mysterious farang deaths there (included the well publicized two). In the same period I lived in Chiang Rai there was not one mysterious death of a foreigner. Look at the populations and do the math. My favorite is the french man who :hung himself" with his hands tied behind his back.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although at first I found the RTP story plausible, I now doubt the whole thing because there are NO WITNESSES! This rings alarm bells!

• What do his drinking buddies / holiday partners have to say about this?
  • Was he out drinking alone?
  • Do you pull off such a stunt by yourself or with your buddies to impress them?
  • Why did he dive? I mean wouldn't you jump if you were totally pissed?
  • So he hit the bottom of the pool, head first?
  • And what about those cuts? From barbed wire near that booth?
  • So he cut himself in his face and still continued climbing up the booth?
  • Was he found in the morning?
  • Was he not missed by his buddies?

Yes, it is all possible but I want to hear from a witness....

nothing plausible about it I'm afraid to say and I agree with everything you have said, if the place has cctv then lets see it, sounds to me more like he got a beating and was left in the pool either dead or he drowned while unconscious ......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The hotel will have cctv cameras all over the place, lets see them, are these people going to allowed to hide - delete evidence again

This is really sick

maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 17:12, said:

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

If this is genuine please can you put the same on your Facebook page

I cant put the above on fb as some family members arent taking it so well. We are getting in contact with richard head as advised. Waiting for police report due on monday. Any other useful info then please let me know via email. <<<<Email removed>>>>

I smell BS

You could just put this on your fb page then: "Hi Mises"

Think what you like, go through fb if you have to check my authenticity as to who i am. Ive left my email address as contact. I just want answers for my brother, things dont add up.

Although at first I found the RTP story plausible, I now doubt the whole thing because there are NO WITNESSES! This rings alarm bells!

• What do his drinking buddies / holiday partners have to say about this?
  • Was he out drinking alone?
  • Do you pull off such a stunt by yourself or with your buddies to impress them?
  • Why did he dive? I mean wouldn't you jump if you were totally pissed?
  • So he hit the bottom of the pool, head first?
  • And what about those cuts? From barbed wire near that booth?
  • So he cut himself in his face and still continued climbing up the booth?
  • Was he found in the morning?
  • Was he not missed by his buddies?

Yes, it is all possible but I want to hear from a witness....

nothing plausible about it I'm afraid to say and I agree with everything you have said, if the place has cctv then lets see it, sounds to me more like he got a beating and was left in the pool either dead or he drowned while unconscious ......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The hotel will have cctv cameras all over the place, lets see them, are these people going to allowed to hide - delete evidence again

This is really sick

These are my questions too! Would it surprise you that the cctv wasnt working/switched off. . .little more than coincidental. Weve already been informed that there was no cctv.

Krenjai, on 09 Jan 2016 - 18:34, said:
maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 18:12, said:

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

First of all my deep condolences........and oh my God, here we go again, another murder in Koh Tao!?

Especially as Luke was last seen alive in the AC bar at 1:00am by the group of friends he was with. I'm told they them left him to go to bed and he stayed behind in the bar for a quiet drink alone.

And then he decides to climb on a DJ booth of a hotel he wasn't even staying in to dive into a pool and nobody saw this? You said AC bar????

Yes, that's correct.

Krenjai, on 09 Jan 2016 - 18:34, said:

maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 18:12, said:

First of all my deep condolences........and oh my God, here we go again, another murder in Koh Tao!?

Especially as Luke was last seen alive in the AC bar at 1:00am by the group of friends he was with. I'm told they them left him to go to bed and he stayed behind in the bar for a quiet drink alone.

Are you able to shed any more light on this please? My email is <<<<Email removed>>>>

Luke wasnt found there he was found at sunset bar. Where is it in relation to ac bar?

Maria, I will send you a private message through this forum. I can put you in touch with someone who may be able to help you.

If he was found at a pool of a hotel he wasn't even staying in, what the hell was he doing there? Did he decide to take a dive there from a DJ booth on his way back to his apartment? C'mon! Where is the CCTV? Koh Tao has CCTV all over the place, somebody must have seen (heard) something.

I would send a personal FB message to CSILA to see if he can come up with something!

