Motorbikes to be seized from Phuket’s helmet-less drivers

webfact

Motorbikes to be seized from Phuket’s helmet-less drivers

1452739125_1-org.jpg
Phuket Governor Chamroen Tippayapongtada.

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Chamroen Tippayapongtada on Tuesday (Jan 12) announced a war on helmet-less motorcycle drivers and ordered all departments to put in place checks for 100 per cent helmet wearing in order to promote road safety on the island. Motorcycles will be seized from those who do not adhere to the law.

He also announced the launch of one month of road monitoring in each district to enforce the wearing of helmets of both motorcycle drivers and their passengers.

“Each district office, in collaboration with police, will set up designated zones to catch those who are not wearing helmets while traveling on Phuket roads.

“We are launching a war on helmet-less drivers under a campaign entitled ‘One Road One District’ where 100% of motorcyclists and passengers must wear a helmet, and it is down to officials to monitor the roads in their area day and night for one month to enforce the law.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/motorbikes-to-be-seized-from-phuket-helmet-less-drivers-55772.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-14

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

next: make people wear a proper helmet. majority of helmets i see offer virtually zero protection (except against birdshit of course).

Untrue, 98% of motorbikes rider are going anywhere from 2km/h to 45km/h even on the highway in phuket, those helmets are just fine for that kind of impact. They're not great but you have a decent chance at those speeds.

The problem with this is that it only promotes putting the helmet a few meters before the checkpoint and removing it right after as they dont stroll the streets to find offenders. Those stretches of roads where people remove or put helmets are so dangerous and as they start taking 3-4 lanes because theirs hands were already busy with food/mobiles

Edited by bearpolar

And what will happen after one month?I have heard it all before but maybe this time it will be longer lasting.And Stickylies of course makes a very good comment,

many helmets are not more then a glorified cap.

How would you make poor people pay for a better helmet?,maybe the government could make them and sell them at cost price.

Next issue will be many helmets will be stolen,people will need to lock them on the bike or carry them around while shopping at the market.

I had a good quality helmet stolen twice,now i also use cheap ones and have not had one stolen for eight years.

I think the "quality" of the helmets used here is disputable.

And I see more and more pro's with "full face" helmets (if that is the right word).

Just don't think that there are detailed rules/certifications of what a helmet is.

A noodle sieve with straps will probably go through wink.png

Harsh / draconian penalties are the only way to get this madness under control.

Lock away their toys.

(just dreaming)

Edited by KhunBENQ

next: make people wear a proper helmet. majority of helmets i see offer virtually zero protection (except against birdshit of course).

Untrue, 98% of motorbikes rider are going anywhere from 2km/h to 45km/h even on the highway in phuket, those helmets are just fine for that kind of impact. They're not great but you have a decent chance at those speeds.

The problem with this is that it only promotes putting the helmet a few meters before the checkpoint and removing it right after as they dont stroll the streets to find offenders. Those stretches of roads where people remove or put helmets are so dangerous and as they start taking 3-4 lanes because theirs hands were already busy with food/mobiles

I was doing less than 10km/h when some dogs attacked me, had I not had a decent full face helmet on I'd have needed extensive facial surgery! The visor was totally smashed.

And what will happen after one month?I have heard it all before but maybe this time it will be longer lasting.And Stickylies of course makes a very good comment,

many helmets are not more then a glorified cap.

How would you make poor people pay for a better helmet?,maybe the government could make them and sell them at cost price.

Next issue will be many helmets will be stolen,people will need to lock them on the bike or carry them around while shopping at the market.

I had a good quality helmet stolen twice,now i also use cheap ones and have not had one stolen for eight years.

Maybe the government could make them out of Rubber to help you bounce when you hit your head - a win win situation. cheesy.gif

RentingScooter-Helments.jpg

That's very true. Still only those poor helmets are approved here (approval sticker). Premium helmets such as Arai, Shoei, AGV etc. are not approved in Thailand and in many provinces you may need to pay for use of these helmets.

I still hope in case of accident insurance don't use that argument and leave us uncovered.

I was doing less than 10km/h when some dogs attacked me, had I not had a decent full face helmet on I'd have needed extensive facial surgery! The visor was totally smashed.

Carry a disposable lighter. Beasts still fear fire like in the ancient days...

I still laugh about that statement a few years ago by a senior central government official boldly stating that Thais did not really need helmets as they all had thicker skulls than the average human being - and he was being serious and not sarcastic.

He was probably speaking from his own experience and reference to his associates. In which case he may well be correct. On the thick scull, not the need for helmets.

Confusing that the police takes orders from a local governor.

Maybe some clean up of the organization could be in order.

Then maybe cops can work without waiting for the daily mode of the local governor.

The police are not "taking orders" from the Governor, he just made the announcement about the campaign. The report clearly states that the district offices are working in collaboration with the police.

So will the police directing traffic at schools and markets start impounding motorbikes? Of course not; that involves multi-tasking. If a cop is on traffic directing duty then traffic directing is what he does, nothing more. I'm sure you could hold up a store next to police on traffic duty and not have any bother from them as it's not their job.

They're going to have to buy a new fleet of pickup trucks and a new facility to transport and store all these seized motorbikes! I'm sure this order will last a week or two, just like every other"crack down" around here! I'm sure all the bars are still closing on time too as per the last big order....

It would be a great opportunity for a bit of pro-active policing that once stopped the m/cycle lights, tyres, exhaust and brakes etc are checked and dealt with. The driving licence, registration, insurance and alcohol level of the driver too.

I can't understand confiscating the bike for no helmet but for any of the above its a perfectly understandable way of deterring offenders.

some years ago i was stopped for wearing a top quality 100€ bicycle helmet on my wave... friendly copper said it was not allowed and i should buy "real" helmet giggle.gif

i rarely do more than 45km/h and feel much safer with the 100€ helmet as it's made from QC shock-absorbing materials and extra protects back of head and temples.