Will self driving cars ever take off in Thailand?

Jingthing

ok.......what happens when the self driver has so many inputs that the computer says it cannot go anywhere safe and if just sits in the middle of the road ?

I do believe they will be a normal thing in 10 years , but only on some roads that have sensors in the road , the their is feedback from the other self drivers on what is around the bend.....

I really do not want to have "it" driving me at 50 mph on a twisty road and a deer jumps out......

Or a big dog followed by a small child, which one do we hit?

Well of course, what it does it stop. Just stop. Everywhere and all the time. Traffic jams for no reason, other than the car doesn't know what to do.

I can't wait!

I also can't wait for "Star in a reasonably priced driverless car" tongue.png

Makes me want to be a kid again throwing water balloons off freeway overpasses...

Because the cars will all be linked and communicating with each other, all the stars (or party leaders) will have VIP chips that will clear traffic for them.

Think about how great it would be for the police to be able to override the controls during car chases, or for the government to implement curfews in emergencies.

Let's not forget the hackers.... ;)

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is wrong with the road systems?

You're joking, right?
No, I'm not joking. While I have driven on better, I have certainly driven on worse.

I think that idea that a self-driving car that will work safely in the US will not work in Thailand (or wherever you think the roads are so much better than in Thailand) is ridiculous.

What might a self-driving car encounter on a Thai road that it would have to be prepared to encounter on a US road?

U-turns on major highways, road markings that make no sense or just lead vehicles into no man's land, no right of way, random ways to mark junctions, police changing traffic lights to deliberately generate fines and random fiddling with one-way systems and other nonsense immediately spring to mind.

There are no U-turns on major highways in the US?

Assuming the cars in Autopia are using a high definition GPS for guidance, what do road markings have to do with whether or not a driverless car is feasible?

Would not right-of-way be programmed in and collision avoidance kick in when people try to beat it?

Besides, in Autopia the cars are all linked together, right-of-way and traffic lights are a thing of the past, everything is timed to maximize traffic flow, correct?

I grew up driving In Southern California, and I have been driving 30,000-60,000 Km a year in Thailand for 15 years. I don't see why it would work in SoCal and not work here.

ok.......what happens when the self driver has so many inputs that the computer says it cannot go anywhere safe and if just sits in the middle of the road ?

I do believe they will be a normal thing in 10 years , but only on some roads that have sensors in the road , the their is feedback from the other self drivers on what is around the bend.....

I really do not want to have "it" driving me at 50 mph on a twisty road and a deer jumps out......

Or a big dog followed by a small child, which one do we hit?

Well of course, what it does it stop. Just stop. Everywhere and all the time. Traffic jams for no reason, other than the car doesn't know what to do.

I can't wait!

I also can't wait for "Star in a reasonably priced driverless car" tongue.png

Makes me want to be a kid again throwing water balloons off freeway overpasses...

Because the cars will all be linked and communicating with each other, all the stars (or party leaders) will have VIP chips that will clear traffic for them.

Think about how great it would be for the police to be able to override the controls during car chases, or for the government to implement curfews in emergencies.

Let's not forget the hackers.... ;)

Just think, instead of uber, you can get youber, it just steals a car and takes you where you want to go...

it will work.......they will spend zillions to make it work .......then the unexpected will happen and a class action lawsuit.......

I like my unsafe old cars , and the only way this has a chance of working is if most of the cars are self drivers that talk to each other , and I am not going to convert my old car and let it drive itself !

When you say "ever"......I must say DEFINITELY POSSIBLE...

ever is defined as the next second to 902834893476238947324893047239842 billion years times infinity from now....

so, yes.......

I could be wrong, but ask me in infinity years...

So is there a road system that has no dogs or pot-holes?

Not where I come from.....thumbsup.gif

Where might that be?

London, England..

Good place to be FROM.

No dogs or pot holes in London, I learn something new every day,

We have them both all over the US.

But I don't think either would be a significant issue for a driverless car.

You're joking, right?
No, I'm not joking. While I have driven on better, I have certainly driven on worse.

