Will self driving cars ever take off in Thailand?

Jingthing

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the software is the driver, who gets a ticket and or assumes liability in the event of an accident?

I don't know. I reckon each nation that allows this advance will have to make new laws to deal with it.

Just like when cars replaced horses, innit?

If the software is the driver, who gets a ticket and or assumes liability in the event of an accident?

I don't know. I reckon each nation that allows this advance will have to make new laws to deal with it.

No, because across that transition, there was still a responsible human in control.

No, because across that transition, there was still a responsible human in control.

You missed my point entirely.

You missed my point entirely.

No I didn't. The fact is, no rules needed to be changed in the transition from horses & carts to cars. Lots more laws were created once cars became mainstream though.

No I didn't. The fact is, no rules needed to be changed in the transition from horses & carts to cars. Lots more laws were created once cars became mainstream though.

Remember somewhere had a law still on the books where a man had to preceed an automobile waving a red light at night time to warn others of its approach.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/we-take-teslas-autopilot-for-a-spin-on-the-streets-of-l-a-wvideo/ another Tesla Auto pilot video. Driver nearly crashed into parked car with the auto pilot. Guess it will take a few more years for the technology to get better.

Agreed. When someone makes sensors/cameras and associated software that can properly understand what's going on here, I'll personally shake their hand:

thediplomat_2014-09-07_09-33-16-386x260.

If the silver car in the middle was a Tesla, I bet it never moves - there's simply too much going on around it for it to ever understand how to proceed. Computers can't afford to be stubborn/forceful/arrogant like a human driver can wink.png

Edited by IMHO

• 3 weeks later...

it won't happen, not even in the US. what will happen is assisted driving, maybe similar the concept of 'auto pilot' in the airline industry. but you still need a driver similar to you still need a pilot flying the airplane.

This is the way I see it too... it will result in some great assistive technologies - but let's hope they're better than lane keeping assist systems that practically force you to hit motorbikes right now wink.png

I see it working within special zones though.

E.g. make the CBD in London a driverless car only zone. All taxis and driverless vans of course. You park your regular car in special areas on the fringe, then "Johnny Cab" from there, and back. They would all be EV's of course, so you're solving the pollution problem at the same time, and charging worries are a thing of the past, because they only need a few mile range seeing as they can recharge as required. It won't be expensive because there are no driver salaries to pay, and the cars themselves can be extremely simple - e.g. they don't need crumple zones, dashboards, steering wheels etc, right?

And crucially, it all works because they are controlled as a single hive.

The idea of special zones has a lot of merit. Autonomous trains, Mine trucks and industrial vehicles have been working for a number of years, partly because their working environment is more controlled. Automating vehicles on public roads is a lot more challenging and the benefits greater in some areas than others. Zones could allow a car to be driven conventionally on sub standard / off network roads but operate automatically in zones with suitable infrastructure and conditions, E.G. heavy traffic areas as IMHO suggests or specific highways etc. This would blend the flexibility of road vehicles with some of the efficiency of automated public transport.

This is probably more feasible than developing autonomous control systems that can handle all road conditions all of the time or modifying all road conditions to match limitations of the autonomous controls.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like something in stop and go traffic , say under 20 miles per hour

at that speed if it crashed I would not get hurt too bad ,

But at 50-60 mph you would die in a crash and not be able to steer out of it ,

Hopefully it is programmed for crashes too , better to crash on the passenger side if no one is sitting there etc.......

• 1 year later...

Well, there is general consensus that self driving cars as a big thing are coming sooner or later to some nations. This article makes a strong case for sooner than most people think.

Yet the consensus here is that Thailand will be well behind the curve on this. 

So what will that mean?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/the-robot-revolution-will-take-your-car-your-moms-car-and-all-the-oil-in-13-years

"Countries that fail to lead or make a transition to TaaS will become the 21st century equivalents of horse-based countries trying to compete with economies whose transportation systems are based on cars, trucks, tractors and airplanes", concludes the RethinkX report.

If it works in the US I see no reason it would not in Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Apart from nonsensical road layouts, 19th century vehicles everywhere and large numbers of scooters with peanuts between the ears.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Apart from nonsensical road layouts, 19th century vehicles everywhere and large numbers of scooters with peanuts between the ears.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

If the vehicle can't avoid a collision with scooter or three, it should not be on the road anywhere.

I grew up driving in the US and I've been driving here for 16 years, I don't see any real additional challenges to making it work here than making it work in the US.

The vehicle will either have an avoidance system that works or it will not.

It's not exactly rocket science why Thailand won't be on the bleeding edge of the global transition towards self driving cars.

Consider where a major test of this was done in Asean?

Thailand? No.

Vietnam? No. 

Cambodia? No.

Singapore? Yes.

Basically a first world nation with very orderly road systems.

Probably not relevant but here it goes. A bad google translate:

http://www.telecomjournalthailand.com/autonomous-vs-self-driving-car/

It's no coincidence that Toyota and Volvo automakers are developing Autonomous Cars, but Self-Driving Cars are back. For those who love car styling. Autonomous Car is the only choice. But for most people, Self-Driving Car is a dream car. For Thailand, you have to wait for another break.