Police consider prosecuting Koh Tao victim's sister over Thailand criticism

webfact

Let me get this straight: the Thai government thinks it can prosecute somebody in a foreign country for libel? Obviously if she's a UK national not residing in Thailand, there's nothing they can do. Do they think the UK would extradite her??

What gave you the impression that the Thai government was thinking in the first place?

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They would have to be extremely stupid to try and sue her....Not only would it compound the issue in the media it would end up with

Everything that's happened being magnified and brought out into the open !! Mind you they are stupid so sit back and watch...Poor Laura...a massive wrongdoing has taken place over this whole issue and she has to put up with this after losing her beloved sister...

Surely for Thai public consumption, promoting the idea that the powers that be in Thailand have reach beyond their borders (in other words, fooling the slaves into thinking their masters have any real power).

I doubt he/they really believe they can achieve anything beyond passing some motion that if she ever goes to The Land Of Corruption they'd get her then.

Again, I say the British government needs to stand up for its citizens and warn them before going to that backwards and morally bankrupt country. This is salt in the wound for any British family who suffered when Thailand killed their family members.

What more proof do people need that Thailand does not respect its guests and needs boycotting?

Nearly all guests in Thailand have only positive things to think about the place until the Thais damage their own reputation by abusing people they should be taking care of. That is the bottom line: Thais have damaged their reputation and they deserve nothing less than to be openly held responsible and not be allowed to abuse the citizens of other countries.

Thailand, shame on you.

British government, shame on you even more.

You would think that this family have suffered enough and therefore earned the right to speak openly and voice their opinion in their own country wouldn't you?

It depend on whether you have morals and ethics and if you have a true sense of truth and justice, how civilised are you really.

Surely for Thai public consumption, promoting the idea that the powers that be in Thailand have reach beyond their borders (in other words, fooling the slaves into thinking their masters have any real power).

I doubt he/they really believe they can achieve anything beyond passing some motion that if she ever goes to The Land Of Corruption they'd get her then.

Again, I say the British government needs to stand up for its citizens and warn them before going to that backwards and morally bankrupt country. This is salt in the wound for any British family who suffered when Thailand killed their family members.

What more proof do people need that Thailand does not respect its guests and needs boycotting?

Nearly all guests in Thailand have only positive things to think about the place until the Thais damage their own reputation by abusing people they should be taking care of. That is the bottom line: Thais have damaged their reputation and they deserve nothing less than to be openly held responsible and not be allowed to abuse the citizens of other countries.

Thailand, shame on you.

British government, shame on you even more.

You would think that this family have suffered enough and therefore earned the right to speak openly and voice their opinion in their own country wouldn't you?

I think they have suffered enough, however maybe they can't sleep at night knowing that two alleged scapegoats and innocent boys will die for them not speaking out.

I would not feel very well for the rest of my life if it was my situation and two innocents might be on my conscience, they have mothers and families as well.

Well I find it perfectly normal to hold accountable a person who throws bulk accusations without any evidence to substantiate them.

Obviously we understand that her knowledge of the world has not exceeded the limits of his village as evidenced her complete misunderstanding of the remark stating that his sister would return in 30 days. The person who was speaking wanted to comfort her but one might think that the reincarnation of Buddhists subtleties not yet reached Norwich...

She is sister of the victim. This status confers she in the moment the opportunity to speak publicly is to be heard. So we listen politely but we are entitled ask to explain on behalf of persons or institutions it has unjustly blamed.

Your not serious are you...she has every right to say what she did...I'm sure 100% she's a honest girl and I have the utmost respect for her... She said what happened and I for one believe her..It would stack up with everything else that went on in the trial...Let the Thai Police prove what she said isn't true..She's in the UK now...our rules..do one RTP...

Wasn't there two Thai's that criticized the BIB and they are being charged and face an eight year gaol sentence for it?

Now they want to have a go at someone in another country for criticizing them.

The problem is that there are a lot of good BIB's out there but the comments and actions of some others have had a massive affect on the nation as a whole.

This will get bigger so it would be far better to not worry about "face" and concentrate on the issues that have caused this, going after the family's of the victims is not the way forward and someone should inform the PR boy's to this fact.

''The problem is that there are a lot of good BIB's out there...''

Do you say this, because you know some or because (as I used to) you take into consideration the law of averages and HOPE there are some good ones out there (and I mean REALLY good, 0% corrupt). I used to believe...:(

Ludicrous. She is a British subject living in her homeland and is not subject to the egregious defamation laws of Thailand. One wonders sometimes whether the idiots running the new Myanmar actually take lessons in how to make themselves look ridiculous;.

