Letter Of Residence For Driving Licence

Please could someone tell me what l need to get a letter of residence at the British Embassy in order to get my 5 year Thai driving licence cost and opening times would be appreciated also many Thanks .

You do not need to go to the British Embassy.

Just go to your local Immigration Office with your passport, two photos per licence and current licence(s).

You will need a Certficate of Residence for each licence and I believe the cost when I did it was ฿200 per certificate.

my licence has expired already.............. do l need to go to the British Embassy or not?

No.

Btw, the only way you will get a 5 year licence is when your licence has already expired... :o

Does any one know where the local immigration offficers are l am in Sukhumvit 71

my licence has expired already.............. do l need to go to the British Embassy or not?

No.

Btw, the only way you will get a 5 year licence is when your licence has already expired... :o

Does any one know where the local immigration offficers are l am in Sukhumvit 71

Click here and if you are not satisfied with that, try Google...

Edit:

This may help:

post-3455-1161073042_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noel

Thanks for the MAP may l ask what would be the reason for me to go there rather than the British Embassy that is nearer to my home???? is it cheaper at the local immigration office?

:D

Have you ever been to the British Embassy and if so, how long did you wait?

I have already told you that I paid ฿200 per certificate, whilst it has also been made known that some Immigration Offices do not even charge.

Do you honestly believe that the British Embassy would do anything for less than £3? :D

As a matter of tepid interest, where did you get your Certificate of Residence for your first Thai Driving Licence from?

You do have a Thai Driving Licence, don't you...? :o

Yes l do have a Thai licence or l dd it ran out last week and yes l got my first letter from The British Embassy BUt l have no idea what l paid.

If it is a lot more than 200B Then of course its worth going to the immigration office do you know the cost?

Thanks for your help.

Steve.

my licence has expired already.............. do l need to go to the British Embassy or not? if l dont could you tell me where my nearest office is l live in Sukhumvit 71 THANKS

My experience in Koh Samui is that the imigration office is the best and cheapest option for the residence certificate.

However there may be a slight problem at the licensing authority since your license has already expired. In Samui (and it may be different elesewhere) is that if you want the 5 year one you actually have to go on the day that the original 1 year one expires. If you go before the date they only issue another one year license and if you go after you may actually have to go through the process again including the tests .. but at the least you only get a 1 year license again. If you go on the actual expiration date they renew it through to your next birthday after the 5 year .. so it may in fact be longer than 5 years. The cost of the 5 year license is about 500b ... plus you need the photos and the medical and residency document.

This process is another one of the wonders of Thailand and I understand it happens in the same manner for Thais and farangs and in fact has only just recently got better for the Thais as in the past they had to go back to their home village to get or renew their license.

Sorry to be so stupid what is a AMPHUR and where can l find one ok you have convinced me l will forget about the Embasy .

Forget about Amphurs just go to Immigration...........

If you ask Noel nicely he may even run you down there..... :D:o

Unfortunately, I am busy as I have just signed up for a dentistry course.

As posting on this thread is akin to pulling teeth, I thought I may as well get fully qualified... :D

my licence has expired already.............. do l need to go to the British Embassy or not? if l dont could you tell me where my nearest office is l live in Sukhumvit 71 THANKS

My experience in Koh Samui is that the imigration office is the best and cheapest option for the residence certificate.

However there may be a slight problem at the licensing authority since your license has already expired. In Samui (and it may be different elesewhere) is that if you want the 5 year one you actually have to go on the day that the original 1 year one expires. If you go before the date they only issue another one year license and if you go after you may actually have to go through the process again including the tests .. but at the least you only get a 1 year license again. If you go on the actual expiration date they renew it through to your next birthday after the 5 year .. so it may in fact be longer than 5 years. The cost of the 5 year license is about 500b ... plus you need the photos and the medical and residency document.

This process is another one of the wonders of Thailand and I understand it happens in the same manner for Thais and farangs and in fact has only just recently got better for the Thais as in the past they had to go back to their home village to get or renew their license.

It was the same for me in Pattaya when I did my 5 year car and 5 year bike licenses last year (need 2 licenses here in Thailand). I was told I had to go on the day it expired or would only get a 1 year extension.

