Police consider prosecuting Koh Tao victim's sister over Thailand criticism

webfact

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are they going to do ...........get interpol to issue an arrest warrant on her because of statements made ( which in her own mind she believes to be true) in her home country where it is not an offence to make such comments. I guess she has no intention of ever travelling to thailand in the future, so they wont " pick her up at the border"

Is this what the cyber crime unit is really for ..........................to monitor all social media for any anti thai comments and then issue arrest warrants for those making the comments?

where the statements made are true or not.

Most of the comment here are totally irrelevant. The stuff about reincarnation, restitution payment for death, go make a new one will be seen as miscommunication.

The real issue is her talking about the other deaths on the island which she says were covered up as accidents and suicides implying that the police know that they were murders and are not investigating them.

Just stop to criticize Thailand all the time! Its a commom sense allways to know it better! If someone is not happy with the things going on here,why not just leave?Nobody has to stay here its not a must.....we are all guests here and if we dont like the way it is, then just go back to your country.

And when back in your country then shure you start to criticize the goverment there and so it goes on and on?....

Let the Thai Police do there Job and enjoy the beautiful country here!

Wake up dreamer.

He is really living in a dream world, isn't he?

So if Thailand will prosecute her for negative remarks, what about all the TVF members comments? Should we be worried?

Hope so but discretion, balance and civility don't seem to be the hallmark of the Thai haters on this forum.

Edited by mydee

Wow and wow again

I live in Thailand, I accept the censorship, but I do not like it, if it becomes too big in my mind I can always leave

However in the free world there is freedom of speech

Is thailand trying to now police the world, and threatening people outside its jurisdiction, I hope not, because that is unacceptable

In todays modern world there are choices other than Thailand, and tourism will decline as will wealthy people retiring here

Suicide mission may I suggest

The BIB have outdone themselves again! what are they gonna do? fly to england and arrest her?

or demand the UK turn her over? madness amplified

Thailand has its own pressing internal issues to deal with. Stop messing around abroad!

This country is slowly degressing into totalitarianism??

Edited by jwongbkk

Wow and wow again

I live in Thailand, I accept the censorship, but I do not like it, if it becomes too big in my mind I can always leave

However in the free world there is freedom of speech

Is thailand trying to now police the world, and threatening people outside its jurisdiction, I hope not, because that is unacceptable

In todays modern world there are choices other than Thailand, and tourism will decline as will wealthy people retiring here

Suicide mission may I suggest

Well in EU media covers up immigrants rapes.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Let me get this straight: the Thai government thinks it can prosecute somebody in a foreign country for libel? Obviously if she's a UK national not residing in Thailand, there's nothing they can do. Do they think the UK would extradite her??

The Thai police, not the government, made this statement. If they want to investigate something, anything, up to them. The decision to prosecute would be made by the OAG, who has had been known to decline to proceed before.

The government should get a grip on the comments that spill out from the police. But even this government, just like all previous governments, doesn't seem to want to grasp the nettle and sort out the police, hard as it might be.

Thailand does have laws about commenting on trials, verdicts and judicial process and people living here, Thai or foreign, need to observe the law. But people outside Thailand are not under Thai law, and can say whatever the law in their country of residence permits. Others countries aren't going to worry about Thailand, Thai Laws and the "keeping face" culture.

Stirring the European press up, just before the EU fisheries audit, is probably not a good idea too.

Yet another despicable act by the rotten tomatoes.

RTP should get the translators at NNT to try to convert Laura's English-text into Thai. That will really confuse their dumb arse!

Even if they do decide to prosecute, I don't think the British police are going to provide much assistance with extradition.

Pretty sure they'd have trouble extraditing her. Don't know what is more remarkable, their lack of intellect, or their lack of compassion. Many problems in Thailand stem from the fact that they can't read English language very good, and therefore do not keep abreast of the foreign perception of Thailand... which is in the news daily pretty well and surprisingly available... so even the censors have no idea. It's always negative, and usually opines a fairly accurate state of affairs. If they took the time, they would understand where they really are in this universe. At the moment it is at the bottom of a deep deep pit.

The two Bumese guy's lives are in grave danger, this whole thing is getting out of complete control.

I fear they will be silenced once and for all....very soon.

I don't think this is going to go away either way and will just gain more publicity if the B2 are helped off a 3rd story balcony.

This young lady deserves answers, truthful and believable ones.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't her FB post contain a lot of expletives. If I am right then the words used certainly do not put her in the category of being a lady, young maybe but not the former, however if I am wrong, then I stand corrrected.

I presume Laura is in the UK and has no intention of setting foot in Thailand. If so, she is beyond Thai jurisdiction. What would be the practical effect of any investigation?

To prove that they all graduated from the Monty Python School of Idiots.

Hmm ?

Yes, 30 seconds in says it best. "There is this very REAL need for people to look down upon and ridicule".

