Why do many Thais get aggressive on the road if I overtake them?

"I notice that it's mainly the opposite on my motorbike"

I don't get it why you say it's the opposite?

In the examples you gave the drivers are behaving in exactly the same manner...trying to pass you out...or bully you, I suppose you could call it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is because of the "Me first" attitude that is bread into the Thais.The same reason that on a eight lane divided road with those stupid u-turns built into them,Thais will get into the right lane even though there is a u-turn coming up because this is the "big boy's lane" then coming up on the u-turn disrupt traffic to go back into the next lane.Traffic is continually slowed by these IDIOTS. Re member it is the ME FIRST attitude here.

I have driving in many countries around the world, and the thing is that drivers agro is NOT unique to Thai

drivers, I have seen and experienced much worse, with tail gating, horn honking, light flashing, middle fingers and coming

out to physically hit you wit some hard instruments or a tool....

In my opinion, Thai drivers are way timid compare to many other places around the world...

Exactly, try Argentina, possibly the worst drivers in the world.

There has been a lot of research on and around the aggressiveness question. A number of years ago one of David McClelland's students at Harvard did a study of aggression and drinking in bars. Bottom line: the main factors had to do the amount of power (influence and the ability to project themselves or increase their affect). The drunks who sang or told jokes (happy drunks) did not get verbally or physically aggressive.

In a highly stratified society such as Thailand, those with little or no control over their lives will take opportunities to try and exercise some control by "beating" someone else. Driving is a perfect venue for this as it provides anonymity for the actors. Those with the "big" cars simply use them to exercise control.

For me, this is an excellent explanation of the issue.

I've been documenting the 2nd phase of this study for a few years now .

Being a typical arrogant foreigner in Thailand with no time for face saving or where you might be heading in the after life; you retaliate by blowing the horn/ flashing your headlights continuously

The response in the past 4 years goes something like this:

50% 1st Scenario - The Coward - they noticeably slow down pull over and avoid lining up with you at the next set of lights

30% 2nd Scenario - The Oblivious / denial phase - they assume is you are sounding your horn at someone else

15% 3rd Scenario - The Honest Mistake - they make some form of gesture to apologize for their mistake

-5% 4th Scenario - The Retaliator - they try to drive over you again or pull out a gun !

The flaw in all of is with the dark tinted car glass I cannot confirm if the drivers are Thai or Foreigners !!! ????

It was once explained to me by a Thai friend as being pent up frustration coming out. In their day to day lives they are expected to kow tow and defer to others always being polite (doesn't always happen but that is what their culture dictates).

When they get on a bike, or even better a car with darkened windows, the anonymity of that environment allows them to be aggressive without direct insult or causing loss of face to friends or colleagues.

A pressure relief valve if you will......

You call Thai driving aggressive?

After living and driving 8 years in the UAE i believe that Thais are the most polite and smooth drivers on earth.

It's just great to drive here, even in jams when everybody lets you in and no honking or dirty finger.

After living and driving 8 years in the UAE i believe that Thais are the most polite and smooth drivers on earth.

It's just great to drive here, even in jams when everybody lets you in and no honking or dirty finger.

Let you in? Not in my experience. They close a gap deliberately just to stop you moving over and block intersections so traffic can't move when lights change. You should watch one of the Thai news channels and see how many road rage incidents there are every day over people giving the finger or not allowing people in.

Edited by giddyup

It's called confirmation bias. once you get an idea into your head you tend to only catalogue those experiences that support your perspective.

Try to see it from the other drivers point of view

"how come every time a farang overtakes me, they then drive very slowly and get in my way?"

BTW - I would suggest that neither observation is true especially as a trait in Thailand as opposed to everywhere.

Yeah That has to be it. There's always a genius with a small car that passes by the left once ive had to slow down for some genius in front and as soon as the obstacle is gone, this genius will then block the overtaking lane by going super slow thinking that his overtaking by the left was a masterpiece of time saving because he passed people that were stuck behind an other of his genius brothers.

