Why do many Thais get aggressive on the road if I overtake them?

giddyup -

I don't accept baseless interpretations and illogical conclusions drawn from what uninformed people consider as evidence. They need the intellectual tools to be able to examine the evidence rationally.

If you have any knowledge of critical thinking you will recognise the expression "the plural of anecdote is not data".

A fact is a baseless interpretation? Maybe in your alternative universe. What is it the guy from Mythbusters says? "I reject your reality and substitute my own". That could be your motto.thumbsup.gif

"A fact is a baseless interpretation" - oh dear now what "fact" is that?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just drove to Vientiane (well Nong Khai) from Chiang Mai and back in a Honda City, only had it happen once the whole trip, if you're doing 140 they're generally not interested in trying to catch up with you.

what road you were driving? in this way a little straights roads ... usually 1-2 band. pos; ledni year many repairs
many trucks and a car.
How could you go so fast?
How long braking distances have Honda City?
You have some ugrade car? brakes, tires, shock absorbers?
I realy do not know where from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai can sefty drive with 140km/h blink.png on Honda City.

Fortuner drivers own the road. Boy racers on their skinny tired, lowered, noisy bikes think they can take on a big bike tongue.png

Yeah....and I like my Fortuner.....You never heard about being "King of the Road? clap2.gif

Yeah, I heard a song once about it. Pretty sure it was about a Peterbilt, Freightliner, Kenworth or a Mack though tongue.png

You got it....Drive a Fortuner and you get the feeling....slightly wink.png

I just drove to Vientiane (well Nong Khai) from Chiang Mai and back in a Honda City, only had it happen once the whole trip, if you're doing 140 they're generally not interested in trying to catch up with you.

only 140 ???? I'll catch you with my Fortuner and push you off the road...cheesy.gif

It is a problem. (You)They pay the deposit money for the prestige of a new vehicle and magically it makes you(Them) somehow superior..therefore it is offensive to be overtaken. Converse for drivers of old vehicles in dangerous condition or agricultural vehicles....I am here....you are not.......and I had Thai whisky for breakfastandnowIiam trying tostay inastraightlinebut the steering isnotgood.....andIstayinthemiddleoftheroadbecauseitislessbumpyandIdontcareabout you!

Bumper riders(cars or bikes) are easy . I simply decide to wash my windscreen copiuosly.

The performance factor of some of the small bikes is impressively scarey! But the noise factor is mostly unneccessary for performance. It just provides a compulsory "look at me" factor.

And I am giving my opinion of drivers in Thailand. Non Thai are often no better!

It's called confirmation bias. once you get an idea into your head you tend to only catalogue those experiences that support your perspective.

Try to see it from the other drivers point of view

"how come every time a farang overtakes me, they then drive very slowly and get in my way?"

BTW - I would suggest that neither observation is true especially as a trait in Thailand as opposed to everywhere.

I don't see this, I see more that Thais like to pass me despite needing to turn left soon.

The concept of slowing down and slotting in behind me is alien.

I am guessing you are driving aggressively. Chill out.

Edited by jacko45k

Interesting. I have a 1000 complaints about driving in Thailand and how Thai people conduct themselves on the road, but...

...this is one characteristic I haven't experienced much of.

I havnt experienced it either and i dont have many complaints at all on the whole

But i ride at 130-160kmh on the flats so i guess i just leave it all behind me

Interesting. I have a 1000 complaints about driving in Thailand and how Thai people conduct themselves on the road, but...

I havnt experienced it either and i dont have many complaints at all on the whole

You make a point - those who drive slower than the average traffic tend to be far more likely to incur problems as whether they see it or not thy are obstructing quicker vehicles to a greater or lesser extent.

My aunt was the world's worst driver and was convinced that EVERYONE on the road was rude, belligerent and used their horns far too much. The truth of the matter was that she generated this environment which followed her everywhere she drove and gave her the impression that is what the rest of the traffic must be like.

She used her own personal experience to mistakenly blame everyone but herself.

Edited by Loeilad

You make a point - those who drive slower than the average traffic tend to be far more likely to incur problems as whether they see it or not thy are obstructing quicker vehicles to a greater or lesser extent.

My aunt was the world's worst driver and was convinced that EVERYONE on the road was rude, belligerent and used their horns far too much. The truth of the matter was that she generated this environment which followed her everywhere she drove and gave her the impression that is what the rest of the traffic must be like.

She used her own personal experience to mistakenly blame everyone but herself.

Oh, I see. The solution is just to drive faster than everyone else. Brilliant!

