UK a long way from transgender equality, MPs say

webfact

UK a long way from transgender equality, MPs say

LONDON: -- Transgender people in the UK face "high levels of transphobia" on a daily basis and they have "a long way to go" to achieve equality in the UK, MPs say.

The Commons Women and Equalities Committee urged ministers to draw up a new strategy to tackle discrimination.

The NHS and prison service need urgent reform, its MPs said, and there should be more training for police officers and teachers in handling trans issues.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35302670

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-01-14

It could be that most Western transgender men , very rarely look like a woman but usually like a man in drag , i remember one when i lived in BKK even the Thai people were pointing at him and laughing . perhaps thats why they are not taken seriously.

It could be that most Western transgender men , very rarely look like a woman but usually like a man in drag , i remember one when i lived in BKK even the Thai people were pointing at him and laughing . perhaps thats why they are not taken seriously.

It reflects poorly on the people who laugh, the people who can't accept others for one reason or another,simple as that really.

Your assumption that transgendered people who may not look so feminine are not taken seriously is incorrect, as there is a portion of society that's intelligent enough to realise that there is a medical explanation responsible for the condition and that it's nothing to be laughed about. Irregardless of what stage a transgendered person may present at, it's nothing to laugh at.

It's appauling that in 2016, people are still being discriminate against due to either their sexuality etc. nothing to be proud about, that's for sure.

Me personally, I'd rather laugh at idiots on this forum and their narrow minded bigoted rubbish that they post.

Some people must secretly wish that society can return to the ages where we keep dark skinned fellows as slaves and disable people burnt to death. What a sad state of affairs.

Edited by neverdie

It reflects poorly on the people who laugh, the people who can't accept others for one reason or another,simple as that really.

Your assumption that transgendered people who may not look so feminine are not taken seriously is incorrect, as there is a portion of society that's intelligent enough to realise that there is a medical explanation responsible for the condition and that it's nothing to be laughed about. Irregardless of what stage a transgendered person may present at, it's nothing to laugh at.

It's appauling that in 2016, people are still being discriminate against due to either their sexuality etc. nothing to be proud about, that's for sure.

Me personally, I'd rather laugh at idiots on this forum and their narrow minded bigoted rubbish that they post.

Some people must secretly wish that society can return to the ages where we keep dark skinned fellows as slaves and disable people burnt to death. What a sad state of affairs.

I agree ,its disgusting what people say about black people , every white man should have one , lighten up mate . i was only making a point that most western transgenders dont look anything like women , its a fact , not my fault .

If you get your sexual kicks dressing up as a woman, fine. But don't expect me to applaud you.

My bet is nobody wanted your applause, get over yourself. Back under your bridge to biggotsville.

Edited by neverdie

If you get your sexual kicks dressing up as a woman, fine. But don't expect me to applaud you.

Transgender and transvestite are not the same, and neither has anything to do with "sexual kicks".

I am not aware that they are expecting your applause, just equal treatment.

Equal treatment in what way? ,are you not allowed to go anywhere ,banned from buses and taxis ,not allowed to vote , please do tell

I agree ,its disgusting what people say about black people , every white man should have one , lighten up mate . i was only making a point that most western transgenders dont look anything like women , its a fact , not my fault .

Mate, alot of Thai Sheila's look like monkeys but decent folk don't stand in the streets laughing at them.

Each to their own.

If someone presents with Gender Dysphoria, there's no need to laugh at them and for those that do you ought to hope that some #unt like me isn't nearby because it could result in a sudden attitude adjustment.

I don't think you're one of these types IC but I do think that you suggested reason reflects poorly on the people that practise this sort of behaviour.

This isn't a sexual perversion, it's a medical condition. I can just seen all those fools that stood around laughing at John merrick & how stupid they were.

It's 2016, just because people don't have the intelligence to understand something doesn't make their behaviour acceptable......quiet the opposite really.

;)

Transgender and transvestite are not the same, and neither has anything to do with "sexual kicks".

Equal treatment in what way? ,are you not allowed to go anywhere ,banned from buses and taxis ,not allowed to vote , please do tell

In Thailand?

How bout prevented from entering certain types of employment, prevented from obtaining health cover, being cussed at, abused and threatened in the street. Restricted from marrying. Having government paperwork stamped with a clause that you are mentally ill, just to name a few.

In Thailand?

How bout prevented from entering certain types of employment, prevented from obtaining health cover, being cussed at, abused and threatened in the street. Restricted from marrying. Having government paperwork stamped with a clause that you are mentally ill, just to name a few.

Sorry I thought the article was about the UK not Thailand, that is what I was talking about

Let's not forget the struggle homosexuals had before being 'accepted' into what society 'approves' as 'acceptable'. Even in this modern age, many suffer from homophobia. To me it is dark ages stuff and this is in no way different.

Edited by Minnie the Minx

In Thailand?

Sorry I thought the article was about the UK not Thailand, that is what I was talking about

Similar stuff goes on there, discrimination in the workplace, assaults in the street, prevented from marrying, there's probably plenty of others a transgendered person could enlighten us on.