"She also wrote she had been threatened, chased, and offered bribes by Thais."

Now that's a real defamation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thais NEVER offer bribes.
Thais TAKE bribes.

Good luck with chasing an English woman who will never set a step into this country.

Well I find it perfectly normal to hold accountable a person who throws bulk accusations without any evidence to substantiate them.

Obviously we understand that her knowledge of the world has not exceeded the limits of his village as evidenced her complete misunderstanding of the remark stating that his sister would return in 30 days. The person who was speaking wanted to comfort her but one might think that the reincarnation of Buddhists subtleties not yet reached Norwich...

She is sister of the victim. This status confers she in the moment the opportunity to speak publicly is to be heard. So we listen politely but we are entitled ask to explain on behalf of persons or institutions it has unjustly blamed.

Your not serious are you...she has every right to say what she did...I'm sure 100% she's a honest girl and I have the utmost respect for her... She said what happened and I for one believe her..It would stack up with everything else that went on in the trial...Let the Thai Police prove what she said isn't true..She's in the UK now...our rules..do one RTP...

He is serious sadly some are blinded by the light.

Without any evidence, she is the evidence and I believe every word she's said, but some still live in the dark ages in LOS.

I say let them bring it on it will be helpfull to the B2, good on you Laura.wai2.gif

So much for freedom of speech but hea! But be a movie star and kill a police officer in a park car and walk away with a fine. Oh! maybe its the unusual suicide rate where the girlfriend was present but it always an accident? Thainess?????????????????

Thailand doesn't have freedom of speech.

Hey guys excuse my ignorance..what's a VPN ?? Please..

Before some ass comes and tells you ''Google is your friend'' or similair: VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It has many different functions but in laymans terms it allows you to interact in a public network (eg. Internet) as if you were on a private closed network. For forum purposes as an example you are able to hide your location as you connect through a VPN service which could be anywhere in the world. There are free and paid for services available. Do some research and see what suits you.

Edit to add: I see I was too late...Bangkok Barry took the ass route already ;)

Edited by SABloke

So if Thailand will prosecute her for negative remarks, what about all the TVF members comments? Should we be worried?

With all the stories about monitoring maybe we should and with good reason.

Now, now, we mustn't get upset with them. After all it is the farang English teachers fault for not teaching them how to understand or even spell the word CREDIBILITY.

Something doesn't have to be false to be defamation in Thailand. Idiot face thing.

Will the Junta never tire of bringing negative international attention to itself?

Do you realize that the commissioner of royal Thai police is not the junta right?

Well do consider this and judge for yourself whether he is connected to the junta. Pol Gen Chaktip is the lest senior of all the 5 deputy police chiefs who were candidates for the top post. However he has the closest ties with key military officers and good relationship with Dep PM Prawit, who is seen as a mover and shaker of the coup government. When meeting of the board to select the position, Prayuth was conspicuously absent and Prawit had free rein on the selection.

Is this better or worse than claiming reward money for solving a case? discuss?

Good luck polis with making that action stick in a non corrupt court of law.

there would be many character witnesses acting to help the lol 'face' of thai polis

ha ha ha good character, ha ha ha ha defamation, ha ha ha haiest reputation.

I would add there is a half man half woman walking on pattaya beach starting conversation with single men that has better reputation.

just sayin

Edited by mmh8

I read some of her comments in the Daily Express.

If what she has said is true - and I have no reason to doubt her - SHE is the one who has every reason to be upset.

Sister of murdered Briton claims cruel Thai police told parents to 'just make another one' HEARTLESS Thai officials allegedly told the parents of a murdered British backpacker to "go home and make another" child after their daughter was raped and killed on a tourist beach, it emerged today.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/633632/Thailand-Hannah-Witheridge-Laura-Witheridge-David-Miller-backpacker-murder

They would have to be extremely stupid to try and sue her....Not only would it compound the issue in the media it would end up with

Everything that's happened being magnified and brought out into the open !! Mind you they are stupid so sit back and watch...Poor Laura...a massive wrongdoing has taken place over this whole issue and she has to put up with this after losing her beloved sister...

Everything that's happened being magnified and brought out into the open !!

I agree with your sentiment, but every blatant injustice that involves dubious deaths in Thailan should be brought to the worlds attention, especially as there are so many.. hopefully the impervious will eventually yield to what is right and just.. only pressure from outside forces will bring this about.

This is so childish. Thais love to cut their nose to spite their face. DAILY! blink.png

It's not childish, it's utterly repugnant and unfortunately, so typically Thai!

I'd like to qualify that (accurate) observation, it's typical of the class running Thailand. Edited by JAG