You cannot compare everything to your home country

drronnie

Well you can but if you think you're comparing like with like, I'd like to know which country you're comparing it to! If Thailand was like western Europe, North America, Australia or even Japan, we probably wouldn't be here, surely it's because it's like it is that we're here.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages but everything's not okay so if you like a moan there's plenty of scope.

Well you can but if you think you're comparing like with like, I'd like to know which country you're comparing it to! If Thailand was like western Europe, North America, Australia or even Japan, we probably wouldn't be here, surely it's because it's like it is that we're here.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages but everything's not okay so if you like a moan there's plenty of scope.

There are pros and cons to living in Thailand vs. western home countries, yes. I don't think you can objectively say one is better than the other in a definitive way for everybody. That's a personal calculation and that personal calculation can change over time as well.

What about Thai people who don't like the pad thai in Bristol? Is there something wrong with them and they should "go home" because "this is England?" If you said that people would think you were a <deleted>.

Edited by BudRight

"You cannot compare everything to your home country"

Oh yes we can! Inalienable rights and all that

Sure you can. I think most of us do compare things in the home country to here. I know I do. Hmmmm, let's see how much were my daily expenses back there, how cold was it in January back home, how many nice looking young ladies can you see in your local? Sure, there are things back home you cannot get here, but there are also things here you cannot get back home. My ole grandpappy used to say, "You pays your money and takes your choice."

I beg to differ. I can compare everything to my home country. And, in fact, it is what I do. It is what helps me to determine whether staying here is worth it as compared to home. Thailand is full of its nuances, which is why I enjoy websites like this--I can spit out my hatred/aggravations of Thais and there ways while still keep my sanity in a country which has it's own good aspects as well. It is cheap, people tend to mind their own business once you get to your own room, you can find a reasonable job teaching and not work half as many hours as the U.S...among other perks.

And when the %$#@ hits the fan, comparing is what I have to do. I have to do it to remind myself that the things I like about Thailand and don't like still are greater than the things I like about the US compared to what I don't like--if that makes sense.

There are times I am here and I want to rip my hair out (or the eyes of the nearest 'degenerate' Thai that I've met and found a distaste for), but I have to count to 10 and remind myself that things could be worse. Without the comparison and the weighing of things, I would certainly have flown back only to have been greeted to a worse predicament.

If you have lived in Thailand as a foreigner and loved it and seen not a single flaw with this place, you are either disillusioned, on drugs, are a brain-dead vegetable, or perhaps are dead. Thailand is in no way a perfect country--especially for foreigners. But compared to where I came from, I am still thankful to be here.

I beg to differ. I can compare everything to my home country. And, in fact, it is what I do. It is what helps me to determine whether staying here is worth it as compared to home. Thailand is full of its nuances, which is why I enjoy websites like this--I can spit out my hatred/aggravations of Thais and there ways while still keep my sanity in a country which has it's own good aspects as well. It is cheap, people tend to mind their own business once you get to your own room, you can find a reasonable job teaching and not work half as many hours as the U.S...among other perks.

And when the %$#@ hits the fan, comparing is what I have to do. I have to do it to remind myself that the things I like about Thailand and don't like still are greater than the things I like about the US compared to what I don't like--if that makes sense.

There are times I am here and I want to rip my hair out (or the eyes of the nearest 'degenerate' Thai that I've met and found a distaste for), but I have to count to 10 and remind myself that things could be worse. Without the comparison and the weighing of things, I would certainly have flown back only to have been greeted to a worse predicament.

If you have lived in Thailand as a foreigner and loved it and seen not a single flaw with this place, you are either disillusioned, on drugs, are a brain-dead vegetable, or perhaps are dead. Thailand is in no way a perfect country--especially for foreigners. But compared to where I came from, I am still thankful to be here.

You are talking about working here, then you have to choose which is the better environment.

If you don't work, Thailand wins hands down, until you get involved with the female, whether she is hi-so (no such thing, we are all equal, human beings), or a farm girl, but it all depends how weak, or insecure you are.

You are talking about working here, then you have to choose which is the better environment.

If you don't work, Thailand wins hands down, until you get involved with the female, whether she is hi-so (no such thing, we are all equal, human beings), or a farm girl, but it all depends how weak, or insecure you are.

It doesn't matter what it is in relation to. If you are here, you will naturally compare this to your 'past life'. You can't not have comparisons as such. It is a very natural and healthy thing to do. How do you know when is it time to say, 'enough!' How do you know when it is time to say, "I'm thankful I'm here"? We were given a brain and the ability to sort through things, compare things, weigh things for a reason. And the Thai people, government, and so forth also know this is the case. If they were to screw us over beyond the point that we find acceptable, then no one would come here. I mean, what point would there be to live in a country when you are swindled every time the locals and officials get a chance, where you are treated like a second class citizen, whose women have these same tendencies, and whose policies all give favor to it's blood relatives and there are no perks? I can guarantee you that for the first years of someone taking residency here, the weighing process is a constant thing. It is only after years of putting up with abuse, but finding them to be outweighed by the perks, do people finally stop comparing things (if they ever do). There are people who just want a place to call their permanent home and at some point, this may be Thailand for you.

For others, Thailand is just a place for transition and this is where you at for the time. But regardless of what angle you come from, it is a healthy thing to be able to have a point of reference to compare your current circumstances with. That way, you can determine if where you are at is really beneficial for you. Now, if you're speaking of obsessively fixating on every incident and comparing it to where you came from without relent--then perhaps this isn't the most healthy thing. But spending time here and then to sit down and reflect on your life here as to whether it matches up to where you came from--this is a healthy thing.

I aometimes compare the rain. It's much heavier here, but generally more predictable, whereas the traffic is heavier but less predictable. Subway sandwiches are very similar, though the Soi 7/1 shop sells beer, if I recall correctly, which I have never seen in the Old Country in Subway.

I'd like a list of things that I am allowed to compare, and those that I cannot.

Price of cheese? Fish? Hookers? Policemen?