I think that idea that a self-driving car that will work safely in the US will not work in Thailand (or wherever you think the roads are so much better than in Thailand) is ridiculous.

What might a self-driving car encounter on a Thai road that it would have to be prepared to encounter on a US road?

U-turns on major highways, road markings that make no sense or just lead vehicles into no man's land, no right of way, random ways to mark junctions, police changing traffic lights to deliberately generate fines and random fiddling with one-way systems and other nonsense immediately spring to mind.

I have no idea, but the Uturns here are simply dangerous.

You're joking, right?

I have no idea, but the Uturns here are simply dangerous.

U-turns are dangerous everywhere, they're just more frequent here.

If a driverless car can make a safe U-turn in traffic in the US, it can make one here.

The PARKING question addressed.

Wow.

Sounds too good to be true!

But at the level of urban design and the environment, self-driving cars could produce huge benefits. After all, if cars can drive themselves, fleets of them could scurry around picking people up and dropping them off, working with sleek, robotic efficiency. With perfect computerized knowledge of where potential riders were, they could pick up several people heading the same way, optimizing ride-sharing on the fly. One study suggests a single self-driving car could replace up to 12 regular vehicles. Indeed, many urbanists predict that fleets of robocars could become so reliable that many, many people would choose not to own automobiles, causing the amount of parking needed to drop through the floor.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/01/future-parking-self-driving-cars

Edited by seedy
font

Wow.

But at the level of urban design and the environment, self-driving cars could produce huge benefits. After all, if cars can drive themselves, fleets of them could scurry around picking people up and dropping them off, working with sleek, robotic efficiency. With perfect computerized knowledge of where potential riders were, they could pick up several people heading the same way, optimizing ride-sharing on the fly. One study suggests a single self-driving car could replace up to 12 regular vehicles. Indeed, many urbanists predict that fleets of robocars could become so reliable that many, many people would choose not to own automobiles, causing the amount of parking needed to drop through the floor.

We've had this tech since the dawn of motor cars.

Most people call them "Taxis" :)

My guess - first appearance in urban areas where private cars are not allowed. The only place where the ancillary systems can be installed at a reasonable cost - lane delineators, hi accuracy GPS. Think downtown of a large city. Robotic buses and cars. When pedestrians start to cross the street at crosswalks, all traffic halts. Still leaves the weighty problem of jay walkers, dogs, wackos, all so random that no computer system can be programmed for all eventual scenarios. Still a long way off IMO

I hope they put some warning on the back and sides of these cars to warn other drivers

"This car is programmed to follow ALL traffic rules"

it is not going to run that red light so you better get ready to stop behind it.......

like someone said above the first place will be in a well regulated small area , maybe Disneyland :)

or North Korea !

Wow.

We've had this tech since the dawn of motor cars.

Most people call them "Taxis" smile.png

Indeed. Imagine the BKK cabbies made obsolete by computers. Bliss.

What percentage of the cost factors in a taxi ride are from the labor? Trick question because obviously the driving labor cost is much lower in Thailand than in the west. Another hint that Thailand will lag behind on adoption of these new technologies and systems which will indeed eliminate driving jobs.

It's like with robots in general. Makes more sense to spend for them if they're replacing expensive labor, less if they're replacing cheap labor.

Edited by Jingthing

What percentage of the cost factors in a taxi ride are from the labor? Trick question because obviously the driving labor cost is much lower in Thailand than in the west. Another hint that Thailand will lag behind on adoption of these new technologies and systems which will indeed eliminate driving jobs.

It's like with robots in general. Makes more sense to spend for them if they're replacing expensive labor, less if they're replacing cheap labor.

Like everything else, it will take goverment mandates and subsidies and the poor will suffer for it.

• 2 weeks later...

This article treats the idea that there may be self driving cars in Thailand someday as a BIG JOKE!

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/driverless-cars-in-thailand/

There is no clear evidence of driverless cars on Thailand’s roads and the idea has met with laughter on motoring blog sites. “There can be no future for driverless cars here,” said one Pattaya-based correspondent, “unless it is programmed to drive away speedily without stopping after an accident.”