It was the same for me in Pattaya when I did my 5 year car and 5 year bike licenses last year (need 2 licenses here in Thailand). I was told I had to go on the day it expired or would only get a 1 year extension.

Errmm, strange as it may sound, but that is not the case at all in Pattaya.

If you apply whilst your licence is still valid, you will only get a one year licence not a licence for five years.

If you did as you said you did and managed to get five year licences, be thankful that they were having an off day... :o

If you apply whilst your licence is still valid, you will only get a one year licence not a licence for five years.

If you did as you said you did and managed to get five year licences, be thankful that they were having an off day... :o

I think we are saying the same thing .. have to go on the day it expires to get a 5 year license ... not before and not after

I think we are saying the same thing .. have to go on the day it expires to get a 5 year license ... not before and not after

No, not in my personal experience and that of others.

To get a five year licence in Pattaya, you must go after your licence has expired.

Noel.....i/m with you on this one..........has to be expired for 5 year renewal in Pattaya.

Noel........dentistry course or washing your hair...........it would only take you a day to run to Bangkok and back and help this man in out!

Sure you have bugger elae all to do... :o:D

Yes same in Phuket. You have to apply after it has run out. In fact, the head fellow from licensing answered some questions on that very subject in this weeks phuket gazette.

He said you can get your 5 year licence any time up to 1 year after your licence has run out.

Sounds bizarre but TIT eh.

I stand corrected - I actually had to go back the DAY AFTER it expired - I actually thought I had written that - apologies for any confusion!!!

Sorry a bit off topic but, does a Thai driver license is generally "accepted" in western countries? And does one need to apply for an international driver permit - if so where can you get that?

Thai driver license is NOT generally accepted by the western countries. You may apply for the international license here in Bangkok.

Sorry a bit off topic but, does a Thai driver license is generally "accepted" in western countries? And does one need to apply for an international driver permit - if so where can you get that?

Thai driver license is NOT generally accepted by the western countries. You may apply for the international license here in Bangkok.

In the UK you can drive on your home countries licence for up to 1 year (3 years for EU countries). After that you need the appropriate UK licence.

Unlike Thailand, international driving permits are not required in the UK, but I would recommend getting one if you were planning to drive whilst there just to simplify matters if you got stopped by the police.

The IDP needs to be obtained in your home country.

Noel.....i/m with you on this one..........has to be expired for 5 year renewal in Pattaya.

Noel........dentistry course or washing your hair...........it would only take you a day to run to Bangkok and back and help this man in out!

Sure you have bugger elae all to do... :o:D

:D

On a more positive note, perhaps I could snap up a minibus at a bargain price from one of the Visa Run companies when they go out of business and then start a Driving Licence Run service... :D

There seems to be some disagreement as to how to renew one's first Thai driver's license in Bangkok to get a 5 year one re residence/address verification. I did a search of the internet and was lead back to thaivisa:

Renewal of Thai driving license

Documents needed for renewal of Thai driving license:

Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

Two 1 inch photos (available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building)

Your old Thai driving license.

Submit in the morning and you receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon. Fee 105 Baht.

There is no mention whatsoever of needing to go to one's embassy or immigration to get verification of one's address... or is this old information?

Anyone with recent experience of getting their 5 year license in Bangkok please comment. I cannot find the web address for the Ministry of Transportation.

Thanks. :o

There seems to be some disagreement as to how to renew one's first Thai driver's license in Bangkok to get a 5 year one re residence/address verification. I did a search of the internet and was lead back to thaivisa:
Renewal of Thai driving license

Documents needed for renewal of Thai driving license:

Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

Two 1 inch photos (available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building)

Your old Thai driving license.

Submit in the morning and you receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon. Fee 105 Baht.

There is no mention whatsoever of needing to go to one's embassy or immigration to get verification of one's address... or is this old information?

Anyone with recent experience of getting their 5 year license in Bangkok please comment. I cannot find the web address for the Ministry of Transportation.

Thanks. :D

For a start, the fee quoted above is for a 1 year licence.

Perhaps having a read through this pinned thread may help eliminate some confusion in some areas... :o