Which 2nd hand sports car ?

I generally tootle around on my scooter for my shopping etc. I have the use of a 4 x 4 when needed on a rare occasion I have something big to carry.

Soon I may need to pick my son up from his school occasionally so I thought I would look for a sports car. I don't do a lot of miles, around 8,000 km's on my scooter in 4 years.

Here's my spec : 2 seats is OK, not too old and preferably under 30,000 km's. Automatic rectractable hood and preferably metal not soft top. It has to be reasonably small as I only have a small drive to park it unless I dig up established palm trees and remove kerbing. Under 1,000,000 Baht.

I have also considered sports hatches, eg the Mazda 2, which I do like but from the outside it's not sporty looking and also while in a warm country why not have the use of a convertible. The MG is also an option and a chance to own a brand new car for well under a mill, but again apart from the paint jobs available not very sporty looking. I owned a L reg MGB back in the 80's so I do have a soft spot for them.

I spotted a small 'toy like' sports car driving in Hua Hin last week which I had never seen before, and after Googling came up with Diahatsu Copen which I had never heard of. This fits the bill nicely apart from it's price as it's imported. So cheap in Japan but riles me to have to pay so much more here. There was one on one2car and elsewhere online(still is) which is 2011, 30,000 km's and around 789,000 Baht I think, but all attempts to contact the Thai numbers have failed. I then noticed it was advertised around Oct 2015 so maybe sold by now.

So you knowledgeable people, what are my choices and where do I look ? I know about one2car and Taladrod.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me a sports car would be something thats got some get up and go, Mini Cooper S, comes as a hatch or soft top, BMW Z4 roadster, there in Thailand, Audi have a coupe as do BMW, plenty around in the used market just depends on how old your willing to go.

I understand what you are saying Alex, however my needs are for the busy roads in Hua Hin, having a 3 litre drag machine would be useless here, there is too much congestion. Also if it was performance I wouldn't need to stick to a sports car.

My desires are more of style rather than speed, a hot hatch will deliver speed, I am more concerned with looks, but thanks for all replies. I do like the Mini Cooper but again overpriced over here and although a dream car when I was younger after watching the Italian Job, it seems over here they are all driven by Thai girls!

I understand what you are saying Alex, however my needs are for the busy roads in Hua Hin, having a 3 litre drag machine would be useless here, there is too much congestion. Also if it was performance I wouldn't need to stick to a sports car.

My desires are more of style rather than speed, a hot hatch will deliver speed, I am more concerned with looks, but thanks for all replies. I do like the Mini Cooper but again overpriced over here and although a dream car when I was younger after watching the Italian Job, it seems over here they are all driven by Thai girls!

Ahh i use to have a Cooper S in the old days and i decided to relive the dream bought the BMW version 3 years ago, current TGF liked her lips with the thought she will drive it...even called it her car...

Apart from the Z4 i haven't seen anything that resemples a sports car in Thailand....let me know what you come up with.

There are a few Nissan Firagos around. More fun car than sports car though. With some imagination they could be classed an "island" car even though you don't live in Phuket/Koh Chang etc.

NissanFigaro_003-L.jpg

Likewise there are some Peugeot 207 CC's around, but not sure about the under 1 mil.

peugeot-207-cc-06-07-09.jpg

There is a replica MG TA for sale at the end of my soi in a tire shop if you like something like that. I also know where there is an E Type but not sure about the for sale bit..

Edited by VocalNeal

I'd never heard of that Nissan but just looked at a few on One2car, certainly in my price range but so ugly, like something from the 50's and judging from the interior styling I guess that is what they are aiming for.

The Peugeot is a nice looking car but again mainly driven by women and the ones in my price range are a bit old.

I think I would have to stipulate no older than 2010/11 which is still 5 years old.

The MG TA replica really not the style I am looking for. I keep looking at the new MG's on One2car as a lot of car for not much money. I may take a wander around their showroom next week.

I won't be using this car much, apart from the heavy trafffic in Hua Hin, unless you are going to the shopping mall, there is no where to park !

Thanks Arthur, all nice cars, especially the Mazda's, but none of them fit my criteria.

MX5 under 1 mill are 10 years old.

Lotus 2 mill plus.

Z3 10 years old.

I love the styling of the RX8 but they aren't a convertible and the rotary engine gets terrible reviews.

Vocal Neal, if you read all my opening post, the Copen is my number one choice so far, it fits the bill in all aspects. I have been chasing the white one on One2car but nobody has been replying to my calls until yesterday where I was told it is sold.

Dirt cheap in Japan but import tax means expensive here.

Last week I placed an ad on here and 2 other sites wanting a Copen.

Edited by YorkshireTyke

"sports car " but i guess you mean LOOK like sport car

"Under 1,000,000 Baht"

"under 30,000 km's"

"Automatic rectractable hood and preferably metal not soft top"

It is very difficult and almost unreal in Thailand

Yes you can try to find(wait) Diahatsu Copen

its possible be on all your request

"I have also considered sports hatches, eg the Mazda 2, which I do like"

i confused, but if you like this is car

its be GOOD choice and even can be NEWthumbsup.gif

And last

i guess if "del" request "under 30,000 km's"

MX-5 can find some in good condition

and its be real sport car little toy and look in my opinon good

Cheerswai.gif

You'll find an Audi TT Mk1 for around a mil. Down to 650 for rougher ones with hard top. The convertibles are a bit rarer here. Earliest models came with 6 speed manual. 180 for base spec, 225 for quattro. Very easy to tune. Mine was a bit over a mil, but one owner, full service and less than 20k on the clock.

Vocal Neal, if you read all my opening post,

I have to admit I do speed read large paragraphs. I got as far as the MG bit..

At some point during my life I remember someone telling me the most important part of a text are the spaces in between.

So at least on forums i tend to post that way.

Edited by VocalNeal

I have never had any desire for a Mercedes but some time back on BahtSold I saw a two seat rag top and was surprised that it was quite a bit under a million. It was a beautiful car. I don't remember what model it was but it did catch my eye.

I have never had any desire for a Mercedes but some time back on BahtSold I saw a two seat rag top and was surprised that it was quite a bit under a million. It was a beautiful car. I don't remember what model it was but it did catch my eye.

Possible SLK but its can be over 10-15 year old

You want a V10 M5 BMW.

The E60 M5 was introduced in 2005, with an uneven firing V10 engine and 7 speed sequential manual gear box linking the car with the BMW Sauber Formula One program.[2] The E60 M5 was the world's first production sedan to feature a V10 petrol engine and 7 speed sequential manual gear box. As with some of its predecessors, the E60 variant of the M5 was both the quickest and fastest 4-door sedan in the world at the time of its release.[11]

You want a V10 M5 BMW.

The E60 M5 was introduced in 2005, with an uneven firing V10 engine and 7 speed sequential manual gear box linking the car with the BMW Sauber Formula One program.[2] The E60 M5 was the world's first production sedan to feature a V10 petrol engine and 7 speed sequential manual gear box. As with some of its predecessors, the E60 variant of the M5 was both the quickest and fastest 4-door sedan in the world at the time of its release.[11]

This 2009 is 2.79 million! http://taladrod.com/w30/iCar/CarDet.aspx?cid=1647004

You want a V10 M5 BMW.

This 2009 is 2.79 million! http://taladrod.com/w30/iCar/CarDet.aspx?cid=1647004

I am in love!