The RTP fit that description perfectly.

The two Bumese guy's lives are in grave danger, this whole thing is getting out of complete control.

I don't think this is going to go away either way and will just gain more publicity if the B2 are helped off a 3rd story balcony.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't her FB post contain a lot of expletives. If I am right then the words used certainly do not put her in the category of being a lady, young maybe but not the former, however if I am wrong, then I stand corrrected.

If i had experienced all this young lady has, I think I'd use a lot of expletives as well.

That's what they are for.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thailand needs to rethink the concept of face.

1. In the last year they have lost so much face there is really not

much left.

2. Face in Thai culture is dependent upon less powerful people

keeping quiet when faced with bizarre antics of more powerful

people.

3. In the era of public media via the internet, people can no longer

be intimidated to be quiet. In fact such demands only infuriate

people even more. As Thailand is now finding out by threatening

Hannah's sister. What in the bleep are these people thinking ??

I know Thailand still exists in a feudal state, but at some point

they need to wake up to the new reality.....

If you can find anything positive about this whole <deleted> mess, perhaps it is that they may represent part of the death throes (which may last a long time) of this corrupt feudal system.

Maybe in years to come this will come to be a fitting epitaph for these two young people.

Edited by JAG

Let me get this straight: the Thai government thinks it can prosecute somebody in a foreign country for libel? Obviously if she's a UK national not residing in Thailand, there's nothing they can do. Do they think the UK would extradite her??

The Thai police, not the government, made this statement. If they want to investigate something, anything, up to them. The decision to prosecute would be made by the OAG, who has had been known to decline to proceed before.

The government should get a grip on the comments that spill out from the police. But even this government, just like all previous governments, doesn't seem to want to grasp the nettle and sort out the police, hard as it might be.

Thailand does have laws about commenting on trials, verdicts and judicial process and people living here, Thai or foreign, need to observe the law. But people outside Thailand are not under Thai law, and can say whatever the law in their country of residence permits. Others countries aren't going to worry about Thailand, Thai Laws and the "keeping face" culture.

Stirring the European press up, just before the EU fisheries audit, is probably not a good idea too.

I can see an element of bravado to save face and impress those of the public that know anything about this with the attitude that they are defending Thailand because a foreigner has dared to criticise.

As with many of the LM cases involving people outside the country they will know or very quickly be told they don't have a hope in hell of proceeding against this lady as she's unlikely to ever set foot here again and won't be extradited.

much left.

people.

If you can find anything positive about this whole <deleted> mess, perhaps it is that they may represent part of the death throes (which may last a long time) of this corrupt feudal system.

Maybe in years to come this may be a fitting epitaph for these two young people.

Wonderfully put, but do the Thai people have the same desire as their foreign guests?

For if they did the lunatics running the asylum would be removed in one night.

Hey guys excuse my ignorance..what's a VPN ?? Please..

VPN is a Virtual Private network

It works by creating an internet tunnel to a computer overseas so that it appears your computer is in that country. You can switch it on or off as you wish

There are free ones, in my view they are a total wast of money

There are a number of subscription ones that you can subscribe to. For example WiTopia is $50 a year with very solid backup and simple to use.

Em me if you want any further information

I echo your statement, BUT the present regime will not loose face and allow the verdict to be overturned.

It simply will not be allowed to happen.

I believe, that if the post is made out of Thailand, the brown clowns have no jurisdicktion (that's NOT a spelling mistake) over it. And by the way, why are they, and Thais in general, so apt to react to negative comments in such a strong, forceful and negative way? There's no smoke without fire. Why doesn't anyone wake up, sit up and notice that there may indeed be something amiss and let's clean house first before being so childish about what can be argued as not-exactly-incorrect statements.

The BIB have outdone themselves again! what are they gonna do? fly to england and arrest her?

or demand the UK turn her over? madness amplified

Thailand has its own pressing internal issues to deal with. Stop messing around abroad!

This country is slowly degressing into totalitarianism??

There's nothing they can do to her, but they could, if they felt there was a case, take action against the publishers of her comments in Thailand. I doubt they will as it is purely face-saving.

much left.

people.

Maybe in years to come this may be a fitting epitaph for these two young people.

Wonderfully put, but do the Thai people have the same desire as their foreign guests?

For if they did the lunatics running the asylum would be removed in one night.

I think that the Thais are becoming increasingly awakened to the cynical antics of those who rule over them and those that enforce that rule. It is a slow awakening, but "social media" is busting a lot of the flimsy opaque boundaries that have kept them in their place. Think of it as trying to kick your way out of a flimsy shack. There is a long way to go, but the expectations of change are growing, and the pace of that growth is going to accelerate. Change, when it comes may well be messy, perhaps even bloody, but I am optimistic it will come.

No her original post did not contain any expletives unless of course you consider the words 'shove it' expletives. Nice try though!