Please abide by forum rules:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

It'll be even worse now when the fortuner driver pulls up alongside an everest...they will need to prove something in their fundamentally inferior ride. Lol

A Fortuner rear ended my Land Rover a couple of years ago in Chiang Mai. I was approaching a crossroad with the lights on orange / yellow, and ...I stopped !!!!. The Fortuner driver taught I would go on like so many do, and was wrong !!!! The damage on he's car was overwhelming. I's all plastic no real reinforcements....he's radiator was burst....and the attachment for my spare tire was bend a little.....he offered me money, so not to call the insurance, and I took only 500 Thb....

Regards.

It'll be even worse now when the fortuner driver pulls up alongside an everest...they will need to prove something in their fundamentally inferior ride. Lol

A Fortuner rear ended my Land Rover a couple of years ago in Chiang Mai. I was approaching a crossroad with the lights on orange / yellow, and ...I stopped !!!!. The Fortuner driver taught I would go on like so many do, and was wrong !!!! The damage on he's car was overwhelming. I's all plastic no real reinforcements....he's radiator was burst....and the attachment for my spare tire was bend a little.....he offered me money, so not to call the insurance, and I took only 500 Thb....

Regards.

500 bht wait for it !!!!it's coming I promise you

People do tend to drive their brakes here all the time. Seen people pull away from traffic lights with their brake lights on.

Must learn how to drive breaks could be good. Seen white reversing lights on a car pulling away at traffic lights once in UK it was the forward motion of the car that gave the fault away.

I think people panic behind the wheel a lot here. I think Many Thais have driving dyslexia and confuse brake for gas and vice versa. Or maybe they confuse their left Foot for their right. Here's an example below. I've seen cars slam breaks and I go around them and there's nothing in road so must be in their head. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/879137-pickup-falls-from-central-festival-second-floor-parking-lot-injuring-two/

It is because of the "Me first" attitude that is bread into the Thais.The same reason that on a eight lane divided road with those stupid u-turns built into them,Thais will get into the right lane even though there is a u-turn coming up because this is the "big boy's lane" then coming up on the u-turn disrupt traffic to go back into the next lane.Traffic is continually slowed by these IDIOTS. Re member it is the ME FIRST attitude here.

Driving many hundred of thousands of KMs here in Thailand and never encountered such behavior. You must have dreamed that.

It is because of the "Me first" attitude that is bread into the Thais.The same reason that on a eight lane divided road with those stupid u-turns built into them,Thais will get into the right lane even though there is a u-turn coming up because this is the "big boy's lane" then coming up on the u-turn disrupt traffic to go back into the next lane.Traffic is continually slowed by these IDIOTS. Re member it is the ME FIRST attitude here.

Driving many hundred of thousands of KMs here in Thailand and never encountered such behavior. You must have dreamed that.

Well you must drive with your eyes closed.facepalm.gif

I think people panic behind the wheel a lot here. I think Many Thais have driving dyslexia and confuse brake for gas and vice versa. Or maybe they confuse their left Foot for their right. Here's an example below. I've seen cars slam breaks and I go around them and there's nothing in road so must be in their head. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/879137-pickup-falls-from-central-festival-second-floor-parking-lot-injuring-two/

Exactly. Often on the highway, they slam the brakes, you go around them to find that there was absolutely nothing in front of them.

Not have that problem or other problems like that at all. does not matter if I drive big car or small car . if it is a rented rented car, company car or self owned car.

Come in many places with the cars like Bangkok, Phuket, Rayong, Nkhbon Ratchasima, Chaing Rai, Trat, and so on. So there most be something that you do that triggers this behavior.

Try watching some Thai TV news if you really want to see what's going on. The fact that Thailand has the second highest road deaths in the world, quite frankly makes your comments ridiculous.

...and 80% of those deaths are motorcyclists....take that out of the equation and you get a death rate about the same as USA.

I'd like to believe the number of yearly fatalities in Thailand involving 4 wheeled vehicles are the same as western countries but I doubt it very much

Not have that problem or other problems like that at all. does not matter if I drive big car or small car . if it is a rented rented car, company car or self owned car.

Come in many places with the cars like Bangkok, Phuket, Rayong, Nkhbon Ratchasima, Chaing Rai, Trat, and so on. So there most be something that you do that triggers this behavior.

Try watching some Thai TV news if you really want to see what's going on. The fact that Thailand has the second highest road deaths in the world, quite frankly makes your comments ridiculous.

...and 80% of those deaths are motorcyclists....take that out of the equation and you get a death rate about the same as USA.

I'd like to believe the number of yearly fatalities in Thailand involving 4 wheeled vehicles are the same as western countries but I doubt it very much

We did a study on that 2 years ago, and found that the fatality rate for cars was around the same as New Zealand. It's Sunday, so I don't have the numbers on hand though.