If they ever build one that they THINK is good enough for Thailand , Vietnam etc and it does not crash into anyone for a year I would buy a few smile.png

But you program computers for the expected , and that is not what happens in the real world,

How will driverless cars work with 100 motorbikes going every direction in front of you at a roundabout ?

or motorbikes driving the wrong way on sidewalks and then crossing the street in front of you ?

They need to hire 3rd world programmers that know how crazy the real world is and not just DotCom guys in California who ride their push bike to work smile.png

Is not as difficult as you might think. They already have sensors all around the car. Then you "record" human behavior together with all the sensor data, and then process it.

Sorry but its not to easy.

Sensored must be more. And for example droid stil cant run as people. Just few year past start little normal walk.

Yes it show droid play footbol, but even children better play. So, yes can be car drive by computer , but its so far from human drive.

Easy example.

You drive in 2 line road. YOU in left line 80kmph back side have crazy car 2 m., right line have car overtaking 90kmph

In moto line have moto1 and 70 kmph

Have another moto 2 95kmph.

Moto 2 go front your car 1.5 m

What can do computer?

Computer cant fixed easy this is situation. If braked can back car broken your right lune cant have car.

Moto2 can gust overtaking the moto 1 and after fast come back in moto line, so car no need any do. But can try go left line and little braked if see left line car go acceleration or acceleration and go in left line.

Humen driver can see what type moto(how fast can be and how moved) can see rider moto2 body how is moved so can understanding what next happened.

And computer its need so power and dificult calculate.

Many simple think we do evry day. It not not ppssible calculate for computer.

Just look in google about how its now droid can walk.

Its for many people simple thinks to do, but for droid its big achievement in science cybernetics and programming.

This article treats the idea that there may be self driving cars in Thailand someday as a BIG JOKE!

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/driverless-cars-in-thailand/

There is no clear evidence of driverless cars on Thailand’s roads and the idea has met with laughter on motoring blog sites. “There can be no future for driverless cars here,” said one Pattaya-based correspondent, “unless it is programmed to drive away speedily without stopping after an accident.”

They forgot one though...

How does a driverless car understand when it's a policeman is waving at it to stop, and not just someone waving hello? tongue.png

Even if he risks death by standing in front of the car to make it stop, it's just going to drive away as soon as he approaches the window.

That's gonna piss someone off biggrin.png

I anticipate some tire-less driver-less cars :P

Edited by IMHO

Historic decision in the U.S. about driverless cars:

Google’s self-driving car AI can be the vehicle’s legal driver, US government says Regulatory doors are now open, allowing for the removal of steering wheel, pedals, etc.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2016/02/googles-self-driving-car-ai-can-be-the-vehicles-legal-driver-us-government-says/

Historic decision in the U.S. about driverless cars:

Google’s self-driving car AI can be the vehicle’s legal driver, US government says Regulatory doors are now open, allowing for the removal of steering wheel, pedals, etc.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2016/02/googles-self-driving-car-ai-can-be-the-vehicles-legal-driver-us-government-says/

You need a steering wheel and brakes when you need to push them on and off the tow truck after they CRASH

or run out of fuel , get a flat tire , reboot to Windows XP and many other things

I hope they have a giant "L" sign like n the UK for learners :)

My car's sort of self driving (distronic with steer assist) and it's pretty good where there are no motorbikes (motorways), only issues are it has trouble passing vehicles which don't keep steadily in their lane and when vehicles cut in front at such low speed (the obligatory vehicle that enters the motorway at 40km/h and decides it needs to get to the right lane immediately) it'll trigger the emergency brakes which deactivates the system.

In 40km/h+ driving in cities it's dangerous, motorbikes (or anything else) that cut in front too close will make it brake hard, filtering motorbikes and cars that merge too close will trigger the active blind spot assist, brake hard and deactivate the system. In really heavy traffic it's okay to use to lazily get through traffic but it's not aggressive enough to make good progress.