Well, not everything in the media is clear especially at these early stages, but according to this one hour ago:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/young-tourist-luke-miller-found-dead-on-same-thai-island-where-backpackers-were-murdered-a3152481.html

"Thai authorities are looking at how the young tourist died, and have said the circumstances of his death are as yet unclear"​

And according to local media:

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/british-national-luke-miller-found-dead-in-koh-tao-swimming-pool.html

"Lt Col Napha Senathip said they believe Mr Miller climbed onto the roof of the booth – cutting his face on barbed wire in the process – before jumping off and hitting his head on the swimming pool floor. Police do not believe any foul play was involved."

Well, not everything in the media is clear especially at these early stages, but according to this one hour ago:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/young-tourist-luke-miller-found-dead-on-same-thai-island-where-backpackers-were-murdered-a3152481.html

"Thai authorities are looking at how the young tourist died, and have said the circumstances of his death are as yet unclear"​

However according to local media:

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/british-national-luke-miller-found-dead-in-koh-tao-swimming-pool.html

"Lt Col Napha Senathip said they believe Mr Miller climbed onto the roof of the booth – cutting his face on barbed wire in the process – before jumping off and hitting his head on the swimming pool floor. Police do not believe any foul play was involved."

no kidding

However according to local media:

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t34.0-12/12483581_717402381728391_1734817776_n.jpg?oh=5d0c0386f8923f1759720f5d452bb4ea&oe=5693EFCD

This is the booth from Sunset Bar.......(copied from their fb)

I bet everybody's looking for the barb wire now. Could be some to be fair but the pic is a little unclear.

Assuming of course this is the swimming pool in question? Because some articles were mentioning "hotel swimming pool" rather than bar swimming pool?

I bet everybody's looking for the barb wire now. Could be some to be fair but the pic is a little unclear.

Assuming of course this is the swimming pool in question? Because some articles were mentioning "hotel swimming pool" rather than bar swimming pool?

I agree with your comment, so a bit clearer picture:

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1934728_1689989134551283_7314562691152507477_n.jpg?oh=11d8f797faaca38ecc296bbb267241fb&oe=57008367

Now ask yourself this: why diving from the roof of that dj boot surrounded by barbed wire instead of from the spring board???

I assume he was found in THAT pool, correct me if I am wrong!

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1934728_1689989134551283_7314562691152507477_n.jpg?oh=11d8f797faaca38ecc296bbb267241fb&oe=57008367

Now ask yourself this: why diving from the roof of that dj boot surrounded by barbed wire instead of from the spring board???

probably thought it was a cool thing to do!

from

http://www.islandecho.co.uk/news/islander-dies-whilst-on-holiday-in-thailand

UPDATE SATURDAY: Police in Thailand have confirmed that 26-year-old Luke Miller was found dead in a hotel swimming pool by cleaning staff after ‘taking a plunge from the top of a nearby DJ booth whilst ‘heavily drunk’.

Thai Police say they believe Mr Miller climbed onto the roof of the booth – cutting his face on barbed wire in the process – before jumping off and hitting his head on the swimming pool floor. Police do not believe any foul play was involved.

Anyone know where this place is in relation to the AC bar?

I think I can see the barb wire yeah.

I'm trying to understand this objectively.

1. Is this the actual place it happened at?

2. Is this Sunset Bar attached to a hotel or something so is this like the hotel's bar and has a swimming pool in the middle. Otherwise some of the media has incorrectly reported it as a "hotel swimming pool" which is also a possibility.

But in all fairness again, not that I am saying it happened like this, I could accept the logic of someone under the influence of either alcohol or other substances to jump from the booth rather than the springboard.

The FB site of the Sunset bar gives you a very good idea of what goes on at these (pool) partys. Doesn't look like a place where nobody saw this!

Check out these pool party pictures! It clearly shows you the pool & DJ boot!

Let me be clear I am still not convinced there has been foul play here, but some things don't match and don't forget this is the Nomsod, Mon & Co. territory where strange things do happen. Despite the horrible loss for his family, these people that are partying there must know what goes on there. Drugs, Alcohol, Rape & Murder. The police will do nothing, we already know that.

In any case this case needs further investigation but I am afraid we will never know what really happened.

RIP

was probably an accident of some sort. Drowning maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the total assumptions with no basis starts....

He jumped from a dj booth into a pool will pissed and hit his head on the bottom.The above is a fair assumption,i would say.

I sure hope this posting does not turn into an opportunity to shed light on all the unsolved murders which happen in Thailand...The PM is reforming the police dept so have patience

Can't we just focus on all the good stuff...the easy visas...and smiling people...the inexpensive costs...the helpful Thais...

