Police consider prosecuting Koh Tao victim's sister over Thailand criticism

webfact

So if Thailand will prosecute her for negative remarks, what about all the TVF members comments? Should we be worried?

Yes you should be worried.

Even on a US based travel forum website, an Anantara representative came online to threaten defamation charges against posters who spoke ill of their timeshare concept!

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Truth shall set you free...constructive criticism is a good thing to help reshape a disagreeable behavior...unless you are in Thailand...both may get you arrested and sent in for some mandatory reconstructive thinking...

The masses wait patiently for their turn to speak freely...

So much for freedom of speech but hea! But be a movie star and kill a police officer in a park car and walk away with a fine. Oh! maybe its the unusual suicide rate where the girlfriend was present but it always an accident? Thainess?????????????????

Bottom line RTP is that you have absolutely no jurisdiction on anything said by any foreigner in relation to anything outside this country. Thailand is not the center of the Universe like so many of your kind think. I'll leave it at that.

Soooo...let me see, if I get this right: they will sue her...although she is not IN Thailand and -according to her remarks- never will be!

How and where do they sue her?

The Hague?

And what will be her punishment?

Will she not be allowed to ever enter Thailand again?

I guess, she will be heartbroken over that!

This is stupid on so many different levels!

But...did we expect otherwise?

I presume Laura is in the UK and has no intention of setting foot in Thailand. If so, she is beyond Thai jurisdiction. What would be the practical effect of any investigation?

To prove that they all graduated from the Monty Python School of Idiots.

What this and so many other situations here require is for someone senior to say to subordinates that all aspects of a situation and the potential consequences need to be considered before a response of any kind is made.

However when it comes to perceived loss of face the need for an immediate knee jerk reaction goes all the way to the top so there's no common sense or leadership applied.

exactly what law could she have violated? She is not in Thailand, her fb page is not in Thailand, anything she is doing so far is completely within the law of the country where she resides, as well as the country where the fb page is hosted. Thai Authorities has no jurisdiction whatsoever in this situation.

They can still file charges. Look up "John Oliver Thailand" on Youtube.

Which of her quotes have been refuted thru follow up investigation?

I'll try to find the source, but many more comments were made. Specifically about the trial process, payments offered, and some very rude comments from Thai officials.

I presume Laura is in the UK and has no intention of setting foot in Thailand. If so, she is beyond Thai jurisdiction. What would be the practical effect of any investigation?

To prove that they all graduated from the Monty Python School of Idiots.

Hmm ?

Edited by Nicolas32

Re: Police "consider" prosecuting Koh Tao victim's sister over Thailand criticism

The keyword here is "consider". Your typical knee-jerk reaction you've learned to expect from Thai authorities. Very little, if any, thought put into this statement. Most probably said in the morning and forgotten by the afternoon.

Which of her quotes have been refuted thru follow up investigation?

In Thai law it doesn't matter at all if what someone says is true. It is a criminal offence to criticize anyone for anything if can be deemed to damage their reputation. How they go about prosecuting someone in a foreign country for exercising free speech will be interesting to see. In reality, it is just another example of hot air and nothing can or will happen.

I'm awaiting the day when the powers that be apprehend tv members for free speech. One must understand that to speak your mind is not allowed in Thailand since this is considered an effrontery and not to be discussed albeit in private or public. Democracy in this country is acceptable as long as you do what your told.

Perfectly put my lord.

Would think Chakthip Chaijinda & Royal Thai Police have a more important task to utilise their resources bringing the 'Puppeteer from Dubai' to face justice, than adding more stress to a bereaved family who have suffered enough over past few years.

Surely for Thai public consumption, promoting the idea that the powers that be in Thailand have reach beyond their borders (in other words, fooling the slaves into thinking their masters have any real power).

I doubt he/they really believe they can achieve anything beyond passing some motion that if she ever goes to The Land Of Corruption they'd get her then.

Again, I say the British government needs to stand up for its citizens and warn them before going to that backwards and morally bankrupt country. This is salt in the wound for any British family who suffered when Thailand killed their family members.

What more proof do people need that Thailand does not respect its guests and needs boycotting?

Nearly all guests in Thailand have only positive things to think about the place until the Thais damage their own reputation by abusing people they should be taking care of. That is the bottom line: Thais have damaged their reputation and they deserve nothing less than to be openly held responsible and not be allowed to abuse the citizens of other countries.

Thailand, shame on you.

British government, shame on you even more.

You would think that this family have suffered enough and therefore earned the right to speak openly and voice their opinion in their own country wouldn't you?

if they would just stop beeing idiots and let that story rest they would do their country a much better service that now.

That they now investigate the sister did already make news in europe and to avoid that should be more important that saving face by some investigation of a person that will never visit thailand again !

I think they should investigate as this will bring more exposure to her story and amplifie how bungled the investigation was and maybe embarress themselves into arresting the real perps.

I think the post "feathers ruffled ' correct Id say very ruffled, the puppets are on the world stage now.wai2.gif