Phuket officials probe beach entry fee payments

webfact

Authorities are investigating what to do after learning that beachgoers were charged B20 for access to Laem Sing, a public beach.

They were charging this when I went there (once, shitty little beach full of loud Italians) 20 years ago, and the 'authorities' have only just 'learned' this? Pfft. What percent was going up the chain?

I read on the local news source that no longer exists, that the access land to the beach is owned by Channel 7 Thailand. I'm not sure what the access laws are here, there are places like Paradise Beach that seem to charge to use their land to access a public beach (which they act like is theirs) and Nui Beach, around the corner from Kata Noi. Then there's the beach at Le Maridien, where they usually grant you access, especially if you have a drink or a bite to eat.

There have been lengthy legal battles In California making property owners allow the public access to what they considered their private beaches, the owners lost every time. I wonder if we'll ever read the outcome of this case as there never seems to be a follow up story on much of anything we read in the news around here!

I've never had 'a drink or a bite to eat' at the overpriced Meridien. I'm simply waved through.