Phuket tourism businesses must be legal by end of January or else

snoop1130

Phuket tourism businesses must be legal by end of January or else
Eakkapop Thongtub

post-249866-0-76239900-1452857182_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Phuket officials have sent a warning to tourism businesses across the island: be legal by the end of January or pay hefty fineswith possible jail time.

The sentiment was echoed by officials of all levels of Phuket government during a meeting yesterday (Jan 14) at Provincial Hall, which wasset for lawmakers to follow-up on policy concerning safety issues at tourist operations across the island. Phuket Vice Governor Dr Prajiad Aksornthammakul presided over the meeting, which included discussion of plans to clean-up the local tourism industry, especially animal shows, in a way that would help promote a positive and safe image of the island.

Officials say that about 45 tourism businesses operate illegally out of the roughly 80 man-made adventure businesses in Phuket – which include elephant farms/trekking, ATV attractions, animal shows, shooting ranges, go-kart racing and other adventure parks – that still need to be inspected.

V/G Prajiad told The Phuket News that more than 10 of those business operators include animals in their shows and that they will get a visit from officials from the Phuket Provincial Livestock Office to ensure that they follow international safety standards.

After January, officials will inspect all businesses to check if they follow the law. Penalties for all tour businesses that fail to register will be jail time for up to two years or a fine of B500,000, said Santi Pawai , Director of Ministry of Tourism and Sports Phuket Office.

Meanwhile, tourism businesses that include animals will be fined up to B200,000 if they fail to obtain the proper permits, said Phuket City Deputy Superintendent, Lt Col Saman Chainarong.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourism-businesses-must-be-legal-by-end-of-january-or-else-55799.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-15

And there you have it "a positive and safe image of the island".

Appearance over substance.

Well said! And, there is a big difference between legal and scam-free, safe, user-friendly. When the latter is achieved, then it will be worth talking about. Until then, it's all just more hot air. coffee1.gif

Just an observation but I don't believe that the real problem here is one of legality or at least not entirely.

What nobody ever addresses, because they don't know it themselves, is the issue of social responsibility.

There is no moral obligation. If asked they will honestly and sincerely tell you that they are just trying to make money. So what is wrong with that.

The answer of course is that there is nothing wrong with it. It is how you make it that is at question ergo the question of social responsibility.

Let me translate the title. "All Tourist Businesses who are not paying Tea Money to the Right People can expect a raise in unofficial fees, with several small operators to be made examples of--or else."

Nonsense, it is easy to be legal and avoid paying anything. Only businesses operating illegally are paying tea money.

Let me translate the title. "All Tourist Businesses who are not paying Tea Money to the Right People can expect a raise in unofficial fees, with several small operators to be made examples of--or else."

Nonsense, it is easy to be legal and avoid paying anything. Only businesses operating illegally are paying tea money.

So long as your legal business does not succumb to the many scams - like music license scam, fake police shakedown, etc, etc - as a business manager we have had our fair share of shakedowns, which we never paid as we are a legal business.

So long as your legal business does not succumb to the many scams - like music license scam, fake police shakedown, etc, etc - as a business manager we have had our fair share of shakedowns, which we never paid as we are a legal business.

As you said, you mever paid because you are legal.

Plus the scams you mention don't really apply to the tourism businesses they're talking about in this article.

As you said, you mever paid because you are legal.

Plus the scams you mention don't really apply to the tourism businesses they're talking about in this article.

Are you kidding Steven. What about the police shakedowns on dive instructors with WP at Chalong pier.

There was just one in Krabi for Phuket dive instructors. They arrested 7, and guess what? At least 5 of them had visa/passport issues, and only one of them was fully legal. So I feel sorry for the one guy who got caught in this, but they all should have known better. There is in all these cases more to it than meets the eye.

Dream on.

My Mom use to say something like that: "Conner Aiden Mothersbraugh! Don't ever do that again OR ELSE!!! <if she uses your full name, you know you're in trouble...not>

"Ok Mom. I promise I'll never do it again <Dream on>."