Overtaking lane? I must have missed something!

Let you in? Not in my experience. They close a gap deliberately just to stop you moving over and block intersections so traffic can't move when lights change. You should watch one of the Thai news channels and see how many road rage incidents there are every day over people giving the finger or not allowing people in.

Thais never let you in line in front of them,and if you wait for someone to let you in you'll sit there for an hour. I drive like a Thai now,turn blinker on as I'm changing lanes. When I get honked at I know I'm driving Thai style.

It's called confirmation bias. once you get an idea into your head you tend to only catalogue those experiences that support your perspective.

Try to see it from the other drivers point of view

"how come every time a farang overtakes me, they then drive very slowly and get in my way?"

BTW - I would suggest that neither observation is true especially as a trait in Thailand as opposed to everywhere.

Its because Thais are the most dangerous road users that I have ever seen. Complete disregard for their own safety, so concern for anyone is NON existent. I have been on many motor bike taxis and busses etc, and had near misses and the driver will just laugh when you show any concern...

A Thai friend told me when we were talking about driving standards, "don't indicate when you're pulling out to overtake because they will try to stop you. It's best not to let them know what you're doing " My experience tells me that she was absolutely right.

I get the impression that a lot of the [posters on this thread are still trying to drive in Thailand as if they were in their home country. You don't make up the rules yourself...look how others drive here and adapt.

But that's what driving here is, making up the rules yourself.

Out of curiosity...what is your hurry?

We are mostly retired, old fogies that dread going back home to the wife. Where's the fire?

Let them pass, put on some Jimmy Buffet and light one up. Don't become part of the circus. The only place I am going is to eat or get a beer.

Edited by slipperylobster

It is because of the "Me first" attitude that is bread into the Thais.The same reason that on a eight lane divided road with those stupid u-turns built into them,Thais will get into the right lane even though there is a u-turn coming up because this is the "big boy's lane" then coming up on the u-turn disrupt traffic to go back into the next lane.Traffic is continually slowed by these IDIOTS. Re member it is the ME FIRST attitude here.

I dont think its as much 'me first' as losing face.

A lot of Thai-bashing going on when there are bad falang drivers as well.

Yes, there are plenty of idiot drivers - overtake on blind curves, force their way into lanes of traffic etc. etc. However, I can't say in the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai area I've witnessed or been involved in any road rage incidents or aggression. Thais seem to be quite phlegmatic about bad road manners. I drive defensively, so that may help. Perhaps it's a case of when two aggressive drivers meet up.

We are mostly retired, old fogies that dread going back home to the wife. Where's the fire?

Let them pass, put on some Jimmy Buffet and light one up. Don't become part of the circus. The only place I am going is to eat or get a beer.

It's not the Op who is in a hurry, it's the Thai who needs to get in front at all costs, no matter how many lives he endangers in the process. It's usually the motorist who is toodling along sticking to the speed limit and obeying the road rules who gets cleaned up by these maniacs.

Not have that problem or other problems like that at all. does not matter if I drive big car or small car . if it is a rented rented car, company car or self owned car.

Come in many places with the cars like Bangkok, Phuket, Rayong, Nkhbon Ratchasima, Chaing Rai, Trat, and so on. So there most be something that you do that triggers this behavior.

Edited by Autonuaq

Fortunately I don't fit into this category but you really made me smile! Eat and get a beer? Aren't you supposed to do that while you're driving?

Consider that many Thais' first experience of driving was sitting in front of their father/mother on a motorbike. Usually with no helmets. They grow up with little or no concept of what most of us consider to be dangerous. Would you climb high up a tree with no ladder just to get a coconut? Would you walk around the roof of a building wearing a t-shirt and flip-flops welding the steel structure; with sunglasses to 'protect' you from the rays? We see around us many other examples.