Why do many Thais get aggressive on the road if I overtake them?

It is odd. There also seems to be an opposite trigger depending on if I'm in my wife's small city car, or my big motorcycle.

If I'm in my wife's Swift and I go past a much larger vehicle, like a Fortuner, half the time they start driving as if racing and need to pass me. Often on a lunatic mission, belting up the hard-shoulder at full throttle.

I notice that it's mainly the opposite on my motorbike. If I pass a smaller bike or scooter, they often go on a death-ride suicide mission to get in front of me.

It's one of the interesting, quirky little facets of Thai culture.

What do you think the basis of it is?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's called confirmation bias. once you get an idea into your head you tend to only catalogue those experiences that support your perspective.

Try to see it from the other drivers point of view

"how come every time a farang overtakes me, they then drive very slowly and get in my way?"

BTW - I would suggest that neither observation is true especially as a trait in Thailand as opposed to everywhere.

It's called confirmation bias. once you get an idea into your head you tend to only catalogue those experiences that support your perspective.

"how come every time a farang overtakes me, they then drive very slowly and get in my way?"

BTW - I would suggest that neither observation is true especially as a trait in Thailand as opposed to everywhere.

Nonsense. :)

Yeah That has to be it. There's always a genius with a small car that passes by the left once ive had to slow down for some genius in front and as soon as the obstacle is gone, this genius will then block the overtaking lane by going super slow thinking that his overtaking by the left was a masterpiece of time saving because he passed people that were stuck behind an other of his genius brothers.

Nonsense. smile.png

Care to elaborate on that?

It'll be even worse now when the fortuner driver pulls up alongside an everest...they will need to prove something in their fundamentally inferior ride. Lol

Depends on the driver..........whistling.gif

Correct...some testicles retract faster at the stoplights too laugh.png

It'll be even worse now when the fortuner driver pulls up alongside an everest...they will need to prove something in their fundamentally inferior ride. Lol

Depends on the driver..........whistling.gif

Indeed - but the EV driver wouldn't even need to use full throttle.

I may be going about a hundred and when those big powerful bikes pass me, I don't even have time to see if the rider is a farang or a Thai. I consider them as suicide jockeys. They pass you so quick that other drivers have no time to get aggressive or upset.

I may be going about a hundred and when those big powerful bikes pass me, I don't even have time to see if the rider is a farang or a Thai. I consider them as suicide jockeys. They pass you so quick that other drivers have no time to get aggressive or upset.

I leave them to it...their day will come. Same as the Thai guy I drove past two days ago...off his bike with no helmet...getting heart massage on the bitumen. What a sad way to end one's life.

I see it everywhere I drive.US and in Thailand.The other driver thinks he's going fast enough til he gets passed by another vehicle.

Then he wakes up and realizes he's not going near as fast as he should be going.Sometimes I wonder if these people really know

What their doing.

I only have a Prob with ferangs on race cycles Bigger prats than any tuna man imo

I see your Lycra aversion is still strong old chap. To help you get over it, try and go to sleep while hugging some stretchy, spandex bikers pants, preferably used.

I have driving in many countries around the world, and the thing is that drivers agro is NOT unique to Thai

drivers, I have seen and experienced much worse, with tail gating, horn honking, light flashing, middle fingers and coming

out to physically hit you wit some hard instruments or a tool....

In my opinion, Thai drivers are way timid compare to many other places around the world...

There has been a lot of research on and around the aggressiveness question. A number of years ago one of David McClelland's students at Harvard did a study of aggression and drinking in bars. Bottom line: the main factors had to do the amount of power (influence and the ability to project themselves or increase their affect). The drunks who sang or told jokes (happy drunks) did not get verbally or physically aggressive.

In a highly stratified society such as Thailand, those with little or no control over their lives will take opportunities to try and exercise some control by "beating" someone else. Driving is a perfect venue for this as it provides anonymity for the actors. Those with the "big" cars simply use them to exercise control.

Fortuner drivers own the road. Boy racers on their skinny tired, lowered, noisy bikes think they can take on a big bike tongue.png

I thought that was mini bus drivers! When I used to have a Yammy Vmax many years ago boy racers on their little sports bikes used to rev their engines at the light looking for a race. Used to make my day!

When they race past me I think "There goes another accident on its way to happen". Too many times have I seen them farther ahead in the ditch, wrapped around another car or tree. My wife says it is bad for Farangs to complain about local people's driving. I told her that the way they drive they will have an accident. She says it is just their particular driving technique. When I point out that the car that recently passed us is in the ditch, she says "No problem, next time they will try a different technique", so don't complain. So now when we watch the Thai road accident news in the morning we call it the "End of Technique News".