Don't even get me started on old fat beer drinking ex-pats that come to Thailand for the young women...

If you feel so bad about those young girls and boys why don't you set up a charity to help them and they can go home and lead productive lives.Until then,going with tourists,expats and locals is the only way they know how to pay the bills.DELETED

RIP

He jumped from a dj booth into a pool will pissed and hit his head on the bottom.The above is a fair assumption,i would say.

Correct.. it is a fair assumption, but lets correct this with dived...not jumped....and it must happened way after closing time which is 2.00am. That place is still very busy at that hour, so i assume his dive happened at 04.00? 05.00? Nobody saw it, nobody heard it. Yes it is a fair assumption, even with a spring board next to the booth (on the right where the water is deep enough).

Actually, if this is proven conclusively not to be a foul play, it diverts attention from the other believed foul play, unfortunately that thread was locked.

I can understand the speculation, I am trying not to draw early conclusions about this.

1. So far we have a new poster that identifies herself as a relative, if that is proven correct we will find out soon enough (it will be in the British media shortly).

2. We have the police making limited statements, which is actually good as someone was saying before, they learned from previous experience. The key (whether you're lying or not) is to shut up and throw the classic line "we cannot comment yet it's under investigation". All professional Police in any country would not comment, here in Thailand they all do because they want to look good and by doing that they dig their own hole.

3. We have someone supposedly under the influence of alcohol or some substances tragically dying in an apparent accident.

So, awaiting further developments.

Thailand used to be a safe and welcoming place for Westerners, but it seems there is a Westerner death every day now, ..in either suspicious circumstances or suicide! How I wish I could go home! ... but Thai wife got all my money and everything I ever had, so I can not even go out for a meal.

Welcome to Thailand!

You are lucky your wife has your money or you would be running amok on KT.She has saved your life.Eating at home is a lot more healthy.

RIP

I'm really not jumping on the conspiracy case here but if there were no witnesses to this how can the police say he was drunk ! Jumped from the booth and cut himself on barbed wire...No way could they have done a post mortem on him yet and as there were no witnesses the rest is either just guess work or the start of something more sinister..Sadly with the RTP having zero credibility when something like this happens, and it was sadly bound too, the doubters of the initial story have some grounds ! RIP young man and heartfelt sympathy to all your family and friends

Maria I recommend you keep your distance with armchair detectives of this forum. They share their idleness that cause them to give notice of pompous about everything and anything as if they were experts.
But they are experts in anything
They have no more information than you.
They criticize her shamelessly Royal Thai Police guilty in their eyes of all evil but the same can be found on the forums of other countries with the same arrogance.
I suggest you contact the real responsible of this investigation declining your status as a representative of the family. I assure you that you will have all known details.
Sincere condolences for your brother who left us much too early ..

Maria I recommend you keep your distance with armchair detectives of this forum. They share their idleness that cause them to give notice of pompous about everything and anything as if they were experts.

But they are experts in anything

They have no more information than you.

They criticize her shamelessly Royal Thai Police guilty in their eyes of all evil but the same can be found on the forums of other countries with the same arrogance.

I suggest you contact the real responsible of this investigation declining your status as a representative of the family. I assure you that you will have all known details.

Sincere condolences for your brother who left us much too early ..

And I recommend you keep,your distance from this young lady too my man...There are many people on this forum who are considerably more intelligent and well versed in situations like this than you are and for sure haven't a vested interest in this Island.. I'm one of those people....The only thing I would agree with you is the condolences you gave to this Lady...Thank you...

Why is this news? People die everywhere - young, old, any nationality. Drugs, alcohol, car accidents, natural causes.

When a poster can produce meaningful data, such as a statistic that indicates a Brit is ten times more likely to die on Koh Tao than on the Thai mainland, I might pay attention. So far, all I see in this thread are fevered imaginations and well-meant condolences for someone not even known to the poster.

I'm Australian, 72. If I die in Chiang Mai, I don't expect headlines.coffee1.gif

Unless you od on viagra and are found stiff,or go off a balcony,but that is more a Pattaya thing.Could be in a mini bus or hit by one,could drown in a waterfall or in the bath.Could die of natural causes and not found for days,therefore speculation you had no friends.Never underestermate TVF to headline and gain your demise and members to speculate how your missus was involved,somehow.Long may you live Baz,i don't want to read those headlines.

Archived